I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any tips

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 12:31

Hi All, i am 55 years old and had no real major symptoms except getting up once in the night for a pee. I have been on a very quick journey, starting in November 2023 with knowing I had a PSA of 17.6, to a an MRI scan, biopsy and diagnosis on 19 January  2024 of prostate cancer. It looks to be contained in the prostate with a slight breakout on one edge of the prostate. I have gone for surgery and have it booked for 16 February. Wish me luck and ang tips. Thanks everybody. 👍 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 12:31

Hi All, i am 55 years old and had no real major symptoms except getting up once in the night for a pee. I have been on a very quick journey, starting in November 2023 with knowing I had a PSA of 17.6, to a an MRI scan, biopsy and diagnosis on 19 January  2024 of prostate cancer. It looks to be contained in the prostate with a slight breakout on one edge of the prostate. I have gone for surgery and have it booked for 16 February. Wish me luck and ang tips. Thanks everybody. 👍 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 14:07

Hi Dave  

Welcome to the forum. It's a pity you've had to find us but I'm glad you have mate.

Do you know your Gleason score and cancer staging?

I had my op almost a year ago this link will give you some indication of my story so far.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

There have been several threads regarding tips for the op. I'll try to pass a link to one of them.

Best of luck mate.

Adrian

Edited by member 03 Feb 2024 at 16:45  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 14:20

Welcome to the PCa Supporters Club Dave,  nice to meet you. I’m sure you’d prefer if it was a golf club, rugby club , football club or whatever, but one things for sure…you will get ALL the support you need from its wonderful members😊

Surgery wasn’t an option for me(unfortunately😟) but I would advise you to keep as fit and active before the surgery, and if you’ve not already done so, start doing these Pelvic Floor Exercise NOW!

All the best on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 16:19

Firstly good luck. Best bits of advice I was given was everyone is different so don’t compare, be patient and listen to your body. The 1st couple of weeks post op were difficult for me and I felt like I was jet lagged but things improved. Oh and keep squeezing once the catheter is out. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 21:07

Dave

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be in. You’ll find plenty of advice and support on this forum.

I had my RARP just over a year ago. Having been there the advice I would give you is:

Get some baggy jogging bottoms for fitting around in after the operation. You won’t be doing a great deal do you might as well be comfortable;

Be prepared for some discomfort from the catheter. It’s not painful (for me) but is a nuisance. It may be helpful to get an antiseptic cream as the tip of the penis can become sore;

Download the Squeezy app. Once the catheter is out the exercises are useful for regaining continence.

Finally, make sure you have a contact number for the nurses - they are there to provide support and I found that nothing was a problem with them.

You will experience erectile dysfunction. The Urology Department prescribed Sildenafil to get the blood flowing where it’s needed. Be patient as it will take time to recover acknowledging some men don’t get erections again. I’ve found this the most difficult part to deal with (I was going to say ‘hard’ but that’s still wishful thinking). 

I wish you well with your operation and subsequent recovery.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 21:59

Adrian, did you need the magnifying glass pre-op or only post-op?😂😂😂

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 14:07

Hi Dave  

Welcome to the forum. It's a pity you've had to find us but I'm glad you have mate.

Do you know your Gleason score and cancer staging?

I had my op almost a year ago this link will give you some indication of my story so far.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

There have been several threads regarding tips for the op. I'll try to pass a link to one of them.

Best of luck mate.

Adrian

Edited by member 03 Feb 2024 at 16:45  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 14:18

Dave , sorry you find yourself here and I hope all goes well.

Have a look at this link , lots of tips and advice on surgery and recovery.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30061-Surgery-date-at-last#post290302

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 14:20

Welcome to the PCa Supporters Club Dave,  nice to meet you. I’m sure you’d prefer if it was a golf club, rugby club , football club or whatever, but one things for sure…you will get ALL the support you need from its wonderful members😊

Surgery wasn’t an option for me(unfortunately😟) but I would advise you to keep as fit and active before the surgery, and if you’ve not already done so, start doing these Pelvic Floor Exercise NOW!

All the best on your journey,

Derek

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 16:19

Firstly good luck. Best bits of advice I was given was everyone is different so don’t compare, be patient and listen to your body. The 1st couple of weeks post op were difficult for me and I felt like I was jet lagged but things improved. Oh and keep squeezing once the catheter is out. 

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 21:07

Dave

Welcome to the club none of us wanted to be in. You’ll find plenty of advice and support on this forum.

I had my RARP just over a year ago. Having been there the advice I would give you is:

Get some baggy jogging bottoms for fitting around in after the operation. You won’t be doing a great deal do you might as well be comfortable;

Be prepared for some discomfort from the catheter. It’s not painful (for me) but is a nuisance. It may be helpful to get an antiseptic cream as the tip of the penis can become sore;

Download the Squeezy app. Once the catheter is out the exercises are useful for regaining continence.

Finally, make sure you have a contact number for the nurses - they are there to provide support and I found that nothing was a problem with them.

You will experience erectile dysfunction. The Urology Department prescribed Sildenafil to get the blood flowing where it’s needed. Be patient as it will take time to recover acknowledging some men don’t get erections again. I’ve found this the most difficult part to deal with (I was going to say ‘hard’ but that’s still wishful thinking). 

I wish you well with your operation and subsequent recovery.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 21:19

For your stay in hospital:

Ear plugs might be a good idea.

A packet of your favourite biscuits

A box of tissues.

Wet wipes to freshen up down below.

A ruler to measure your penis pre and post op.

A magnifying glass, in case it was as small as mine.

Edited by member 03 Feb 2024 at 23:51  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 03 Feb 2024 at 21:59

Adrian, did you need the magnifying glass pre-op or only post-op?😂😂😂