I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

My first psa reading of 30

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 22:37

I am 62, never even entered  my head that I might  have PC.

I'm not really  sure of how bad it is in real terms. I spoke to the 2ww team and they said I need a mri and biopsy to confirm. 

Has anyone  had similar and not been diagnosed with PC. other than i get up one a night for the toilet  everything  else seems ok.

Just scared my self silly thinking class 4 and terminal ?

Thanks

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 18:15

Hi Marvel,

When I was diagnosed with a PSA of 36 my GP phoned me to tell me I almost certainly had PCa. he was very blunt about it and didn’t really show much empathy. However that’s not really important, what matters is that you will now be on a pathway to diagnosis and treatment, and I can’t fault any of my treatment here in Fife. It was very swift and well organised.

Try and keep yourself busy as waiting is always the worst…avoid Dr Google if you can. I was on a curative pathway so you may well be too. Always try and keep a positive attitude, it really helps get through this and if you need support seek it out from somewhere such as Maggies.

Good luck on your journey!

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 13:54

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
but I’m sure there are men on here who have been T3b and had surgery.

Surgery is not normally offered in this case, but there are plenty of cases where it's only found to be T3b during the prostatctomy.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 16:08
Yep, that will be me :)

I didn't find out I was T3B until after the surgery (RARP) and even though the PSA was "<" after surgery, it started to rise and a year later I started SRT which seems to have done the job.

Even though it wasn't the ideal pathway, I am still glad to have the darn thing out of me :)

User
Posted 08 Jul 2024 at 22:37

I am 62, never even entered  my head that I might  have PC.

I'm not really  sure of how bad it is in real terms. I spoke to the 2ww team and they said I need a mri and biopsy to confirm. 

Has anyone  had similar and not been diagnosed with PC. other than i get up one a night for the toilet  everything  else seems ok.

Just scared my self silly thinking class 4 and terminal ?

Thanks

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 09:30

Hello mate.

Sorry that you've had to find us, but I'm glad that you have. Welcome to the forum.

I must stress that I'm not medically trained.

As far as I'm aware, PSA tests are only an indicator for prostate cancer. A high PSA level can be caused by other prostate problems including inflammation and enlargement.

Therefore, there are some cases of men with high PSA being cancer free, and other cases of men with low PSA having aggressive cancer. 

For over 3 years, my PSA was only 5, yet I had quite aggressive Gleason 9 (4+5) cancer.

However, generally, the higher the PSA the greater the likelihood of cancer.

Your MRI and biopsy will shed far more light on your condition.

People on here will support you through diagnosis and any treatment you may require.

My advice would be try not to worry. Take each procedure and set of results as they come. 

Best of luck pal.

Edited by member 09 Jul 2024 at 09:50  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 12:34

M , I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 62 with a PSA of 7.7. At the time I was working with a guy who was getting PSA results sometimes in the region of 200, despite several biopsies they didn't find and cancer in him. That was over 10 years ago.

I would not pay too much attention to the 1,5,10 year figures, on diagnosis my consultant said If they did nothing I would still be here in 10 - 15 years.

As regards the financial aspect a crystal ball would be a great asset.

Stay positive until you have all the relevant info, I assume you don't have any previous PSA test results.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 09 Jul 2024 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 12:42

Again I'm not medically trained but it's highly unlikely to be 'terminal' - chances are extremely high that you will die of something else and not prostate cancer, especially as you have now found out about it and will start a treatment plan.
The chances are high that you do have PCa - it 'might' not be, but probably is. But try not to worry, the treatments are very successful and extremely well proven and you will be amazed by the number of people in the same situation.
People get told that they have prostate cancer and all they here is "CANCER" - all cancers are not the same and PCa is slow to develop.
After your biopsy, you will be offered various types of treatment - we have seen and experienced them all in this forum so feel free to ask whatever questions you need answers to - we are a friendly bunch!
Saying 'don't worry' won't help I know but based on our experiences, the worry is 100x worse than the actual reality :)
Wishing you all the best!
Steve

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 07:37

Hi lads, thanks for the support a busy 2 weeks,  ultra sound, mri, CT, scan and bone scan. Results  are back from the MRI,  consultant say its PC I have a 3cm growth that is protuding, on one side,  but not spread to the nodes, bowel  etc so good news, just waiting  on the other Results  bur he said the MRI is the main one. I'm having a biopsy  in the next 10 days, then he hopefully  plans to start treatment. 

Unsure of how long be fore treatment,  despite  them saying  it will be soon.

So hope on the horizon,  thanks, I'll keep  you updated 

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 08:08

My growth was 3cm as we’ll Marvel and just protruding into the Seminal Vesicles, so surgery was ruled out for me.

So, we have quite a similar diagnosis, be interesting to hear how your journey compares with mine.

Im sure treatment will start soon after your biopsy, although if surgery is an option, you might have to wait for that. I started HT treatment very soon after the MDT meeting.

Good luck with your biopsy, I found that ok, just a little discomfort as they took the samples, but the nurses were fabulous at keeping me occupied during the treatment and protecting my modesty….well, as much as they can with your legs up in stirrups and your arse open to the world 🤣🤣🤣

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 06:53

If it's gone into the seminal vesicles, you get better outcomes using radiotherapy, so they don't usually offer prostatectomy in this case.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 07:14

I have my biopsy next week it should have been tomorrow but was moved. If you don't mind s me asking why didn't the remove it...is it because it had broken out?

I was initially offered Surgery, which I was going to opt for, but when the MDT met they ruled it out because it had spread to the Seminal Vesicles(borderline case), much to my disappointment. There’s certainly a much higher risk of requiring SRT if it’s broken out, but I’m sure there are men on here who have been T3b and had surgery. I think it might depend on which NHS Trust you are in.

Anyway 2 years down the line I have had RT and now also finished HT(thank goodness!) and I am <0.1(undetectable). If However my PSA starts to rise above 2.0 when my testosterone starts to come back, then it will be HT for life….which scares the sh..t out of me!

I should point out that some men have few(if any) side effects, whilst others have every side effect going😩 That’s not to say surgery is an easy option with risk of permanent ED and incontinence.

You’re really just have to wait until after your biopsy and the MDT to decide what’s next.

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 20:16

Marvel. I had a T3b diagnosis and the MDT suggested surgery was probably the better option. It just seems to vary with what area you are in or maybe my surgeon was very influential on the MDT. I did end up opting for the surgery, mainly because I didn't fancy the three years of HT. I was also warned that SRT was a strong possibility following surgery and that turned out to be the case. I'm not making any recommendation here either way but if you are thinking of surgery you need to find out whether the surgeon believes it can be nerve sparing. Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 08:43

This will depend what treatment(s) are offered, how long you take to make up your mind, and how long the waiting list for that treatment is. It's not usually very urgent to start treatment, unless you have spinal mets which are immediately risking your spinal cord, so you can usually take some time to consider the options they give you.

If the only option is radiotherapy with hormone therapy, or that's what you'd already decided you want, you can start that the day you get the biopsy results, unless they want to get any other type of scan which needs to be done before starting treatment. The treatment at that stage will be hormone therapy which needs to be done for at least 3 months before they can do the radiotherapy.

You will need some time off work. For radiotherapy, this will be for a few hospital appointments so probably just half-days or less depending on traveling time. For the radiotherapy itself, this is most likely to be every weekday for 4 weeks where you'll need to be in the hospital for 30-60 mins. Many people pop out of work for this, again, depending on traveling time. If you are working, they can sometimes give you an early morning or late day slot so you pop in on the way to or from work.

Edited by member 26 Jul 2024 at 08:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jul 2024 at 22:23

Biopsy today, went OK, no pain also got the results of the CT  and bone scan which came back as negative  for any spreading, which tied in with MRI so now I have to wait for the results of how aggressive. 

Then hopefully the options available, just a waiting  game

User
Posted 30 Jul 2024 at 22:27

Hi mate.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you found the biopsy unproblematic. Good luck with the results.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 00:04

Hi Marvel,

glad it went ok, I won’t say try and relax whilst waiting on the results, but keep yourself busy and be good to yourself to keep your mind from thinking the worst.

Good luck with the results.

Derek

User
Posted 11 Aug 2024 at 22:55

Thanks, I'm now a bit confused,  I will double check, I have another  meeting on Thursday, so  will ask.

he definitely recommended ht and rt, and nor removing the prostrate. The CT Mri and bone  scan came back negative , I need to do some research.  Thanks for the heads up

He also mentioned  that as I have previously had a heart attack  and have 3 stents, they have to consider the risk of me be sedated for a few hours.

Just confused but I will discuss  further  on Thursday. 

Cheers 

Edited by member 11 Aug 2024 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Aug 2024 at 08:29

Hello mate.

Your heart condition is probably why they've ruled out the op. I had badly blocked arteries and there was a prolonged debate as to whether my heart would stand up to the stress of surgery. I believe during  robotic surgery your feet are higher than your head which puts even more pressure on your heart.

Eventually my cardiologist persuaded them that I was suitable for surgery. Everything went well but, just as if to prove the concerns of the anaesthetist were justified, I had a minor heart attack two months later.😁

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 11:43

I have not seen anyone post about the fact that having the prostate removed causing a reduction of one to two inches of the penis. This is because the two cut ends of the urethra have to be reconnected. I think more men would decide on radiation treatment or brachytherapy etc. if they were told about this. The potential incontinence and impotence are of course other significant concerns.

Mt doctor did not tell me about the shortening of the penis or about the blood in the semen. I find this all reprehensible. I have not decided what treatment to have yet.

Edited by member 20 Aug 2024 at 11:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 15:21

I'm the same, over the last four weeks things have progressed  quickly  I think, I've had every test and seen 3 different  consultants, all beit private  just waiting on the mtd decision,  the meeting  is today...not sure if I can make the decision , I know it sounds  daft but part of me says whip it out, at least the main culprit has gone mine is T3a so it not spread or at least they can't  see it. But there is always the option then of having to give rt. So part of me thinks just have rt and ht, it's longer but I don't think  there are so many  issues .

I just don't know

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 15:37

I have not seen anyone post about the fact that having the prostate removed causing a reduction of one to two inches of the penis. This is because the two cut ends of the urethra have to be reconnected.

Bloomin' eck! If I'd lost two inches, I'd have ended up with a vagina.

Joking apart,  this research suggest initially you may lose a cm but gradually you get back to normal.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23102441/

Edited by member 20 Aug 2024 at 15:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 21:09

I wasn't told about the potential penis shrinkage either and only found out after the event. Yes, it does look a bit smaller in the erect state these days but it has always been more important to me is that it still works. With a bit of help from Tadalafil and a cock ring it is just about good enough for penetrative sex. My wife reckons it is a better fit so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 18:27

Time seems  to stand still no results  yet from my mdt meeting,  just wanting to start treatment, noticed slight  pain in my groin not sure if it's because  I've not been doing much , it's only been  3 weeks  since the biopsy so hopefully  it's nothing  too serious.  Not sure if it's just a side effect? 

Still hopefully next week u should get and update. Fingers crossed. 

User
Posted 26 Aug 2024 at 10:25

Very interesting PubMed research.  I notice that they excluded men who had used penile rehabilitation techniques from the study and they observed better outcomes for men who had not lost erectile functioning after surgery.  I wouldn't have been eligible to participate in the research on both counts.

Hello mate.

What I found interesting about the research is how they measured the penis using stretch length. I suppose most blokes have used flaccid length or erect length as standard measurements. I'd never heard of a stretch length penis measurement before. 

I told my wife and she said "I'm glad that they dont use stretched boob lengths for ladies!" I cheekily agreed. 😁

I find it incredulous that so little research has been done on whether or not prostatetectomies affect penis dimensions.

Likewise there is very little scientific evidence on the efficacy of pumps for penile rehabilitation. According to the research I cited the difference would be minimal and that seems to be the general consensus of scientific opinion regarding the benefit of pumps.

The only penis exercise I've done over the past year or so is 5 Invicorp injections a month. I think I may have lost a a bit of length but my girth seems to have improved. Generally I'd say my erections are about 80% as good as they were pre op. 

I was terrified by tales of atrophy if you didn't use pumps. I dreaded the thought of my todger shrivelling up and dropping off like a lamb's umbilical cord. Fortunately, as yet, these fears have not materialised.

Edited by member 26 Aug 2024 at 10:56  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 07:55

If you’ve been given a choice then I think you’re lucky, although it’s not an easy choice to make…for some people anyway. I would wait until you’ve seen both the surgeon and Oncologist before making your decision. Be aware that going down the HT/RT route is no walk in the park for some people.  I had my last injection 6 months ago, my treatment is finished and hopefully successful, but ATM every joint in my body from my neck to my Achilles aches form the side effects of Prostap. You might be one of the  lucky ones and not get severe side effects but the point I am making is that both treatments have side effects, some get them worse than others. One thing to bear in mind though  that with staging of T3a I think there is a higher chance of requiring SRT somewhere down the line.

I’m sorry if I’ve muddied the water here but good luck with your decision.

Derek

Edited by member 29 Aug 2024 at 07:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 10:29

The problem is, you can never guarantee, with either surgery or RT/HT or surgery, what side effects you'll get. I did lots of research of both treatments and picked RARP because it only involved, if all went well,  just one overnight hospital stay. The thought of having 35 hospital visits in 7 weeks for RT,  I felt was too long a process for me, plus I'd have been risking the additional side effects of HT.

My younger brother had PCa 3 years earlier than me, he selected RT and HT and appears happy with his choice. I'm happy with selecting RARP.

The only thing I wish I'd given more consideration to was the chances of recurrence. I never thought it was mentioned enough during consultations. I think many blokes reckon that when they select surgery and have 'the bugger cut out' they think that's it sorted, but it often isn't. The risk of recurrence then comes into play. However the recurrence risk also applies to those on RT.

When you compare the outcomes and side effects of thousands of patients and side effects, there is very little difference between the two radical treatments. However, how each treatment affects individuals can vary enormously.

I joined this site after my surgery. In a way I'm glad I did, because excellent though it is, in my opinion, it definitely focuses and is very biased towards poor outcomes. The vast majority of posters here, have had problems, no matter what treatment they've had. This unbalanced picture can cause unnecessary concern. I suspect the vast majority of PCa patients treatments go well but we rarely hear from them.

The forum is superb for giving support and a lot of peer reviewed research can be found on here. However I think care should be taken when using personal experiences on here to make treatment decisions.

Edited by member 29 Aug 2024 at 15:04  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 03 Sep 2024 at 05:13

Good luck with your treatment mate. I hope you make a smooth recovery. Please keep us posted with how you get on.👍

User
Posted 05 Sep 2024 at 18:01

Hello mate.

I haven't, without the help of injections, felt stiff for years. ☹️

Joking apart, I was only on Bical for a couple of months. The only side effect I got was sore nipples but I believe your symptoms are quite common for those on HT.

Edited by member 05 Sep 2024 at 18:06  | Reason: Typo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 09:30

Hello mate.

Sorry that you've had to find us, but I'm glad that you have. Welcome to the forum.

I must stress that I'm not medically trained.

As far as I'm aware, PSA tests are only an indicator for prostate cancer. A high PSA level can be caused by other prostate problems including inflammation and enlargement.

Therefore, there are some cases of men with high PSA being cancer free, and other cases of men with low PSA having aggressive cancer. 

For over 3 years, my PSA was only 5, yet I had quite aggressive Gleason 9 (4+5) cancer.

However, generally, the higher the PSA the greater the likelihood of cancer.

Your MRI and biopsy will shed far more light on your condition.

People on here will support you through diagnosis and any treatment you may require.

My advice would be try not to worry. Take each procedure and set of results as they come. 

Best of luck pal.

Edited by member 09 Jul 2024 at 09:50  | Reason: Additional text

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 11:24

Cheers,  obviously all my retirement and financial  plans are in the air, hopefully going  private to get quick results so at least  I know where I am.

Read so much on life expectancy 1yr 5yrs 10yrs just crazy,  I know I don't  even have a definitive answer. Just seems a mine field,  people  have survived with similar or higher psa...so m8xed up

Thanks, for answering c

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 12:34

M , I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at the age of 62 with a PSA of 7.7. At the time I was working with a guy who was getting PSA results sometimes in the region of 200, despite several biopsies they didn't find and cancer in him. That was over 10 years ago.

I would not pay too much attention to the 1,5,10 year figures, on diagnosis my consultant said If they did nothing I would still be here in 10 - 15 years.

As regards the financial aspect a crystal ball would be a great asset.

Stay positive until you have all the relevant info, I assume you don't have any previous PSA test results.

Thanks Chris 

Edited by member 09 Jul 2024 at 12:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 12:42

Again I'm not medically trained but it's highly unlikely to be 'terminal' - chances are extremely high that you will die of something else and not prostate cancer, especially as you have now found out about it and will start a treatment plan.
The chances are high that you do have PCa - it 'might' not be, but probably is. But try not to worry, the treatments are very successful and extremely well proven and you will be amazed by the number of people in the same situation.
People get told that they have prostate cancer and all they here is "CANCER" - all cancers are not the same and PCa is slow to develop.
After your biopsy, you will be offered various types of treatment - we have seen and experienced them all in this forum so feel free to ask whatever questions you need answers to - we are a friendly bunch!
Saying 'don't worry' won't help I know but based on our experiences, the worry is 100x worse than the actual reality :)
Wishing you all the best!
Steve

User
Posted 09 Jul 2024 at 18:15

Hi Marvel,

When I was diagnosed with a PSA of 36 my GP phoned me to tell me I almost certainly had PCa. he was very blunt about it and didn’t really show much empathy. However that’s not really important, what matters is that you will now be on a pathway to diagnosis and treatment, and I can’t fault any of my treatment here in Fife. It was very swift and well organised.

Try and keep yourself busy as waiting is always the worst…avoid Dr Google if you can. I was on a curative pathway so you may well be too. Always try and keep a positive attitude, it really helps get through this and if you need support seek it out from somewhere such as Maggies.

Good luck on your journey!

Derek

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 07:37

Hi lads, thanks for the support a busy 2 weeks,  ultra sound, mri, CT, scan and bone scan. Results  are back from the MRI,  consultant say its PC I have a 3cm growth that is protuding, on one side,  but not spread to the nodes, bowel  etc so good news, just waiting  on the other Results  bur he said the MRI is the main one. I'm having a biopsy  in the next 10 days, then he hopefully  plans to start treatment. 

Unsure of how long be fore treatment,  despite  them saying  it will be soon.

So hope on the horizon,  thanks, I'll keep  you updated 

User
Posted 21 Jul 2024 at 08:08

My growth was 3cm as we’ll Marvel and just protruding into the Seminal Vesicles, so surgery was ruled out for me.

So, we have quite a similar diagnosis, be interesting to hear how your journey compares with mine.

Im sure treatment will start soon after your biopsy, although if surgery is an option, you might have to wait for that. I started HT treatment very soon after the MDT meeting.

Good luck with your biopsy, I found that ok, just a little discomfort as they took the samples, but the nurses were fabulous at keeping me occupied during the treatment and protecting my modesty….well, as much as they can with your legs up in stirrups and your arse open to the world 🤣🤣🤣

User
Posted 22 Jul 2024 at 21:33
I have my biopsy next week it should have been tomorrow but was moved. If you don't mind s me asking why didn't the remove it...is it because it had broken out?
User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 06:53

If it's gone into the seminal vesicles, you get better outcomes using radiotherapy, so they don't usually offer prostatectomy in this case.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 07:14

I was initially offered Surgery, which I was going to opt for, but when the MDT met they ruled it out because it had spread to the Seminal Vesicles(borderline case), much to my disappointment. There’s certainly a much higher risk of requiring SRT if it’s broken out, but I’m sure there are men on here who have been T3b and had surgery. I think it might depend on which NHS Trust you are in.

Anyway 2 years down the line I have had RT and now also finished HT(thank goodness!) and I am <0.1(undetectable). If However my PSA starts to rise above 2.0 when my testosterone starts to come back, then it will be HT for life….which scares the sh..t out of me!

I should point out that some men have few(if any) side effects, whilst others have every side effect going😩 That’s not to say surgery is an easy option with risk of permanent ED and incontinence.

You’re really just have to wait until after your biopsy and the MDT to decide what’s next.

Derek

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 13:54

but I’m sure there are men on here who have been T3b and had surgery.

Surgery is not normally offered in this case, but there are plenty of cases where it's only found to be T3b during the prostatctomy.

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 16:08
Yep, that will be me :)

I didn't find out I was T3B until after the surgery (RARP) and even though the PSA was "<" after surgery, it started to rise and a year later I started SRT which seems to have done the job.

Even though it wasn't the ideal pathway, I am still glad to have the darn thing out of me :)

User
Posted 23 Jul 2024 at 20:16

Marvel. I had a T3b diagnosis and the MDT suggested surgery was probably the better option. It just seems to vary with what area you are in or maybe my surgeon was very influential on the MDT. I did end up opting for the surgery, mainly because I didn't fancy the three years of HT. I was also warned that SRT was a strong possibility following surgery and that turned out to be the case. I'm not making any recommendation here either way but if you are thinking of surgery you need to find out whether the surgeon believes it can be nerve sparing. Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 04:44
How long after the biopsy do you start treatment, and do you need time off work?

Cheers

User
Posted 26 Jul 2024 at 08:43

This will depend what treatment(s) are offered, how long you take to make up your mind, and how long the waiting list for that treatment is. It's not usually very urgent to start treatment, unless you have spinal mets which are immediately risking your spinal cord, so you can usually take some time to consider the options they give you.

If the only option is radiotherapy with hormone therapy, or that's what you'd already decided you want, you can start that the day you get the biopsy results, unless they want to get any other type of scan which needs to be done before starting treatment. The treatment at that stage will be hormone therapy which needs to be done for at least 3 months before they can do the radiotherapy.

You will need some time off work. For radiotherapy, this will be for a few hospital appointments so probably just half-days or less depending on traveling time. For the radiotherapy itself, this is most likely to be every weekday for 4 weeks where you'll need to be in the hospital for 30-60 mins. Many people pop out of work for this, again, depending on traveling time. If you are working, they can sometimes give you an early morning or late day slot so you pop in on the way to or from work.

Edited by member 26 Jul 2024 at 08:53  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jul 2024 at 22:23

Biopsy today, went OK, no pain also got the results of the CT  and bone scan which came back as negative  for any spreading, which tied in with MRI so now I have to wait for the results of how aggressive. 

Then hopefully the options available, just a waiting  game

User
Posted 30 Jul 2024 at 22:27

Hi mate.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad that you found the biopsy unproblematic. Good luck with the results.

User
Posted 31 Jul 2024 at 00:04

Hi Marvel,

glad it went ok, I won’t say try and relax whilst waiting on the results, but keep yourself busy and be good to yourself to keep your mind from thinking the worst.

Good luck with the results.

Derek

User
Posted 10 Aug 2024 at 15:08

So, saw the consultant today, for the results  of the biopsy,  gleeson score 3 and 4 (7)  he said that it was moderately  aggressive  but happy it was mostly  likely  contained   but there was always a chance that microscopic particuls had travelled  and he recommended that at the mdt meeting  he suggests radio therapy and hormone therapy. He could not see the point in taking  the prostrate  out as it was confined to a small area, doesn't  want to risk ED  or incontinence   he said thst if my psa started to rise then it would  be time to operate...

Just waiting  for the mdt meeting and confirmation of the next action

Thanks for your support  lads.

User
Posted 10 Aug 2024 at 17:36

Hi Marvel,

There are some in here that believe the best course of action is to get rid of the mothership. I’m a bit puzzled but your update though…are you saying if you went down the HT/RT route and your PSA started to rise that they would then operate? I always thought that it was very difficult to operate after RT as it turns you prostate imto a gooey mess? That’s what worries me…when MY testosterone comes back(if ever) and PSA rises showing that the treatment has not fully worked, the only option for me is HT for life😩😩😩😩 if you go for RARP you at least have a Plan B of SRT….as many in here have had.

Good luck with your decision, which might even be taken out of your hands(as it was for me) by the MDT.

Derek

User
Posted 11 Aug 2024 at 22:55

Thanks, I'm now a bit confused,  I will double check, I have another  meeting on Thursday, so  will ask.

he definitely recommended ht and rt, and nor removing the prostrate. The CT Mri and bone  scan came back negative , I need to do some research.  Thanks for the heads up

He also mentioned  that as I have previously had a heart attack  and have 3 stents, they have to consider the risk of me be sedated for a few hours.

Just confused but I will discuss  further  on Thursday. 

Cheers 

Edited by member 11 Aug 2024 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Aug 2024 at 08:29

Hello mate.

Your heart condition is probably why they've ruled out the op. I had badly blocked arteries and there was a prolonged debate as to whether my heart would stand up to the stress of surgery. I believe during  robotic surgery your feet are higher than your head which puts even more pressure on your heart.

Eventually my cardiologist persuaded them that I was suitable for surgery. Everything went well but, just as if to prove the concerns of the anaesthetist were justified, I had a minor heart attack two months later.😁

User
Posted 12 Aug 2024 at 22:29
I hope your okay now.

I seem to be going from one extreme to the other on my journey. Saw the NHS Dr who did 2ww but as I have private medical Insurance I also saw a private consultant, NHS did my CT and bone scan private did my MRI and biopsy. I only used my Insurance as I thought it would be quicker, had my meeting with private consultant, gleason score 3 and 4, recommend rt and ht seeing another Dr this Thursday to discuss treatment plan after mdt meeting. Informed by my private medical, I'm insured for prostrate removal but not radio or Ht, so back to NHS so I have not idea what happens now...and time scales...

User
Posted 13 Aug 2024 at 08:25

I'm fine thanks mate. They drilled out some of the calcification and stented me up. It was a tough two weeks in hospital though, being in for heart treatment so soon after a prostatectomy.

Have you got a cancer staging? If they think it's contained it will be T2, if not T3. IF you had the choice of surgery of R/T and H/T which would you prefer?

User
Posted 13 Aug 2024 at 22:59
I think rt and ht , just because it virtually eliminates incontinence, ir might take longer but I think it's better. Having said that it depends what I'm told Thursday. Just annoyed my private medical doesn't cover therapy. Back to NHS wait game, which is playing with my head. But from what I know I think I should be seen within 31 days
User
Posted 15 Aug 2024 at 22:46
Thursday, tonight I saw another prostrate consultant , who was great. However, he went over my case in detail . He's saying I can have either an operation or therapy. Which has confused me I had got my head around therapy, as my last meeting suggested, but know I'm not sure. If I have it out then is there a greater risk of ED and incontinence , or if I opt for rt and ht does it lesson the risk.

Also not sure if I have an operation how long I will be off work and be fitted with a bag. I have to say I am impressed with the service, but all my consultations have been private funded. That said the consultant tonight works both NHS and private and the surgeon who would operate is the same, he's arranged for me to speak with him next week.

Just confused now, I wish it was taken out of my hands.

Any thoughts or advice greatly appreciated, you all have been brilliant 👏

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 11:43

I have not seen anyone post about the fact that having the prostate removed causing a reduction of one to two inches of the penis. This is because the two cut ends of the urethra have to be reconnected. I think more men would decide on radiation treatment or brachytherapy etc. if they were told about this. The potential incontinence and impotence are of course other significant concerns.

Mt doctor did not tell me about the shortening of the penis or about the blood in the semen. I find this all reprehensible. I have not decided what treatment to have yet.

Edited by member 20 Aug 2024 at 11:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 15:21

I'm the same, over the last four weeks things have progressed  quickly  I think, I've had every test and seen 3 different  consultants, all beit private  just waiting on the mtd decision,  the meeting  is today...not sure if I can make the decision , I know it sounds  daft but part of me says whip it out, at least the main culprit has gone mine is T3a so it not spread or at least they can't  see it. But there is always the option then of having to give rt. So part of me thinks just have rt and ht, it's longer but I don't think  there are so many  issues .

I just don't know

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 15:37

I have not seen anyone post about the fact that having the prostate removed causing a reduction of one to two inches of the penis. This is because the two cut ends of the urethra have to be reconnected.

Bloomin' eck! If I'd lost two inches, I'd have ended up with a vagina.

Joking apart,  this research suggest initially you may lose a cm but gradually you get back to normal.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23102441/

Edited by member 20 Aug 2024 at 15:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Aug 2024 at 21:09

I wasn't told about the potential penis shrinkage either and only found out after the event. Yes, it does look a bit smaller in the erect state these days but it has always been more important to me is that it still works. With a bit of help from Tadalafil and a cock ring it is just about good enough for penetrative sex. My wife reckons it is a better fit so I suppose I shouldn't complain.

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 18:27

Time seems  to stand still no results  yet from my mdt meeting,  just wanting to start treatment, noticed slight  pain in my groin not sure if it's because  I've not been doing much , it's only been  3 weeks  since the biopsy so hopefully  it's nothing  too serious.  Not sure if it's just a side effect? 

Still hopefully next week u should get and update. Fingers crossed. 

User
Posted 25 Aug 2024 at 20:38

Thanks Adrian56,

Very interesting PubMed research.  I notice that they excluded men who had used penile rehabilitation techniques from the study and they observed better outcomes for men who had not lost erectile functioning after surgery.  I wouldn't have been eligible to participate in the research on both counts. :-(.

I'm 2 years post-surgery, and I'd say that I've lost 1-2cm. in length.  However, the study gives me some hope that I may still see progress for up to 4 years after surgery.  I'm still using the vacuum pump daily, so that may help things along.

Best wishes to all who are struggling with loss of length and E.D.

JedSee.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2024 at 09:19
Yes, the important thing is that any loss of length is CM and not inches :)

However once you are on HT you don't give a dam about what state it's in! :) Losing libido is the major side effect.

Hopefully I am coming off it this week so I'll have to see how long it takes before anything stirs down there.

User
Posted 26 Aug 2024 at 10:25

Very interesting PubMed research.  I notice that they excluded men who had used penile rehabilitation techniques from the study and they observed better outcomes for men who had not lost erectile functioning after surgery.  I wouldn't have been eligible to participate in the research on both counts.

Hello mate.

What I found interesting about the research is how they measured the penis using stretch length. I suppose most blokes have used flaccid length or erect length as standard measurements. I'd never heard of a stretch length penis measurement before. 

I told my wife and she said "I'm glad that they dont use stretched boob lengths for ladies!" I cheekily agreed. 😁

I find it incredulous that so little research has been done on whether or not prostatetectomies affect penis dimensions.

Likewise there is very little scientific evidence on the efficacy of pumps for penile rehabilitation. According to the research I cited the difference would be minimal and that seems to be the general consensus of scientific opinion regarding the benefit of pumps.

The only penis exercise I've done over the past year or so is 5 Invicorp injections a month. I think I may have lost a a bit of length but my girth seems to have improved. Generally I'd say my erections are about 80% as good as they were pre op. 

I was terrified by tales of atrophy if you didn't use pumps. I dreaded the thought of my todger shrivelling up and dropping off like a lamb's umbilical cord. Fortunately, as yet, these fears have not materialised.

Edited by member 26 Aug 2024 at 10:56  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 28 Aug 2024 at 21:31

Tomorrow is another  big day see my consultant  surgeon about removal not sure if it's the right  decision. My mtd meeting  said either rt and ht or op which didn't help. The surgeon is thinking  of robot assisted surgery? Not sure which rt I would get.

I'm just very  confused. I'm classed as t3a gleason 3+4

It the side  effects of surgery and what damage might be caused?

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 07:55

If you’ve been given a choice then I think you’re lucky, although it’s not an easy choice to make…for some people anyway. I would wait until you’ve seen both the surgeon and Oncologist before making your decision. Be aware that going down the HT/RT route is no walk in the park for some people.  I had my last injection 6 months ago, my treatment is finished and hopefully successful, but ATM every joint in my body from my neck to my Achilles aches form the side effects of Prostap. You might be one of the  lucky ones and not get severe side effects but the point I am making is that both treatments have side effects, some get them worse than others. One thing to bear in mind though  that with staging of T3a I think there is a higher chance of requiring SRT somewhere down the line.

I’m sorry if I’ve muddied the water here but good luck with your decision.

Derek

Edited by member 29 Aug 2024 at 07:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 10:29

The problem is, you can never guarantee, with either surgery or RT/HT or surgery, what side effects you'll get. I did lots of research of both treatments and picked RARP because it only involved, if all went well,  just one overnight hospital stay. The thought of having 35 hospital visits in 7 weeks for RT,  I felt was too long a process for me, plus I'd have been risking the additional side effects of HT.

My younger brother had PCa 3 years earlier than me, he selected RT and HT and appears happy with his choice. I'm happy with selecting RARP.

The only thing I wish I'd given more consideration to was the chances of recurrence. I never thought it was mentioned enough during consultations. I think many blokes reckon that when they select surgery and have 'the bugger cut out' they think that's it sorted, but it often isn't. The risk of recurrence then comes into play. However the recurrence risk also applies to those on RT.

When you compare the outcomes and side effects of thousands of patients and side effects, there is very little difference between the two radical treatments. However, how each treatment affects individuals can vary enormously.

I joined this site after my surgery. In a way I'm glad I did, because excellent though it is, in my opinion, it definitely focuses and is very biased towards poor outcomes. The vast majority of posters here, have had problems, no matter what treatment they've had. This unbalanced picture can cause unnecessary concern. I suspect the vast majority of PCa patients treatments go well but we rarely hear from them.

The forum is superb for giving support and a lot of peer reviewed research can be found on here. However I think care should be taken when using personal experiences on here to make treatment decisions.

Edited by member 29 Aug 2024 at 15:04  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 15:57

Thanks everyone it's helped alot, I spoke to a nurse for an hour  today  from cancer  support, she was brilliant explaining the difference between  the two ways of dealing with it. She said either would produce, the same outcome,  which seems positive,  inshort having it out is quick, but not without side effects and loss of nerves etc, it doesn't  guarantee I would  not need rt and ht later as it might gave spread but not visible yet...

RT and HT long route equally as effective,  less side effects but At least  the whole body gets a dose  so should kill off the cancer..

I will listen to the surgeon  tonight but my gut is saying  HT & RT

But thanks for you email they have assured and assisted me

User
Posted 29 Aug 2024 at 23:19

Thursday  29th August 

Saw the consultant surgeon tonight  re robotic surgery. Lovely  chap,  as I'm 19 stone and have a bmi of 40, I would  be the largest  person to work on, he had concerns   that when the bed is rotated then my body mass would move ( fat belly) he might have to stop the op and close me up, then another surgeon would perform  the larger incision and have a go. He also thought that I would be at a grater  risk of incontinence. 

So I think it's the long haul of RT&HT for me

User
Posted 30 Aug 2024 at 07:59

I will listen to the surgeon  tonight but my gut is saying  HT & RT

You were right. Your gut has said no to surgery. 😉

Joking apart it seems that surgery is not the best option for you. In the earlier post yesterday I think you mentioned that radiotherapy covered your whole body. That's wrong it's directed at the disease in your prostate.

Now that RT/HT appears to be best for you stick with and have no regrets in the choice. Are you having it done on the NHS or going private as you have cover for it?

Good luck mate.

Edited by member 30 Aug 2024 at 08:00  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 30 Aug 2024 at 08:40
Although I went the surgery and SRT route, I think in your case given your heart complications and body size that you have made the best decision for you. Just one word of caution however is that HT/RT will cause degrees of tiredness and weight gain and that may be something that you want to consider addressing before the treatment start and certainly during it. You don't need any extra weight or lack of exercise to add any further complications to your overall health.

Wishing you every success in your treatment - as they have told you, it can be cured!

Steve

User
Posted 30 Aug 2024 at 09:15

Nhs, the surgeon  I saw last night  works for both ill be under his care, he will start the treatment  right away,  so Monday or as soon as he wrights the prescription. He said it would  have been a 4 week weight should  I have chose it private and 8 weeks  max on the NHS. 

Thanks for all your help

User
Posted 02 Sep 2024 at 23:16

Good news collected my HT tablets today, now just waiting  to be assigned at cancer or prostrate  nurse, and get a treatment  plan

Thanks everyone  for your help 

User
Posted 03 Sep 2024 at 05:13

Good luck with your treatment mate. I hope you make a smooth recovery. Please keep us posted with how you get on.👍

User
Posted 03 Sep 2024 at 09:26

Nhs, the surgeon  I saw last night  works for both ill be under his care, he will start the treatment  right away,  so Monday or as soon as he wrights the prescription. He said it would  have been a 4 week weight should  I have chose it private and 8 weeks  max on the NHS. 

Thanks for all your help

Hi Marvel,
Just to Clarify, you’re going down the HT/RT route and not been given HT whilst waiting in surgery?

Assuming you’re going down the RT route, you’ll probably be getting your first jab in 2 weeks time, the tablets you’ve been given are just to prevent testosterone flare when you get your first jab.

If there’s one piece of advice I would give is to keep as active as possible and work your muscles whilst on HT. If you’re not a gym goer buy yourself some resistance bands…theres a multitude of exercises you can do with them and they cost pennies. Any weight bearing exercise is good, walking very good and swimming good for easing aching joints and keeping you mobile.

Hopefully you’ll be one of the lucky ones and not have severe side effects.

Good luck!

Derek

User
Posted 05 Sep 2024 at 17:48

Lads just started the ĥt tablets, feel like I have flu, sore throat,  stiff, the about 04.00 this morning hot flush for about 20 minutes,  had to put a fan on.

Is this normal,  and does it last for long  only 4 days in lol

Edited by member 05 Sep 2024 at 18:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 05 Sep 2024 at 18:01

Hello mate.

I haven't, without the help of injections, felt stiff for years. ☹️

Joking apart, I was only on Bical for a couple of months. The only side effect I got was sore nipples but I believe your symptoms are quite common for those on HT.

Edited by member 05 Sep 2024 at 18:06  | Reason: Typo

User
Posted 05 Sep 2024 at 19:45

What HT tablets have you got and what size?

User
Posted 06 Sep 2024 at 17:16

Worked out the flu bit, just tested positive for covid lol