I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Newbie: PSA jumps 3,1 to 7.5 in a year

User
Posted 01 Jul 2016 at 15:01
Hi everyone, 58 year old newcomer, medium height and weight, reasonably fit. No known health probs (until now)

Story begins 10 years ago when I was 48, went to docs with the usual waterworks probs, needing the loo more often, getting up in the night etc. PSA test 1.2 DRE "nothing unusual" got used to it over time.

Fast forward 8 years go to the docs as problem now a tad worse....looking for loos when out, getting up twice a night etc. Doc does DRE and then sends me for blood test following day (yeah I now know that was wrong) PSA now comes back 3.3 and doc suggests referring me to urologist. Being a bloke I freak a bit ( big mistake) do some research find out that DRE should be done after blood, plus had been out on bike the day before....doc agrees to new test, this time PSA 3.1 just over the threshold.....Doc senses my reticence to go to the hospital (plenty of time to regret that now) agree to 6 monthly checks in case my baseline is higher than some.....Next 2 readings both come in at 3.1.....Get complacent and leave it 14 months before next test, and then only go because of chronic nagging back ache which I've had for a couple of months.....give blood on Thursday,, told ring for results Monday....Come home Friday to an answerphone msg to call the surgery...Cue Klaxons and red lights flashing).

Surgery closed over weekend so have to sweat it out until Monday..needless to say obsessional Internet research all weekend...On the phone first thing Monday...Docs appointment for the afternoon....Go into surgery almost shaking wondering what my fate is going to be......PSA is 7.5 .....I had been imagining double or treble figures so almost breathed a sigh of relief . Doc could see I had been a bit freaked, was very professional and matter iof fact, asked some questions, said he would probably refer me to a urologist, but in the meantime provide a urine sample and more blood to check kidney function......Came out whistling.....all that worry for nothing.

Following morning peeing into bottle and just held tip of penis to prevent overspill and noticed drop of blood on tip. Great, I thought it is an infection......Go see practice nurse, have blood taken, give her bottle and explain about blood. Oh, she says we can check that straight away......puts stick in urine says no, no infection, all pleased like that was good......I wanted there to have been an infection....if not infection then why the blood? Came away feeling very worried Again!

Consoled myself with the fact that maybe the lab had more sensitive equipment and also the blood had yet to be checked.....

I realise that this is getting rather long so will have a tea break and finish my story.....

Edited by member 01 Jul 2016 at 15:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 01 Jul 2016 at 17:27

Hello DR. DRE and welcome to the site.

You have two posts running and appearing today and it sometimes takes time for them to appear on the site as they have to be "moderated" before they can appear.
I hope that explains the delay in them turning up on the site and for any delay in replying to you,

Now, first things first. Please please please do not ask Dr. Google. As you have found to your cost over the weekend, he can be very negative and the information isn't always relevant since some of it is American and they score and do things differently there.

Secondly, a DRE before a PSA would make little difference. A biopsy probably would and it is suggested that rising a bike (or indeed sexual intercourse) just before a PSA test will affect the result.

It's no good now regretting that you did the "man" thing and put off going to the doc for 14 months. You are where you are now and we have to see what you can do to help yourself now.

You can start off by not panicking! Easily said I know. But worrying about this will only make you feel worse. There are others on here more skilled than me regarding PSA increase and the time lapse so I won't advise on it.

PSA of 7.5 isn't the best result in the world. It isn't (by far) the worst either. Just to put your score in perspective we have members on here with PSA in the 10s, hundreds and occasionally, thousands. OK, so they are classed as much more serious but you get the gist.

Obviously you have a problem. It might be BHP it might not. What you do have is a supportive wife who is trying to keep you firmly grounded (like we wives do) so please take a leaf out of her book and try and relax a bit.

If this is cancer, it is not a death sentence ! That word cancer produces the most horrible fear in all of us. We can offer all sorts of advice, all based on personal experience so when you get results come back and speak to us.

When you go for any appointments at hospital it's a good idea to write down your questions before you go and to take a pencil and notebook for the answers. I am sure your wife will want to be with you and that is a good idea because two pairs of ears are better than one.

I am trying to reassure you and I hope I have.

I am also sure that other members will be along to add their two pennoth so hang ion until they appear.

In the meantime, take a big breath and sit back and calm down.

Where you are now we have all been so I am not dismissing your fears which I am sure are very real. Whatever is running through your mind now I am sure it is the worst case scenario eh.

Be patient for now and wait the the others to come along.

We do have something called The Toolkit on here (Publications section) which eventually may help you but until you know what is happening it's all wasted emotion energy.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 01 Jul 2016 at 18:09

Hi Sandra, thank you for your reply. Both posts as you by now realise are just part one and part two of the same tale.....It's not only the "man thing" of leaving 14 months between tests That I'm now regretting, it's the fact that the doc was set to refer me to the hospital over 2 years ago and I wimped out . If I'm honest I was scared (mum and dad both died of cancer..mum blood cancer, dad brain tumour)....I thought that at 3.1 I was just on the borderline of safe, I didn't know then that there is no "Safe" No good crying over spilt milk now.....like I said in my part 2 it's the back ache and tingling pains that are currently messing with my head....Been to the docs today and got some diazepam as I'was starting to get a bit panicky yesterday......Never been a hypochondriac, hate taking meds and never had an anti depressant in my life until now....you never know what's round the corner do you...? I even rang one of the nurses at prostatecancer UK yesterday and she was lovely and talked me down.....it worked for a while....she pretty much said what you have....Do you work/volunteer for the charity or are you a wife?
Whichever I greatly appreciate your time
Tony

User
Posted 01 Jul 2016 at 18:24

Hello Tony,
Glad I didn't offend you with my reply.

I am "just" a wife who had no prior knowledge of Prostate cancer before my John's bout (plenty of other family cancers though )

The diazepam will help for a while. I'm sure that once you have all the facts and a treatment plan is put into place you will feel much more settled and able to cope.

It's just the complete uncertainty at this stage.

It will get easier I assure you.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails