I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Robot assisted prostatectomy advice please

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 07:26

I have PCA and I'm having my op next week, until now I've done a good job of putting the whole thing, the fact I have cancer and need an operation, to the back of my mind, and the staff at my hospital have all been great. But as the day gets a bit nearer, I must admit I'm bricking it! I would appreciate knowing what your experience was on the day of the op, and the following couple of weeks, from anyone that's already had a robotic assisted prostatectomy Thank you.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 07:26

I have PCA and I'm having my op next week, until now I've done a good job of putting the whole thing, the fact I have cancer and need an operation, to the back of my mind, and the staff at my hospital have all been great. But as the day gets a bit nearer, I must admit I'm bricking it! I would appreciate knowing what your experience was on the day of the op, and the following couple of weeks, from anyone that's already had a robotic assisted prostatectomy Thank you.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:39

Hi Mathew,

It's exactly a year ago I had a robotic prostatectomy.

I was lucky and found the whole process a doddle. I was in at 9am and out by 3:00pm the following day.

Having said that some lads have complications, but I think they are very much in the minority.

If I were you I'd take in some wet wipes to keep clean down blow clean. Ear plugs and a packet of your favorite biscuits.

When you wake up you'll probably find that your belly feels a bit inflated because they pump your abdomen with gas to make the op easier. Because they have to cut a bit of the urethra out, then stitch it back together, it may shorten the length of your penis.

They fit a catheter which you'll have for a couple of weeks. It feels a bit strange but is not a problem.

Once its removed, you'll probably have incontinence problems and erectile dysfunction for a while.  Recovery varies enormously from person to person.

I'll try and attach a link to how I got on.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

Best of luck mate.

Edited by member 14 Feb 2024 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:53

Hi Matthew 

I had my RALP just over a week ago.

Obviously everyone's experience will be different but I would say my personal experience has been generally better than I expected. 

I was home the day after surgery. Pain was not bad at all - only used paracetamol for a day or two then nothing. Worst thing for me was having the catheter in but that's also manageable and for me it was out after 7 days (usually it's more like 10 days I believe). I'm a bit 'leaky' so far but hopefully that will improve. Overall I feel pretty good and feeling better each day.

Getting prepped for the op on the day itself plus having the anaesthetic is Obviously a bit stressful and uncomfortable but then you are unconscious and after what feels like a second you are in the recovery room.

It's natural to worry but loads of these ops are happening every day and sure you are in good hands. Hope it goes well 

Cheers

Rich

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 12:40
There is a shopping list of things you will need after the op - I can't find the link (someone else will know how to find it) but useful to have the following:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- waterproof sheet (Dunelm do a cotton backed one) or puppy training pads from your local pet shop

- a stock of men's incontinence pads (hospital may send you home with a few but not usually enough)

- underpants one size larger than you usually wear (not boxer shorts - you need something that will support your testicles & hold the catheter in place)

- soft tracksuit bottoms / joggers in a dark colour, preferably with an elasticated waist rather than drawstring

- ask the hospital whether you will be given any local anaesthetic gel (instagel or similar) to take home with you for the eye of your penis. If not, try to buy some before you go in

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 13:28

Just to add that Prostate Cancer UK offer a free surgery support pack that contains pads and advice brochures etc. You can find it on this website ...

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 16:42

M, on the day of the op my wife took me to the hospital at about 7.00am . We had a quick chat with the surgeon and then my wife went home. There was a delay due to a problem with the theatre air scrubbers. I was still having doubts as they were fitting the spinal block on the anesthetic table,I even asked if it was too late to change my mind. Nearly ten years on an eventful journey but I would do it all again. I woke up in the recovery room and had the best two slices of toast I have ever had. 

All pretty straightforward,I stopped an extra night in hospital. The following is a link to pre and post op tips and there is another link in one of my posts. Don't forget a packet of your favourite biscuits for after the op 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29907-RP-surgery-tomorrow#post287726

Hope all goes well. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 16:49
I know this sounds extremely flippant but I will almost guarantee that it is 100 times better than you are thinking. Bear in mind that this has become a very regular (unfortunately) procedure every single day in the hospital - there were 5 scheduled the same day as me and it's the same every day.

There is some discomfort of course, mainly the shoulder pain after 48 hours caused by the CO2 gas that they inflate your abdomen with - but regular paracetemol will make that bearable.

When you come around from the op, there is no pain. You'll sleep through the first night and they will have you up and around the next day. You just lie there and examine your penis with the catheter coming out of it thinking how the hell did they get that up there LOL

Likely to be discharged later that day or the next and you learn how to walk around without catching the catheter tube - that can hurt so you learn quick.

Then it's just a case of getting used to the tube/bag and keeping it all clean and sterile. Night bags are added to handle the extra flow so that's your life until the catheter is removed after 7 days or so - that doesn't hurt either.

Almost every RARP goes according to plan - there can be complications and those people come on forums like this for advise so it makes it look like there are more than there really are. But don't worry, even they get fixed!

Just look forward to getting that cancer ridden lump out of your body - it's a pretty good feeling afterwards.

Good luck and we are all here to answer questions or concerns.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 10:57

Hi, Sorry I can't help you with your query as I'm recently diagnosed with PCa, I'm seeing the surgeon next week.

I'm sure someone will post a more useful reply soon; but I wish you the best of luck with your operation. I'll look out for updates on your experiences. 

Cheers,

Nick

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 17:48

A Huge thank you to everyone for your advice and good wishes, I really do appreciate it - and i'll be so relieved when it's all over!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 10:57

Hi, Sorry I can't help you with your query as I'm recently diagnosed with PCa, I'm seeing the surgeon next week.

I'm sure someone will post a more useful reply soon; but I wish you the best of luck with your operation. I'll look out for updates on your experiences. 

Cheers,

Nick

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:39

Hi Mathew,

It's exactly a year ago I had a robotic prostatectomy.

I was lucky and found the whole process a doddle. I was in at 9am and out by 3:00pm the following day.

Having said that some lads have complications, but I think they are very much in the minority.

If I were you I'd take in some wet wipes to keep clean down blow clean. Ear plugs and a packet of your favorite biscuits.

When you wake up you'll probably find that your belly feels a bit inflated because they pump your abdomen with gas to make the op easier. Because they have to cut a bit of the urethra out, then stitch it back together, it may shorten the length of your penis.

They fit a catheter which you'll have for a couple of weeks. It feels a bit strange but is not a problem.

Once its removed, you'll probably have incontinence problems and erectile dysfunction for a while.  Recovery varies enormously from person to person.

I'll try and attach a link to how I got on.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t30214-Almost-a-year-on-after-RARP

Best of luck mate.

Edited by member 14 Feb 2024 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 11:53

Hi Matthew 

I had my RALP just over a week ago.

Obviously everyone's experience will be different but I would say my personal experience has been generally better than I expected. 

I was home the day after surgery. Pain was not bad at all - only used paracetamol for a day or two then nothing. Worst thing for me was having the catheter in but that's also manageable and for me it was out after 7 days (usually it's more like 10 days I believe). I'm a bit 'leaky' so far but hopefully that will improve. Overall I feel pretty good and feeling better each day.

Getting prepped for the op on the day itself plus having the anaesthetic is Obviously a bit stressful and uncomfortable but then you are unconscious and after what feels like a second you are in the recovery room.

It's natural to worry but loads of these ops are happening every day and sure you are in good hands. Hope it goes well 

Cheers

Rich

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 12:40
There is a shopping list of things you will need after the op - I can't find the link (someone else will know how to find it) but useful to have the following:

- a bucket to stand the night bag in

- waterproof sheet (Dunelm do a cotton backed one) or puppy training pads from your local pet shop

- a stock of men's incontinence pads (hospital may send you home with a few but not usually enough)

- underpants one size larger than you usually wear (not boxer shorts - you need something that will support your testicles & hold the catheter in place)

- soft tracksuit bottoms / joggers in a dark colour, preferably with an elasticated waist rather than drawstring

- ask the hospital whether you will be given any local anaesthetic gel (instagel or similar) to take home with you for the eye of your penis. If not, try to buy some before you go in

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 13:28

Just to add that Prostate Cancer UK offer a free surgery support pack that contains pads and advice brochures etc. You can find it on this website ...

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 16:42

M, on the day of the op my wife took me to the hospital at about 7.00am . We had a quick chat with the surgeon and then my wife went home. There was a delay due to a problem with the theatre air scrubbers. I was still having doubts as they were fitting the spinal block on the anesthetic table,I even asked if it was too late to change my mind. Nearly ten years on an eventful journey but I would do it all again. I woke up in the recovery room and had the best two slices of toast I have ever had. 

All pretty straightforward,I stopped an extra night in hospital. The following is a link to pre and post op tips and there is another link in one of my posts. Don't forget a packet of your favourite biscuits for after the op 

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29907-RP-surgery-tomorrow#post287726

Hope all goes well. 

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 16:49
I know this sounds extremely flippant but I will almost guarantee that it is 100 times better than you are thinking. Bear in mind that this has become a very regular (unfortunately) procedure every single day in the hospital - there were 5 scheduled the same day as me and it's the same every day.

There is some discomfort of course, mainly the shoulder pain after 48 hours caused by the CO2 gas that they inflate your abdomen with - but regular paracetemol will make that bearable.

When you come around from the op, there is no pain. You'll sleep through the first night and they will have you up and around the next day. You just lie there and examine your penis with the catheter coming out of it thinking how the hell did they get that up there LOL

Likely to be discharged later that day or the next and you learn how to walk around without catching the catheter tube - that can hurt so you learn quick.

Then it's just a case of getting used to the tube/bag and keeping it all clean and sterile. Night bags are added to handle the extra flow so that's your life until the catheter is removed after 7 days or so - that doesn't hurt either.

Almost every RARP goes according to plan - there can be complications and those people come on forums like this for advise so it makes it look like there are more than there really are. But don't worry, even they get fixed!

Just look forward to getting that cancer ridden lump out of your body - it's a pretty good feeling afterwards.

Good luck and we are all here to answer questions or concerns.

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 17:48

A Huge thank you to everyone for your advice and good wishes, I really do appreciate it - and i'll be so relieved when it's all over!

User
Posted 14 Feb 2024 at 19:17

What has been your highest PSA Matt also what is your Gleason score ?

My husband chose RP in 2018  his Gleason score was 4+4  PSA 8.63 he was discharged the next day and his recovery went well