I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Do I continue with PFEs,VED & Tadalafil?

User
Posted 21 May 2024 at 18:48

I am 10 months post RALP surgery ( at UCLH - who were excellent).

I take 5mg tadalafil daily, do pelvic floor exercises daily and use a VED pump twice per week. I have been continent from the start. 

My penis is shorter than before, I have much less nerve sensation than before, I do not get erections (I am mid 70s and didn’t get strong erections before), I can give myself dry orgasms (even though it still feels weird), I enjoy occasional sexual relations with a partner without intercourse (a 20mg ‘event dose’ of tadalafil does not improve things).

My question to you guys is :

1. Do I need to do PFEs forever?

2. Should I continue to take low dose tadalafil forever ?

3. Should I continue to use the VED pump (forever) ?

i.e. I don’t expect further improvement, but do I need to continue - to maintain my penile health and stop any deterioration (further shrinkage etc) ?

I would really appreciate any thoughts and experience, and thank you in advance.

I also thank this site. Before my operation I read every post to gain some understanding.  

User
Posted 22 May 2024 at 07:29

Hi, 

I would continue all three.

1. You don't mention how your continence is going, but I would recommend keeping up your PFE's. I'm over 4.5 years post op and still do mine twice daily because I want to maintain my continence as I get older. 

2. I would continue taking the tadalafil, it improves blood supply and is supposed to help nerve repair (assuming you had nerve sparing surgery). This can take a long time. I still take tadalafil. 

3. I would continue using the pump. It's important to keep your penis healthy. 

Another thing about tadalafil is that it is supposed to be good for blood flow to the heart (not that I'm a doctor) so another reason to continue taking it.

Hope my opinion has helped.

Good luck. 

Kev.

User
Posted 22 May 2024 at 11:55

Hi Bill

I was about your age when I had prostatectomy over 12 years ago. Like you, my prescribed) helped me to achieve 99.9% continence and I continue to use VEDs for erection. Minor incontinence is a nuisance because I leak when sexually excited and ejaculate urine at orgasm but we are still sexually active. You may like to have a look at the following link to give you some ideas about the possibility of re-establishing regular sex life, as we have:

https://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t28948-Re-establishing-Sex-Life

You may send me a private message for more help.

Good luck.

Edited by member 22 May 2024 at 11:55  | Reason: Not specified

'Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.'                    Richard Feynman (1918-1988) Nobel Prize laureate

User
Posted 24 May 2024 at 17:20

Thanks Kev,

My continence had been good from straight after the operation.

I think what prompted me to make the post is that I'm going on a travelling holiday overseas for 6 weeks soon  and I was minded to leave the VED pump behind. But I guess I should take it and carry on with my program and feel grateful that I've had (what I hope is and will continue to be) a successful treatment .

NB my younger brother died form prostate cancer. 18 days from diagnosis to death. That was shocking .

Cheers Billy

User
Posted 24 May 2024 at 17:26

Thanks for your response, Pratap.

I think I will need to continue with my program. Although I cannot do penetrative sex ( I couldn't before the op). I find full body contact , skin to skin and, the other things a couple can do very pleasurable and beneficial  (- healing for my psyche).

best wishes

Billy

User
Posted 24 May 2024 at 17:27
Vacuum pump forever !! I am 9 years post surgery and 57 and incurable. But I got into the habit of using it 3 times per week when I shaved. The 5mg Tadalafil was a game changer and led to a great sexual recovery. I stopped it a year ago to help with ongoing leg and knee pain ( I’ve been on injectable HT for 3 years ).

As regards to PFE’s I stopped them soon after surgery as I was continent. I leaked urine during sex only for a while but it soon stopped. Good luck.

PS I’ve taken pump on all holidays. Never been stopped 😀