I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Next Treatment

User
Posted 29 May 2014 at 12:40

This is my first post on this new site, so not sure if it's in the right place or not, just tried to update my profile but that doesn't seem to have worked.

Short history of my PCa - Diagnosed Oct 2010 PSA 8.9 (age 58) , radical prostatectomy Nov 2010 - post Op PSA 0.26, RT March - April 2011 (no Hormone treatment), no treatment, no medication and generally fit, PSA drops to 0.15 July2011, but has increased since then to todays PSA 2.8 (this might seem low to lots of you but remember I have no prostate to produce the PSA)

Anyway I've just returned from seeing my Onco, following increased PSA to 2.8 (doubled since Feb 2014) Bone scan and CT scan shows no metastases which is great, although CT scan showed "multiple cysts within the liver" should I be worried about this? - I am. So next appointment is in 2 months time and the likelihood is that I'll have to start HT treatment soon, the Onco hasn't said which type yet so I'm a bit nervous about the potential side effects. I'm still generally fit doing plenty of longish walks (18 miles) regularly and a bit of cycling / exercise cycling, press-ups, sit ups etc. So I'm worried that HT treatment will have an adverse effect on my quality of life, with the potential weight increase and bone brittleness.

Any thoughts / comments from anyone who's got the T shirt - been there, done that???

Cheers for now Ecky

User
Posted 29 May 2014 at 13:49

Hi Ecky,

HT affects men differently but increased fatigue is common. For some, like myself, it has been hard with the lower energy levels. Others here have had less of a problem & have continued to be very active.

Your current fitness will no doubt help a lot. You don't have to gain much weight due to HT ( I haven't ) as it is down mainly to what you eat. Plus some exercise. Avoiding a lot of carbohydrates is a start.

A Calcium/Magnesium/Boron supplement of sensible amount plus Vitamin D3 supplement should off-set bone problems. I've been on HT for around ten years & nothing has fallen off yet.

Can't comment on the cysts. Suggest you follow up with GP ?

User
Posted 29 May 2014 at 13:52
Hi Ecky,

Old Al used to swear that regular swimming helped him to combat the fatigue and gave him the oomph to do his other activities.

Good luck,

Lyn

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jun 2014 at 09:45

Rob, Thanks for the reply / info, like a lot of things I guess it's a wait and se process, appreciate the advice on supplement for bones, Cheers

Lyn, Thank you also for reply / info, My wife often tells me to go jump in the river, but she knows I can't swim! I'll stick to walking / cycling,

Cheers Ecky