Today is the First Day of the Rest of my Life

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 19:09
You're right Dave.

Steve
User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 20:16

I agree Dave.

After all that you have been through Steve, you can cope with this lot now!

Best wishes

Alison x

User
Posted 19 Apr 2015 at 23:23

And how can you falter when you have all of us wiling you on?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 17:03
You're right, Alison, Lyn and Dave.

I've just got to keep at it. I just feel as if I'm trying to climb a mountain and not getting very far. I have no energy or motivation at the moment. I feel whatever I do, I'll just end up in the same mess.

Steve.

Edited by member 21 Apr 2015 at 03:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Apr 2015 at 20:25
Steve
That Mountain you are looking at is a hill no not even a hill a bump. It looks like a mountain to you because of the scale of the battle you are fighting and because you are looking at the top and you want to get there yesterday. That is because you are used to getting results quickly, moving quickly and thinking quickly. Well as of a while ago you have to think differently. Look at the bottom of the mountain and try to see just a bump. You stepped up onto the bump when you went back to work. Now you are resting and taking time to reflect on what an achievement that was. Tomorrow or the next day or next week you will move up a bit more for any reason you like ,another job done, a sunny day, finding a fiver stuffed down the back of the sofa ...anything positive no matter how small it may seem to you.
Remember what your priorities were when you were facing decisions about your PCa, Living first and foremost. You have come such a long way and depsite everything you are getting better every day. So every day when you open your eyes for the first time remember your primary goal LIVING then go out there and make yourself proud.

xx
Mo
User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 21:24

Hi,

My first NHS "Talking Therapies" session takes place tomorrow.  I really hope this helps.  I'm tired of feeling like this.

Steve

User
Posted 28 Apr 2015 at 22:11
Good luck & best wishes for tomorrow Steve

Arthur
User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 18:48

Hope it went well today Steve and that you got something from it. Best Wishes Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 20:33
Hope you had a better day, you are achieving so much on the big step of starting work again. Keep it going. Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 03:16

Hi ,

The downside of working again.  Photo processing until 3am, I'll be awake again at 7am to continue processing again to meet a deadline in the morning.

Steve

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 12:06
You've never done anything by halves since you've been posting have you Steve!

Arthur
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 15:33

Wow, sometimes a bit of good news suddenly comes out of the blue.

I've just heard that we're due to become grandparents again in November, this time it's my son and his wife who are expecting their first child.

Just what I needed. I'm so proud.  I could well celebrate this evening with a few drinks.

(By the way, if anyone knows me on facebook, please don't post anything on there as my son doesn't want the news on there until he's had chance to tell relatives).

Steve

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 15:35

Congratulations, Steve. Let's hope this is the beginning of the turn around you need!

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 16:05

Congratulations to all the family on the good news Steve.

Get the camera ready!

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 16:54
Great news something look forward to and be positive about- congratulations!
Arthur
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 17:52
Steve
Many congratulations now you have something major to look forward to.
That mountain is not so big after all is it.?
Xx
Mo
User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 18:47

Congratulations Steve,
A happy day when least expected, well done!

Kevin

User
Posted 30 Apr 2015 at 18:48

Congrats Steve

Bri

User
Posted 01 May 2015 at 23:40

Hi,

Thanks for your messages.  It's the best news for a while.

Facing a really busy weekend (work) and I'm already exhausted before I start.

Steve

User
Posted 02 May 2015 at 08:24

Congratulations Steve these grandbabies are coming thick and fast .  That will keep you busy.http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 02 May 2015 at 08:53

Hi Steve. I add my congrats on your expected grand baby. Nothing like a little bubba to lift our spirits . Cheers Georgina

User
Posted 02 May 2015 at 18:27

Hi,

Thanks for the messages.

My day, which was already busy, became really busy with the royal birth taking place. 

Spent most of day in Bucklebury (Kate's home village), mainly in the pub where Kate and William used to go for a drink.  Had to try and avoid the camera crews, so I didn't end up being on TV, leaning against the bar when I was suppose to be busy working. 

Still have several jobs to do this evening. Feeling pretty tired.

Steve

User
Posted 02 May 2015 at 21:13
Congratulations Steve. Wishing you and all your family the very best.
User
Posted 03 May 2015 at 10:58

One good snap is all it takes Steve. Are you a "pap" now then?

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 21:20

Hi,

Not much chance of being a "pap" in Bucklebury on Saturday, Dave, no one of interest there.

Had an interesting chat with a couple of regulars in Kate and Will's pub.  One guy spotted my PCUK Men United Badge and asked me if I'd been effected by PCa.  Turns out he had it too and had brachytherapy last September.  He's suffering the same problems as me (bowel urgency etc) so I don't feel so bad now, feeling that I should be coping with things better than I am.

The guy standing next to us chipped in when I mentioned the complication of my heart attack in November.  He mentioned he had a heart attack around about the same time, but unfortunately he was driving on the M1 at the time and crashed his car.  Fortunately, he was treated fairly quickly and ended up having the same op as I had, so it was interesting to hear how he was doing.

Had a really busy day yesterday (Sunday) too, working for a local council, first thing, followed by a shift for another newspaper.  Highlight of the day was a beer festival, even if I couldn't really join in.  Some really nice people there.  They were probably lucky that PCUK community members weren't there, otherwise they would have been running short of beer.  

Today has been photo processing on my computer and captioning all day, just seems to be never ending.  I'm so tired.

I still have some photos to sort out from another job I did.  I would just rather go to sleep.

Steve 

User
Posted 04 May 2015 at 23:44

Hi Steve,

Just like to say I am glad you are getting work and are able to undertake it which was a concern for you ,particularly from a financial aspect. Of course it's always nice to have sufficient to meet needs plus something for a rainy day. However, don't endanger your health by overdoing it!

Barry
User
Posted 05 May 2015 at 00:19

Hi Barry,

Sometimes, I feel I do not have the choice.  I wish I did. 

Steve

Edited by member 05 May 2015 at 00:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 14:34

Hi,

Just had my second session of "Talking Therapies".  I think it will help.  It's giving me chance to get a few things off my chest.  Only problem is the sessions are only 30 or so minutes long which means as soon as you really get into discussing things, the session comes to an end.  I should be grateful though, at least it's free, organised by the NHS. 

Just off now to be interviewed about my feelings about a new survey form that will be sent to 70,000 men who have been diagnosed with PCa in the last three years.  The point of the survey is to discover men's thoughts on their treatment experience.  I'm really pleased to be able to help as it makes me feel as if I doing something useful, even though I'm only one of a group of people who are helping with the form's question list. 

That's what I need, to do something to help in the fight against PCa.  It makes me feel so much better and not so useless as I sometimes feel.

Steve

Edited by member 06 May 2015 at 14:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 16:55
Great to feel useful Steve and don't forget all the good stuff you post here supporting others too, that Is most useful when newbies come along, which we all were once. I will never forget the first few posts from you, Si, Bri and " the ladies" it did help me to get through the first few weeks. Stay strong, Kev

Edited by member 07 May 2015 at 06:52  | Reason: Not specified

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 06 May 2015 at 22:43
I agree with Irun, you can be a real support to others on here Steve with your experiences so far.

Thats what we are all here for, to help each other.

Alison

User
Posted 08 May 2015 at 01:18
Hi,

Probably not the best decision I've ever made but spending the night at Pinewood Studios photographing the election count for the Beaconsfield constituency. I'm going to be shattered tomorrow as I'm working tomorrow too. This is not good for my health.

Wake me up someone.

Steve
User
Posted 08 May 2015 at 06:34
Hi,

6.30am Still no result yet, this is getting beyond a joke. Been awake for nearly 24 hours now, mostly working. I need my bed. I've still got to drive 30 miles home once they announce the results.

Steve
User
Posted 08 May 2015 at 08:09
Hi,

Home at last. Going to have a few hours sleep before my next job.

Steve
User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 14:09

Hi,

One year ago today, I went to my GP (at the insistence of my very sensible wife) to check out my peeing problems. 

A PSA test was carried out at my local hospital the following day, resulting in a figure of 48.85 and my life changed forever.....

Steve

Edited by member 12 May 2015 at 15:01  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 19:54
But , you are a year on and starting to get stronger. Yes you have had had horrible things to deal with but for now you are on an upward trend.

I am looking forward to hearing about a future half marathon ( when you are ready!!!!)

Stay strong Steve.

Kev

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 21:35

Hi Kev,

Thanks, very true. 

Began a twelve week MacMillan Wellbeing Course this morning.  Basically an exercise course that I was referred to while I was in hospital in March.  Pretty much like the Cardiac Rehab Course I attended just after my angioplasty in January but the MacMillan nurses thought it could only help me, especially as I've felt pretty low recently.  Exercise helps with fatigue and makes me feel happier.

Dared to do a little bit of jogging this afternoon.  Less than a mile.  The first since before my radiotherapy in October (and the heart attack in November).  I felt awful, I hope it's just the effect of the medication and that I feel very tired at the moment.  If this is my new normal, as my consultant says, I'm determined to get beyond this stage. 

I think the half marathon will have to wait for a little while though. 

Steve

Edited by member 12 May 2015 at 21:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 May 2015 at 22:39

Hi Steve
Good for you with starting the jogging and exercises and even thinking about a half marathon.

I find that setting an objective however far ahead is always motivational, it probably is spin off from my ex work when I had to complete 5 year and 1 year plans.

I'm sure you'll get there, your health sounds to be improving and so now to your physical strength and stamina.

Paul

User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 08:32

Steve

Brilliant that your exercising. The first steps can be the hardest. Hope you're able to keep it up and take it further.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 13 May 2015 at 13:40

good on you steve for getting out their, sometimes even for people without what you are going through find it tough to get out the door with running shoes on

if I can help with any advise please let me know, I have my own little running group aimed at folk who want to start getting into running, am a UKA qualified coach, we always start off with a jog then a walk and repeat until eventually its jogging all the time

never feel embarressed about what you are doing I will support you all the way

just remember its still only one foot in front of the other but slightly faster

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 20:02

Hi,

My lovely wife happened to read my posts last night and was really upset by what I'd written at times when I was feeling very low.  Sometimes, when you feel this way you often write things you don't really mean because you're hurting and just want to hit out at someone.  She felt it painted her in a very bad light, which wasn't really my intention.

When I woke this morning, I found this list, on my bedside table to remind me of the support she has given me.  Reading this, I entirely agree with everything she said. 

I asked her if I could share what she wrote with you on my thread.  I feel I owe it to her after some of things I wrote.

This is what she wrote:

Am I Guilty ?

It was me who persuaded you to get it checked out.

It was me who sat with you and held your hand through all the tests.

It was me who fell to pieces when given the bad news, you were strong.

It was me who couldn’t sleep and cried all night long.

It was me who struggled watching you go through the treatment.

It was me who sat with you in the park and talked.

It was me who cried in Resus during your heart attack and told you “I love you”.

It was me who was at your bedside in hospital, never leaving you until I was made to.

It was me who was told by the doctor “Nice to see such devotion”.

It was me who tried so hard to get things right.

It was me who failed because of your depression.

It was me who was shocked by your secret and lies.

It was me who was hurt by the things you discuss with your community friends.

It was me who was criticised by people I don’t even know.

It was me who was left heartbroken after 35 years.

It is me who is wondering if I should leave.

It is me who is guilty of all of the above.

I can only say "I'm Sorry" for the hurt I caused and say how much I love her.

Steve

Edited by member 14 May 2015 at 20:12  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 May 2015 at 23:56

Steve

It is clear that you have been suffering from depression, due to what has happened to you. Maybe your wife has to?

I don't recall you criticising your wife at all, infact the contrary. Everybody deals with this disease in different ways as we are all affected differently.

You have both had a lot to deal with.

The written word can be taken out of context and I am sure that she will understand that this forum is somewhere that you can chat, share your feelings with others who are in the same boat.

Maybe from now on, share the posts so that she does not feel excluded? Or perhaps she could join us too (this or another forum - I think there is one on facebook for wives?).

I hope that you are both okay. You obviously love each other so can get through this - it is just another symptom of this damn disease.

Alison

Edited by member 14 May 2015 at 23:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 07:43
Hi Steve.
In very bad times when we are at our most vunerable we hit out at those closest to us. Unfortunately they are the ones we love the most. I dont know if it's some warped feeling that if they get angry with us they will find it easier if it all ends. That is not true, obviously it would make it much worse as I have witnessed but at times of despair we are not very rational. I have followed your post all the way through and like many have gained from the support you have given to me and others. I like others on this forum will have read the posts where you were not kind to your wife but this was in your darkest hours and I did not believe it was truly meant. I am sure that your wife will come to understand why these things were said at the time they were said and forgive you. She has been through an awful lot as well possibly with no one to turn to for help. Keep positive and now you are starting a fitness drive a new hobby could be added, I believe brick kaying is good for building bridges.
keep well and keep posting.

my very best wishes
John
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 08:32
Steve

I'm very sad to hear that you have unintentionally upset you wife. My Steve had terrible depression after his heart attack, said dreadful things that could never be taken back and upset family and friends. I had to keep telling myself that it wasn't "my Steve" saying those things that it was "ill Steve". It wasn't easy and it almost came to make or break for us, but I wasn't about to let 27 years together count for nothing.

Steve still has difficulty talking to me about PCa, and any anything that involves emotions generally. This is why I joined this forum, my Steve never will - I can tell him what's been said and that's ok but that's it.

Please tell your wife that unfortunately she's not on her own with her thoughts, it happens a lot. I fought hard to get us back to pre depression mode but it was certainly worth it and I'd definitely do it again without a second thought.

Thinking of you both, with all best wishes

Maureen
"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 19:15

Hi,

Important week.

Did my second Macmillan Wellbeing Exercise session today, tomorrow is my third "Talking Therapies" session and on Thursday, a trip to the hospital for my PSA test followed by an Stress Echocardiogram (to check out my heart problem).

A week today, I see my oncologist for the first time for six months where she will give me the PSA results and tell me everything is fine, hopefully.  When I saw her for my last check up six months ago, she told me I was fine and twelve hours later I had my heart attack.  Hope it's different this time.

Starting to feel nervous about my PSA test.  Hope it's gone down.

Things are still a bit difficult.

Steve 

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 20:35

Hi,

Just depressed myself now.

I've just weighed myself and the result was I'm back up to thirteen and a half stone, a gain of a quarter of a stone in a week.  This is following a week where I have been exercising everyday, cycling, walking and jogging.  Yesterday, for work reasons, I had to walk 5 miles in the morning and in the afternoon cycled 10 miles.  This morning, I walked about 3 miles and then had my exercise session. 

I haven't been aware that I've been eating more than normal recently.  Perhaps I've eaten some of the wrong things, maybe to cheer myself up.  Certainly I don't feel happier now, I'm paying the price.

Before my heart attack (November), I weighed twelve stone and my weight was falling.

I'm going to have to work harder at it.

Steve

User
Posted 19 May 2015 at 23:30
Hi Steve,

That sounds like real progress to me, as you probably know exercise is good for the mind as well as the body, something to do with endorphins I think. I must admit when I was a member of a running club there were several people with various running related injuries, friends who didn't run were ok!

Weight gain isn't always a bad thing, I'd be concerned more about weight loss.

Regarding your appointment with the oncologist look at it as a positive that she only wants to see you every 6 months, I see my oncologist every 6 months as well and am hoping the time between appointments will increase but I'm not sure that it will but 6 months isn't too bad

Although I have met people like you Steve only on this site I really feel that I know them personally because of their honesty and openness In the way they share their issues, it's such a help a encouragement to many

Take care of yourself and keep updating us with your progress

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 00:15

Steve

Is it possible you're turning fat to muscle, and hence the weight gain? Enjoy exercise for the sake of it. Setting yourself weight loss targets might be putting too much pressure on yourself.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 11:05

Steve,

there is no good working harder at the wrong thing. It will be a waste of time and perhaps become even more demoralising?

You hinted that you might be eating the wrong thing, so that may be where your first step needs to be, moving forward start to eat well and healthily.

I doubt that your weight increase will be due to muscle growth after only a week or so? and you would need some serious effort to start "replacing" fat tissue with muscle tissue, you do not "turn fat into muscle". You could start to measure your measurements as well as that will demonstrate if you are putting on volume and on what ratio to weight increase.

Keep a food diary, you might be surprised at how much you are actually tucking away through the day.

good luck

dave

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 20 May 2015 at 14:23
Steve
For what it is worth SNAP ... I have been really happy with my progress in terms of fitness I love going to the gym and any form of exercise makes me feel good. I lost quite a bit of weight to start with but since then I have hit a plateau. So now I am really focusing on what I eat, when I eat, how much I eat and more critically for me what I drink.
I eat when I am hungry and always something after the gym. I eat off a smaller plate and put less on it than usual if I feel contented and there is still food left I stop eating. I have had to break a lifetime taboo of not wasting stuff but I do keep leftovers and try to use them later.

My biggest downfall is wine so I try not to have it when I am at home alone.

As we get older it seems to get harder also you have had a fairly long break from serious exercise so weight gain was inevitable.

Follow Dave's advice and keep a food log.
Don't go inventing another crisis to beat yourself up over you don't need one.

See you soon
Xx
Mo
User
Posted 21 May 2015 at 13:28
Hi,

Feel a bit stupid, forget to stop cycling before having my PSA test today. Hope it doesn't affect my results.

Steve