I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello, my first post

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:13

I'm 62 years old. Otherwise, apart from my prostate cancer diagnosis, I'm a very fit and healthy person, working full time I'm waiting my Robotic Assisted full Prostectamy next month. My Gleason score came in at 4+3 =7 My initial voluntary PSA test came back at 15.7. I'd had no symptoms at all, just decided at age of 62 it was about time I got tested. Was so shocked at this very high PSA result. I had a MRI scan, prostate biopsies and a bone CT scan. Bone scan was all good. My surgeon said he's very sure that the cancer is still within my prostate and hasn't spread. To say I've had many sleepless nights now since my diagnosis in late December, is an understatement. I'm just hoping and praying now they get it all done ok. I'll have to endure the incontinence and impotence stuff as it comes following my surgery. Any tips, or guidance from you guys would be much appreciated. Thank you Neil.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:13

I'm 62 years old. Otherwise, apart from my prostate cancer diagnosis, I'm a very fit and healthy person, working full time I'm waiting my Robotic Assisted full Prostectamy next month. My Gleason score came in at 4+3 =7 My initial voluntary PSA test came back at 15.7. I'd had no symptoms at all, just decided at age of 62 it was about time I got tested. Was so shocked at this very high PSA result. I had a MRI scan, prostate biopsies and a bone CT scan. Bone scan was all good. My surgeon said he's very sure that the cancer is still within my prostate and hasn't spread. To say I've had many sleepless nights now since my diagnosis in late December, is an understatement. I'm just hoping and praying now they get it all done ok. I'll have to endure the incontinence and impotence stuff as it comes following my surgery. Any tips, or guidance from you guys would be much appreciated. Thank you Neil.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:41

Hi Neil, 

Let me extend a warm welcome to the club that no-one wants to join.

You ask the questions mate and the chances are someone here  will be able to answer them.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey

Adrian.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2024 at 18:43  | Reason: Punctuation

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 19:38

Hello Neil, 

all my support to you in this challenging situation. One thing you may consider with your Doctor: evaluate of doing a PET PSMA before the surgery to help the surgeon with the stadiation.

PET is considered by Doctors to be highly accurate. 

Wish you the best!

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 20:51

Hi NeilOgil,

Sorry that you find yourself here...

I assume from your post that you have already decided on surgery, or was that the recommendation of the Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT)?

You say that you are quite fit, so this will help in your recovery from whatever treatment you decide.  If you do go for surgery, I would recommend that you start doing Kegel exercises right now to strengthen your bladder control muscles.  You can download an App to your phone to make it easier.  It is recommended that you do them at least 3 times per day.  Any other type of exercise which strengthens your lower abdominal muscles will also stand you in good stead post-surgery.  

Best of luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 22:13

Welcome to the club no one wants to join.

Here my two bits of advice:-

Pelvic floor exercises. Start strengthening those muscles. I was told 6 times per day. You can download apps to guide you. No guarantees but it's worth a shot.

Keep fit. Before my op I was the fittest I had been for a long time. Positive this helped my recovery post op. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 18:41

Hi Neil, 

Let me extend a warm welcome to the club that no-one wants to join.

You ask the questions mate and the chances are someone here  will be able to answer them.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey

Adrian.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2024 at 18:43  | Reason: Punctuation

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 19:38

Hello Neil, 

all my support to you in this challenging situation. One thing you may consider with your Doctor: evaluate of doing a PET PSMA before the surgery to help the surgeon with the stadiation.

PET is considered by Doctors to be highly accurate. 

Wish you the best!

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 20:51

Hi NeilOgil,

Sorry that you find yourself here...

I assume from your post that you have already decided on surgery, or was that the recommendation of the Multi-Disciplinary Team (MDT)?

You say that you are quite fit, so this will help in your recovery from whatever treatment you decide.  If you do go for surgery, I would recommend that you start doing Kegel exercises right now to strengthen your bladder control muscles.  You can download an App to your phone to make it easier.  It is recommended that you do them at least 3 times per day.  Any other type of exercise which strengthens your lower abdominal muscles will also stand you in good stead post-surgery.  

Best of luck.

JedSee.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 21:26

Hi NeilOgli

My experience of prostatectomy: My Gleason score was 7 (3+4, 4+3), cancer was confined to the gland with good margin, and I was 72 when I had prostatectomy 12 years ago. My surgery was difficult because of a previous procedure at the bladder neck. Recovery was tough because the catheter had to remain in place for over 5 weeks (because of the problem at the bladder neck). I regained 99.9% continence after about two months following the removal of the catheter. My nerves were 'saved' and regained some erectile function but not enough and in any case my erections were getting very weak because of my age. However we were able to re-establish our sex life and  are enjoying our old age!

Needless to say we re all different - you will hear that a lot. 12 years since my surgery there are many more experienced surgeons out there and also RA/HT therapies have made an amazing progress in the past decade. You have many options available and I think you can be optimistic about your outcome. Do investigate all options.If you decide on surgery all you need is a good surgeon and some luck. So good luck. I have a number of posts oaths site about my experience; you may find the following link useful:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

As you can imagine I have some experience and if you want more details or help please get in touch with me - private message me if you like.

Edited by member 21 Jan 2024 at 21:29  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 21 Jan 2024 at 22:13

Welcome to the club no one wants to join.

Here my two bits of advice:-

Pelvic floor exercises. Start strengthening those muscles. I was told 6 times per day. You can download apps to guide you. No guarantees but it's worth a shot.

Keep fit. Before my op I was the fittest I had been for a long time. Positive this helped my recovery post op. 

User
Posted 24 Jan 2024 at 15:07

After diagnisis I used to wake up in the night feeling alright, then get a jolt as I thought something was wrong.  Then realising I'd got prostate cancer and then trying to rationalise it and it could go either way - thinking or going back to sleep.   

Getting the date for the op was a turning point as from that time I was looking forward to getting it done.  Nip into the hospital, go to sleep and wake up fixed.  Then a period of healing.

There is some learning about catheters and pads and things.  I was retired anyway, and we'd go for a walk and the first time the pad filled up fast due to the walking.  So I was wet but my wife had a plastic bag to put on the car seat.   After that we had spare pads.

Keep pushing yourself to do things but don't overdo it.

People are suggesting you look at other alternatives such as radiotherapy.  In some cases that has some benefits but quite often it's personal choice.  All the best, Peter