I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

mental health

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 09:28

My dad higher than normal PSA so has seen a consultant.  He has mental health issues (paranoid depression) which means he can't deal with problems, big or small, as we would. Especially medical ones. He wouldn't let consultant do a physical exam and is nervous about CT scan consultant has booked.

Consultant said as dad is 85 there wouldn't be treatment anyway.

If anyone can help us with advise about whether it's better to let dad not know if there's any bad news so he can just have quality of life rather than having scans which may show something bad which won't be treated anyway and may send him into a dark place mentally we'd really appreciate the help.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 19:54

Hi sioux. 

This is not really correct. Your dad probably wouldn't be suitable for radical treatment (surgery, radiotherapy) because of his age and mental health. My dad was diagnosed about the same age and was put on hormone therapy which kept the prostate cancer at bay until he passed away at 93 from other causes. Unfortunately if your dad is unable to tolerate a DRE and MRI scan then a diagnosis is not going to be possible.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 09:28

My dad higher than normal PSA so has seen a consultant.  He has mental health issues (paranoid depression) which means he can't deal with problems, big or small, as we would. Especially medical ones. He wouldn't let consultant do a physical exam and is nervous about CT scan consultant has booked.

If anyone can help us with advise about whether it's better to let dad not know if there's any bad news so he can just have quality of life rather than having scans which may show something bad which won't be treated anyway and may send him into a dark place mentally we'd really appreciate the help.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 14:15

Thanks Ian and sorry to hear about your mum's illness.  It must be so hard for everyone waiting for the inevitable and that's what we want to avoid if dad's diagnosis isn't a good one. A support nurse phoned a while ago and said the consultant will speak to me before his scan and it may be possible for me to have the results, then with their help decide what/how to tell him. I'm not comfortable lying to him if it's bad but have to think first about his mental health. 

I hope your mum and your family can enjoy the time she has left.

Thanks ... Sioux

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 14:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

my dad at 83, had a breakdown leading to MH unit admission for 4 months. I think perhaps not knowing would have been better as he lost four reasonably healthy months sort of wasted  in there and passed 6 months later at 84. In his case there was treatment offered but he was sadly mentally unable to deal with the situation. 

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 15:11

thanks for your reply, we know from personal experience (several times) how hard it is to deal with MH unit admission and so sorry for your loss Turkey2222

sioux

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 22:07

It is a somewhat difficult question, because it is an ethical question. Fifty years ago it was considered acceptable for people who new what is best, to make decisions on behalf of people who wouldn't have made the right decision themselves. If you look at forced adoptions, forced sterilisation, experimentation on servicemen you can see that it is not a good route to go down.

Of course we don't allow children or the insane to make important decisions, probably with some justification.

If your dad is not informed he cannot make decisions about HT which is a possible treatment, also if he knows his life is limited he may want to spend it on holiday, or chasing fast cars and fast women; good choices, but ones he can't make without all the information. 

You consider a cancer diagnosis may impact his life so badly that it outweighs his right to make informed choices. If you know the diagnosis and he doesn't you will have to continue making choices on his behalf without his consent.

The following is my personal opinion. If he can't know his diagnosis I wouldn't want to know it either, because there is no way I would want to be making decisions for him or preventing him making informed decisions. I would want him to stop the diagnosis process, now.  

Dave

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:39

Yes, I agree in principal about the ethics of choosing for someone else and the doors it can open for someone to be making choices for the wrong reasons, however, in this case we've had to make choices for dad for a very long time and always with his and our mum's best interests and welfare first.  That's why I'm tying myself in knots about what is the best thing to do, not sure there is a right answer to this one.

thanks for your input.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:42

I have LPA for mum but not dad as he couldn't face answering the questions about his wishes (eg life sustaining treatment) on the forms!  He did, however, give permission to the doctors for them to deal with me and thankfully, probably because of his MH history, they are taking notice of that.  

thanks for your input

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 09:51
I really feel for you, my dad didn’t handle his diagnosis at all well ( bladder cancer) the knowledge took from him the opportunity of carrying on enjoying the next few healthy months of his life, he said if he had cancer he wouldn’t cope with the illness or treatment and sadly he was right, despite our reassurances. I look back and keep wondering what we could have done differently to have helped him manage the fears and avoided the MH admission.

If he has capacity I am not sure that his own health conditions can be hidden from him by the doctors?

It is really hard dealing with a loved ones mental fragility I hope that this is a false alarm.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 11:41

This is a difficult one, and one I nearly faced with dad in his late 80's when they thought they might have made an incidental discovery of prostate cancer bone mets on a CT scan for something else. Fortunately, further investigation dismissed prostate cancer.

A question you might ask is, in the absence of prostate cancer, how long do you expect dad to live? You could then ask his consultant how long he might live with the prostate cancer untreated. If the second exceeds the first, you might choose to leave it untreated, except both are only guesses, and they could be significantly wrong.

Another option would be watchful waiting. Basically, wait until he has some symptoms, and then start treating. It might be that he could start on Bicalutamide tablets at that point (a mild hormone therapy drug). It typically works for 6-24 months, stopping and even slightly reversing the cancer growth. It doesn't cause as many side effects as the more powerful hormone therapy injections. In particular, it doesn't cause osteoporosis when used by itself without the hormone therapy injections (actually quite the opposite - it strengthens bones).

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 13:58

Hi

Sorry you find yourself here. My mum is also 85 and has bowel cancer. The only treatment on offer was major surgery which, given her age and the risk of complications, she has declined. She is therefore living with the knowledge that her time is limited (although at 85 it probably was anyway...) and waiting for the disease to run its course. With hindsight, I would rather she didn't know about the cancer and therefore wasn't worrying about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ian.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 14:15

Thanks Ian and sorry to hear about your mum's illness.  It must be so hard for everyone waiting for the inevitable and that's what we want to avoid if dad's diagnosis isn't a good one. A support nurse phoned a while ago and said the consultant will speak to me before his scan and it may be possible for me to have the results, then with their help decide what/how to tell him. I'm not comfortable lying to him if it's bad but have to think first about his mental health. 

I hope your mum and your family can enjoy the time she has left.

Thanks ... Sioux

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 14:38

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

my dad at 83, had a breakdown leading to MH unit admission for 4 months. I think perhaps not knowing would have been better as he lost four reasonably healthy months sort of wasted  in there and passed 6 months later at 84. In his case there was treatment offered but he was sadly mentally unable to deal with the situation. 

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 15:11

thanks for your reply, we know from personal experience (several times) how hard it is to deal with MH unit admission and so sorry for your loss Turkey2222

sioux

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 19:54

Hi sioux. 

This is not really correct. Your dad probably wouldn't be suitable for radical treatment (surgery, radiotherapy) because of his age and mental health. My dad was diagnosed about the same age and was put on hormone therapy which kept the prostate cancer at bay until he passed away at 93 from other causes. Unfortunately if your dad is unable to tolerate a DRE and MRI scan then a diagnosis is not going to be possible.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 21:49

Hi Siouxw,

I sympathize with your very difficult situation, but as others have said, if your Dad is unable to co-operate with the assessment process, I would imagine that any diagnosis that is given would be tentative.  It is of course possible that he doesn't have Prostate Cancer at all.

As you may already know, even if he agrees to have the Scan, and if the scan shows something suspicious, the next step in the assessment process would usually be a biopsy.  For this, they insert a succession of needles (about 12, or more, I think?) into the perineum (the area between the anus and the scrotum).  As he has previously refused a Digital Rectal Examination, I doubt that he would cope with the biopsy (which takes about 45-60 minutes, as opposed to a few seconds for the D.R.E.)

If he does have cancer, I don't think they would be able to determine what stage of cancer he might have without undertaking these tests.  In which case, I imagine that it would be difficult for them to formulate a treatment plan.  Left untreated, it would seem that all they could do would be to offer pain relief as and when it was required.

I sincerely hope that it's all a false alarm and that he doesn't have prostate cancer at all.

Best wishes,

JedSee.

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 22:07

It is a somewhat difficult question, because it is an ethical question. Fifty years ago it was considered acceptable for people who new what is best, to make decisions on behalf of people who wouldn't have made the right decision themselves. If you look at forced adoptions, forced sterilisation, experimentation on servicemen you can see that it is not a good route to go down.

Of course we don't allow children or the insane to make important decisions, probably with some justification.

If your dad is not informed he cannot make decisions about HT which is a possible treatment, also if he knows his life is limited he may want to spend it on holiday, or chasing fast cars and fast women; good choices, but ones he can't make without all the information. 

You consider a cancer diagnosis may impact his life so badly that it outweighs his right to make informed choices. If you know the diagnosis and he doesn't you will have to continue making choices on his behalf without his consent.

The following is my personal opinion. If he can't know his diagnosis I wouldn't want to know it either, because there is no way I would want to be making decisions for him or preventing him making informed decisions. I would want him to stop the diagnosis process, now.  

Dave

User
Posted 27 Oct 2023 at 23:24
Just to say that you can of course make decisions on your dad's behalf if you have power of attorney for health and welfare, provided he no longer has capacity.
User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:33

this info is really helpful, we've not managed to sit down yet and go through what all the processes might be with urology but I have been contacted by them and we're having more discussion today.  As you say, hopefully it's nothing to worry about anyway.

thanks for your help

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:39

Yes, I agree in principal about the ethics of choosing for someone else and the doors it can open for someone to be making choices for the wrong reasons, however, in this case we've had to make choices for dad for a very long time and always with his and our mum's best interests and welfare first.  That's why I'm tying myself in knots about what is the best thing to do, not sure there is a right answer to this one.

thanks for your input.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 08:42

I have LPA for mum but not dad as he couldn't face answering the questions about his wishes (eg life sustaining treatment) on the forms!  He did, however, give permission to the doctors for them to deal with me and thankfully, probably because of his MH history, they are taking notice of that.  

thanks for your input

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 09:51
I really feel for you, my dad didn’t handle his diagnosis at all well ( bladder cancer) the knowledge took from him the opportunity of carrying on enjoying the next few healthy months of his life, he said if he had cancer he wouldn’t cope with the illness or treatment and sadly he was right, despite our reassurances. I look back and keep wondering what we could have done differently to have helped him manage the fears and avoided the MH admission.

If he has capacity I am not sure that his own health conditions can be hidden from him by the doctors?

It is really hard dealing with a loved ones mental fragility I hope that this is a false alarm.

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 11:41

This is a difficult one, and one I nearly faced with dad in his late 80's when they thought they might have made an incidental discovery of prostate cancer bone mets on a CT scan for something else. Fortunately, further investigation dismissed prostate cancer.

A question you might ask is, in the absence of prostate cancer, how long do you expect dad to live? You could then ask his consultant how long he might live with the prostate cancer untreated. If the second exceeds the first, you might choose to leave it untreated, except both are only guesses, and they could be significantly wrong.

Another option would be watchful waiting. Basically, wait until he has some symptoms, and then start treating. It might be that he could start on Bicalutamide tablets at that point (a mild hormone therapy drug). It typically works for 6-24 months, stopping and even slightly reversing the cancer growth. It doesn't cause as many side effects as the more powerful hormone therapy injections. In particular, it doesn't cause osteoporosis when used by itself without the hormone therapy injections (actually quite the opposite - it strengthens bones).

User
Posted 30 Oct 2023 at 11:57

Thanks for all the information, it's something I'm going to discuss with the consultant this week.  We don't think there are obvious symptoms but dad could be not discussing them due to fear of all things medical or embarrassment.