I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Two years on

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 23:02

I had RP two years ago today. First time overnight in hospital, first time under the surgeon's knife and only second time (after the biopsy) under general anaesthetic. I've been reflecting on the rollercoaster since then. PSA never quite undetectable and that sense of three-monthly dread before RT in May 2023. Then a six-month wait to be told PSA was undetectable in December. Now starting to turn my mind towards the next blood test in June and hoping that I stay where I am. And all through this time, I have relied on the sage advice and camaraderie of the generous folk on this site. Which has really played a role in helping me come to terms with and tackle the uncertainty and horror of this awful disease.

User
Posted 14 Mar 2024 at 23:02

I had RP two years ago today. First time overnight in hospital, first time under the surgeon's knife and only second time (after the biopsy) under general anaesthetic. I've been reflecting on the rollercoaster since then. PSA never quite undetectable and that sense of three-monthly dread before RT in May 2023. Then a six-month wait to be told PSA was undetectable in December. Now starting to turn my mind towards the next blood test in June and hoping that I stay where I am. And all through this time, I have relied on the sage advice and camaraderie of the generous folk on this site. Which has really played a role in helping me come to terms with and tackle the uncertainty and horror of this awful disease.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 07:48

Thanks for the update, I am not far behind you 2yrs in May since my surgery. Gleason score of 3+4, PSA of 20 at diagnosis, with a massive prostate to boot. It was challenging in the early months with ED and night time incontinence, both of which still are present, even though I have learnt to live with it and work around it. I still have that nagging thought in my head whether I went for the right call with surgery or should have pushed for AS. 

As I always say, everyday is a new day!

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 05:06

Thanks for the update mate. I hope you continue to progress. I think we all dread the PSA tests. I certainly do.

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 07:48

Thanks for the update, I am not far behind you 2yrs in May since my surgery. Gleason score of 3+4, PSA of 20 at diagnosis, with a massive prostate to boot. It was challenging in the early months with ED and night time incontinence, both of which still are present, even though I have learnt to live with it and work around it. I still have that nagging thought in my head whether I went for the right call with surgery or should have pushed for AS. 

As I always say, everyday is a new day!

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 08:00

Hi Superhoop,

PSA Anxiety is awful, I’m already getting twitchy about my next test beginning of April. You can comfort yourself maybe in that if your PSA does rise that you DO have a Plan B.

Onwards and  Downwards[PSA)

Derek

User
Posted 15 Mar 2024 at 08:04

Superhoop, If waiting for the next test in June is causing you issues, you could ask your GP for an interim test. You have had some very low PSA results and your medical team seem very proactive. Worrying about the results won't alter them, easy for me to say after being on this journey for over ten years.

Thanks Chris