Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Status of bug fixes and usability improvements

User
Posted 25 Sep 2014 at 09:45

Hi all,

As you know, our developers have been working to fix a number of bugs that cropped up after the testing period and user trial we did before launch. We wanted to give you an update on what’s been fixed and what they’re still working on, and why.

Fixed:

‘Last post time’ link doesn’t take users to end of conversation
‘Confirm topic’ button is confusing and results in deleted posts
Scroll position jumps up and down when loading posts
Unable to edit own post
Quick Reply not accepting linebreaks
Visual editor doesn’t create paragraph breaks
Search results pagination error
Search results order incorrect
Search results not displayed on some browsers
Thank button not working
Mobile menu doesn’t appear when not logged in
Hitting enter in tags field triggers search
Avatar image files are too big, load slowly
Changing email address had no password protection

Still working on:

‘Less than’ symbol causes trouble in posts - This is a new issue that’s come up and we think we can fix it pretty easily.

Occasionally posts don’t publish after clicking ‘post’ - We thought we’d fixed this a while back, but we’ve seen it reoccur and we’re re-investigating it now.

Notification emails duplicated -

We know you may be getting multiple copies of notification messages, when you sign up for a new account or when someone replies to a post you’re subscribed to. This is actually a bug in the open source platform we used to build the site, called YAF. YAF is a well established open source platform with a buzzing community that actively support it, but this notification bug is one of the problems with it. Developers for all kinds of communities, not just ours, are experiencing this and trying to figure out why it’s happening so we can stop it. We’ll keep you updated but we don’t have a definite fix right now.

I keep having to log in -

We know you hate logging in, so we’re trying to extend the time the platform lets you stay logged in. Making updates to the session state caused additional bugs to reappear, so we have rolled back to allow us to carry out some further testing before pushing anything live. While there is no session state applied the platform will regularly run updates that will cause you to get logged out. Please also understand that when our developers do work fixing bugs on the site and then move their work onto the live server, they have to restart the software, and that logs you out too. Your logout may just have been because we just fixed a bug. We’ll keep you updated on this, but in the meantime we suggest just saving your password in your browser to make logging in easier.

Internet Explorer and older web browsers -

We’ve had some problems with Internet Explorer not working properly on the community. We’ve fixed the problems for modern versions of the browser, but older versions like IE 7 and IE 8 may still cause problems. These versions are outdated and many other sites on the Web don’t even support them. If you don’t know what browser you’re using, just go to http://whatbrowser.org. Whichever browser you choose to use, we recommend always using the latest version.

Usability issues (not bugs) -

Several people have suggested that there are too many topic areas to find your way around in, so we’re gathering input from users on which ones we can eliminate or combine in order to make the community easier to use. And once we’re confident we’ve got all the bugs worked out, we’d like to find ways to make the site better by inviting community members to participate in user testing, where you can show us directly how you use the site and where you’d running into difficulties and annoyances. To get involved, see this post: http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/m122147-Making-our-online-community-better----incl--bugs--topics--usability#post122147

Best,

Sadie

Edited by member 13 Oct 2015 at 14:10  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Oct 2014 at 10:33

I'm thrilled to report that our developers have made some breakthroughs:

Users should no longer keep getting logged out. We found the reason users were getting signed out repeatedly and fixed it. If it hasn't been more than two weeks since the last time you used the site, you should still be logged in. There may still be an occasional sign-out when developers push changes to the site.

Fix for disappearing posts. Two issues have been fixed which resulted in users losing posts. First, with the session timeout issue fixed users should not get logged out while composing posts. Second, a bug has been fixed which had previously resulted in new conversations being lost when they were edited by a moderator before being approved.

Miscellaneous search issues have also been fixed and search is now working as intended.

Minor fixes:

You can use the '<' character without breaking your post.

All the remaining issues our developers are working on are quite minor things that I don't believe there have even been any reports about from users. 

If the fixes haven't worked for you or you've run into other bugs please let us know at onlinecommunity@prostatecanceruk.org.

Edited by member 09 Oct 2014 at 10:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Oct 2014 at 13:00

Hi Sadie,

Yes, I have noticed that a lot of the annoying glitches have been fixed.

Now, the only way is up!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif

George

User
Posted 10 Oct 2014 at 13:37

Hooray! 

I don't have to keep logging myself onto the site anymore! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif       

User
Posted 10 Oct 2014 at 14:08

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hooray! 

I don't have to keep logging myself onto the site anymore! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif       

Neither do I. Thanks Sadie

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails