Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Still on Antibiotics 18 months after biopsy

User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 11:38
Hello all.

I can't find anyone else who seems to have had this problem. I've posted on here before as I'm sure some of you will remember.

My other half had his prostate biopsy in June 2014 age 57. A few weeks later diagnosed with prostate cancer (Gleason 3+3) shortly after the biopsy he started getting pains in his prostate and into his left testicle. Not bad skin but an ache. The MRI showed prostatitis presumably caused by the biopsy. Anyway, he took antibiotics almost constantly from July through to January when he underwent brachytherapy.

He suffered many, many months of pain in his prostate, burning when peeing for months and months following the brachy. All water infection tests come back negative.

It is 18 months after the biopsy now and one year after the brachytherapy. He has been on antibiotics on and off all year. He's just been given another months supply as he has a constant ache in the prostate and left testicle. He often gets a lot of burning on peeing too. The pain started after biopsy but burning started after brachy.

Has anyone ever heard of these problems? We are seeing the consultant in March. Should I put my foot down and say we need to find out what is causing these problems? The consultant said it was basically just unlucky.

If I were him I'd be unhappy taking antibiotics for so long. It does get better on them but a few weeks after all the problems resume.

If anyone has heard of this before or has any suggestions they would be greatly received. Thanks.

User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 22:56

Is he rigidly sticking to decaffeinated tea/coffee and drinking lots of cranberry juice? Would he consider trying acupuncture or hypnotherapy? I wouldn't be very happy about John taking antibiotics if there is no evidence of infection and this sounds more like an irritated bladder than anything else.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Feb 2016 at 12:09
Hello and thanks Lyn. I couldn't find this thread on my phone. Found it now!

Yes he hasn't had caffeine at home for a year. He has it occasionally if he has tea elsewhere. Yes the burning I'm sure is irritation, if he has alcohol (which he does avoid) or spicy food he suffers with burning. But he's more worried about the pain and ache in his prostate and left testicle. This started after the biopsy about 2 or 3 weeks later.

All the consultant does is prescribe more Antibiotics. We are seeing the consultant again in March. The burning started after brachy.

He tried cranberry juice last year and said it made the burning much worse. He won't try it again. So I've not had much luck with getting him on it.

But I'm not happy with him taking antibiotics all the time. He's on other tablets I'm not happy with too (nothing to do with prostate cancer) but I sometimes think the doctors just give people another pill to send them away.

He forgot to order tamsulosin at Christmas and decided to try without. The burning got much, much worse and for some reason sex caused very bad pain in his prostate. No idea why but he promptly put himself back on it!

Thanks for your help. Seems a few have had similar problems on my other thread.

User
Posted 21 Feb 2016 at 22:18

Ah I just commented on your other thread and then saw this comment from you. The fact that sex made the pain worse and tamsulosin helps doesn't fit with any significant medical problem, tamsulosin couldn't do anything for infection. It sounds to me most likely the sperm having nowhere to go and an irritated bladder or that the brachy has damaged some nerve endings maybe. That would also explain why the consultant isn't concerned and just put it down to luck. Has he tried paracetamol?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Feb 2016 at 10:01
I've replied on other thread as I accidentally have 2 threads. Thanks.