I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Tamoxifen and survival

User
Posted 22 January 2015 20:57:47(UTC)

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it is news too good to miss posting, IMHO.

I am currently on a classroom based instructional course and had occasion to have a word with the tutor  about my toilet needs for a pending exam.  He mentioned that he too had need of a toilet regularly, and had had an issue with PCa.  He has been on Tamoxifen for about 10 years and is doing well and all clear thus far.

So, anyone on Tamoxifen, wow, potentially excellent news for you all.

ATB

Dave

User
Posted 23 January 2015 09:32:57(UTC)
Dave
it is my understanding that Tamoxifen is used extensively to treat breast cancer in both Women and Men, just recently research is showing that it may even be used as a preventative drug for those at highest risk of developing breast cancer. Its use for Men with Prostate Cancer is not a primary line of treatment but as a secondary to prevent or reduce the side effects many men get on HT of breast tenderness and swelling. However the way it works is the thing that has led to the development of drugs like Abiraterone and Enzalutamide.

The theory of this was covered in the course I just did with future learn at Bath University "Inside cancer how Genes influence Cancer development"

There are many more drugs in the pipeline that "Target" a specific genetic process. Further research is also being done to look at the genetic map of individual cancer sufferers and from that literally producing bespoke treatments. In some cases it has been discovered that drugs used to treat completely unrelated cancers have fantastic results on patients if the genetic mapping leads the physician down that route. The exciting thing IMHO for this is that it will remove the need for treatment overkill and reduce unnecessary side effects etc.
I am completely in awe of the research scientists and physicians who dedicate their lives to finding cures and treatments for "dread"diseases.

Hope your exam goes well, see you soon
xx
Mandy
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 23 January 2015 14:28:34(UTC)

This is nothing to do with new drugs but I just wanted to say Mick must be so proud of you Mandy.

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Thanked 1 time
User
Posted 23 January 2015 17:56:01(UTC)
Aww Julie that was quite an emotional statement
have your puppies just arrived? bless
xx
Mandy Mo
User
Posted 25 January 2015 10:11:45(UTC)
John is on Tamaoxifen due to the rather large Moobs he has developed whilst of Stillbestrill. I'd love to think it had other, helpful properties too.

Best regards
Allisom

©2018 Prostate Cancer UK