I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

VED pump

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 17:13

Finally got a soma erect pump after the first one which was prescribed was faulty. I am four years post RALP then salvage DXT with ED since surgery. 
Just had first erection with the pump and it’s painful after 4 years. 
Advice about how often to pump and for how long? Which rings as I have soft silicone ones and hard ones! 
Does KY jelly work as well as the one supplied by the company?

Is it weird having intercourse with the ring?

Thanks all

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 18:53

Hi, 

I know nowt about pumps but just wanted to praise your tenacity and congratulate your success. Well done mate. 👏 

Adrian

PS

I had RARP 10 months ago, and can vividly remember 6 months later, assisted by Invicorp, having my first post op hard on. I don't think I've ever been so happy. In fact, much to my wife's embarrassment, I was so joyous that I opened the bedroom window and gave a Tarzan call.

Edited by member 30 Dec 2023 at 20:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 19:01

Ok I was told to use the pump in the following way by the SH consultant.

5 minutes with suction, let the pump down, allow the penis to become flaccid, a pause for me which is around 3 to 4 minutes, then repeat the whole process again twice. This means some new blood is drawn into the penis each time you re-engage the pump.

I find that any cheap lubricant works fine. 

Intercorse with the pump is for the wife and I a waste of time. Let's say we have become some what more imaginative. The pump is purely for rehabilitation and I hate using it but a necessary evil.  I use it on the days when the tadalafil has stop giving me natural erections (36 to 48 hours). Before the tadalafil was prescribed I would use everyday, even on holiday.

All the rings I are soft silicone, but mine is a different model albeit a NHS approved one.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 20:47

Hi Cornish Man,

I use Asdas own brand of lubricant jelly with the Somacorrect and it’s equally as good as the expensive one supplied by iMedicare. I only use it for rehab. It’s very important that it’s used correctly. Have you not been given information in this? If not, go to the iMedicare web site and they have all the information you need and some videos. Alternatively phone them and the6 will talk you through it. Some trusts run ED clinics where you are shown how to use it so it might be worth asking about that. Fife certainly does.

For rehab you should use it as often as possible. Start slowly though, a few pumps, then wait, a few more and so on. Make sure you have the correct size of cylinder as well and make sure your scrotum is not getting sucked into the device….that maybe is what’s giving you the pain?. I had Pain initially at the base of my penis because too much skin was being sucked in making it a VERY tight fit and causing pain. Also use plenty of lube in the tube and the base of the penis.

Onwards and Upwards!

Derek

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 20:57
Cornishman, the first time I used a pump it was pretty painful - and that was only after a few months. I then worked up slowly, using the inner tube for a week or so, and soon got things working OK.

The rings provided by SomaErect are pretty fearsome, there have been recommendations here for the "love rings" made by Durex (available from Boots) as alternatives.

When I used up the initial tube I tried K-Y jelly and found it much more liquid and messy! I decided it was easier to go back to the manufacturer's version.

User
Posted 30 Dec 2023 at 22:01

I know what you mean. My initial experience with the pump and the rings was the same as yours. There is discomfort when transferring the ring on to the penis  and afterwards, but the freedom and variety of sexual experience it can provide is really worth it!  If you persevere, be patient, take it gently and slowly you will be amazed at the result. I have been using penis pumps for 12 years since my prostatectomy because that was the only way we could re-establish our sex life. Once you gain a little experience it opens up a whole new way of making love. Men and their wives/partners worry about how to incorporate this artificial method of creating an erection in their bed rooms.  But with good communication, openness, imagination and a sense of humour in the mix completely changes the dynamic of satisfying each other sexually. If you wish you can private message me and I can give you more practical help. I notice you are a few years younger than me when I had the surgery. Pre-surgery my erections were waining and post-surgery we just gave up on that. But now I can create an erection as good as when I was a young man with the gurarntee of 30 minutes (time allowed for the ring/s on your penis) of fun! You and your wife/partner may find the following link useful:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 31 Dec 2023 at 00:39

The first 2-3 weeks are a training period. You are stretching parts which haven't been stretched for some time, and it's uncomfortable or even painful. You should do it for about 10 mins per day, just pumping up slowly, one hand pump at a time, and wait for the penis to draw in more blood and expand. When you get to the limit of what's comfortable, hold for about 5-10 seconds, and then let it fully down again. Repeat this for about 10 mins. You don't use any rings during the training period. If you ever get a bleed, release the vacuum immediately, pinch the location of the penis which is bleeding to stop it, and skip using the pump for a couple of weeks. It can happen if you try to pump up too fast without allowing the blood to catch up. They won't usually supply pumps to anyone on blood thinners beyond low dose asprin.

By 2-3 weeks, you will probably have found it's not painful any more. For penile rehab, you basically keep doing the same, but you can probably hold it pumped up for longer each time. Again, no rings are used. I was told to do it for 10 mins per day or 15 mins every other day.

If you want to use the pump for sex, then you have to learn how to use the rings. Don't put a ring on until you know how to get it off! As a test run one day, pump up and maintain the vacuum for 10-15 mins to make sure your OK with doing this. We were only taught how to use the Surefit silicone rings. When new, stretch it several times first like when you blow up a balloon. Stretch it over the end of the pump cylinder - don't use the loading cone (that's for the plastic rings - it will cause the silicone rings to fail faster). Then generate an erection. When you have an erection, slide the ring off the cylinder onto the base of the penis, being very careful not to catch a testicle in the ring. You should be able to release the vacuum, take the pump away, and maintain the erection. You can still use the pump while you have the ring on to top it up if necessary. If it goes down too fast to be useful, you should use a smaller ring or two rings by repeating the procedure and adding another ring. The pump only comes with a Medium (Y size) ring, but a pack of 3 containing small, medium, and large (X, Y, Z) is available on prescription in theory, and once you know which size ring, you can intercept the prescription and ask for the pharmacy to order 3 all the same size by adding a note to the order (there's no part number for 3 all the same size).

To take a ring off, grab the tabs and pull the ring open enough to get 2 or 4 fingers in too, and then stretch it to allow the blood to drain out of the penis. When erection has gone, keep it stretched and take it off. Don't try to take a ring off an erect penis - you'll likely do your penis some damage. Panicing and trying to rip it off an erect penis can be a disaster. Don't keep a ring on for more than 30 mins, and never allow yourself to fall asleep with one on - this will permanently damage the penis.

Men who attend a pump clinic and have the pump demoed on them are twice as likely to use it successfully afterwards. If you haven't had such a session, ask if your local hospital runs them. They're an off-shoot of the ED clinic, but shouldn't have much of a waiting list as they're usually run by the pump company reps rather than by clinicians.