Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
<123>

I just don't believe it!

User
Posted 26 Nov 2014 at 14:09

Good to hear that you're back home Steve.  Must be a good sign that the hospital have let you come home fairly quickly.  I'm sure your running would have strengthened your heart somewhat.  Best wishes Arthur

User
Posted 26 Nov 2014 at 18:19

Glad you're back home. Best of luck in your continued recovery. Listen to the medics and keep us informed of your progress.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Nov 2014 at 18:40

Get well soon. It's only an illness and things can only improve given time. Look after yourself and enjoy the telly.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 01:44

Hi,

Hope this isn't too boring.

Bit more rested now. Living under very strict rules about what I can do.  Sitting in a chair or laying in bed seems to be about the only things I can do that makes everyone happy.  Early days yet but I feel like I'm being treated like an unexploded bomb.

Anyway, to give you the missing details of what happened in hospital while I had no internet connection. I found I was the youngest person in my ward in the Cardiac Care Unit.  Most in there had had previous treatment there. 

As I said before, I was transferred to this unit Saturday lunchtime because they believed my problem was with my heart and wanted me to have closer monitoring and more regular checks.  I was in a better place because if anything dramatic happened, everything was on hand to deal with the crisis and give me the best possible care.

On Saturday night I slept much better, partly because I'd slept so little on Friday night.  One thing I did find is that I seemed to sleep most of the day too.  If I tried to stand (with assistance), I found I was very dizzy and if I had a trip to the bathroom, by the time I returned to my bed I was totally exhausted and usually slept for a couple of hours.  Visiting hours were restricted to 2pm till 4pm and 6pm till 8pm compared to an open door policy in the previous ward.  I had internet connection on Saturday but none from then on, so I felt a bit isolated.  When I could receive messages, they helped me so much.  Thank you.

On Sunday, the consultant decided that on Monday they were going to carry out an angiogram to try and find out what my problem was. 

For those that don't know (which would have included me before this weekend) an angiogram is where they feed a catheter into an artery via a cut in your wrist up into the heart, injecting a radioactive dye so they can see what happening via a scanner.  All this is done under local anaesthetic so your very aware of everything that's going on.  Have to admit, I wasn't looking forward to it, but if that's what was needed to make me better, I was prepared to put up with anything.

Monday came and I was seen by a different consultant who decided that when he carried out the angiogram, he would like to try and fix any problems he found straight away if he could.  Couldn't promise anything but said he would try his best.  The only thing that concerned him greatly was my earlier bleeding issue. Because they would have to give me anti clotting drugs, it would cause me real problems if I started to bleed from the rectum again because they wouldn't be able to stop it easily.  In the end, he decided to give me the drugs early to see how would react and put me on the end of his list.  I was really keen for the op to go ahead because I just wanted to be sorted.  Only problem about being last was that I had to listen to the graphic details from the three others who were having the same thing, it made you feel a bit nervous.

Anyway, fortunately, I reacted well to the drugs and I was wheeled into the treatment area for my big moment.  First thing that happened was that I was injected with anaesthetic in my wrist, then cut and the catheter inserted into my artery and feed up into my heart.  A weird feeling but slightly worst was to follow as the radioactive dye was injected into my heart.  It was the only painful moment of the whole operation but only lasted for a few seconds. At every stage I was told what was happening or about to happen. They examined the picture on the scanner and after the team had had a couple of minutes discussion, the consultant explained what they'd found.  He said that it was slightly more complicated than he suspected beforehand.  He said my problem was that my right coronary artery was completely blocked, which he thought was very recent but he found my left coronary artery was almost completely blocked too.  He told me that my choices were that they could stop the procedure now and keep me in hospital until they could do a double bypass operation or he could expand the blocked arteries and insert a stent which would kept them open.  He said that I may have to wait until next week before the bypass could be done but said that the other way would be the simpler solution. I agreed to the stent option but then he said that he could do the right one now but because of my past bleeding incident, it would be far riskier to do the left one at the same time.  He said he would do it but it was my decision.  Decided to have the right side done and ten minutes later it was all done.  The consultant said everything had gone well and showed me "before" and "after" pictures on the screen. I was amazed the difference they had made to my blood flow.

I was soon back on the ward, the whole process had taken just over 45 minutes and I felt fine. They checked my blood pressure every thirty minutes and I was amazed, it was almost perfect.  What a change.  As soon as I was allowed after about two hours, I walked to the bathroom, unaided and no dizziness but slightly weak.  I think, feeling weak was to be expected after being in bed for four days.  Others in the ward said they were amazed by my transformation.

During the night I found I only slept for about 4 hours, I just didn't feel tired anymore.  I worked out that I probably had been sleeping about 20 hours a day, now I was back to normal, felt I had so much more energy.

Tuesday morning, I saw the consultant, he was very pleased with the result and thought I was well enough to go home.  The nurses came and talked to me about everything I should know about how I should live my life now.  They questioned me about diet and were pleased with how I'd changed that since my cancer diagnosis.  I was given complete details of everything that had happened to me including the pictures I'd been shown after the op. I was impressed with the amount of info they gave me.

Late afternoon, I was picked up by my wife along with my eldest daughter and my wonderful grandson.

In summary, I have to say that my hospital experience was a very pleasant one.  All the staff were very friendly, caring and did a superb job.  I was so impressed.  I couldn't have expected better.  I was really surprised by the food, it was really first class and plenty of choice.  I would recommend the hospital to anyone.

I will be seeing the consultant in about four weeks time, if I've had no problem with bleeding, he will correct the other artery, early in the new year.

I had a phone call this morning from a member of the cardiac rehabilitation team to say she is visiting me next Monday.  They will guide me through my recovery and get me fit again. 

Thinking about the whole experience, I think I've been very lucky.  What happened, would have happened anyway in the future.  It could have happened somewhere where help wasn't available as quickly and the outcome may not have been so good.

I'm now going to have to buy another folder to keep all the heart attack info alongside the cancer one.  Do I need to buy two, just in case? Knowing my luck recently, who knows what will come along next?

Thanks for reading.

Steve 

Edited by member 27 Nov 2014 at 08:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 08:39

Wow Steve, you don't do things by halves do you!

So was the bleeding and heart attack two separate events or did perhaps the bleeding induce the heart attack due to blood loss / low BP?
I assume as stents were needed then your heart issue has been there for a while and just bided it's time.

I think perhaps you do need to do the lottery this week, you've managed to navigate a canny route through your issues over the last week or so!

Well, kick back and chill out, get your strength back.
I'm guessing your family are treating you like royalty.

All the best

Kevin

Edited by member 27 Nov 2014 at 08:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 08:47

Oh WoW.....what an experience ,

but take heart (sorry no pun intended) youre young enough to bounce back from this, I spent some time in a cardio ward a few years ago, thankfully mine was minor stuff (Atrial fibrulation) didnt enjoy the experience being in there, I to was the youngest on the ward,

dont try and figure out why me....youll only load yourself up with guilt, in many cases there is no reason why, along with getting cancer I might add,  you have enough to deal with, rest up and you will get better, wish you well, regards, john

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 10:43

It's a great recivery Steve and long may it last. It always feels particularly unjust that when you are ill with one thing along comes something potentially worse. Treatment sounds first class and recovery from these things is good if you look after yourself. I guess the euston flyer is off limits!

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 11:51

You are certainly going through the mill Steve, life can be tough at times. The good thing is that you got yourself to the hospital (or rather Mrs Steve did) and things are now being sorted.

Trevor is an expert on blocked arteries not sure if you have read his bio but we are on heart attack number 4 and 8 stents and all for the same reason as yourself . If you need any help or advice in this area just ask away. Trevor is at rehab this morning after the last event at Easter. He goes every Thur. He was 55 when he had the first attack, so again a similar age to yourself. If there is a positive from Trevor's story then the fact that he is at the gym this morning 10yrs on from the first attack riding a bike (or so he says)http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif then you can overcome this.

Take some time to rest and recuperate then come back fighting, your Cardiac rehab nurse will help immensely of course no parachuting or boxing for a few weeks.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

Stay strong.

BFN

Julie X

PS the folder issue, we have done just about every system and have now gone down the plastic coloured route.

Red - Cardiac

Blue- Cancer

Yellow- stroke http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 12:01

Glad you are home Steve. Seems strange to say, but how lucky are you!! Wouldn't use those words to anyone else - but you said it first  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif.

Doesn't bear thinking about really, the fact that the attack could have happened at any time and anywhere.

Are there Guardian Angels? http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

When John hurt his back severely in 2012 it was the worst pain he has ever had. However, if it hadn't been for that, he would not have had the blood test which showed there was something odd about the prostate. Could have been years down the line before it was discovered and it might then have been impossible to treat as he eventually was.

Enjoy being treated  like a piece of expensive crystal for the time being.

Take care and all the best. Sandra

Edited by member 27 Nov 2014 at 12:02  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 12:27

Just been reading all of your posts Steve.....

You've certainly had an eventful few weeks or so to put it mildly!

I sincerely hope things are now under control for you and you will be able to concentrate on your recovery...

Wishing you all the very best

Luther 

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 19:38

Glad to hear your home safe and sound Steve, relax and enjoy the pampering.

I know you have been through a lot mate, my thoughts are with you and also with your family, they would all have been worried sick.

Best wishes to you and your family, I hope you all have less stressful and worrying days ahead.

Take care,

Gerry.

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 20:27

Well you are the new bionic man...prostate sorted..check...arteries sorted ...check

I agree in a way very lucky...you have been dx with two potentially lethal conditions but dx early enough to sort.
Somehow I reckon you have a long and healthy life ahead of you

Enjoy the recuperation

Bri

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 21:05

Hi Steve

I cannot begin to imagine the upset of all this, so soon after the PCa diagnosis and I do not expect that the bleed caused the HA in light of the blocked artery information.

Thank Goodness that your wife reacted quickly to the bleed and called 999 to get you to the hospital.

You will soon be as good as new!!

On a positive note my OH's father had a similar heart problem 25 years ago (and infact took the triple by-pass option) and is still going strong now at 90 (and the advances in heart treatment since then must be marked). He recently had a pace maker and is stronger and fitter than ever. Not sure how his prostate is, but his heart is strong as an oxes!

Best wishes to you and you are right, you have been lucky to catch this problem.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 27 Nov 2014 at 23:33

Amazing post, Steve.  Glad you're on the mend.  Keep it up!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 12:31

Hi,

I just wanted to thank everyone for your kind messages during my problems.  I wish I could thank everyone personally but so many people have posted messages it would probably take too long.  Anyway, I'm sure you know how I feel.

I should have a clearer picture on Monday about what I'm allowed to do after the cardiac rehibilitation nurse has visited.  It's a bit frustrating about how restricted I feel.  Sitting in a chair or laying in bed seems my only option at the moment and very limited walking.  Not allowed to do anything like cooking, making myself a sandwich or washing up (yipee!).  Went to the doctors and then the supermarket yesterday, but was dropped off at the door in both cases.  Once inside the supermarket, I was wheeled around in a wheelchair by my wife and daughter, a new experience.  Told off everytime I tried to reach out and grab anything off the shelves that might be too heavy, it was like being treated like a kid again.  Hope I can back to normal again soon.

Having a lot of spare time I started to look through some of my cancer info and I found something quite interesting.  On the information leaflet that comes with the Zoladex LA injections, it lists one of the possible side effects of the treatment is an increased risk of a heart attack.  Very interesting.  Has anyone else ever had these sort of problems with this form of hormone treatment?  Would be interesting to know.

After never having any heath problems throughout my life, now it seems as though I getting them all at once.

Thanks for reading.

All the best,

Steve

Edited by member 28 Nov 2014 at 13:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 17:48
Hi Steve

I don't think the small amount of time you have been on hormones would have caused it,, as it seems you had blockage of the arteries, do you have high cholesterol?

Keep resting

Roy

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 18:02

Hi Roy,

My latest cholesterol result was 3.2.

They said the right side coronary artery blockage was fairly recent and probably caused the attack whereas the left side blockage could have building up for years. 

Steve

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 19:41
Hi Steve

That's a good figure, are you on statins or is that your normal reading?

Roy

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 20:18

Hi Roy,

I've been on statins (10mg) for ten years. 

Amazingly the Cardiac Care Unit have just put me on a 40mg tablet now.  I did question why, when my figure was so low but said they wanted to give me the best chance of avoiding further problems, especially in the time before having my second operation.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 20:28

Good to see  prompt action was taken. You are on way up again.

Casodex 150 mg ( not 50mg ) has been linked to such problems & if I recall correctly was stopped from being used in Canada as a result. Not specifically heard of Zoladex causing similar but they all lower testosterone levels & affect muscle. The heart is a muscle of course.

With your diet attention, modern meds & due care there's no reason this can't be put behind you.

User
Posted 28 Nov 2014 at 21:07

Belated best wishes, Steve, and hope for a full recovery.

Glad to hear that the high quality care you received at your hospital was as good as your Nikon!

Kind Regards,

Jacey

User
Posted 29 Nov 2014 at 11:22

Get well soon

User
Posted 30 Nov 2014 at 18:05
Steve I have just caught up as I am away at the moment with up and down internet access. Thank goodness all the problems had explanations and that you are now mending up.

Thinking of you

xx

Mo

User
Posted 30 Nov 2014 at 23:44

Thinking of you Steve. Bloody rough time you've had!

dl

User
Posted 01 Dec 2014 at 23:13

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your recent messages.

I was visited today by my very nice cardiac rehab nurse who I hoped would help me with my escape plan (to get out out of the house) but in this respect, she was a bit of a disappointment.  She agreed with my wife that, at the moment, I should still take it very easy, as until my second angioplasty takes place, I still a serious problem with my heart.  Ok, I can see their point but I do feel as if I could do just a little bit more than I'm allowed to at the moment.  She did agree that I could go for a five minute walk, twice a day, so I suppose that's something but it still doesn't take me as far as our closest pub!

Talking of pubs, I feel terrible that I will miss the Flyer Event in London on Wednesday.  I've been looking forward to it for months and being able to meet some of you.  I was hoping by some slight chance I might be fit enough to attend but it's now seems impossible.  I'm so disappointed.  I hope everyone has a great time though, I will be there in spirit.

Anyway, back to the meeting with the rehab nurse. She did give me encouraging news as all the checks she did confirmed that I was responding well to the new medication.  She also said that she thinks that once the left coronary artery is unblocked, my heart should be stronger than ever because they believe very little damage was caused to the heart muscle because I had early treatment.  Thank goodness it didn't happen when I was in the middle of nowhere.  So, even though I didn't feel that way at the time, I was really lucky.  I didn't realise I should have been celebrating rather than feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Anyway, once I have had the second angioplasty she is going to put me on a fitness course which I'm really looking forward to.  The fitter I am, the better chance I have of fighting my cancer. 

No I haven't forgotten the real reason I am on this site.  I had thought, after I'd seen my oncologist (the day before my heart attack) that I needed something to take my mind off my cancer but what happened wasn't really what I had in my mind.  I did forget my cancer during the time I spent in hospital, when something comes along that could kill you straight away rather than a few years in the future, it does focus your mind on that particular problem.   

I can't believe that in a period of six months (tomorrow is exactly half a year since I was having my biopsy) my life has totally changed.  I am faced by greater challenges than I have ever faced before.  Life means so much more to me now.  I love everyday, even if it's terrible weather. 

In my fight against cancer, I feel as if I've gained so many friends on this site who really care about each other because we're all on the same journey. 

As I approach my sixtieth birthday I'm reminded of something I saw on the internet sometime ago:

"Don't regret growing older...It's a privilege denied to many"

Thank you for being there for me.

Steve

Edited by member 01 Dec 2014 at 23:22  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Dec 2014 at 23:25

"Don't regret growing older...It's a privilege denied to many" - spot on Steve

dl

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 07:41

Great post Steve. I do think that when a sudden event occurs like a heart attack it does put other things into place. In a moment your life is suddenly on a knife edge and little else matters. To pull through and to pull through so well is just great and you have a great chance of putting this episode behind you and get back to overcoming the Cancer! Being positive is part of the essential toolkit for me. I have tried to focus on living my life and nearly three years have gone by, still working and still not reached the more sticky stages of this disease. Being aware of your prognosis is important but being focused on your future with your family and friends is what keeps us motivated and enthused.

I am missing the Euston Flyer as well. I am still in Hong Kong. last year I had a great time and then met by daughter and carried on drinking most of the evening. With this event coming up as if only yesterday I can reflect a year has gone by and life is still going on.

Talk to George about June and come then. It's a similar gathering over the weekend at a great venue. I think you will up and running by then. Relax and enjoy the pampering!

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 08:58
Steve

that old saying is available on a sign, I have it I bought it shortly after Mick died and I now have it hanging in his little tribute corner. I Posted a photo on facebook sometime ago wish I could post it on here for you to see too.

Sorry I will not meet you tomorrow, I had been looking forward to chatting with you and I know everyone else was too. Do try and come to Leicester in June.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 09:24

Brilliant post Steve. So glad you are on the mend.
Keep up the good work.
Best Wishes
Sandra

Edited by member 02 Dec 2014 at 09:25  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 22:04

Hi,

Just had a really nice day with my daughter and cuddling my grandson.  This what life is about.

Made me feel so much better.

Steve

User
Posted 02 Dec 2014 at 23:15

Steve

I really think you're getting the hang of this now http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

We don't call PCa the "Rollercoaster" for nothing you know! Not a great position to be in but you do get to meet some nice people http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 03:17

Hi,

Still resting, not much else to do when you're not really allowed to do much. 

Have had a couple of trips out to the supermarket with my daughter and grandson in her car, but once there I'm still restricted to using a wheelchair at the moment.  My cardiac rehab nurse told me not to take any chances, though I should be ok to increase what I do this week.  I might even get to walk around the supermarket!  Wow, I'm not sure I can handle the excitement.  I did have a fifteen minute walk today and felt no ill effects.  I know I have to put up with this at the moment but it's hard to accept when I'm used to dashing around everywhere.

I can't remember ever having so much time to think.  Any remaining paperwork connected with my business was sorted in the first couple of days and since then, contemplating my own situation has dominated my thoughts.  Usually, I'm so busy I don't have time to do this.  I have to say it's not been easy.  The reality of my situation is hard to accept.  I have been incredibly lucky in the past, never really having great amounts of money but being happy with what I was doing. 

Since the recession, I've found it much harder to earn a living but at the same time found it so enjoyable working for local media again.  I have made so many friends in the local community, met so many wonderful people, many of whom deserve a medal for coping with the difficulties in their lives.  My present situation is nothing compared with what many people have to deal with.  I will be sorry to lose all of that if my work disappears with the closure of the paper I mainly work for.  Makes me feel really sad.

I'm not sure having this time to think is good for me.  It allows me too much time to contemplate the mistakes I've made in my life.  I've been happily married for over 31 years, have always been faithful, have four wonderful children and now a beautiful grandson but now face letting them down in a big way.  I should have had myself checked out when I was first aware of my prostate symptoms.  If I'd have done that, my PCa could have been detected two years ago and much easier to treat.  I should have eaten a healthier diet and looked after myself much earlier in life perhaps I wouldn't have the heart problems I have now.  I made the mistake of thinking it couldn't never happen to me because somehow I would be different from everyone else.  I think this belief was there because I never did have anything happen to me.  It was always happening to someone else.  I know I can't do anything about it now but it doesn't stop me having regrets.

I'm sad that it looks like I won't be able to run the Reading Half Marathon in March as I'd planned to.  I wanted to do this to raise money for PCUK because it would have made me feel as if I was doing something to help fight this dreadful disease but I'm sure I won't be allowed to compete now because of my second heart op I have to have in January.  I may see if I'm allowed to walk it, but I expect the answer will be no.  If it's not the medics who say no, I'm sure my wife probably would.

As much as I'm feeling sorry for myself at this time, I know I should be grateful that at least I'm alive when you consider what could have happened two weeks ago.  I know I should be happy that I have been given a second chance.  Deep down, I am. Perhaps I shouldn't write late night posts when I'm feeling tired but maybe that's the time when you feel you can express your feelings.

Steve

Edited by member 08 Dec 2014 at 08:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 09:03

Hi,

Not what I wanted.  Just went to empty my bowels and have just had a fairly significant blood loss similar to the one I had when I had my heart attack. 

Going to have to check this out.

Steve

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 09:49

Hi Steve just read your last post as I sit here with time on my hands going through why what if like you ,OH is out feeding the hens pony all the jobs I did , cant have the dogs with me to big may hurt wounds youngest one first show next Sunday but I will not be going, but one of our fellow exhibitors who was not going is going to take them how kind people are when aware of the situation .So I am pondering what to do and have decided to take a clock to bits clean it and put it back together and see if it will work ( old grandfather clock) just trying to decide how to tell her that I need the worktop for a bit ,I am rambling a bit know so will go take care and hope things improve for you . Andy

Sorry you have had further problems and hope all is well at check up

Edited by member 08 Dec 2014 at 09:51  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 11:39

Hi,

Have spoken to my cardiac rehab nurse about my bleeding and she advised me to get checked by my GP today.   My hospital discharge letter states that I should seek medical care if I have any further rectal bleeding so I think this is the best course of action.

Have booked to see my GP this afternoon.

Hope this doesn't affect my chances of having the angioplasty, my consultant told me if I had any significant bleeding he may have to do a bypass op instead.  Not what I want as the recovery time would be much longer.  Might not be able to work until the middle to late February.  I'd probably lose the house by that time.  Not what I need to keep the stress levels down.

Steve

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 13:00

Another set back when things were looking better. Hope this is just a blip and will not affect the intended plan. Keep strong.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 13:09

Dear Steve

You are going through a really bad patch, things will get better.

Can you speak to your bank about the mortgage to see if they can help you through? Best to tackle these things early than leave it...and worry.

There must be some help that you can get under these circumstances, perhaps others will comment?

I am sorry this is rushed, my little one has severe chicken pox and my OH having had steroids as part of his treatment for the PCa has to avoid people with it!!!

Let us know how you get on at the GP, I am reading your posts and thinking about you...even if I do not have chance to answer at the moment.

Alison x

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 13:31

Hi Steve

Sorry to hear about your further bleeding.

As you may know, RT can cause proctitis in the area of treatment and for some men this leads to rectal bleeding. I cannot recall anyone saying that they had a bleed as heavy as you have described. Also, as George has already said, I think it is very unusual to have such a heavy bleed so soon after your RT ended.

Your next heart appointment is in a few weeks and your heart consultant plans to insert the second stent in the New Year, provided you have no further problems with rectal bleeding. However, I have not seen any mention in your postings about your Urologist having been involved with your bleeding episode. Do you know if your heart consultant has spoken to your Urologist about finding out what caused such heavy bleeding so soon after RT? Have you spoken to your Urologist?

In view of your heavy bleeding, and the recent bleed, if I were you I would contact your Urologist now, even though you have an appointment with your GP, and ask for a sigmoidoscopy procedure - a camera up the rear end – to be arranged asap to find out exactly what is going on down there. Perhaps, your Urologist may wish speak to your heart consultant about this option. Sometimes a colonoscopy is arranged in these circumstances instead of a sigmoidoscopy.

When rectal bleeding is not too severe it can sort itself out without the need for a sigmoidoscopy. However, sometimes the area of proctitis may need to be cauterised to stop further bleeding. Clearly, only your Urologist can say whether or not a sigmoidoscopy is appropriate for you but I think it is now worth putting that question to your Uro. If cauterisation is necessary this may, and I emphasise may, go some way to stabilise the bleeding to make sure your heart consultant can go ahead with the second stent in the New Year.

I would say that if you did not have the heart condition the extent of your bleeding would probably justify having a sigmoidoscopy to find out what is going on.

You will see from my profile that our numbers at diagnosis, and our subsequent early treatment, are much the same. When your heart problem is sorted out let us hope that you have a very long future ahead of you!

This is a bit rushed but I hope it is helpful for you.

All the best.

Alan

Edited by member 08 Dec 2014 at 13:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 15:25

Steve

Hope you are treated to get this sorted asap.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 21:59

Hi,

Went to see my GP about this morning's bleeding incident.  Half an hour before going to the surgery, I tried to empty my bowels and had no problem, no blood at all. 

When I went in to see my Dr, I showed him a picture of the blood I'd had on the toilet tissue (I know that seems a bit odd that I should take a pic of it but I was told that it was really useful for the medics to see what type of bleeding I'd had) and he said it was all fresh blood.  He did an internal examination and determined that I may have damage to my rectum at the six o'clock position (the side closest to my spine).  He said that my prostate still seemed to be quite swollen and generally the rectum seemed inflamed. 

Anyway, he decided he would prescribe me some suppositories which would reduce the inflammation and give the damaged area chance to heal.  He was very careful about giving me anything that would interfere with the blood thinning drugs I was taking for my heart condition.

My ten minute appointment turned into an half hour one because he then sat down to answer my questions about aspects about my heart attack which I didn't quite understand.  He's a fantastic doctor, he's always got time for you and he's been such a tremendous help during my cancer treatment.  Unfortunately, he retires in February and I will be really sorry to see him go.  Whenever I want to see him, I can usually ring up and he will always slot me in his list somewhere.  I can't remember anytime when he's not seen me.

Anyway, he hopes that I won't have too many more bleeding issues so that I can have my angioplasty as planned.  I want to avoid the bypass op if I can possibly can.  Fingers crossed I will, I think I deserve a break.

Steve 

User
Posted 08 Dec 2014 at 23:06

You definitely deserve a break Steve....fingers and toes crossed here mate

Bri

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 06:32

Those types of doctor are becoming an endangered species. Hope the problem calms down now ready for Christmas you certainly deserve a break from it all.

John

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 09:03

Hi Steve,

What a time you have been having of things. Only recently getting back here so missed the issues in real time, but glad that you are getting the treatment you needed and that it is working.

You mentioned the feeling of letting people down by not getting treatment or diagnosis sooner, no point worrying about that now. It is gone and can not be changed. What you CAN DO NOW is to heed the nurses and doctors and when they tell you only 5 minutes exercise or 10 minutes exercise, or rest up, and take 5 or 10 minutes exercise or rest up. You have had excellent service from the NHS, and your GP in particular, long may that continue.

Keep posting updates.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 09:34

Hello Steve,
Glad you got to see your very efficient and caring doctor. As Dave says, you can't undo the past
(if only eh?) but you can learn from it so, frustrating as the resting up is, use it to let your body heal.

As far as financial health is concerned have you thought to contact the MacMillan people.

I'm not suggesting they will help financially, although that's an option in some cases, but they may have the financial savvy, or know somebody who has, to help you plan your future. You know, point you in the right direction at the bank for the mortgage, tell you how to word the application style of thing is what I mean.

Anyway, chin up young man.

There are people who care. We are all here to listen

PS. I know what you mean about losing a fantastic doctor. I had mine for over 25 years, and his father before him (who wasn't a patch on his son). Mine took early retirement to look after his very sick wife and boy do I miss him.
Everyone of his patients always went over their allotted 10 minutes because he took the time to listen and to explain, but I never ever heard anyone moan about it because he did the same for you. Nightmare for the receptionists though!

They don't seem to make them like that anymore.

Best Wishes

Sandra

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 18:23

Hi,

Spent the day in "benefit form" Hell!  I've never claimed for anything before, I didn't realise it would be so complicated. 

I'm surprised they didn't want to know how often I had sex each week, at least that would have easy to answer!http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

I suppose it will be worth it in the end.

(At least I had no more bleeding today)

Steve

User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 19:19
Hang in there Steve,
User
Posted 09 Dec 2014 at 20:08

You are just doing what you have to do!

You have paid enough taxes, so now your turn to get something back.

Keep at it.

Alison

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 01:08

Hi,

Just went to empty my bowels and I'm bleeding again.

I'll see how things go in the morning.

I'm tired and fed up.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 02:19

Hi Steve,

I guess you may not be sleeping and be worried. I am in HK so it is morning here and caught your latest episode. You will need to go back to the doctors but I guess it does fit with his diagnosis that there is inflammation and swelling and it may take time to heal.

Hang in there mate, try and breath easy remember you and a heart attack so keeping calm is important.

We are all with you.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2014 at 08:25

Did you take a picture of the blood, think you did this before? Is the colour the same as before?

See the GP and let them see what you are dealing with.

And keep resting. Don't overdo things.

Dave