I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Perineal Biopsy

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 12:14

Having a perineal biopsy shortly and will extremely concerned about this. Also worried about catheterization as sometimes have a poor flow rate, possibly have chronic urinary retention.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 20:14

Hi Scotia,

I had a perineal biopsy in April '22.  I didn't need a catheter afterwards.  I had poor flow rate too but no retention issues.

The procedure itself was not too bad.  I lay back in a raised chair, with my legs raised and supported.  They give me a local anaesthetic, and once it has taken effect, they began.  I could hear a slight 'click' of the device as they take each sample, and there was sometimes a slight sting, but the anaesthetic dampened any discomfort.  At one point, I did get an increase in discomfort, but they noticed me wince and offered more anaesthesia straight away.  The procedure probably took about 45 minutes to an hour.  When it was finished, they helped me down from the chair, in case I was dizzy after lying back for so long and asked me to wait for about 15 minutes to make sure I was OK.  They asked me not to drive home due to the anaesthesia.  I found the staff very caring.  They chatted to me throughout the procedure, which helped to distract me from any discomfort. 

I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to do 😀.

If you are really worried, you could ask for a General Anaesthetic, but this may cause a further delay in having the biopsy.

Take good care of yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 23:16

Like Jedsee I found the biopsy ok. I also have poor flow rate but didn’t need a catheter. Yes, it’s a bit uncomfortable but much better than going through the back passage. You are placed in a position lying on your back with your legs in stirrups  but the nurses are excellent at protecting your modesty and keeping you occupied during the procedure. You will notice blood in your urine and semen after it for a few days but I was out riding my bike quite soon after the procedure. In comparison to other parts of this journey  I wouldn’t be too worried about the biopsy, I’m sure you will be fine. 😊

Good Luck!

Derek

Edited by member 03 Aug 2023 at 23:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2023 at 22:54

I don't know why so many of you go for local anaesthetics!  There was no way I was going to lie there and be repeatedly jabbed up the perineum whilst awake!  You can request a general anesthetic - have a pleasant sleep and it's all over - far more civilized!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 20:14

Hi Scotia,

I had a perineal biopsy in April '22.  I didn't need a catheter afterwards.  I had poor flow rate too but no retention issues.

The procedure itself was not too bad.  I lay back in a raised chair, with my legs raised and supported.  They give me a local anaesthetic, and once it has taken effect, they began.  I could hear a slight 'click' of the device as they take each sample, and there was sometimes a slight sting, but the anaesthetic dampened any discomfort.  At one point, I did get an increase in discomfort, but they noticed me wince and offered more anaesthesia straight away.  The procedure probably took about 45 minutes to an hour.  When it was finished, they helped me down from the chair, in case I was dizzy after lying back for so long and asked me to wait for about 15 minutes to make sure I was OK.  They asked me not to drive home due to the anaesthesia.  I found the staff very caring.  They chatted to me throughout the procedure, which helped to distract me from any discomfort. 

I would do it all again tomorrow if I had to do 😀.

If you are really worried, you could ask for a General Anaesthetic, but this may cause a further delay in having the biopsy.

Take good care of yourself.

JedSee.

User
Posted 03 Aug 2023 at 23:16

Like Jedsee I found the biopsy ok. I also have poor flow rate but didn’t need a catheter. Yes, it’s a bit uncomfortable but much better than going through the back passage. You are placed in a position lying on your back with your legs in stirrups  but the nurses are excellent at protecting your modesty and keeping you occupied during the procedure. You will notice blood in your urine and semen after it for a few days but I was out riding my bike quite soon after the procedure. In comparison to other parts of this journey  I wouldn’t be too worried about the biopsy, I’m sure you will be fine. 😊

Good Luck!

Derek

Edited by member 03 Aug 2023 at 23:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 Aug 2023 at 10:10

Hi Scotia, when I had my biopsy which I didn’t know I was going for one, but my bone scan result beat my appointment, so a bit of a shock at first, although cupping my privates in my hands a little embarrassing, local anaesthetic done then the main show only of the needles I only felt one needle as the consultant directed the needles to get best results, otherwise no problems afterward, only thing I had to do was to ask them to lighten the tone during the biopsy because the sombre mood was hard work after that no issues when the team started joking on, hope this helps DaveH

User
Posted 04 Aug 2023 at 22:54

I don't know why so many of you go for local anaesthetics!  There was no way I was going to lie there and be repeatedly jabbed up the perineum whilst awake!  You can request a general anesthetic - have a pleasant sleep and it's all over - far more civilized!