Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

RP surgery tomorrow

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 11:43

Hi

I'm 67, and was diagnosed this Summer. After covid caused a 7 week delay, my RP operation has finally come around for tomorrow. Obviously I'm feeling a bit nervous, but at the same time wanting to get it done. 

Apparently  my mid urethral length is sub optimal at 14mm, which increases my chance of a degree of long term UI to 25 -50%

I have been doing a lot of PF exercises, and I'm quite active and fit for my age.

Any advice or tips would be most welcome (though please no horror stories, as my anxiety is high enough :)

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:48

I had my RP last week. What worked for me was having a good book and headphones for listening to podcasts, Spotify, BBC Sounds, etc. Also the Guardian crossword and a pen! In the event I was in for two nights so distractions are useful. Good luck, it really wasn't too bad and I'm now on the mend. 

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 12:54

Sounds like you’re well prepared JoHn so I’m sure you will be fine. All the guys in my Maggies group who have had RP have done really well, in fact I’m envious that they had the choice.

Just be patient with your recovery and don’t worry if at times you’re feeling you’re  going backwards.

All the best and let us know how it goes.

Derek

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 13:01

I am glad that everything went well for you last week. Yes it is a good idea to take plenty of things with you as the days are very long.

Please keep us updated/posted & try to take it easy which is something that can be hard.

I have recently come out of hospital myself following a bladder opp which is nothing to do with my Terminal Prostate Cancer Diagnosis.

Keep strong and keep smiling 😄😄

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 13:24

I wore snug but not tight elasticated short type underwear, it stopped the catheter from moving around to much, I also had a pad in my underwear to pick up any bypassing of urine.

Just in case the catheter makes the eye of the penis sore, instilagel or hydrocaine are available from a pharmacist without prescription at most chemists except Boots, who require a prescription. The above gels are designed for catheter insertion and maintenance they contain , anesthetic, antiseptic and lubrication. The hospital may give you some, it is a couple of pounds a syringe, you may not need it. Slight leaking of urine and blood from the penis can happen even with a catheter in, particularly when passing a motion.

Get a packet of your favourite biscuits for a midnight snack in hospital.

A bucket is often suggested, but medical advice is that the catheter should be supported not just left in the bottom of the bucket. I have never had a night bag leak, but did once disconnect the night bag before turning the leg bag tap off. Get an extra thigh strap from the hospital, attach the night bag tube to the leg bag outlet then attach the night bag tube to your ankle with the strap, it helps reduce the risk of pulling on the joints. PJ bottoms also help save any tangles. 

Hospital should provide ear plugs and eye mask.A ward can be very noisy at night. The guy opposite me had the noisiest carry bag in the world.

Try to avoid constipation

The following has lots of ideas.

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t29021-Practical-preparation-for-surgery#post278042

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 15:00

I had RP surgery back in July, when I got home I found it very helpful to have a number to call the nurses on for any concerns I had on constipation (Prunes helped) and blood in the urine.

Everyone told me to rest when I got home so I spent a lot of time watching TV and the Internet, I felt tired after the operation so I couldn't concentrate a lot.

I don't have a walk in shower so it was helpful to have a small foldable step to get in and out of the bath and a slip mat when having a shower. 

I was told to keep the area clean around the catheter and the penis head to avoid infection.

Setting small goals that were achievable helped me to get back on track with normality.

I hope it goes well tomorrow.

Stephen

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:07

Thank you Aox 

Glad your experience  wasn't too bad.

Gives me more confidence. 

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:08

Thank you Derek.

Kind words.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:10

Thank you so much for your encouraging words.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:13

Thank you very much Chris

Some really helpful tips there.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:16

Thank you for your advice and encouragement Stephen.

I appreciate your support.

User
Posted 07 Nov 2023 at 18:27

Hi John,

I had RARP on 15th Feb this year and was in the pub 6 days later.

I do love a beer.

Best of luck mate.

Adrian.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2023 at 12:25

Hi Adrian

Now you're talking!

Had my RP yesterday,  and it went well.

I am looking forward to a pint as soon as the catheter os out!!

John