Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

89 year old - Orchiectomy?

User
Posted 24 Jan 2016 at 15:32

Dear everyone.

I’ve just joined this site and most grateful for all the information I’ve got from reading the discussion forum.

I’m worried about my dear dad. He's 89 and has just been diagnosed with a recurrence of Prostate cancer. He had it 20 years ago and was treated successfully with TURP + Radiation.

• PSA is 37 (risen from 24, two weeks previously).
  • CT Scan suggests that it is in the Pelvis too.
  • Symptoms: Frequency of urination + a little haematuria - he is not too bothered with these side effects though.

Having tried Bicalutimide (HT - he had a severe allergic reaction after taking just 1 tablet – Itchy skin). The Doctor seems to be pushing him towards an op. He's has given us 2 options:

• Degarelix Injections
  • Orchidectomy – Gen Anaesthetic (trying to find out if this can be done under local because of this age)

The sort of thing I would be most grateful for a bit of help with the following:

• Any thoughts on an Orchiectomy at his age?
  • Does he need a biopsy to determine how aggressive this is? 
  • Has anyone had experience of Degarelix?
  • The Dr seems to have ruled out RT - I wonder if this is due to his age or the fact he had it before

Any thoughts. most welcome. Thank you and wishing you all the best with your health.

Clare

User
Posted 24 Jan 2016 at 23:09

Hello Clare and welcome to the site.

I can't offer advice as I know nothing about orchidectomy, for any age, but I'm hoping that my reply will "bump" your post so that it doesn't get lost.

All new conversations have to be monitored so they take a day or so to appear from when you originally post.

I'm sure somebody ill be able to help you

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 00:22

Hi Clare,

Hopefully I can offer a few thoughts, some of which may be useful:

You say '...The Dr seems to have ruled out RT - I wonder if this is due to his age or the fact he had it before'.

You are spot on, the thing with RT, conventional external beam RT, is that you can only ever have it once because of the potential damage it can do to surrounding tissues.  Your dad's bowels and bladder which surround his prostate have already had as much radiation as they can safely take and the doctors won't want to give more.

Sometimes they give paliative RT to cancer hotspots that are well away from the prostate.  I am not sure whether the pelvis bones fall into that category.

You don't mention your dads general health, but at 89 he may be approaching the age when it is kinder to leave him in peace and not trouble him with the side effects of too much robust treatment.

I am only 62, and last year had salvage brachytherapy, but before the doctors would give me that treatment I had to go through 12 months of rigmarole, multiple scans identifying all sorts of things I didn't know I had like cysts on the kidneys and other glands.  It was only when they were sure that my cancer hadn't spread from the prostate, and that I wasn't about to die of something else, that they sanctioned the treatment.

At the same time my mother was 88, and passing black stools suggesting some sort of bowel cancer.  Her GP took me to one side and explained that it wasn't sensible to put mum through the full range of tests, like barium enemas etc, because even if they were able to accurately identify her tumour/s, she wasn't strong enough to cope with surgery or similar treatment.  Within a year she had sufferred two major strokes and died peacefully in her sleep.  

More importantly she died with her dignity intact and without sufferring the anguish of yet more time in hospital.

So in your dad's case you need to consider his general health, how will he react to an orchidectomy and is it likely to have a significant effect on his quality of life and life expectancy? 

:)

Dave

User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 00:27

Hi Claire,
a lot of questions so I will try to answer in the order that makes sense to me:
- biopsy - RT makes the prostate mushy and sticky so it is unlikely that they would be able to get a biopsy unless there are some pretty large tumours in the pelvic area to go at

- offering more RT now - as he had RT as his primary treatment, he can't have RT in the same area again. They might be able to give a little bit of RT to a tumour that is well away from the original zapping zone but there is no point doing one met if the cancer has a number of sites now. Sometimes, a shot of RT is held back to be given if a man has a lot of pain from spread to bones.

- orchidectomy - we do have a couple of members who have gone down this route but it tends not to be the preferred option as a first response. If he has HT and has terrible side effects, he can at least stop having the hormones. If he has terrible side effects from the orchidectomy, he is stuck with them permanently. And HT does not last forever so when it fails, a man can stop taking it and get some quality of life back (even if only for a short while). As soon as dad becomes hormone resistant, the orchidectomy will have been pointless but he can't get his testicles back.

It may be that he will react badly to Degaralix or Zoladex or whatever other hormone treatments they suggest but if he was my dad, I would want him to try them before opting for the permanent removal. The exception would I suppose be if he has Alzheimers or another condition that limits his capacity. You could also ask about the possibility of chemo - my father in law was 80 and coped well but others find it very difficult to cope with and there would probably be extra concern about him contracting infections at such an age.

When you say 'doctor' you do mean a urologist or oncologist don't you and not just his GP? If the GP is advising on options, you will be much better getting dad to an onco asap to find out what is actually available. I think from your post that you understand dad's cancer isn't curable but with the right treatment, he can still be with you for a long time yet.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 00:14

Hi Guys,

I must admit that this biopsy after RT is something I don't properly understand.

First time around, at initial diagnosis in 2007, I read all that I could about the TRUS biopsy, and how the experts look at our cells under the microscope, grading 1 to 5, and doing it twice to come up with the Gleason grading, it all seemed to make perfect sense.

When my own cancer returned in 2014, to my way of thinking it was quite important to have a further biopsy and repeat the Gleason Grading.  It occurred to me that because, first time around, the Gleason grading was one of the most important factors in determining treatment oprions, then logically it would be just as important second time around?

After all in 2014 I didn't know whether the cancer I had, was the original 2007 tumour, springing back to life because the 2008 RT had 'failed'.  Or whether because the 2008 RT had left me with some healthy prostate intact after treatment I had gone on to develop a whole new tumour?

And if it was a new tumour, it might have been a low Gleason grade that didn't need radical treatment?

I asked the various doctors these questions, I was told essentially that they had no idea whether it was the old G9 cancer returning or an entirely new one.

So I thought that when I was then referred for salvage brachytherapy that I would get some answers, because that treatment was preceded by a full template biopsy which I gathered was far more accurate than the TRUS.  So I specifically asked what my new Gleason grade was, and was told that in salvage cases, of previously irradiated prostates, they don't use the Gleason grade.

I presume that the template biopsy identifies which areas of the prostate have cancer and which do not, otherwise it would be a pointless exercise, but the doctors didn't explain how they identify the cancer cells from non cancerous areas.

I understand that in the later stages of advanced PCa the PSA count sometimes falls away because the cancer cells have mutated to such an extent that they are no longer prostate cells and no longer make PSA?  So perhaps it is a case that the post RT cancer cells have changed into something that doesn't fit the Gleason grades, but honestly I am speculating I don't really understand.

I hope this helps Clare understand why they are not repeating the biopsy on her dad.

Hopefully Barry might be able to shed more light on this issue?

Dave   

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 08:45

Hi Guys,

Lyn once again you are identifying issues which have perplexed me.

When I relapsed my PSA went quickly from a healthy 2.6 in April, to a worrying 4.6 in October and an alarming 6.1 in November.

That coincided with a routine follow up appointment which just happened to be with the Consultants junior assistant, I was anxious about the PSA rise and mightily relieved when he put me back on HT.

At my next appointment, which happened to be with the Consultant, the man himself, he reviewed my notes, and said almost to himself while reading the notes, that he would have been tempted to let the PSA rise a little further.  At the time I didn't take him up on that point, and subsequently often wondered how long he would have waited, and how high we should let our PSA rise?

Barry mentions Cryotherapy, my Consultant is the local expert and when I mentioned it to him he said I was unsuitible, he feared I would merely end up incontinent. I know one of his patients who was left with a hole in his bladder, and I think a major determining factor for cryotherapy is the location of the cancer within the prostate, I dont think they can go too near the edge?

I think they currently regard my salvage HDR Brachytherapy as a sucess, I saw my Consultant's junior guy for a follow up last month, and he wrote to my GP describing me as 'asymptomatic', and I suppose he is correct as I have managed to come through this latest treatment with my continence intact.  However I also think it a little premature to call me asymptomatic while I am still under the effects of HT, so will await the next few months worth of PSA tests with interest.

As I said in previous posts, I have been given a target PSA of <0.4, that seems a little low to me, and I will be tempted to let it go higher before having further HT.

Dave 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 16:09

Good luck for Monday Clarebear and dad. I sincerely hope all goes well for him, and as you say Clare, any information on this procedure may well be of benefit for older members in the future.

All the best

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 00:34

Hi Clare,

Wishing you and your dad the best of luck on Monday.

Dave

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 01:03

Hi Clare,

Hope you Dad's op goes well and indeed we will be interested in his progress.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jan 2016 at 23:09

Hello Clare and welcome to the site.

I can't offer advice as I know nothing about orchidectomy, for any age, but I'm hoping that my reply will "bump" your post so that it doesn't get lost.

All new conversations have to be monitored so they take a day or so to appear from when you originally post.

I'm sure somebody ill be able to help you

Sandra

User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 00:22

Hi Clare,

Hopefully I can offer a few thoughts, some of which may be useful:

You say '...The Dr seems to have ruled out RT - I wonder if this is due to his age or the fact he had it before'.

You are spot on, the thing with RT, conventional external beam RT, is that you can only ever have it once because of the potential damage it can do to surrounding tissues.  Your dad's bowels and bladder which surround his prostate have already had as much radiation as they can safely take and the doctors won't want to give more.

Sometimes they give paliative RT to cancer hotspots that are well away from the prostate.  I am not sure whether the pelvis bones fall into that category.

You don't mention your dads general health, but at 89 he may be approaching the age when it is kinder to leave him in peace and not trouble him with the side effects of too much robust treatment.

I am only 62, and last year had salvage brachytherapy, but before the doctors would give me that treatment I had to go through 12 months of rigmarole, multiple scans identifying all sorts of things I didn't know I had like cysts on the kidneys and other glands.  It was only when they were sure that my cancer hadn't spread from the prostate, and that I wasn't about to die of something else, that they sanctioned the treatment.

At the same time my mother was 88, and passing black stools suggesting some sort of bowel cancer.  Her GP took me to one side and explained that it wasn't sensible to put mum through the full range of tests, like barium enemas etc, because even if they were able to accurately identify her tumour/s, she wasn't strong enough to cope with surgery or similar treatment.  Within a year she had sufferred two major strokes and died peacefully in her sleep.  

More importantly she died with her dignity intact and without sufferring the anguish of yet more time in hospital.

So in your dad's case you need to consider his general health, how will he react to an orchidectomy and is it likely to have a significant effect on his quality of life and life expectancy? 

Dave

User
Posted 25 Jan 2016 at 00:27

Hi Claire,
a lot of questions so I will try to answer in the order that makes sense to me:
- biopsy - RT makes the prostate mushy and sticky so it is unlikely that they would be able to get a biopsy unless there are some pretty large tumours in the pelvic area to go at

- offering more RT now - as he had RT as his primary treatment, he can't have RT in the same area again. They might be able to give a little bit of RT to a tumour that is well away from the original zapping zone but there is no point doing one met if the cancer has a number of sites now. Sometimes, a shot of RT is held back to be given if a man has a lot of pain from spread to bones.

- orchidectomy - we do have a couple of members who have gone down this route but it tends not to be the preferred option as a first response. If he has HT and has terrible side effects, he can at least stop having the hormones. If he has terrible side effects from the orchidectomy, he is stuck with them permanently. And HT does not last forever so when it fails, a man can stop taking it and get some quality of life back (even if only for a short while). As soon as dad becomes hormone resistant, the orchidectomy will have been pointless but he can't get his testicles back.

It may be that he will react badly to Degaralix or Zoladex or whatever other hormone treatments they suggest but if he was my dad, I would want him to try them before opting for the permanent removal. The exception would I suppose be if he has Alzheimers or another condition that limits his capacity. You could also ask about the possibility of chemo - my father in law was 80 and coped well but others find it very difficult to cope with and there would probably be extra concern about him contracting infections at such an age.

When you say 'doctor' you do mean a urologist or oncologist don't you and not just his GP? If the GP is advising on options, you will be much better getting dad to an onco asap to find out what is actually available. I think from your post that you understand dad's cancer isn't curable but with the right treatment, he can still be with you for a long time yet.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 14:54

Most grateful Sandra. Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I thought replies would go straight through to my Yahoo account. Clare

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 14:58

Thank you Dave. You're so right to remind me that just leaving things and not putting him through an operation at his age, could be the best route. Although he is pretty fit and mentally incredibly sharp, but I would hate an operation to knock him sideways and not properly recover from. What you say about the Radiation now fits.

I'm just off now to the Urologist to grill him with further questions. I do want to understand how fast growing this thing is as to how fast and whether we do anything or not.

Very grateful for your response. Sorry I didn't reply sooner - I didn't see it.

Clare

User
Posted 27 Jan 2016 at 19:07

I agree with what has been said. There are different hormone treatments and these can work in different ways. Some men react badly to one or more but worth discussing possibilities with consultant before plumping for orchidectomy. Apparently cancer identified outside the prostate and HT or orchidectomy would work systemically as would chemotherapy. It is possible to have a biopsy of the prostate after RT, I am one of a number that have had this but unlikely in your Dad's circumstances as can't think of what other radical treatment a biopsy could lead to.

It goes to show that sometimes PCa can develop many years after a man might feel he has been cured by his primary treatment. It makes the case for continued monitoring over the years, albeit on a less frequent basis.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 00:14

Hi Guys,

I must admit that this biopsy after RT is something I don't properly understand.

First time around, at initial diagnosis in 2007, I read all that I could about the TRUS biopsy, and how the experts look at our cells under the microscope, grading 1 to 5, and doing it twice to come up with the Gleason grading, it all seemed to make perfect sense.

When my own cancer returned in 2014, to my way of thinking it was quite important to have a further biopsy and repeat the Gleason Grading.  It occurred to me that because, first time around, the Gleason grading was one of the most important factors in determining treatment oprions, then logically it would be just as important second time around?

After all in 2014 I didn't know whether the cancer I had, was the original 2007 tumour, springing back to life because the 2008 RT had 'failed'.  Or whether because the 2008 RT had left me with some healthy prostate intact after treatment I had gone on to develop a whole new tumour?

And if it was a new tumour, it might have been a low Gleason grade that didn't need radical treatment?

I asked the various doctors these questions, I was told essentially that they had no idea whether it was the old G9 cancer returning or an entirely new one.

So I thought that when I was then referred for salvage brachytherapy that I would get some answers, because that treatment was preceded by a full template biopsy which I gathered was far more accurate than the TRUS.  So I specifically asked what my new Gleason grade was, and was told that in salvage cases, of previously irradiated prostates, they don't use the Gleason grade.

I presume that the template biopsy identifies which areas of the prostate have cancer and which do not, otherwise it would be a pointless exercise, but the doctors didn't explain how they identify the cancer cells from non cancerous areas.

I understand that in the later stages of advanced PCa the PSA count sometimes falls away because the cancer cells have mutated to such an extent that they are no longer prostate cells and no longer make PSA?  So perhaps it is a case that the post RT cancer cells have changed into something that doesn't fit the Gleason grades, but honestly I am speculating I don't really understand.

I hope this helps Clare understand why they are not repeating the biopsy on her dad.

Hopefully Barry might be able to shed more light on this issue?

Dave   

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 10:42

Hi Dave,

Firstly, I don't know whether I have misunderstood part of what you said as regards to Gleason score but it is arrived at following biopsy by taking the largest number of cancer cells first and giving them a grade. The next most numerous number of cancer cells is graded and then added to the first graded number to give the Gleason score. The first and most numerous grade may be higher or lower than the second depending on whether examination shows a greater or lesser number of cells that have deviated further from being normal cells. Thus in a 4+3=7 Gleason there is a greater proportion of more greatly deviated cancer cells than in a 3+4=7 Gleason. This grading is done at the same time. The calculation is the same whether the TRUS or Transperineal type of biopsy is used. The latter involves more cores generally using a template for more accurate positioning.

Where another biopsy is done after RT, the results may come out the same as before RT (mine were the same at 3+4=7) although the overall amount of cancer found was reduced. But it could have had a higher or lower grading depending how the cancer had gone. It could have been a small area that was not fully treated or where some radioresistant cells had survived or a new tumour grown. So in my case at least, the usual Gleason score was used. Ideally, an MRI first helps identify where to direct the needles to take cores. Cores are assessed not only to establish grade but percentage of cancer. To the best of my knowledge once Prostate cancer cells have deviated to the point that they are assessed at 5 they have reached the maximum grading regardless of how much further they have mutated. As there are so many types of cancer and possible mutations, PSA will vary.

If cancer cells have escaped a previously radiated Prostate and established elsewhere removing the Prostate surgically might help debaulk to assist some form of HT or chemo but it is very difficult to do and can result in other issues. Further radiation to a previously irradiated Prostate is not usually done. I was told that salvage HIFU would not be done outside the study I was on if cancer had spread beyond the Prostate.

In the circumstances of Clare's Dad, it is therefore most unlikely that a biopsy would be given but sometimes consultants have particular reasons for doing things differently.

Barry
User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 19:42

Hi Barry,

I must admit that I was perplexed, not to have been given a Gleason score from my second biopsy.

I did specifically ask the doctor what the Gleason grading was, and she specifically said that they didn't use the Gleason grading when taking biopsies from previously irradiated prostates.

However I have a routine follow up appaointment with my Consultant in April and will seek further clarification of this.

Another aspect that I do not understand is the post radiation target PSA, when I came off HT the first time around, I asked my Consultant what level of PSA was regarded as safe, and he told me he wouldn't be concerned unless it rose to more than 2.5 in the first 2 years after ceasing HT.

This time around I asked the same question and was told that should my PSA rise above 0.4 I would be back on HT.  That strikes me as a rather low target PSA level, particularlly as I had a large prostate.  When I queried this I was told that the target PSA after HDR Brachytherapy was lower.

I do not however understand why this is so, and it is something else I will seek further clarification.

I only know of one guy who had a salvage prostectomy after RT, and it didn't do him too much good in the long term, so I doubt that is a viable option now I have had two blasts of RT.

I had multiple MRI scans when they were doing the HDR Brachytherapy so I have full confidence in the treatment I was given.

However I only had these after they had decided that I was a candidate for the salvage treatment.

Like Clare and her dad, when the cancer came back I was in that frustrating position of knowing nothing, the doctors initially said that there was no point with biopsies or scans as they were merely going to put me on HT, and with no possibility of any other form of treatment there was no point in biopsies or scans.

I hope all of this makes sense?

Dave

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 20:56

RT can damage the cells in such a way that cells that are actually only mutated to a 3 may look distorted enough to be a 5. It is also known that HT can make cells appear more or less mutated than would be warranted by the seriousness of the cancer.

I am trying to think who it was that had a very frightening time when his post-treatment biopsy came back with a much higher Gleason than had previously been noted. He was subsequently referred to a new onco who was amazed that the first med team hadn't known that the Gleason would be unreliable.

We also had a member whose hospital always notes on the samples if the prostate that is being biopsied is a post-HT one so that the results can be calibrated.

I am overtired so not quite sure but could it have been Topgun? You can probably find it by using the search function (ha ha ha ha ha)

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 22:50

Hi Lyn,

Thanks, once again your knowledge, and knack of explaining complicated issues in simple terms, has helped me understand what is going on.

Hopefully we might also have helped Claire understand why her dad hasn't been subjected to an unnecessary biopsy?

Dave 

User
Posted 28 Jan 2016 at 23:51

Dave,

It is clear that hospitals and sometimes individual doctors can have a different approach, particularly where PCa progresses and patients respond in various ways to treatment. It comes to a stage where oncologists use their experience to judge what might be the best way forward within certain limits for a particular patient. Some are more prepared to 'think outside the box'. Taking my own case for example, I had regular PSA tests following radiation which showed a very slow but persistent rise at each successive test. I asked at a subsequent consultation what level the PSA would have to reach before further treatment would be considered. I was told 2 plus my nadir which was 0.05, so 2.05, (the point of biochemical failure as normally defined) but was told in a latter telephone conversation with another doctor that possibly a PSA of 10 before treatment. Many months passed and I expressed to a junior doctor in another telephone appointment my concern about the continued rise in my PSA. With a bit of prompting from me she said she would discuss it with her consultant. Although it was only about 1.66 at this point he felt that 'something was going on within the Prostate' and agreed to an MRI scan, (so a more proactive approach). He was right because the MRI showed a new tumour. I was subsequently referred to UCLH and had 4 scans and a transperineal biopsy and HIFU salvage therapy when my PSA reached 1.99. A month after the HIFU and with no HT to confuse the reading, my PSA had fallen to 0.42, so it got some if not all the cancer! Incidentally, UCLH wanted to put me on HT additionally because they said I also had a cancerous iliac node. However, I showed scans and biopsy to 3 other hospitals and none of them were convinced that this iliac node was cancerous so I have not started HT and will not do so unless there is a significant rise in PSA.

I have unanswered questions too but feel the foregoing illustrates how opinions and approaches can change and even scans be viewed differently. I will not elaborate further Dave as although this may be of interest to you, I don't think it will help Clare

Edited by member 28 Jan 2016 at 23:56  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 18:36

You are unusual though manwith in that you decided to pursue a little used salvage treatment.

For most men, I think the confusion comes in understanding the difference between the point of accepting relapse (that the cancer is back) and the point at which treatment would be reintroduced. As you say, biochemical relapse is generally seen as 0.2 for a man with no prostate and 2.0 (or 2 + nadir) for a man who still has his prostate. However, men who have had RT which then fails will often only have long term HT as an option and it seems clear on here that different oncos have very different views about when that should be introduced ... I think Bri's onco said 20 as did someone else's, others here have mentioned 10. My dad says he is not going to act unless it gets up to 25 or he starts to have problems and his uro is okay with that. John's onco is of the view that John has biochemical relapse although he is still at less than 0.1 but with a trend upwards - hopefully an extra blast of RT will be possible but if the only option is management on HT then I am pretty sure he will wait until 10 or more.

Edited by member 29 Jan 2016 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 02:28

Cryotherapy is a possibility for salvage therapy after RT (and some have it as a primary treatment). I was told I would have been offered it if the location of the tumour in my prostate did not favour HIFU. Perhaps like HIFU, it is only generally offered (except in trials) if the cancer is not believed to be present outside the Prostate? Nanoknife IRE is a more recent development. This delivers short bursts of electricity through probes to blow holes in cancer cells and damage them irrecoverably . It has been trialed recently in the UK for PCa but is not presently available in the UK for PCa , although it is being used for some other cancers. So, discounting surgery for reasons previously mentioned and RT not being done again over previously used pathways to the Prostate, the above are alternative ways of attacking tumours directly other than systemically, although these treatments can be augmented by HT and Chemotherapy where considered appropriate.

Lyn is correct, HIFU (and Cryotherapy) are comparatively rare but are becoming increasingly used. I don't know if this is the case with Cryotherapy but certainly HIFU can be repeated again if necessary, which can be very useful. As it happens I have very recently received a long letter from UCLH sent to men participating in Focal Studies and will just give the gist of what may be of interest. It says that over a 1000 men have been treated with HIFU at UCLH since they performed their first treatment in October 2004. There were 2 clinical trials back then and there are some 15 active clinical trials now. ...."outcomes are inevitably variable, the vast majority of cases that are under our care have shown that compared to traditional treatment options this new pathway reduces side-effects and complications with good disease control."

HIFU is now available at a number of centres across the UK including North Hampshire Hospital; University Hospital Southampton; The Princess Alexandra Hospital and several others doing focal therapy using cryotherapy. Combined between these centres they are close to treating 2500 men with the the number growing each year. 2015 has seen work resulting in the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in America approving the use of HIFU for treating Prostate tissue. This achievement due in part as a result of the work undertaken in the UK

Edited by member 30 Jan 2016 at 02:34  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 08:45

Hi Guys,

Lyn once again you are identifying issues which have perplexed me.

When I relapsed my PSA went quickly from a healthy 2.6 in April, to a worrying 4.6 in October and an alarming 6.1 in November.

That coincided with a routine follow up appointment which just happened to be with the Consultants junior assistant, I was anxious about the PSA rise and mightily relieved when he put me back on HT.

At my next appointment, which happened to be with the Consultant, the man himself, he reviewed my notes, and said almost to himself while reading the notes, that he would have been tempted to let the PSA rise a little further.  At the time I didn't take him up on that point, and subsequently often wondered how long he would have waited, and how high we should let our PSA rise?

Barry mentions Cryotherapy, my Consultant is the local expert and when I mentioned it to him he said I was unsuitible, he feared I would merely end up incontinent. I know one of his patients who was left with a hole in his bladder, and I think a major determining factor for cryotherapy is the location of the cancer within the prostate, I dont think they can go too near the edge?

I think they currently regard my salvage HDR Brachytherapy as a sucess, I saw my Consultant's junior guy for a follow up last month, and he wrote to my GP describing me as 'asymptomatic', and I suppose he is correct as I have managed to come through this latest treatment with my continence intact.  However I also think it a little premature to call me asymptomatic while I am still under the effects of HT, so will await the next few months worth of PSA tests with interest.

As I said in previous posts, I have been given a target PSA of <0.4, that seems a little low to me, and I will be tempted to let it go higher before having further HT.

Dave 

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 15:35

Dear Everyone

Huge thanks to everyone’s thoughts. So interesting. Sorry I haven’t replied until now, I’ve been busy getting Dad sorted.

My husband and I and dad, all went back to the Urologist and asked a lot of questions. We saw the CT Scan and the Dr explained he wants to move fast as Dad’s tumour is fast growing and in his pelvis too. I think it’s also in the lymph (didn't quite take that in) and await a bone scan before we know if its in the bones.

Dave /Lynn– you are right about the radiation. He can’t have that again.

Barry/ Dave/Lynn- thank you for your thoughts about the biopsy.

Basically it’s a dangerous procedure. Dad being an ex dr seems to know he shouldn’t have one if poss.

Barry – you are right about HIFU. They can’t do this as the cancer has progressed outside the Prostate sadly. This sounds a great option for anyone otherwise.

So, we’ve opted for the Orchidectomy on Monday. All I can say is that we all feel - our gut instinct says - that it seems to be the best solution for Dad. Dad is really very sharp still and feels convinced by this too. The urologist said he’s doing lots of elderly men in Hampshire and with very successful results. The op will be under a local anaesthetic and I just hope the Urologist was right when he said there were few side effects. I do know full well that any procedure is going to knock dad at his age though. 

Re the HT - Dad being an ex-Dr doesn’t’ like taking pills – it's strange when he’s prescribed so many! He had such a terrible reaction to the Bicalutimide and I think that’s put him off the HT. I think the urologist felt that he was likely to react to the Degarilex too.

I did a crazy thing this week and wrote to the top prostate chap I’d seen on the TV months back – that show called ‘Harley Street’. I couldn’t believe it – he actually called me yesterday! probably because I had written that Dad had been a doctor - not sure. I had emailed him Dad’s scans and after questioning me why dad wasn’t going for the HT, he ended up saying he knew our Urologist, had complete faith in him and thought an Orchidectomy would be the right option for Dad.

We shall see. I will let everyone know the results of the ochidectomy in case it is useful for the older members of the group to consider. It certainly sounds straightforward - lets hope it is.

So grateful for all your thoughts

Wishing you all the best of health.

Clare

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 15:37

Thanks so much Sandra. (I think I posted thanks to Lynn instead of you! Getting used to the site!). clare

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 15:40

Thank you Lynn for all your help - you seem to be a wealth of information. I hope we are doing the right thing. Clare

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 16:09

Good luck for Monday Clarebear and dad. I sincerely hope all goes well for him, and as you say Clare, any information on this procedure may well be of benefit for older members in the future.

All the best

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 16:25

Many thanks. Will do. it's so important to learn from others. Thank goodness for the internet! 

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 00:34

Hi Clare,

Wishing you and your dad the best of luck on Monday.

Dave

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 01:03

Hi Clare,

Hope you Dad's op goes well and indeed we will be interested in his progress.

Barry