I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Not every story is bad

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 16:27

Hi all my name is Steve I'm 57 and was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in September 2014. I am a fit slimish active guy and a keen cyclist

It was initially given as a T2 Gleason 7 but regraded to a T3 possible T3a and Gleason 9 (4+5), so we had to get on with it sharpish !!

I went through consultations with Radiotherapy and Surgery. I did not like the long drawn out treatment of radio beam therapy, plus the ongoing hormone treatment. There were aspects of the Radical surgery that concerned me(mainly incontinence).After reasurance from my surgeon at the Royal Hallamshire that he was getting excelent results using the Da Vinci robotic system I opted for that proceedure.

The plan was for prostate remaval with nerve sparing surgery on my left side and lymph node removal.

I had the surgery on November 13th 2014 was discharged on 15th with catherter fitted(much fun !!). Returned on the 21st to have catherter removed.

NOW THE BITS TO TAKE HEART FROM.

I was dry (overnight) from the first day of catherter removal. only used level two tenna( no doubt other products are available !! during the day and at most changed twice. that was in the first week. Pelvic floor exercise done frequently, by 3rd week I was down on level 1 , mainly for security. 

On the 15th of December I rode my bicycle for 10 miles( thats 4 week after surgery) It was tender but not painful. The next day I felt the same as anyother morning post op.I left it couple of days and then did 18 miles, 22 miles, 28 miles, 32 miles. Each with a break of either a day or two or three weather depandant. On the 5th of January 2015 I did 100km ride.

At my 7 week check up, the tumour was large at 10mm but fully contained. My psa is 0.01, pathology regraded the prostate to a T2 and gleason 4+3  and I am fully continent(even when riding)

I have had stirrings ( a couple) in the bedroom dept and this was prior to any ED medication.

The main point of contributing is I am not superman and I know we are all different in our outlook, but feel more guys need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes i was scared that my life would be completely changed with treatments and after effects but I have always pushed to stay positive and that this can be beaten. I did not ask it to join in my life so I'd be damned if it was going to take it away from me.

I have entered a cancer support ride in September from Leeds to Manchester and back to Leeds, where I will be proudly riding as a cancer survivor.

I hope some of this gives you some comfort that not all the nightmares come true.

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 16:27

Hi all my name is Steve I'm 57 and was diagnosed with Prostate cancer in September 2014. I am a fit slimish active guy and a keen cyclist

It was initially given as a T2 Gleason 7 but regraded to a T3 possible T3a and Gleason 9 (4+5), so we had to get on with it sharpish !!

I went through consultations with Radiotherapy and Surgery. I did not like the long drawn out treatment of radio beam therapy, plus the ongoing hormone treatment. There were aspects of the Radical surgery that concerned me(mainly incontinence).After reasurance from my surgeon at the Royal Hallamshire that he was getting excelent results using the Da Vinci robotic system I opted for that proceedure.

The plan was for prostate remaval with nerve sparing surgery on my left side and lymph node removal.

I had the surgery on November 13th 2014 was discharged on 15th with catherter fitted(much fun !!). Returned on the 21st to have catherter removed.

NOW THE BITS TO TAKE HEART FROM.

I was dry (overnight) from the first day of catherter removal. only used level two tenna( no doubt other products are available !! during the day and at most changed twice. that was in the first week. Pelvic floor exercise done frequently, by 3rd week I was down on level 1 , mainly for security. 

On the 15th of December I rode my bicycle for 10 miles( thats 4 week after surgery) It was tender but not painful. The next day I felt the same as anyother morning post op.I left it couple of days and then did 18 miles, 22 miles, 28 miles, 32 miles. Each with a break of either a day or two or three weather depandant. On the 5th of January 2015 I did 100km ride.

At my 7 week check up, the tumour was large at 10mm but fully contained. My psa is 0.01, pathology regraded the prostate to a T2 and gleason 4+3  and I am fully continent(even when riding)

I have had stirrings ( a couple) in the bedroom dept and this was prior to any ED medication.

The main point of contributing is I am not superman and I know we are all different in our outlook, but feel more guys need to know there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes i was scared that my life would be completely changed with treatments and after effects but I have always pushed to stay positive and that this can be beaten. I did not ask it to join in my life so I'd be damned if it was going to take it away from me.

I have entered a cancer support ride in September from Leeds to Manchester and back to Leeds, where I will be proudly riding as a cancer survivor.

I hope some of this gives you some comfort that not all the nightmares come true.

User
Posted 23 Jan 2015 at 15:45

I am under MR Y BrianIssac at the Hallamshire

Before I even looked at cycling after the operation LynEyre I contacted my surgeon . He said it was ok to try as long as it caused no pain . At no point before the operation did he advise me NOT to cycle for 3-6 months. So I tried and things seem ok. I do listen to my body and if it would have been painful or caused after effects I would have abated till a later date. I have seen post's that state not to which is why I consulted mine direct.

It has not effected sex life recovery as the reactions I am getting at 8 weeks on( wont go into detail http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) is far better than they expected at this early stage. Many men being 6 months plus before anything meaningful arises.

We are all different and will recover differently. My post was to give hope that returning to a new normal life is possible

Steve

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 19:12

Hhhhmm - have a chance of normal sex life or go out for a bike ride? I know which I would choose - fortunately for me, John felt the same.

Everyone has to make choices - which treatment, which path, what diet, how much to change their life style, what will give the best chance of recovery, which things to give up or cling on to. Whether to allow impatience to creep in or hold off to give the best chance of reducing side effects. We have had members who never recovered EF but didn't follow the advice, or never asked for an ED referral. Members who rushed back to work early only to complain about developing a hernia later. Or were in the pub a few days later, on the golf course or whatever and then are shocked that their incontinence lingers. It's major surgery guys, just because a few superheroes think it's a good idea doesn't mean it is.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 20:07

Well done Steve. Always good to hear good news story. We're you under Mr P at Hallamshire.

Bri

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 20:52

Just for the benefit of others who read this and maybe don't realise, most surgeons would advise not to ride a bicycle for 3 - 6 months post-op as it may prevent the nerve bundles from repairing and thus any recovery from ED is more difficult. John was desperate to get back on his bike but Mr P asked him to wait the full 6 months and as many of you know, that seems to have worked. Anyone wanting to ride but concerned about prostate health can purchase a special prostate-friendly saddle from well-known suppliers :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Jan 2015 at 20:55

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your recovery you certainly sound like one of the success stories , you didn't say if you had any MRI or bone scans? 

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 01:36

Hi Steve,

Very encouraging not only for you but others contemplating treatment.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 05:14

Always good to hear good news Steve.

Hope your ride goes well.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 09:54

Fantastic stuff. I'm not a cyclist myself, I ride motorcycles instead, but a little bit like you I rode to Austria and back three months after my op and frankly it only did me good. My incontinence improved considerably and my general fitness level improved too. I think the message is; if you can, and you feel like it, do it.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 10:24

Morning Steve

Thanks for the share, great news and I'm glad that you are back out on the bike.

Lyn, that's the first time I've heard mention of the 6 months thingy relating to us cyclists. I too am back out on my bike, and was six weeks after surgery. My consultant was very keen for me to get back out as it does seem to help with the pelvic/continence issues. As for ED, I guess time will tell.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 10:28
From one Steve to another Steve,

Well done mate. Really pleased to hear of your good news.

All the Best.

Edited by member 22 Jan 2015 at 10:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 19:12

Hhhhmm - have a chance of normal sex life or go out for a bike ride? I know which I would choose - fortunately for me, John felt the same.

Everyone has to make choices - which treatment, which path, what diet, how much to change their life style, what will give the best chance of recovery, which things to give up or cling on to. Whether to allow impatience to creep in or hold off to give the best chance of reducing side effects. We have had members who never recovered EF but didn't follow the advice, or never asked for an ED referral. Members who rushed back to work early only to complain about developing a hernia later. Or were in the pub a few days later, on the golf course or whatever and then are shocked that their incontinence lingers. It's major surgery guys, just because a few superheroes think it's a good idea doesn't mean it is.

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 20:44

How far did you cycle Lyn?

:-)

Dave

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 21:14

👏

User
Posted 22 Jan 2015 at 22:21

Lyn

I never considered my golf held back my recovery from incontinence. 9 months on from my RP, I am delighted to be comfortably using one pad per day. I waited 6 weeks post op before playing, and recovery has been excellent in my eyes. Mentally, it helped my recovery too, as being inactive at home would have driven me mad.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2015 at 01:13

I didn't have you in mind sf2 although you are still using pads 9 months on and will never know ... :-)

User
Posted 23 Jan 2015 at 11:09

I have always tried to have a positive approach since diagnosis and treatment. I am thrilled to have rid myself of the PCa, (I was told the cancer was contained within the prostate, but realise I can't take anything for granted), and be getting on with my life. I count my lucky stars i was diagnosed early and can hopefully look forward to lots of special events that I may have missed.

Reading the posts of men and partners affected by advanced PCa is heartbreaking at times

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 23 Jan 2015 at 15:45

I am under MR Y BrianIssac at the Hallamshire

Before I even looked at cycling after the operation LynEyre I contacted my surgeon . He said it was ok to try as long as it caused no pain . At no point before the operation did he advise me NOT to cycle for 3-6 months. So I tried and things seem ok. I do listen to my body and if it would have been painful or caused after effects I would have abated till a later date. I have seen post's that state not to which is why I consulted mine direct.

It has not effected sex life recovery as the reactions I am getting at 8 weeks on( wont go into detail http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif) is far better than they expected at this early stage. Many men being 6 months plus before anything meaningful arises.

We are all different and will recover differently. My post was to give hope that returning to a new normal life is possible

Steve