I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Enzalutamide side effects

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 21:27

I'm now into my seventh week on Enzo. Around the end of week 4 I started to suffer from constipation. I checked the leaflet that came with the Enzo and there is no mention of this being a side effect of Enzo. I did some internet searches and found the US version of the same leaflet produced by the manufacturer. This said constipation was a side effect of Enzo. I also found other US studies that indicated 1 person in 4 experienced constipation as a result of taking Enzo. So, there's a discrepancy between UK published side effects of Enzo and US published side effects.

Now I know us Brits sometimes think our cousins are full of **** but I think that's taking possible explanations a little too far. ;-)

It would be very helpful to me prior to talking to my Onco to know whether others have experienced the same problems as me. Therefore, if you are currently taking Enzo or have previously taken Enzo I would be grateful if you could say whether or not you suffered from constipation shortly after commencing treatment.

There may be other side effects of Enzo that others have experienced where they would like to know if others have/have not suffered the same. Please feel free to add any such questions to this thread.

Many thanks in advance for your replies.

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 22:32

Nope, no changes with bowels. Just increased fatigue as expected.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Couple of things to consider

Are you also taking any regular pain medications as these often cause constipation.?

US information tends to cover every possible side effect reported or even imagined, as they are terrified of any litigation.In UK I think I am correct in saying that drug companies only have to mention side effects actually reported and these are categorised into ones that need urgent medical intervention, very common more than one in ten affected, common up to one in 10 and rare or non estimateable.

One other thing to be wary of is that constipation and inability to clear your bowel are things that need to be assessed as they can be a sign of a further problem. I would suggest ringing your Oncologist or Clinical Nurse speciaiist if you have one as they should be able to suggest the most appropriate relief for you.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 20:40

Hi

I've been taking enzalutamide for several months and haven't been constipated, just fatigue.

Hope you get it sorted.

All the best
Martin

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 09:27

Same here, my OH does not suffer from constipation but has the fatigue and muscle weakness etc. He eats loads of fruit and veg though.

Glen

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 21:57

Hi,
I have been on enzalutamide for three months. Fatigue yes, but no constipation. Hope things are resolving.

Davey

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 22:19

Have you posted this query on other sites? The more people know about a potential, not mentioned side effect the better.

dave

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 22:32

Nope, no changes with bowels. Just increased fatigue as expected.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 16:52

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Have you posted this query on other sites? The more people know about a potential, not mentioned side effect the better.

dave

I haven't, but that's only because I don't know of any other sites I could post this on.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 17:43

Macmillan is one that springs to mind. Others may know of others?

dave

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 19:21
Couple of things to consider

Are you also taking any regular pain medications as these often cause constipation.?

US information tends to cover every possible side effect reported or even imagined, as they are terrified of any litigation.In UK I think I am correct in saying that drug companies only have to mention side effects actually reported and these are categorised into ones that need urgent medical intervention, very common more than one in ten affected, common up to one in 10 and rare or non estimateable.

One other thing to be wary of is that constipation and inability to clear your bowel are things that need to be assessed as they can be a sign of a further problem. I would suggest ringing your Oncologist or Clinical Nurse speciaiist if you have one as they should be able to suggest the most appropriate relief for you.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 20:14

Mo - Thanks for this. I'm not taking any pain medications. I've talked to my GP about it and he said "keep taking the laxatives until you pick up your next supply of Enzo on Thursday 26 February, then take it up with the nurse in the Oncology department who will check with the Docs to see if they think it's anything to worry about". He also said that as there is no visible blood in the stools and I'm not suffering constipation followed by diarrhoea followed by constipation, that he didn't think it needed immediate referral.

Dave - I don't want to post this as a potential side effect of Enzo if I'm the only one. Hence the straw poll.

Anyway the current count is 1 person taking Enzo who has no bowl troubles. Any more votes?

Edited by member 23 Feb 2015 at 07:33  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Feb 2015 at 20:40

Hi

I've been taking enzalutamide for several months and haven't been constipated, just fatigue.

Hope you get it sorted.

All the best
Martin

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 09:27

Same here, my OH does not suffer from constipation but has the fatigue and muscle weakness etc. He eats loads of fruit and veg though.

Glen

User
Posted 22 Feb 2015 at 21:57

Hi,
I have been on enzalutamide for three months. Fatigue yes, but no constipation. Hope things are resolving.

Davey

User
Posted 26 Feb 2015 at 14:53

I saw my Onco today who confirmed that constipation is a known side effect of Enzalutamide. Therefore, I'm learning to love laxatives.