I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Royal Marsden

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 07:51

I live within an hour of the Royal Marsden.  It seems like my cancer has returned and my GP is referring me back to oncology. I asked him to refer me to the Royal Marsden.  He said he didn't know if he could.  He said I was young, my cancer is high risk and has behaved atypically, so I might be in with a chance.  He said it was a tertiary centre so I could only be referred by another hospital.

He is referring me back to my own hospital which isn't involved in trials and which doesn't do SABR.

Does anyone know how to get referred to the RM?

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 07:51

I live within an hour of the Royal Marsden.  It seems like my cancer has returned and my GP is referring me back to oncology. I asked him to refer me to the Royal Marsden.  He said he didn't know if he could.  He said I was young, my cancer is high risk and has behaved atypically, so I might be in with a chance.  He said it was a tertiary centre so I could only be referred by another hospital.

He is referring me back to my own hospital which isn't involved in trials and which doesn't do SABR.

Does anyone know how to get referred to the RM?

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 12:14

I don't know how the NHS bureaucracy works. I do know my GP referred me to my local hospital 'Tameside General' they did the scans and tests. I was treated at The Christie. So it seems that I was referred from one hospital to the other. I guess the fact my GP suspected cancer but didn't refer me to a cancer hospital does imply that he couldn't refer me directly.

Though I am discharged from The Christie, if I do get a rising PSA I shall contact my former CNS at Christie first, to try and leap frog the bureaucrats. That will be more difficult for you as you don't have a contact at the RM.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 12:36

hi 

According to their website ' The Royal Marsden accepts NHS referrals from both GPs and other Hospitals within the London and South East for diagnosis and treatment of common and rare cancers'. 

I think your GP could be wrong, you could give RM urology a call to confirm. I had my initial investigations and diagnosis there and they were very fast and efficient.

All the best

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 21:33

My GP contacted the RM and asked if he could refer me.  They said yes.

Thankfully, though, the referral may not be needed after all. 

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 12:14

I don't know how the NHS bureaucracy works. I do know my GP referred me to my local hospital 'Tameside General' they did the scans and tests. I was treated at The Christie. So it seems that I was referred from one hospital to the other. I guess the fact my GP suspected cancer but didn't refer me to a cancer hospital does imply that he couldn't refer me directly.

Though I am discharged from The Christie, if I do get a rising PSA I shall contact my former CNS at Christie first, to try and leap frog the bureaucrats. That will be more difficult for you as you don't have a contact at the RM.

Dave

User
Posted 27 Jan 2024 at 12:36

hi 

According to their website ' The Royal Marsden accepts NHS referrals from both GPs and other Hospitals within the London and South East for diagnosis and treatment of common and rare cancers'. 

I think your GP could be wrong, you could give RM urology a call to confirm. I had my initial investigations and diagnosis there and they were very fast and efficient.

All the best

User
Posted 28 Jan 2024 at 07:12
It is also easy to get a private appointment at the RM. Just Google it and the details are easy to find.

Even if you don't get treated there I found it reassuring to find out what they recommended and then you can make sure your local team are following best practice.
User
Posted 28 Jan 2024 at 07:45

UM , my doctor did a referral to the RM and Christies when I had my radiation cystitis. That was before COVID, they both came back and offered appointments quite quickly.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2024 at 21:33

My GP contacted the RM and asked if he could refer me.  They said yes.

Thankfully, though, the referral may not be needed after all.