I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Bloody catheter

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 09:42

Hello again. The wife here…. Yes things are still very emotional and I’m not coping with the advanced stages of this b….d cancer. Anyway Doc has a flip flow catheter inserted - tubs clear then bloody, cleats through day again bag is quite bloody in morning. Not red red but bloody if that makes sense.
Has anyone else gone through this, what was outcome? He’s to be tested for anaemia but both his son (cancer nurse) and his own cancer nurse said this is common. It’s so draining for him that I think he’s now letting it control what he does daily and his quality of life. I’m encouraging him to move and get out but he’s wallowing. It really is affecting our relationship. Any suggestions apart from a one way ticket to the moon haha! 
Christ I hate this rollercoaster 😵‍💫

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 14:04

Wife of D , I am frequently told blood in the catheter is "normal", not a word that I like using. I have a suprapubic catheter with a flip flo but it is mostly on free drainage, I do get the odd clot and trace of blood but usually after doing something strenuous. I occasionally get a bit of blood from my penis when passing a motion.

The catheter could be irritating the bladder, it could just be in the wrong spot. He could be allergic to the catheter.

Not everyone can get on with a flip flo valve and it could be causing issues.

I can't see that you have had radiotherapy treatment lately so that is probably not the cause. 

Perhaps unwelcome but has he had a camera into his bladder. With the approval of his medical team it may be worth trying a bag with the flip flo on free drainage. I assume the idea of the flip flo is to keep the bladder working as normal as possible. Does he get the signal.to open the valve and how much does he pass each time.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 09 Aug 2023 at 18:57

I've been catheterised for almost 4 months. When I had urodynamics done (catheter removed and bladder muscles tested/fluid pumped in via thinner tube) and a new catheter was fitted afterwards I bled for 5 days. Had to wear incontinence pants at night and was stuck to them by morning (sorry if too much information!).

The urology nurse warned me this might happen, and I also ran it by my GP, wondering if I needed antibiotics, but he said it would clear. I drank lots more fluids to flush my system and it cleared. If he's not drinking enough fluids then his concentrated urine will darken to the colour of pine disinfectant.

Another thing which can cause bleeding and blood clots is if he gives the bag/tube a sharp tug, such as when bathing/treading on it.

I've a Catheter Passport, a booklet which gives information and the insertion date and who to contact if there's an issue. It's all about infection control. Urologically he needs to drink at least 2L a day and not hesitate over this because a leg bag will fill and need emptying.

The flip-flo is possibly better than the other type of valve, which I have on my bags, as it's possible on a rare occasion to press the valve's click slider on mine with your legs in bed or when resting crossed-legged on a footstool and empty the entire bag. The flip-flo, a tap, requires more direct input.

Bit of advice about future urine leaks - when he sits down on the loo and feels the need to pee as well as the other, he will be peeing against gravity, the tube over the loo seat, so it's normal for some urine to sprinkle out the sides of the catheter tube around the pee-hole. Place a piece of bog paper there to save pants getting sprinkled.

Although in-situ catheters can be left in for 3 months, my current one, in for 2, keeps coming apart now after 8 bag changes (you change the leg bag each week), I think the inside of the urethral tube wears so the bag end slides out no matter how hard the ribbed bung is pushed into the catheter tube and I resorted to using a cable tie as a clamp. So keep an eye out for this in month 3 and contact district nurses/catheter clinic for an early change if it happens.

Asda selll a bottle of Urine Neutraliser for £2. It's actually for pet spills, carpets and furnishings, but works for men and their little accidents too.

Does he have a 2L night bag & stand? Contact district nurses if not. This connects to the end of the leg bag drain tube and prevents backflow of stale urine into the bladder if he sleeps soundly and the 500ml leg bag fills up. It syphons everything away and the leg bag then remains empty during the night. The 2L night bag is changed each day.

When out walking he needs to arrange his thigh strap into a comfortable position and high enough up that it will remain in place, and maybe apply some lube where the pee hole & tube meet if everything's dry or he may get a chinese burn and a little bleeding there. I wear the 2 bag straps above the knee cap and around the lower leg or they slip down.

I travelled 30 miles to a urology clinic last week, 3 bus changes there, 3 back, and all around a hospital, away from home for 8 hours. When on a long trip out I wear absorbent disposable underpants for extra confidence (Depend Comfort-Protect brand off Amazon) and black joggers/trackies to hide any tubes and the leg bag as it fills or dreaded spots.

If I can do this, walking with a stick after spinal surgery, your husband can.

Edited by member 10 Aug 2023 at 01:41  | Reason: Not specified