I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help for carer

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 11:58

My dad is 83 and has cancer which has mastetised to his spine.  He was diagnosed four years ago. He is in pain but in the past two weeks he seems to be taking a downturn.  He is too weak to walk far, falls with weakness, wont really eat or drink much and has all the last signs of late stage.  He sleeps most of the time and is beginnning to get confused. He also coughs up large amounts of dark phlem which may indicate its in his lungs.  He is being cared for at home by our mum and is expecting a visit from Loros soon to assess him.  My brother visits often as lives near, but I am four hours away.  We are wondering if anyone has information as to how long he may be with us and whether I should now be thinking of being with them full time.  Its so hard to know what to do.  Has he got weeks or months left and is this a sign he is on his way out?  Sad to post this but just after any experiences poeple may have to give advice.  Many thanks and love to you all.  Emma

User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 12:35
User
Posted 19 Feb 2024 at 15:12

Thank you for that x

Edited by member 19 Feb 2024 at 15:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Feb 2024 at 21:58

Hi Emma,

I could have written this myself. We are in a very similar situation. 

Prostate cancer for over 10 years. Told it was terminal just over a year ago. In October mobility became really bad due to tumours pushing on spine. Cord compression followed and now he is bed bound with very little feeling in legs and no strength. Situation has deteriorated in the past few weeks and he has lost so much weight. There’s nothing on him. He’s struggling to eat, his voice has changed and he’s so tired all the time.

We don’t know how long he has left but I’m guessing at weeks. He’s only late 70s.  

Hope you’re doing ok. X