I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TOT tape/sling op for incontinence

User
Posted 17 Feb 2016 at 22:49
Oh is now 14 months post op and still struggling with incontinence. He has a physical job, and it's worse when he's doing this- much better when he is resting over a weekend or away from physical stuff. He's using level 2 tena pads. He'd probably get away with level 1, but likes the security and yes, I think that's a bad thing too! He uses two pads s day on bad days, one on good days.

Been to see the nurse today. She has mentioned surgery to insert a tape. Has anyone had this? Does it work?

The oh hates the incontinence. But he does think it's slowly getting better, although usually when he says that it takes a turn for the worse! I have suggested he give it another three months and see how it is. I think he needs to wait until there is no further improvement.

Has anyone else got to 15 months at the same level and become dry over time?

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 08:06
L

I have no experience with the sling but it was suggested as an option by my consultant, my second bout of incontinence was result of a urethral procedure and after three months has improved almost overnight. Has he had bladder pressure tests and cystoscopy to see what is happening inside. Has he been given instructions on bladder training by your nurse. You may have seen the recent posts about the sheath systems,it may be of help especially on his working days.

I am sure one of our members had the sling and then went on to have the AUS.

PS

If you go into show search and type sling there are a few posts that may help.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 18 Feb 2016 at 08:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 10:59

Hi Louise,

I can't give you the answer you are looking for I'm afraid.

I'm now 20 months post op and still leak.... my continence is still improving but very slowly and I currently use one light pad a day.

I took the plunge to change from a heavy pad to a lighter one a few months ago and so far am coping ok.

In my own mind I'm pretty sure I will never be completely dry.

My local consultant has suggested at two previous reviews that he refer me to the team who operated on me to investigate the possibility of a sling implant. To date I have declined his offer as I know it will still be open to me at any time in the future should I wish to proceed.

As with all surgical procedures there are risks involved ( one of which is urine retention )  I'm not eager at present for them to be poking and prodding around in areas where they could make things worse, so I'm waiting to see how things pan out in the year ahead.

If things improve even further or I find that I manage without too many problems I may be inclined to leave well alone, but everyone is different in how they cope with this, so what is right for me may not be right for your hubby.

One member on here ( tonypw )  that I know of has had a sling implant, but I understand that for some reason it was unsuccessful... he has since gone on to have an AUS fitted and as far as I know is now doing well... 

There is also another member that I know of who is waiting for a sling implant op in a few months time, but I'm not sure if the member wishes it to be common knowledge so I'm reluctant to give a name.

Luther

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 13:00
Thanks guys.

Like you Luther, we are inclined to leave alone until there is no improvement at all, then to see if he can live with it. I think it bothers him much more than the ED (although the injections are working well. Too well sometimes!) and it doesn't help that, as time goes by, everyone assumes he's 'over it all'

He always liked a drink, and this is now something he has to be careful with. He can drink so much, but once he tips over the limit, all hell breaks loose! He tends to stick with wine nowadays, but I know he misses beer. Maybe a small price to pay.

He has had instruction on pelvic floors (hates it, doesn't think it helps) but nothing else. I think the nurse thinks it's a stress incontinence. Should we ask for further tests? If so, what? I think the oh is very loathe to have anyone else fiddling with his bits!

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 14:24
Hi Louise

Have a look at my profile, also diary of experiences.

Let me know if you need any further information.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 17:52
L

I had a fluoroscopic cystometrogram, the procedure is lie on a table with the xray machine above take some xrays, then insert a small pipe into the bladder and start to fill the bladder with heavy water and keep taking x-rays, a few coughs and then the table is brought to the vertical position. A few more coughs and x-rays, empty the bladder more xrays. Finally tea and biscuits. The pipe was uncomfortable but my incontinence has improved since having it done,not that it is a treatment for the problem I think it dislodged something in the urethra.

Then had the cystoscopy a few days later, 60 seconds and all done no discomfort.

I know exactly how he feels about not being messed around with.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 08:52
Thanks tony

Chris,

I used to be a radiographer. I remember the Monday morning CMG list well! I think it's worth discussing this at the next appointment thanks

Edited by member 19 Feb 2016 at 09:06  | Reason: Not specified