I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Appropriate backgound music in an erectile dysfunction waiting room?

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 06:19

I am not making light of the effects of ED  but let's show that we can still laugh about it. So following on from https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30016-Appropriate-and-inappropriate-music-whist-having-a-DRE-or-biopsy

Song titles, please, which you think would be suitable for background music in an ED waiting room.

I'll start the ball rolling:

Mr Soft.              Cockney rebel.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2023 at 02:30
In the past, we had many funny threads and they have been sadly absent since members like Spurspark left us - I think of him particularly because of his dark humour even while he was in his last days and how much he helped us all to prepare for and cope with his death at a very young age. Other star jokers included TopGun, Alathays and Trevor_Boothe, all of whom were in the advanced stages of PCa.

There is a lot of doom and gloom on a cancer forum - a bit of levity (or even a proper belly laugh) is good for the soul and anyone that feels uncomfortable with it will choose not to continue to read that thread

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:21
Perhaps there should be a variation on the Where's Wally pictures. Yes you've guessed it... Where's Willy!
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 22:50

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Topic of conversation for Steve and I at the moment…he’s due his prostatectomy in January and of course we have read all the side effects likely to follow, but for now, trying to keep a sense of humour (no doubt feel differently afterwards) 

I had the non nerve sparing op 10 months ago. Dead as dodo downstairs but Invicorp sometimes works. I find its a case of laugh or cry.  There seems to be a big variation in recovery. Best of luck to you and Steve.

'Pencil full of lead'         Paolo Nutini

(Found whilst googling. Quite a good song, video a bit weird 🙂)

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 22:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 20:27

Wake up Boo ( the Boo Radleys)

User
Posted 17 Dec 2023 at 09:10

'Bob the builder. Can you fix it?'

'I can fix you'              Coldplay.

PS:  There's a a rumour that Elon Musk and Bill Gates are collaborating to produce a new erectile dysfunction drug.

They're calling it ElonGates.  😉

Edited by member 17 Dec 2023 at 09:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2023 at 10:04

PS:  There's a a rumour that Elon Musk and Bill Gates are collaborating to produce a new erectile dysfunction drug.

ha ha! Good one!

User

Winner 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 14:39

'Up all night'            One direction. 

Come on lads and lassies. This is like playing solo. 😀

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 15:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 15:21
Perhaps there should be a variation on the Where's Wally pictures. Yes you've guessed it... Where's Willy!
User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 17:47

Bump.

'Up where we belong'                          Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 19:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 19:46
Topic of conversation for Steve and I at the moment…he’s due his prostatectomy in January and of course we have read all the side effects likely to follow, but for now, trying to keep a sense of humour (no doubt feel differently afterwards)

hard days night…..Beatles

Nookie…..limp bizkit (or not)

I can’t get no satisfaction….Rolling Stones

Where did our love go….Soft Cell

There’s also a very funny lesser known song and artist…. ‘My shirt collar (it won’t go stiff)’ …Ivor Biggun

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 21:54

Dro(o)p by Soft Machine

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 22:24

'Erected (I wanna be erected)'         Alice Cooper

User
Posted 15 Dec 2023 at 22:50

I had the non nerve sparing op 10 months ago. Dead as dodo downstairs but Invicorp sometimes works. I find its a case of laugh or cry.  There seems to be a big variation in recovery. Best of luck to you and Steve.

'Pencil full of lead'         Paolo Nutini

(Found whilst googling. Quite a good song, video a bit weird 🙂)

Edited by member 15 Dec 2023 at 22:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 18:27

'Pump up the ham'       Technotronic. 

'I'm still standing'          Elton John.

Edited by member 16 Dec 2023 at 20:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 20:27

Wake up Boo ( the Boo Radleys)

User
Posted 16 Dec 2023 at 21:17

'You raise me up'            Westlife 

'Morning glory'                Oasis

'Straight up'              Paula Abdul

'Stand and deliver'   Adam and the Ants

Edited by member 16 Dec 2023 at 21:45  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2023 at 09:10

Edited by member 17 Dec 2023 at 09:16  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2023 at 10:04

ha ha! Good one!

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 15:11

'I get knocked down, but I get up again'           Chumbawamba

'Rise'         Gabrielle

Edited by member 18 Dec 2023 at 15:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 15:28

Humour in the face of adversity could be a good thing. I find this thread quite funny but I am wondering whether we ought to be a little circumspect about how this site opens up to humorous comments. Some of us, in our 70s and 80s, may have a different perspective on life compared to some other people, some very young with growing families, may not of course be helped by joking about their predicament. This is just a thought that entered my head and would like to share with others. Some newly diagnosed and stressed men, coming to this site for serious help may find the levity inappropriate. Am I being too precious? 

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 18 Dec 2023 at 16:00

This is just a thought that entered my head and would like to share with others. Some newly diagnosed and stressed men, coming to this site for serious help may find the levity inappropriate. Am I being too precious? 

Hi Pratap,

Do you mean precious or precautious?

Before posting, I gave it a lot of thought. 

Many say laughter is the best medicine. In the couple of light hearted conversations I've posted, I've explained, in the first posts, that I do not intend to make light of procedures or the effects of them.

This forum, although full of support, help and guidance, can by the very nature of the subject matter, become very serious and dour. In my opinion, people should have the opportunity to show, although many have lost their prostates, they haven't lost their sense of humour. Humour often helps you cope in stressful or frightening situations. I would estimate 99% of our conversations are serious. I don't think a little joviality, so long as it isn't offensive, does any harm. Basically both conversations have been based on a play on words and puns of song titles. Nothing more, nothing less. 

To be offended by them, you'd have to be like my toothpaste, super sensitive.

However if you find them, somehow irreverent, you always have the option to push the report button. 🙂

Adrian

Edited by member 18 Dec 2023 at 22:46  | Reason: Spelling

User
Posted 19 Dec 2023 at 10:34

Hi Adrian

I did mean precious. I did't know precautious was a word - one learns something new everyday!

I am very sorry that I seem to have upset you and made you angry. I think you and others who responded so wittily are very funny and clever and I have no problem with that. I was simply putting myself in the position of much younger men who face such a catastrophe in their lives and who come to this forum with serious worries and looking for much needed information and comfort may find us apparently making light of their predicament  upsetting. It is just a feeling I had, nothing more.

I did't not see any point in pushing the report button, as you suggested, because I don't find this thread offensive.

Regards

Pratap

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 14:15

Adrianus, thanks, I just peed myself!!

User
Posted 22 Dec 2023 at 14:21

Sorry mate, I owe you owe you a pad. 😄

'So swell, when you're well'           Aretha Franklin

' (S)well, I never'                             Whitesnake

Edited by member 22 Dec 2023 at 14:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
In the past, we had many funny threads and they have been sadly absent since members like Spurspark left us - I think of him particularly because of his dark humour even while he was in his last days and how much he helped us all to prepare for and cope with his death at a very young age. Other star jokers included TopGun, Alathays and Trevor_Boothe, all of whom were in the advanced stages of PCa.

There is a lot of doom and gloom on a cancer forum - a bit of levity (or even a proper belly laugh) is good for the soul and anyone that feels uncomfortable with it will choose not to continue to read that thread

User

Winner