Show search

Notification

Error
<123>

Treatment Experiencies

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 17:28
Hi Paul

I don't think you would be human if you weren't feeling apprehensive about the op. I certainly was. You have read a lot of the experiences of those of us who have been through it and so you know what to expect but it is difficult getting through the final few days before the op. I found that immersing myself in doing something that I enjoyed took my mind off it but also giving myself the challenge of finishing some decorating meast that I was focusing on something different which made me forget about it for a few hours at a time. No easy way through but you will get there.

All the best

Kevan

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 20:11

Hi my op was four and a half hours I had open surgery , very noisy  ward so was pleased to get home got me up walking the morning after and out after 3 days . catheter was a relief to get removed , remember your not alone many of us have been in your position . get everything ready for your return home . Andy

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 08:56

Thanks Andy,

feeling a bit better now thanks to you all, any tips on what to do ready for when I get home

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 09:49

Hi Paul

The best of luck for the 29th. You will soon be able to put my mind at rest about the operation. My robotic assisted surgery is planned for the 10th of October. I go for my pre op on the 30th of September.

Brian.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 10:41

I will let you all know how it went as soon as I can, thanks for all the help advice and good wishes,

Paul

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 11:02
Hi Paul, my husband had his surgery first on tues morning was back on the ward lunchtime after being im recovery I was with from 2pm he was in no pain just drifted to sleep on and off. Came home Thursday first two weeks v tired but no real pain. Third week started gradually doing some walking,catheter removed after 10 days all good. Went back to work phased return after 8 weeks. Post op results good news, we have 6 month app with consultant this week and psa result I'm worried he is more positive so sadly with pc there is always the worry and what if but you have got to have confidence in your consultant. He has no continence issues and recovered really well ongoing ed but work in progress😊 as for tips on coming home few pairs of loose dark joggers, sweatshirts, check if you will have supply of pads if not men's tena, nappy sacks, wet wipes, catheter bag stand hospital may supply ours did for night time, extra straps for bag, lots of dvds,books,etc. You can request a op bag from pcuk which is really useful. Hope this helps to put your mind at rest a bit. Jayne
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 11:15

Thanks Jayne,

feeling a bit better after all the help from people on this site, I hope I will be in a position to help others when it is all over, I still find it hard to believe how many are going through this,

Paul

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 12:53
Hi,

I can still remember all the fear and doubt I had prior to my op. I had never had major surgery and was scared. I also didn't want to outwardly show how scared I was because I knew my good lady was worried too.

On the day I asked the anethatist how many people died under anaesthetic and she told me one in two hundred thousand. Even then I thought I would be that one. Then apparently, my wife tells me, a look of calm and acceptance came over me and I told her she could go and I would see her later. I walked down to theatre, climbed aboard a trolley, got hooked up to the equipment. They put a cannula in my hand then I nodded off. I woke up later and it was done. Easy in hindsight to say it was a piece of cake but it was nothing like the experience my mind had blown it up into.

Take care. Onward and upward to the recovery camp.

THE CHILD HAS GROWN, THE DREAM HAS GONE
User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 14:08

Thanks Paul, all the different experiencies help a bit,

Paul

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 15:26
Paul

I think you have had most of the normal tips already. One thing I would add... Dont aloow constipation to make things really uncomfortable if you take laxatives do so with caution and in small doses to start with. When you feel you want to go to the loo to do a poo take a small footstool or box with you. Put your feet up onto it when you are sat on the loo. Your feet should be raised about 9 inches or so off the ground and slightly further forward than perpendicular. This takes a lot of pressure off your back passage and therefore makes it easier to pass a motion. The last thing you want to do is strain for any normal bodily function.

Best of luck for the op, let us know how you get on.

very best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 25 Sep 2016 at 18:56

Thanks I will remember that

Paul

User
Posted 26 Sep 2016 at 19:04

Hi all,

Did anyone read the article in the paper saying that most men will live for 10 years after being diagnosed with PCa even if they have no treatment

User
Posted 26 Sep 2016 at 19:32
Paul

There are also men who have died two years after diagnosis. I was 62 when diagnosed and I think the worst advice I was given on diagnosis was "if you do nothing you may still be here in 10-15 years. The better bit of advice in the same conversation was "if we get it you could be around for 30-35 years"

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Sep 2016 at 20:00
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi all,

Did anyone read the article in the paper saying that most men will live for 10 years after being diagnosed with PCa even if they have no treatment

Incredibly irresponsible journalism. Makes me so sad that this did not have any qualifying factors like age, severity etc.

Most could be 51% or 99% so that would be pretty misleading if presented that way.

my best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 26 Sep 2016 at 21:14

What the research actually showed was that for men diagnosed at an early stage with a low Gleason grade, the likelihood of still being around in 10 years was the same whether they had RT, RP or AS - which is more or less what the European 10 year study found a few years ago - it is about the over-treatment of pussycats. But we all knew that over-treatment was a problem ... what we really need is research into knowing which are the pussy cats and which are the kilers.

Art has uploaded links to this research (and summaries) for us on another thread on here, Farfar.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2016 at 22:53
Chris

sorry for posting this here but your inbox is full!

xx

Mo

User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 19:20
Paul

Enjoy your sleep tomorrow and make the most of being looked after for a few weeks. Remember to ask for some earplugs for tomorrow night, hospital wards seem to be busier at night than in the day. Take it easy but keep active.

Look forward to hearing your experience.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 19:28

Good luck tomorrow Paul.

Fingers crossed for you. It's a good luck day and special for us.

Tomorrow is my grandson's birthday. Diagnosed with inoperable cancer at 13 and here we are 7 years later aged 20, living life to the full

I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember to do as you're told and not rush things.

All the best

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 19:59
Hi Paul,

Good Luck for tomorrow!

Steve

User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 20:04
Evening Paul

Hope all goes well for you tomorrow and that you have a good recovery.

Keep us posted when you can.

Kind regards

Kevan👍

User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 20:37
Hi Paul thinking of you tomorrow. Jayne x
User
Posted 28 Sep 2016 at 21:01
Paul

here's to you having a very successful op tomorrow and a safe but speedy discharge from hospital.

Then feet up and take it really easy for a while.

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 30 Sep 2016 at 08:12
Hi Paul

Hope all went well yesterday.

Was thinking of you.

KRO...

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 09:03

Hi Guys,

well I got through it, went to theatre at 7.30 am back at 12.30 pm so about 4 hours, surgeon said all went well with negative margins, so fingers crossed, came home yesterday morning and had my first decent nights sleep last night, a bit painfull around my stomach from entry wounds but mostly when i cough or get up from a chair, the biggest problem was the gas but a few good farts and it is a lot better now, all I am worried about now is looking after the catheter, how robust are they, so now one step at a time, 

best wishes to all

Paul

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 09:24
Great news, Paul. You must be pleased it's done. Hope your recovery goes well and remember, don't try to rush things, give the body time to recover properly.

Take care.

Steve

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 10:03
Paul

We told you it would be okay and great news from your surgeon. As regards the catheter the first time round I was like you very wary of how robust they are, could I pull it out.

It would take a fair bit of effort to pull out, I accidentally caught some of mine a few times it keeps you alert. Keep it clean and wash round the end of the penis, the advice is non perfumed soap/gel.

You may get by-passing where urine comes out between the catheter and the penis,can be quite uncomfortable but with soon pass.

Keep active but no marathons,moving around will help keep the motions soft.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 10:55
Good news Paul,

Take it easy... remember... for first couple of weeks the heaviest thing that you should lift is a kettle of water... :-)

KRO..

Edited by member 02 Oct 2016 at 10:56  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 10:55

Well done Paul.

Very pleased that's over for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 11:04

Well done mate. Make sure you're looked after. Get a little bell :-))

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 11:54
Hi Paul

So pleased that all went well and that you are feeling pretty good. As the others have said, take things easy as your body has experienced a bit of trauma and things need time to settle. The catheter is pretty robust so shouldn't cause any problems but hygiene is important.

I did have a smile as I could hear the note of relief in your post. It's a beautiful day here today and reading your post has just made it even better.

Every good wish for your recovery.

Kevan

Edited by member 02 Oct 2016 at 11:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 12:22

Good to hear all went well, feet up and try not to do too much.

User
Posted 03 Oct 2016 at 21:40

Hi Paul

Pleased everything went well for you. This has given me more confidence for my operation on 10th October. Keep us posted on how the recovery goes and I will see if I can catch up.

Brian.

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 08:03

Hi Brian,

The OP itself is OK as you don't feel a thing, I went down at 7.30am and was in recovery at 12.00 so about 4 hours, the biggest problem I had was with gas, but once I had a good fart it was much better, and you can fart anytime and get away with it, I am feeling OK, catheter has not been a problem, stomach hurts a bit from entry wounds but mainly when I cough or sneeze, so one step at a time, I think a little pain is good as it reminds you that you have had a major OP, anyway good luck for you OP any questions please ask,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 13:42
Hi Paul really glad op went well and you are taking things easy. Jayne
User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 15:59

Thanks Jayne,

I suggested to my wife that I should get a bell but she was none too pleased,

Paul

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 18:14
It must be the name Paul as you and my husband share the same and he sometimes thinks he is funny too 😊 seriously glad all going well and tell your wife to make sure she has a rest wherever possible too as it has been stressful for her too and surprising how the tiredness creeps up. Jayne x
User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 18:40

Don't worry, I will make sure she gets plenty of rest,

Paul

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 17:32

Hi Paul

Getting very nervous myself now! I have been told to present myself at the hospital at 11am on Monday morning and have nothing to eat after midnight tomorrow! Meeting up with friends tomorrow for a nice Sunday lunch in an attempt to take my mind off things. Thanks for the good wishes and continued good wishes for your recovery.

Brian.

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 10:13

Hi Brian,

I remember how nervous I was before the OP so I know how you feel, I was nervous right up until they collected me for theatre then the nerves just seemed to go away, I just thought this is it no going back now and then I woke up in recovery, you are doing the right thing having a family dinner will help take your mind off it a little, anyway good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you get on as soon as you can,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 07:39

Hi Paul

Just to let you know everything has gone well so far. I have posted more information on Un welcome news by Oxonian on the site, very much hope everything is still going well with you.

Best wishes

Brian.

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 11:14

Hi Brian,

I am glad everything went well, just take it easy and rest, I was supposed to have my clips out today but the practise nurse phoned in sick so now have to go tomorrow, I have been going out for a short walk every day and really feel ok, I have to stop myself from doing too much I have never been one for sitting about,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 12:46

Hi all,

Has anybody had leakage around the catheter where it goes into the penis, I get a little when I walk or go to the toilet, the catheter is draining fine,

Paul

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 14:15
P

The leaking or " by passing" is quite common,it can be uncomfortable when passing a motion.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Oct 2016 at 18:49

Hi Chris,

Still getting quite a bit of by passing, catheter seems to be draining OK filling a bag every hour, its just a pain in the butt,

Paul

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 08:18

Hi Guys,

Well it is now 3 weeks since my OP, feeling OK but still feel tired I don't think I realised what a big OP it was, try to walk every day, I am having my catheter out on Monday can't wait as it is a bloody pain, any tips on when the catheter comes out, I have a stock of pads etc,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 21 Oct 2016 at 16:53
P

As regards having the catheter removed I posted to HH the other day my surgeon is convinced the swift pull on my sticking catheter was the start of my stricture problems.

You could be lucky and be dry from day one. At first you will want to go as soon as the urge comes on, as things progress try to hang on a bit longer before going to the loo. You are probably going to need too retrain the bladder, try to avoid going just in case. I had a Boots urine bottle and a towel and spare briefs for when out in the car,i think I only needed it a couple of times. Standing up from sitting seems to be the most common time to leak along with coughs and sneezing.

A tenna2 pad can hold over 500cc of urine, I had a tenna2 pad inside a snug pair of briefs. I also tested the absorbency of the pad by standing in the shower with a pad in the briefs and let the bladder go.

Stopping mid stream is frowned upon by incontinence nurses but occasionally I would stop mid stream to see how well the sphincter was working.

Hope all goes well

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Oct 2016 at 10:43

Thanks Chris,

I have a good supply of pads etc, I think getting home from the hospital after having the catheter removed is what I am most worried about, can't wait to get it out it has been a right pain, leaking quite a lot I think maybe because it has been in so long, 3 weeks, anyway not long now,

regards

Paul

User
Posted 22 Oct 2016 at 15:50
P

When my RARP catheter was removed I then had to drink water in a controlled way i.e. do not drink all the water in one go. I then had to urinate three times before being allowed home, it has recently been changed to twice. So you Will have some idea how you bladder is leaking or retaining before you leave hospital. I was given pads to wear before I left the hospital. On the down side the water you drank before urinating is still working its way to your bladder. I recall that I leaked getting into the car and getting out but not enough to fill the pad or wet my clothes. I did put a towel on the seat just in case, I only had a twenty minute journey home so not to bad. There may be blood in the urine when you start urinating naturally, I was told rose wine colour is okay red wine colour should be checked.

Remember to relax and do not get anxious about passing urine once the catheter is removed. Do not try to rush things.

Thanks Chris

Added, You will probably have a bladder scan to ensure your bladder is reasonably empty.

Edited by member 22 Oct 2016 at 15:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2016 at 16:16

Thanks for taking time to reply,

regards

Paul

User
Posted 25 Oct 2016 at 09:26

How did you get on Paul with your catheter coming out yesterday? Hope all has gone well for you.
HappyH