Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A Fresh Start

User
Posted 01 Mar 2016 at 06:46
Steve

I admire your desire to get off the anti depressants but you really should do it with the advice from you GP.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 01 Mar 2016 at 08:41
Thanks for your messages.

After the night I've just had I decided to start the tablets again.

I've had a taste of reality and didn't like it. Hadn't realised how much they were helping me.

Steve
User
Posted 01 Mar 2016 at 13:06

Actually Steve, it's done you a favour then.

You may well be able to come off/cut down on them but you do need supervision with it.

i hope you find a happy medium with them. Perhaps with the Doctor's help you can reduce them a bit and see whether it gives you back some semblance of normality.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Mar 2016 at 23:36

Hi,

Could have had one of my last Zoladex hormone implants late this afternoon (though I have a feeling that I may have a 4 week one to finish up in June).

By the end of June, I will have completed my two years of HT and the plans are for me to end my cancer treatment to see what happens then.  At last, I will find out if the Radical RT I had in Oct/Nov 2014, succeeded in killing off my cancer.  I hope so.  The only problem is that because I was diagnosed with "high risk" cancer, my oncologist reminded me that the cancer may return in future years.  Not really concerned about that until it happens, after all, my heart could finish me off before that happens http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif.

Actually, following my recent cardiac review, my consultant has decided I should have a Perfusion Cardiac MRI Scan because he still feels that things are not right with my heart.   Hopefully it will provide some answers.

Steve 

Edited by member 09 Mar 2016 at 23:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 00:18

My fingers are crossed for you! Hope all goes well

Best wishes

Rosy

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 00:51

Good news - let's hope that the end of the hormones sees your energy levels rising quite quickly - and it will be just in time for the lovely Summer weather too!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 07:09

Hi Steve
Great time to end RT. You should feel so much better and lots of energy. It might even help your heart in ways not expected
Chris

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 07:23

hi steve great tp read you will soon be picking up

regards

nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 07:31
Steve

Good news Steve.
Onwards and upwards ?

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 07:46
Steve

That's good news - things seem to be moving in the right direction PCa wise coming of the HT etc

No doubt they'll continue to monitor your situation as they're doing with me

All the best

Arthur
User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 08:22

Glad it's going in the right direction for you at last Steve.

More energy means you can go back to work doesn't it? That would take dome pressure off you wouldn't it.

Good luck with the Perfusion Cardiac MRI scan. My sister has massive heart problems including a pacemaker now and last week some stents put in her veins.

She's already sounding much better than she has recently. More energy and more interest in doing things.

Once they sort out your heart you'll be flying on winged feet !!

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 20:26

Hi Steve 

My Onco at the Royal Marsden had me on HT for three years as it was showing best results rather than two years 

Barry

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 21:29

Hi Barry,

When I saw the Onco in December she thought my treatment was going so well that there would be no problem ending HT in June.  Time will tell if they were right.

Steve

User
Posted 10 Mar 2016 at 22:16
Hi,

Interesting...

Just been the bathroom and I peed pure blood.

Help what now.

Steve
User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 00:06

Sounds to me like you need to speak to / see a doctor. Either 111 or A&E.

All the best

Rosy

User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 01:08
Hi,

Just spent a couple of hours at hospital while they checked me out.

Still peeing deep red blood and have been advised to contact the urologist who saw me in early February with my previous episode. I will be contacting his secretary first thing in the morning.

Steve

Edited by member 11 Mar 2016 at 01:09  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 10:46
Hi,

Phoned the consultant's secretary, she's trying to track him down but did me the news that my cystoscopy is booked in for next Friday.

Seem to be losing blood even if I'm not peeing. A lot of blood and clots.

Steve
User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 12:41

Hi Steve,

I'm surprised the hospital let you out the door. Hope you get a swift resolution!

Flexi

User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 14:23
Hi,

Just had a call from my consultant. We had a long chat and he said that he believes it should improve over the weekend but it's important that I have the cystoscopy done next week.

He said it could be a late side effect from RT but would rather be sure it wasn't anything else. He said that things like this always seem to look worse than they are.

Looks like I'll have to cope with it. Lucky we're looking after our baby grandson, I could be using some of his Pampers!

Steve
User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 16:35

Steve

You do get in the wars don't you. The other day I said "onward and upward" not set backs.

As your consultant said things often look worse than they are. I did have had a small amount of pure blood and a clot coming out of my penis after one of my ops and it did look significantly different to colour of blood in urine in a catheter bag.

Take care and do not use all the pampers.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 17:47

Hope everything goes ok Steve

Paul

User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 20:01

Steve,

Every time things seem to be looking up for you you take a further blow. Hope latest problem(s) can be sorted soon.

Barry
User
Posted 11 Mar 2016 at 21:11
Hi,

Photograghing the Reading v Crystal Palace match this evening (live on BBC 1). Frozen.

Steve
User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 04:20
Hi,

Fortunately the bleeding has stopped now. It probably got frozen during the match this evening.

Steve
User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 07:28
Steve

Good news for you, not so good for Reading FC. Hope your cystoscopy goes as good as my last one, all over in sixty seconds and didn't feel a thing.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 12 Mar 2016 at 09:33
Hi Chris,

Disappointed for the Reading fans but as you know, I'm a Nottinghamshire lad so my loyalty will always be to Forest.

Yes I hope things will be like your experiences next Friday but I have never had anything like that, not even a catheter, so I'll a bit apprehensive about it.

Steve

Edited by member 12 Mar 2016 at 09:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 08:41
Hi,

Just been reading the info about tomorrow's Cystoscopy that the hospital sent me. They describe the instrument as a "telescope" rather than a "camera". If it hurts I think my love for astronomy will disappear forever!

Steve

Edited by member 17 Mar 2016 at 08:42  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 08:56

Steve best luck tomorrow. My advice - ensure they wait the suggested time of 5 to 10 minutes from putting the anaesthetic gel lubricant in you , to then putting the camera in you. I would insist on this even if they are behind. A nurse holds your hand. Look at her , don't look at the device.
All the best
Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 09:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

A nurse holds your hand. Look at her , don't look at the device.

All the best
Chris

Chris

Think I am going to get a transfer your hospital. Interesting about the 5-10 minutes, mine was gel in followed immediately by the camera, but having said that still no discomfort at all.

Steve

You will be fine, a lot of us on here have done self cauterisation with catheters not much smaller than the camera and I recall one guy using catheters the same size as the camera.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 14:12

Keeping calm is the secret to a cystoscopy and just relaxing. I know easier said than done but if you tense it is more difficult. My urologist was chatting to me whilst I thought he was preparing. He then said look at the camera its in your bladder, never felt a thing even across the sphincter muscle. The thought is definitely worse than the actual procedure. Good luck. sTeve.

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 15:18

Good luck Steve, don't forget to post the photos. (That's of you holding the Nurses hand 😎)

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 19:29
Always rooting for you Steve, not nice but hopefully over before you know it tomorrow, kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 17 Mar 2016 at 19:51

As paul says the thought is worse that the procedure. I didn't feel a thing

God luck

Bri

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 16:39
Hi,

Thanks for your messages

Well, I could say "Ouch" but actually it wasn't too bad. Any discomfort was very short lived.....and the nurse held my hand!

As was said, I think it was just the thought of it when I've never even had a catheter before that made me feel apprehensive about it. I just feel a bit sore.

The good news is that test showed that my bladder is ok so the bleeding is probably a late effect of my radiotherapy treatment.

Thanks for your support.

Steve
User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 16:52

Good news Steve!

Relax now and enjoy the weekend..http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Best wishes

Luther

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 16:59

That is good news Steve.
Glad everything went ok for you.

Paul

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 18:52

Good news Steve. Glad it went well for you

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 19:26
Good news Steve
User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 20:18

Thanks for the goods news Stevehttp://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif

User
Posted 18 Mar 2016 at 23:29
So all done Steve and good news that nothing sinister was found so a good outcome . I have to say guys and I promise I am not belittling or unsympathetic to a camera up your bits ( I nearly said it but I no the moderators are watching and Lyn has only just got her new lap top)😜 I don't want tea spilt.
Squeezing a 8lb baby out of your bits is way more difficult🤗 So a camera going in the opposite direction phew not a big deal. I do get it though the thought is enough to make your eyes water.
Seriously Steve I am glad that it is done and the outcome is good.
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 01:27
Hi Julie,

I totally agree with your reference to childbirth, a cystoscopy is nothing in comparison.

I have been present at all four of our children's births and I'm in total awe of women's ability to achieve the seemingly impossible task of delivering something that big.

I have to admit to feeling a little embarrassed than I drew attention to it on this site but I think I was more concerned about what the test might reveal. I feel that my wife has suffered enough without having to worry about something new.

Thank you, Julie.

Steve xx
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 06:50
Hi Steve

You're right to bring this to our attention. It's the place where we try to help and support each other on the journey we're on. Unless you have very close friends you can share things with this place is a good safe place to open up and reveal what's in your heart and mind.

Hope you have a peaceful weekend with that problem now out of the way

Arthur
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 06:50

hi steve
good to read about the blood
your comment on our wives it must at times be really tough knowing that at sometime in the not too distant future we may not be around all we can do is spoil em as much possible

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 12:51

Good news Ste*e.

Too late Julie - Pepsi all over the key*oard and no C, V or B 😥

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 13:16

Have been away from the site for a while Steve but really pleased to have caught up with your good news .
Regards,
Cobbles

User
Posted 19 Mar 2016 at 23:19

Hi,

Thank you everyone for you kind messages.

I had an amazing day today.  It was the Prostate Cancer UK "Men United" Collection Day at the Reading v Cardiff match today and hopefully, we raised lots of money.  It was the first time I'd been the collectors' team leader and was just hoping I'd do everything right.  As it turned out, everything seemed to go really well.  I would like to get involved again.

On the subject of getting involved, PCUK rang me this week to ask if I would use my skills as a photographer, to work at the Brighton Marathon and the London Marathon covering the charity's involvement in these events for them.  I agree to work at the London Marathon and will probably help out at the Brighton Marathon too, though I want to have a think about that one. 

I love running events, even if I'm not fit enough to compete at the moment.  I'm disappointed that my Cardiac Consultant requested that I pull out of competing in the Reading Half Marathon in two weeks time and not running in any races until they have chance to give me a Cardiac MRI scan to check on recent problems.  At least I can be there to photograph these races so have some involvement.

Continue to have a good weekend everyone.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Mar 2016 at 00:42

Good for you! It's nice that you can be involved even if you can't run. From someone who has always hated running, the photography sounds much a better option!

Rosy

User
Posted 20 Mar 2016 at 09:29

Well done that man.

Pleased about the team leadership and also very pleased that you have been approached for your professional skills.

Let's hope the weather on those events is kind

User
Posted 20 Mar 2016 at 10:36

Steve

You put some of us to shame.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Mar 2016 at 15:16
Hi Steve

The London is a great event both running and watching, you'll have a tremendous time there even if you're working.

Try to resist joining in!!

Arthur