Show search

Notification

Error
12>

Bladder neck obstruction

User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 12:09
Hello

Just a query really or after others experience.

Following my RP in Feb 13. I was left with a bladder neck stenosis, basically my flow is weaker due to the smaller opening. They were going to do a badder neck incision but agreed the potential SE ie possible incontinence was not worth it. I go to the toilet normally ie a stand up wee, I'm never up through the night and I don't have urgency and I'm totally continent.

But I recently read urinary tract obstructions can cause kidney and bladder problems. Do you think I am right in presuming this is when men can't empty their bladder fully ie still have a sense of the need to go when they have been, up through the night etc or is it something I should raise with the medics. As I say my toilet life is pretty normal apart from it probably takes 30 seconds longer than the average man

Cheers all

Bri

User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 15:58
Hi Bri,

As a bloke who now has a catheter in I will answer your question before Lyn has a go........30 seconds longer than the average man.....who is this average man and who is the person going round gents toilets measuring this "average flow" secondly stop reading up on such matters....there you have been told off, you know what I'm going to say next....if you want to have a good read have a look at some of the books Mark Shands has written. What a life he led every bit an adventure, killed by a revolving door but for him and you,

Life is for living

Barry ( alias Barrington )

User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 16:16
Forwarned Forarmed TG, you know that. Ok maybe I should have said my flow post op is quite reduced when compared to how it was pre op. Having seen the offending bladder opening via David Attenborough's camera I can see why. They couldn't get the camera in my bladder as the opening was so small.

I'm having no other problems but do need to be aware of possible complications so I can be proactive.

Anyway you've cheered me up telling me off, you haven't done that for a while which worried me a tad

Keep kicking its axxse Barry

Bri

Edited by member 19 Jul 2014 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 23:00

I had an operation to remove scar tissue from my urethra about six weeks prior to my RRP. Scar tissue in the tube, a 'stricture' was found by my surgeon when a camera was inserted to check out my bladder. Of course the camera would not go past the stricture and so the operation had to be done before the RRP so that a catheter could be inserted after that op.

The stricture op was done as a day case, in in the morning and out and home late afternoon. A bit of discomfort peeing for 24 hours but then no further problems at all. No effect on continence and after the op the flow improved a good deal. Probably on a par with having a tooth out at the dentists but of course a general aesthetic rather than local.

Steve

Edited by member 22 Jul 2014 at 23:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 08:51
Hi Bri

My take on it would be if it's not getting any worse leave it alone, if you can cope with it that is. As regards Si post on lasers this link may shed some light on it, pardon the pun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_wJpGhQ5Y

All the best

Roy

Edited by member 24 Jul 2014 at 08:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 21:33
Chris, I self catherise twice a day and probably will continue to do so for ever now as I do not manage to empty my bladder sufficiently retaining between 250 and 400 mls. There is a risk of UTIs from self catherising but equally it stops residue building up in the bladder which can be a place for infection too.

So what does it entail? Without giving you all the details it requires you to insert a catheter, a thin tube, up your penis, past your squinter muscle which can be slightly painful and then into your bladder. At that point the urine is removed easily. When this has stopped you simply draw out the catheter and discard. As long as you do not tense, it sounds a lot worse than it is. You have to be careful with hygiene, I wash my hands three to four times during the process as well as use the hand gels. You only use the catheter once so each catheter is sterile.

I hope that helps. I can tell you more if you need more detail. It's ok and does empty your bladder. The thought is much worse than the reality.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 23:29
I'm doing about 5ml a sec. But that's measuring it myself. I've never had a flow test

Something else.... our Yorkshire Puddings haven't tasted the same for some time now :)

Bri

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 22:51

Hi Chris,

I don't have the complications you describe but ISC (intermittent self catherising) for me is much more a case of mind over matter. The thought of sticking a catheter up my penis was difficult. When I realised I would have to do it four times a day I decided I just needed to overcome the psychological resistance. It now takes me five minutes in total and most of that time is washing. My key tips are:

Stay relaxed, tensing can stop the flow of the catheter.
Wash thoroughly using both hand wash and the antibacterial gel. I wash before I start, after I have got the catheter ready and afterwards. Infection is the biggest worry.
Slide the catheter in, it should be very smooth until it meets the sphincter muscle where there is a little pain, push through it, it stops quickly.
When it goes inside the bladder, you can see the urine emerge and hold steady until it stops. It's magic!
Then simply slide out in a smooth movement.
Wash agin.
Job done.
Occasionally there is some blood on removal, this disappears in a couple of uses. If it does not report it to your uro.
Occasionally the catheter does not work, I have assumed the suction motion simple fails. I just remove, leave it for a while and if my bladder is evidently still full, repeat. I think the odd faulty catheter is inevitable. I have had two or three at most.
Do not re use any catheter.

Hope this helps. It's part of my daily routine now, usually three times a day.

Happy days!

User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 22:15

Sorry to hear it's still not sorted Chris.

As you know I declined on the operating table. I've had two years so far and it doesn't seem to have got worse so fingers crossed.

I hope they can resolve it for you once and for all

Bri

User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 22:39

Sorry to hear you are having such trouble Chris, hope it gets sorted soon!

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 10:26
Chris

I am really sorry to hear about this latest setback. I hope you recover quicky and find that despite the rather traumatic sounding experience, things have actually been improved.

My best to you and to D as well

xx

Mo

User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 10:55

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the trauma of the op at least Chris and here's hoping the camera shows what's happening down there
All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Aug 2015 at 22:40

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to wish you all the best and hope things improve for you soon.

Good Luck for a speedy solution.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 15:56

Really sorry to hear of your problems Chris .hope it gets better very soon . Andy

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 16:22

Chris
I missed this post somehow . Crikes it sounds awful friend and very painful indeed . I just hope you get great attention and get it sorted asap
Chris

User
Posted 26 Aug 2015 at 17:25

Hope you've had your urgent appointment Chris and that the problem has been resolved.

You're really going through it my friend.

Hope life improves for you shortly

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 15:58
Hi Bri,

As a bloke who now has a catheter in I will answer your question before Lyn has a go........30 seconds longer than the average man.....who is this average man and who is the person going round gents toilets measuring this "average flow" secondly stop reading up on such matters....there you have been told off, you know what I'm going to say next....if you want to have a good read have a look at some of the books Mark Shands has written. What a life he led every bit an adventure, killed by a revolving door but for him and you,

Life is for living

Barry ( alias Barrington )

User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 16:16
Forwarned Forarmed TG, you know that. Ok maybe I should have said my flow post op is quite reduced when compared to how it was pre op. Having seen the offending bladder opening via David Attenborough's camera I can see why. They couldn't get the camera in my bladder as the opening was so small.

I'm having no other problems but do need to be aware of possible complications so I can be proactive.

Anyway you've cheered me up telling me off, you haven't done that for a while which worried me a tad

Keep kicking its axxse Barry

Bri

Edited by member 19 Jul 2014 at 16:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Jul 2014 at 19:24
Hi Bri

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it an offence to stand in a public convenience timing people with a stop watch.

Keep Smiling

Roy

User
Posted 20 Jul 2014 at 08:07
it's one of my SE's. Just seeking advice

Edited by member 20 Jul 2014 at 20:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jul 2014 at 19:45
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi Bri

Forgive me if I am wrong, but isn't it an offence to stand in a public convenience timing people with a stop watch.

Keep Smiling

Roy

Now you tell me! I guess I'll just have to find another hobby!

Lawrence

Edited by member 20 Jul 2014 at 19:46  | Reason: Not specified

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Oscar Wilde

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 18:20
Brian

Just had the camera in the penis this afternoon had had the same experience as you ,could not get the camera into the bladder. I recalled your post and asked if surgery to remove scar tissue was going to cause incontinense as I am at present dry, the registrar said as it was scar tissue it "should not " have an effect on continence as it did not work like muscle and sphincter. He said he would discuss with my surgeon/consultant but suggested if nothing was done it could stop me urinating altogether . My op was 28th April 2014 had a couple of bladder scans and the bladder empties fully, had one possible water infection and one definite infection three lots of antibiotics. Flow varies,fire hose discomfort and flow slows or full flow or slow flow or sprays like a garden sprinkler. Does anyone else have any experience of scar tissue removal and it's effect.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 19:10
Chris I haven't had any infections and mine now,whilst not as strong as pre op, is usually a steady slower stream. I did google possible side effects of the bladder neck incision and they did kind of confirm what the consultant said.

Can't see he'd say it if it wasn't possible. But there is a chance without a doubt that the procedure may not effect continence. To be honest if I was having pain and UTI's I would probably opt for the procedure

Bri

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 19:23

Hi Bri,

Father in law has bladder cancer and they stick the camera down his thingy every 3 months then a week later they stick a laser down there to zap them.

He has now been told that the laser struggles to get down and may need a op to make it easier,  now i am not sure how big these lasers are but it makes my eyes waterhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif

of course he get lots of sympathy from me http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif  

Hope that helps, what was the question, no that doesn't help bugger

See you soon si

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 19:57
Cheers Si will forget the laser

Chris I'm aware that it may dwindle to nothing which does make me think. But im now 18 months post op and so far so good. Be interested to hear what your consultant says.

The other thing I didn't fancy was self cathing for so long, but was prepared to accept it

Go with their advice mate. I will speak to the urol at the next appt but think he will prob say same

Bri

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 20:09
Hi Chris,

Over the years I have had 2 TURPS to remove scar tissue and they have never affected continence issues, why would they when the aim is to overcome that type of problem,. However on both occasions I had a urine infection which took some clearing. It is possibly only a coincidence but following both TURPS my PSA rose. This is of course most likely to be the effects of the infection. As a mere layman with no medical background, for me personally I would delay things as long as possible but I must emphasise that's only my take on things,

Best of luck,

Life is for living

Barry (alias Barrington )

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 20:28
Bri

Got slightly confused with Feb 13 in your first post then read it again and realised you meant op was Feb 2013. We are all different but if you have been okay for 18 months makes me lean towards leaving it alone? Not sure how long the inside of the penis takes too heal but the catheter removal was painful as it got stuck. Provided I do not keep getting UTIs I can put up with the erratic flow and it is only discomfort not pain.

Si my father in law and my nieces father in law had the TB treatment for bladder cancer my father in law has been clear for over twenty years.

Thanks to you both. Chris

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 21:16
Barry

Think the turps scar tissue and bladder neck scar tissue are different things. Please correct if I am wrong but, I guess your scar tissue is within the prostate were as Brian and myself no longer have a prostate and the scar tissue is were the bladder is joined back to the urether.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 22:09
That's right Chris. The TURP and bladder neck incision are two different procedures.

I would be guided by the consultant as he knows your situation. When mine said the risk of side effects outweighed what he would achieve you couldn't get me out of there fast enough.

Bri

User
Posted 22 Jul 2014 at 23:00

I had an operation to remove scar tissue from my urethra about six weeks prior to my RRP. Scar tissue in the tube, a 'stricture' was found by my surgeon when a camera was inserted to check out my bladder. Of course the camera would not go past the stricture and so the operation had to be done before the RRP so that a catheter could be inserted after that op.

The stricture op was done as a day case, in in the morning and out and home late afternoon. A bit of discomfort peeing for 24 hours but then no further problems at all. No effect on continence and after the op the flow improved a good deal. Probably on a par with having a tooth out at the dentists but of course a general aesthetic rather than local.

Steve

Edited by member 22 Jul 2014 at 23:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 07:33
Chris and I have a bladder neck stenosis as a result of our ops. It's a build up of 'scar tissue ' where the urethra joins the bladder. This means the bladder neck opening is reduced in size. The procedure is different to a stricture in the urethra

I believe the risk of Incontince is increased due to the location ie near the sphincter etc

Bri

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 20:26
Bri

Quite strange today the flow has been much better and longer between visits to the loo,wonder if the camera moved some thing. Today was continuos flow then stop, no squirts no slow dribble. Seeing nurse led clinic next week 12 weeks post op and phone consultation with Incontinence nurse in couple of weeks. I suppose one slight concern is, do they make smaller cameras if we need to look inside the bladder. Will keep you informed.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 23 Jul 2014 at 23:33
I think if they needed to look in the bladder they would have to do the procedure Chris. That along with if I ever needed a cathetar is something that has crossed my mind, fingers crossed I/we never will

Bri

User
Posted 24 Jul 2014 at 08:51
Hi Bri

My take on it would be if it's not getting any worse leave it alone, if you can cope with it that is. As regards Si post on lasers this link may shed some light on it, pardon the pun.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=-B_wJpGhQ5Y

All the best

Roy

Edited by member 24 Jul 2014 at 08:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 21:24
Had my 3 month post op review on Wednesday PSA undetectable, also did a flow rate test 3.7 ml/ s for main flow, average including squirts to finish 2.5ml / sec. Nurse rang today, surgeon is proposing dilation followed by self catheter for a period , when I queried if the period could be six months she said possibly. Also possibly it could restart the incontinence

Brian have you had the measuring jug and stop watch out to know what your flow is ? Good old google suggests a flow rate of 10ml/sec On the advice of previous posts I have avoided timing men in toilets.

Bladder scan showed 33 ml left in bladder, but I have had no recurrence of infections so far. Looked at the link to green light laser treatment , sounds like an option.

What does self catheter actually involve ?

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 21:33
Chris, I self catherise twice a day and probably will continue to do so for ever now as I do not manage to empty my bladder sufficiently retaining between 250 and 400 mls. There is a risk of UTIs from self catherising but equally it stops residue building up in the bladder which can be a place for infection too.

So what does it entail? Without giving you all the details it requires you to insert a catheter, a thin tube, up your penis, past your squinter muscle which can be slightly painful and then into your bladder. At that point the urine is removed easily. When this has stopped you simply draw out the catheter and discard. As long as you do not tense, it sounds a lot worse than it is. You have to be careful with hygiene, I wash my hands three to four times during the process as well as use the hand gels. You only use the catheter once so each catheter is sterile.

I hope that helps. I can tell you more if you need more detail. It's ok and does empty your bladder. The thought is much worse than the reality.

User
Posted 01 Aug 2014 at 23:29
I'm doing about 5ml a sec. But that's measuring it myself. I've never had a flow test

Something else.... our Yorkshire Puddings haven't tasted the same for some time now :)

Bri

User
Posted 02 Aug 2014 at 14:52
Brian Yorkhull

Thanks for the info.

Brian, a bit slow at first then the penny dropped.

I do a fair bit of driving and post op started looking for toilets on journeys, I noted a lack of WCs , then I saw a sealable urine bottle in Boots so bought a couple. Keep one in the car just in case, not had to use it yet but it has measure scale on it,which was useful when doing the intake output for incontinence nurse and saves problems with the Yorkshire puds.

Read a bit about dilation treatment and get a bit concerned when it talks about attending A&E unable to pass urine.

I think I would like too plan what treatment and when rather than get what is given. Slow flow apparently is common 3-6 months post op and I am at 3 months post op. Brian I guess if your flow has been slow for a long time the opening has settled at an acceptable size.

I do have a slight kidney problem so not keen to store urine for too long.

Has anyone else had experience of other treatments for bladder neck scar tissue following RP.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Aug 2014 at 15:07
I'm 18 months post op Chris. But i have had RT as well which worried me as that can cause problems and to be honest may still. I do think now and again about whether I go to have the procedure. The only problem being at the mo my peeing isn't an issue at all. But what if?

I've never had a UTI or have urgency, I'm never up during the night so I reckon my bladder is emptying sufficiently

The treatment I do know to avoid is where they use an electrical current as the Incontince risks are quite high with that

All the best and keep me updated

Bri

Edited by member 02 Aug 2014 at 15:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2014 at 22:40
Bri

Looks like I will have to answer my own question, flow rate was getting worse, frequency went up, when I say flow it was dribble and squirts. Got a call this morning can you come in Monday morning quick pr_ op then surgery in the after noon! not keen but Thursday morning thought it might be visit to A&E. Frequency every hour but only 100 mm or so (puds will have to taste strange a bit longer). Hope I am okay for Thursday or that will be another bi monthly support group meeting missed. Oh and possibly another UTI also on antibiotics again, GP say UTI should be gone for Monday.

First question Monday is it electric current.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 21:13
Good Luck Chris. I'm sure it will all go ok.

Fortunately my wee is not just a dribble. It's a steady flow but as the doc said I just can't pxss over the fence

Keep us updated

Bri

User
Posted 09 Aug 2014 at 21:49

Now that's torn it just wet myself giggling, thanks for that Bri.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gifhttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 10 Aug 2014 at 14:07
Bri

I could not pixx over the fence. But I could spray a six foot fence from one foot away, but it would take a bit of time.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Aug 2014 at 19:44
Bri

Had the the bladder neck stretched Monday lunch time, they got the camera into the bladder had a look round and found a plastic object in the bladder, that may explain the water infections. I was supposed to have a tap on the catheter after the night bag but because it was not written up I had to have a bag. Had to stop over night because there was a lot of blood in the urine. Went back to work today a bit sore and was by passing quite a bit, then total blockage for an hour all back to normal now. Big debate about who by and when the catheter was coming out but now booked for Sunday. Next step lets see what it has done to the continence, surgeon was confident it would not affect it.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Aug 2014 at 20:16
They found a plastic object in the bladder ..... Hhhhhhmmmm, you mean like a 1 litre jug, a couple of casino chips perhaps or even a small piece of Lego? C'mon Chris - an explanation is needed!
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 13 Aug 2014 at 21:48
Bet it 'was one of the 'staples' they leave in situ after the op

Bri

User
Posted 14 Aug 2014 at 21:21

Hi....

Perhaps not directly relevant, but have had the 'Suprapubic'  (= Belly)  catheter in place for 6 years now.  Has been a trial at times but something I'm now pretty resigned to, and change it myself every 5-6 weeks - think I'm far better at it than they are !   Don't suffer from infections as often as I used to, and positively avoiding antibiotics seems to have paid off.   Next week,  in for saturation biopsy no. 4 ..... and positively shudder at prospect of waking up with both the suprapubic  AND the huge  'triple-barrel' variety up the front  (following the usual rigid cystoscopy to check wrecked bladder and find yet more stones.... )  which is always an eye-watering 'jaws' event on removal.   Will bring the total cores-count to  not far off 100 and doubtless put me out of commission for a while with usual bleeding both sides - the price of  protracted AS/WW, but no complaints.......

Cheers /  David

'It couldn't possibly happen to me....'
User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 15:30

Lyn / Bri

Sorry for the delay in replying. Not had Lego in the house for a number of years, we did go to Monte Carlo but lost all the chips, that left the plastic urine jug, then I realised we had Yorkshire puds so it was back in the cupboard.

Brian was close with the staples, I think.

It was a bit hectic when the surgeon told me what had happened, but three things I remembered were clip, haemorrhage and migration. It is my assumption it was plastic from seeing video clips of the op. I am unable to contact my surgeon at the moment, but may get some info Sunday when the catheter is removed.

My first instinct was that the clip had been left in by accident, but Bri’s comment got the grey matter working.

I have delved into google and found that a “Hem o lok clip” is frequently used in robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy, what I cannot find is confirmation that they are routinely left inside or that they are used in the UK, or how big the clips are if used in the procedure.

On another site, which I cannot now find, it described typical symptoms of clip migration, frequent UTI, urine retention and at three months poor flow rate, which pretty much describes what I went through.

The following are links to old US National Library of Medicine National Institutes of Health

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3272559/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2963780/

Extracts from of the links below

Of the 641 patients, 25 (5.7%), 1 (2.0%), and 2 (1.3%) had a bladder neck contracture after RRP, LRP, and RALP, respectively. Two RRP patients had a bladder stone. In total, 6 patients had surgical clip-related complications. Metal clip migration was associated with 2 (8%) of the 25 RRP cases of bladder neck contracture and both (100%) of the RRP cases of bladder stone. Moreover, both (100%) of the RALP cases of bladder neck contractures were associated with Hem-o-lok clip migration into the anastomotic site.

It appears that surgical clips are prone to migration and may cause, or significantly contribute to, BNC or the formation of bladder stones after radical prostatectomy. These findings raise questions regarding the use of foreign bodies in close proximity to the vesicourethral anastomosis during radical prostatectomy. At the very least, they indicate that care must be taken with the surgical clips used for inducing hemostasis near the apex of the prostate in radical prostatectomy. In addition, because the incidence of BNC after RALP is low, when unexplained voiding difficulty occurs after RALP, one should suspect that a Hem-o-lok clip has migrated, especially because Hem-o-lok clips cannot be detected on X-rays.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 16 Aug 2014 at 17:15
Thanks Chris, I haven't got a follow up app with the urologist regarding this. He's a bit like a car sales rep, great service when doing the business, cap after care.

Will get the next PSA and hol out the way then maybe ask for an appointment to discuss.

Last appt was with his registrar who quite frankly was clueless.

Bri

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 21:09

Bri

Had the catheter removed Sunday morning, came out mid afternoon, bladder almost empty just a few ml left. Was passing urine every half hour until about 2200, got up at 0030, then 0230, and then 0400 for work. Frequencey slowed to every 2 hours during the day but not a lot of volume, 125 ml. rough flow rate 8-12 ml/sec so vast improvement there. Solid stream then stop, but get the feeling I want to pass more. I had a couple of close calls but continence is still there. Early days so will see how it goes tomorrow, in the office all day. Nurses did not have any info on clips, so still in the dark over that one.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 18 Aug 2014 at 22:00
Cheers Chris, sounds promising. Are you self cathing

Bri

User
Posted 19 Aug 2014 at 13:36

Bri

Had normal catheter in from Monday to Sunday then removed. No self cathetering  and frequency getting further apart.

Got to say the bag and catheter was a lot easier this time after a simple procedure rather than after the original op. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 03 Oct 2014 at 21:23

Well six weeks post dilatation I am booked in for a second go at it 20th October, flow rate back down to just under 4 ml/sec with dual and triple flows. I did ask if the vacuum pump could be causing the problem but my surgeon thinks it is related to the catheter removal. My catheter got stuck on the way out and he thinks this may have caused some damage. still got the continence and hope to maintain it following the procedure. I did notice today when urinating that I could not stop the flow, not tried it before but a bit surprised. Had a PSA test whilst there and was told if I heard nothing no news was good news, three days later not heard so assume all is still okay.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 04 Oct 2014 at 08:03

Bit of a bummer Chris. I did read that some men needed the procedure again but not that quick. Hopefully as he says something to do with the catheter removal.
My flow is the same fortunately. There is someone else on here burtcan't remember who, who has had a decreased flow for years.

I'm having an ultra sound scan of my kidneys etc as in a Q&A session with another consultant he confirmed there is the potential for kidney damage with a reduced flow. Quite angry that my consultant didn't arrange this

Hope your next op is successful

Bri

User
Posted 04 Oct 2014 at 21:38
Bri

I have been on blood pressure tablets for about 10 years and have a slight kidney impairment so I get the blood tests for the kidney function at least every year. Good news is I am still emptying the bladder so no worries there. At least I know what to expect so should be no surprises. Following the first dilatation I was doing 20ml/ sec that soon settled to about 10 then gradually down to just under 4.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 05 Oct 2014 at 19:57

Bri,

Just my experience, which may / may not be of interest. I was diagnosed with chronic urinary retention a couple of year ago.  At my maximum my bladder was retaining close on 2 litres.  This is no longer the case as I self catheterise, but it has left me with some kidney impairment and a floppy bladder (atonic?).

I had a Bladder Neck Incision (BNI) in 2013 - which didn't fix it then a TURP in 2014 which has improved things a bit but I still retain about 400 mls or more at the end of the day. The result is that I have to use an intermittent self catheter twice a day.  I have not had any UTIs so far (in one and a half years of using ISC) but I use sterile single use "no touch" catheters.

My understanding is that at the fill levels my bladder gets to now it is regarded as a low pressure bladder and so does not cause significant back pressure to my kidneys.  

It is the amount of urine retention that could potentially cause kidney issues after some time and 400 - 500 mls is full for a normal bladder.

So you really want to get your GP or Urologist to check your urine retention using an ultrasound scanner which they all seem to have now.

Martyn

User
Posted 05 Oct 2014 at 20:21

Cheers Martyn

I'm hopeful that apart from my weaker flow everything is ok. I feel like I'm emptying my bladder when I go ie I don't feel the need to go again. I prob go about the same number of times as I always did it just takes me a bit longer to go.

Bri

User
Posted 06 Nov 2014 at 13:17

Hi

Had another bladder neck stretch Monday 3rd Nov after getting down to a urine flow of 1.25 ml/ sec. Next step is a bladder neck incision if the latest stretch fails. Catheter fitted and to be removed Tuesday 11th Nov along with self catheterising instructions.

Wednesday morning woke with a swelling in the penis (thought the ED was cured) had the usual shower and clean but could not get the foreskin back over the end of the penis. By midday the swelling was worse and the foreskin was inflated like a balloon ( pictures available on request). Trying to get help from the district nurse took over 4 hours only to be told it was not her problem.

Our local hospital urology nurses came to the rescue, "get a bag of frozen peas on the penis until the swelling subsides, use a bit of lube and get the foreskin back over the end of the penis and keep using the frozen peas until the swelling goes down". Fortunately we had an ice pack so we still had veg with our dinner. Three or four hours later it was still tender but not swollen.

The surgeon still seems to think the stricture was caused by the way the catheter was removed, pulled out rather than slid out.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 02:19
I'm glad you came through it okay, chris. Good times. Please, no pictures.

All the best to you.

Lawrence

"I am not young enough to know everything."

Oscar Wilde

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 02:30

I have a picture in my head Chris, I can't get rid of it! Are you likely to be self catherising on a regular basis or is it just in case of urine retention? If you want any advice on ISC please send me a message, I do it at least three times a day and it's very routine now!

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 06:55

Good luck Chris. I saw the consultant recently and he told me hopefully 21 months on my flow should have settled down to my new norm.

You and I discussed our concerns about not getting a catheter in due to the restriction Unprompted he raised this and said not to let any tom dick or Harry near with a catheter. He said a urologist would know how to and relief can be given by drawing off the urine until that time.

Take care
Bri

User
Posted 07 Nov 2014 at 13:11

Thanks For the comments

Yorkhill

How long will I be self catheterising ? It is more for keeping the bladder neck open rather than urine retention, so it could be for some time.

Any insight and tips would be greatly appreciated, I have read a some of your posts on the subject but fore warned is fore armed.

This is the third time I have had a catheter in six months and not as comfortable this time.  When passing a motion get the feeling it is going to by pass but instead the penis swells, catheter is passing okay so not blocked , any ideas ?

Saw my ED guy yesterday he said the swelling was a good sign but keep off the pump until the stricture has been sorted. 

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 01:21

Hi Guys,

Im Booked in for a Urethral dilitation on Tuesday too.  Its under General Aneasthetic but not quite sure what to expect.

After the original complete blockage 5 weeks after RP and another 2 weeks with the Catheter, things improved but its slowing up again and a nightmare to completely empty the bladder.  Ive fallen sleep sat on the loo dribbling away a time or two.

I was totally dry before the blockage, now im on a couple of pads per day and told it will get worse still after the dilitation.

Not returned to work yet but planning to go on 24th November.  Im supposed to wear a suit but not sure im confident enough yet.  Without being too crude, if one isnt dressed into the pad perfectly, leakages occur.

Im finding with dark jeans, i can get away with a leak un noticed and carry a spare pair in my 'man bag' to change into.  Think ill have to have a chat with HR and agree jeans/shirt/sports jacket in the short term.

The washing machice has been doing overtime here as im obsessed with keeping myself clean and dry and would hate to think that i smelled of pee.

All the best guys.

Life's a Marathon. Run in peace.

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 02:51

Carlos, it sounds to me like you need to try a different brand of pad, a stronger version of what you already have or should perhaps try the pants rather than the pads. You shouldn't be leaking onto clothing. What about Conveen sheaths?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Nov 2014 at 08:30

The situation you are in Carlos is why the consultant and I decided not to go ahead with putting my stenosis right. Having said that my situation is not as bad as yours and if it was I would opt for the procedure.

I hope they get it sorted but as Lyn says try different pads. You should be able to wear your suits with the right pads

Bri