I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy or not.... - Scans (CT / MRI / Bone scan)

User
Posted 25 Jun 2015 at 07:48
I had a rectal examination following a pas with a 6.1 figure (I'm 59) which the consultant said was clear. He then suggested I had a parametric MRI, and I have read about the advantages of that. The MRI showed a few 3 scores so now it's been suggested I have the biopsy, which the consultant said could be done under general anaesthetic .

So the question for myself is, as I haven't had any symptoms, I would be interested in what on balance I should do, I'm not worried about the biopsy, but do know it can have side effects. Would just having regular pas checks be a valid option? Interested in what others think.

User
Posted 25 Jun 2015 at 12:26

Hi and welcome.

Was it suggested because its felt the G6 could be higher? As my profile shows PSA around the 6 mark. Grade T1c. 2nd biopsy 7 weeks after 1st 4 cores at G8. Monitoring would not have been a valid option for me

Ray

Edited by member 25 Jun 2015 at 12:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2015 at 14:52

Hi Balbs, welcome to the site.

I can say that having a biopsy does not hurt and I certainly did not need a general anashetic. It is usual to be apprehensive but in reality the procedure is quick and simple. A small amount of local anasthetic is used and you are talked through it as it happens, just your dignity is compromised slightly, from the team in the theatre it is seen and undertaken by them day after day and it is part of "normality".
A short time in the recovery room with a cup of tea and a few biscuits leaves you ready for home in no time.

It would be better to have the biopsy than not as, to me, not knowing and wondering would be the worst option.

I hope all goes well with diagnosis.

Regards Chris/Woody

"Life is seen differently upside down, take another viewpoint..!!

User
Posted 25 Jun 2015 at 15:17
I've had 2 TRUS biopsies and also an anaesthetic template biopsy. The TRUS is ok and done with a considerate crew who are understanding of your obvious nervousness. The pain is minimal if the local anaesthetic is given time to work.

My first TRUS came back negative after 10 samples though , even though I have gone on to be positively diagnosed and had a RP.

Good luck

User
Posted 25 Jun 2015 at 22:00
Hi Balbs. From my experience of MRI and biopsys I'd say it sounds like something is showing up on the MRI. THe option to have a biopsy under anaesthetic sounds like template biopsy, which I had. If it is, it is more accurate than TRUS and can access all the prostate, not just the back. If there is something there and you fibd out early you have options. Leave it too long and the options reduce.

Good luck mate with whatever you decide to do.

Keith

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 00:31

Yes, if anaesthetic is being given it is more likely to be the more precise Template biopsy. This is also less likely to result in an infection than the TRUS. I have had both, the TRUS without anaesthetic and the Template with. The latter meant it was rather painful afterwards if I sat in a normal position so I slouched for a week or two. Passing water was not a problem but it did sting for a while. The TRUS I found easier, the only side effect I experienced with this was a minute amount of blood in my urine for less than a week but some also have this with the Template Biopsy. Antibiotics are given with both methods.

I am a little surprised by your reference to a few 3,s shown in the MRI.  I stand to be corrected but if this refers to Gleason score which looks to be the case, I was under the impression that Gleason can only be determined from cores taken in a biopsy (or from removed Prostate sliced for examination after surgery) and you imply prior to the MRI no cancer was found.

There are a number of factors that have to be considered and your consultant is in the best position to advise on this.  If he/she recommends a biopsy you should carefully consider having one.

Edited by member 26 Jun 2015 at 00:51  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 10:14

Barry

I took it as that type of scan showed areas of doubt which being small was given as a guide of 3 but have the biopsy to have a better idea

For general interest the Cancer site gives details of the scan - not attempting to post a link from my mobile :)

Ray

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 15:39

The 3s he is referring to are a different scale i believe, and nothing to do with gleason. There is a grading scale that radiologists use to describe the level of suspiciousness and thus form a view about whether a biopsy is needed. It is used in imaging of different cancers, not just PCa

Edited by member 28 Jun 2015 at 19:02  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 16:10

Again if this posts twice I will attempt to delete

Thanks Lyn. I'm taking more than a helping interest in trying to ascertain if it might be worth asking for me - my gut tells me I might be on that path soon but that could be just sqeeky bum time.

Ray

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 12:39

Thanks for comments everyone... yes, the '3' scores I referred to are a score that the radiologist uses, not a Gleason score. I've also been told that although the MRI is more accurate (and therefore this leads onto the template under general) the aggressiveness (or not) of the cells is really what the biopsy is about - and personally I would rather know than not, so its off for the biop for me!

Balbs

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 13:32

As my PSA rose over time it was uggested that I had a biopsy, so I did. No real problem, in and out within 15 mins. Not painful, the anticpation of it all though made me perspire. As already stated, a bit embarressing for some. For me, could'nt give a t*ss, the nurses do not know me, I will not be mixing with them socially and I bet I was forgotten in 30 seconds! Next one please!

User
Posted 28 Jun 2015 at 13:41

Hi Balbs

Thanks for the info and Good luck with the biopsy

Further research shows it use in recurrent post RT and RP prostate bed.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2014/316272/

Hoping the link copied ok

Ray

Edited by member 28 Jun 2015 at 13:47  | Reason: Not specified