Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
123>

Treatment Experiencies

User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 10:15

Hi all, I have posted on here already under just diagnosed scared as hell, I had my bone scan on Tuesday and will get the results Tuesday 9th then I hope I will know what treatment will be offered, I would like to hear what treatments others chose from active surveillence to surgery and what was the reason for choosing that treatment, I know I am jumping the gun a bit but I am just trying to get as much info as possible before I have to choose,
best wishes to you all,

Paul

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 11:53

I was told my Gleason score was 7 (3+4) after my 2nd biopsy. My surgeon (in Spain) talked to me about the options and as my friend had also just been diagnosed with PCa I had a good idea of what I should do. I was told if I went down the RT route it would make removal at a later date very difficult if the RT did not work. My friend was also told this in the UK. I went to a different surgeon to get a second opinion and he said if he had the same results as I did he would 100% have the prostate removed.

I had the op on 17th June and when they examined the removed prostate the Gleason score was 9 (4+5) so in my mind I made the right choice. I have just had my first blood test results which were very good at 0.008 so hopefully, fingers crossed I am doing OK.

I had no pain whatsoever after the op and apart from the Catheter being a complete pain in the butt I had no problems. A little tender at times but nowhere near as bad as I feared pre op.

I think I am slowly getting more control with my incontinence as the pads are less wet day by day. To be dry again is now my biggest challenge. I am back to work and doing anything I wish and today I will try and do a 5k run (may end up walking)

This cancer can be beat and whilst no treatment is nice you will hopefully make the best choice for you and recover fully. You are the only one who can decide what treatment if any is best for you.

Take care and good luck.

Edited by member 08 Aug 2016 at 11:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 10:12

Thanks Chris,

My surgeon also trained in the states, as you say they all have to start somewhere and you do have to put your trust in them, just want to get on with it now, but trying to stay busy and getting on with things,

bets wishes

Paul

User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 08:03

Hi Brian,

The OP itself is OK as you don't feel a thing, I went down at 7.30am and was in recovery at 12.00 so about 4 hours, the biggest problem I had was with gas, but once I had a good fart it was much better, and you can fart anytime and get away with it, I am feeling OK, catheter has not been a problem, stomach hurts a bit from entry wounds but mainly when I cough or sneeze, so one step at a time, I think a little pain is good as it reminds you that you have had a major OP, anyway good luck for you OP any questions please ask,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 10:13

Hi Brian,

I remember how nervous I was before the OP so I know how you feel, I was nervous right up until they collected me for theatre then the nerves just seemed to go away, I just thought this is it no going back now and then I woke up in recovery, you are doing the right thing having a family dinner will help take your mind off it a little, anyway good luck for tomorrow, let me know how you get on as soon as you can,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 25 Oct 2016 at 10:15

Hi Happy H,

The catheter coming out was a breeze I did not really feel it, the worst bit was taking the secure that has been stuck to my leg for 3 weeks, lots of leakage at the moment which is frustrating but just taking one day at a time, going to be expensive buying pads,

Paul

User
Posted 12 Nov 2016 at 15:47

Thanks Tony,

will try doing the exercises that way, will let you know my results when I get them,
bets wishes

Paul

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 09:00
P

If you have a smart phone there is an app called prostate aerobics which is quite useful. It's free on android and a small charge for the OS version.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 13 Nov 2016 at 11:29

Hi Tony,

Another guy from this site told me about an APP you can download if you have a smartphone with Android, it is called prostate aerobics I have downloaded it and it looks very good, you can set a reminder of when to do them and there are lots of different levels,

Paul

User
Posted 07 Dec 2016 at 19:00

Hi all,

I have just had the letter from the follow up appointment after my prostate OP, the final pathology report confirmed T2c Gleason 3+4=7 with negative surgical margins, I think I made the right decision,
happy Christmas and new year to you all

Paul

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 10:37

hi Tony,

Glad to hear the incontinence is improving, I only leak now when out and about or when coughing and sneezing etc, hope all the tests go well for you, my 1st PSA was undetectable next is in March,

have a great christmas and lets hope the new year is a lot better than this has been,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 11:16

Hi Tony,

Seems like we are quite similar in our recovery, my biggest problem is frequency going often, the hospital says it is normal and will settle down, I have to retrain the bladder, don't go overboard with the wine I find alcohol makes the incontinence worse but it is Christmas and I am not going to worry too much about it, hears to good PSA results,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 08 Dec 2016 at 11:35

Hi Tony,

Try de-caff tea, it does not taste that much different and it does make a difference, I am sure we will get back to normal eventually,

best wishes for all your family,

Paul

User
Posted 16 Dec 2016 at 11:53

Hi all,

I have not been on here for a while, it is nearly 3 months since my OP, I am getting on pretty well, continence is much better and getting better daily, the bigger problem is frequency, I am trying bladder retraining which is slow but seems to be working, next appointment with consultant in March so lets hope PSA is still undetectable, anyway I just want to say thankyou to  everybody that helped me when I started out on this journey and to wish you all a great Christmas and hope that next year is better for everybody,

best wishes

Paul

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 14:20

Hi Paul,

PCa is generally a slow developing disease and if this is thought to apply in your case, consultants may well be at ease with your taking quite a time in deciding on your treatment. There are situations where very early intervention will be recommended - where the cancer is believed to be about to break out of the capsule for example.

For some patients, surgeons feel that scans and a biopsy indicate that they stand a good chance of being able to remove all the cancer and sometimes this proves to be the case. However, in the event is sometimes happens that the cancer was more widespread than though and in such cases this may be followed up with RT. (Radiotherapy can be used to attack cancer beyond the bounds that the surgeon can cut. It was for this reason that my urologist, who headed the Multidisciplinary team in my case didn't want to operate and referred me to an oncologist.) So staging and other factors may mean one or more treatments may be ruled out. From a success point of view, there is not a great difference in outcomes between various treatments; what is more important is that treatment is timely and administered in a highly skilled way and in the case of RT using modern and preferably state of art machines. There are small risks with all treatments but more chance of incontinence and early ED with surgery than with RT. However, there is more chance of RT initiating cancers in many years time. RT can be given after surgery but few surgeons will remove a prostate that has previously been largely fried with RT.

I opted for EBRT plus Carbon Ion boost in Germany in 2008 as part of a study having been on HT for 7 months previously. My reason for this was that I was given a greater dose of radiation than I would have received in the UK with virtually all the Carbon Ion element deposited on the cancer. (EBRT deposits some radiation off target). Despite this, cancer was again found in the prostate in late 2015 and this was treated with HIFU in 2016, again within a study. I am presently awaiting results of recent MRI scans. Surgery was ruled out because of my staging. Results may have been similar had I had EBRT in the UK, who knows? But I feel I gave myself the best chance of success at the time having read a lot of papers and discussed with an expert on radiation as a second opinion.

For those that are suitable, Brachytherapy RT using radioactive seeds alone or with supplementary EBRT seems to be becoming more popular and have good results -see this treatment comparison site. Click on your staging and you can then get an idea of the range of treatments. Having said that I have seen other sites that indicate surgery is better for younger men - nothing seems to be straight forward and clear cut. You are an individual and could be at any point on the graph. Remember for instance there are different types of PCa, some more radioresistant than others for example. http://www.pctrf.org/comparing-treatments/

Edited by member 07 Aug 2016 at 14:21  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 20:30

PCa IS generally thought to be a good Cancer to get, if you have to have one, have this one, as it IS GENERALLY assumed to be a slow grower.

Ah, you have cancer but its only PCA, you are lucky.

Not really, not really lucky at all.

For clarity, there is no "GOOD" Cancer to get.

But, what if your cancer is not a slow grower? Of the types frequently referred to as a Pussycat or a Tiger, what if you have a Tiger?

The sad thing is until the gland is looked at in a petri dish, at pathology in a lab, after removal, no one, not you, your GP or your surgeon will know what your staging is.

Cancer waiting and developing and growing is like the part of a rollercoaster ride. The ride starts with the carriage being pulled up the up-slope. Then you get to the point where gravity takes over. The clickety-click stops and you are off, out of control, and running.

No one knows when you reach that point. This your gamble, if you assume you have a slow burner.

Sorry to give a wake up smell the coffee moment, but maybe you need it.

Dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 07 Aug 2016 at 21:03

Hi Paul,

I see you have put some of your stats in another thread (conversation) but have not yet shown these under your profile/bio which is often the first place members look as sometimes it helps to know this information before replying. If it is only put in a thread, over time effectively it can be lost.

Barry
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 07:38

Thanks Barry,

Will post tommorrow when I know more,

Paul

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 09:01

Hello Paul.

You were told not to panic by your consultant so presumably he thinks it's a slowing growing pussycat.

Research well. Don't rush. Be sure of your choice then go for it.

Following a year of Active Surveillance at 73 my husband opted for Low dose seed Brachytherapy as he didn't want to go the surgery route. So far all is well.

Brachytherapy isn't suitable for everyone.

As has already been said any RT has the potential to cause problems further down the line (ie bowel cancer) and the younger you are the greater the risk because you'll likely live long enough to possibly develop it.

Brachytherapy has the same chance of cure as the other methods but please - don't rush into anything. After all, you (and your wife/partner) are going to be the one living with the possible consequences of any of the treatments.

Good luck in your choice. Please let us know what your results were

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 11:53

I was told my Gleason score was 7 (3+4) after my 2nd biopsy. My surgeon (in Spain) talked to me about the options and as my friend had also just been diagnosed with PCa I had a good idea of what I should do. I was told if I went down the RT route it would make removal at a later date very difficult if the RT did not work. My friend was also told this in the UK. I went to a different surgeon to get a second opinion and he said if he had the same results as I did he would 100% have the prostate removed.

I had the op on 17th June and when they examined the removed prostate the Gleason score was 9 (4+5) so in my mind I made the right choice. I have just had my first blood test results which were very good at 0.008 so hopefully, fingers crossed I am doing OK.

I had no pain whatsoever after the op and apart from the Catheter being a complete pain in the butt I had no problems. A little tender at times but nowhere near as bad as I feared pre op.

I think I am slowly getting more control with my incontinence as the pads are less wet day by day. To be dry again is now my biggest challenge. I am back to work and doing anything I wish and today I will try and do a 5k run (may end up walking)

This cancer can be beat and whilst no treatment is nice you will hopefully make the best choice for you and recover fully. You are the only one who can decide what treatment if any is best for you.

Take care and good luck.

Edited by member 08 Aug 2016 at 11:58  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 12:54

Hi Sandra,

What made your husband go for treatment after a year had the cancer started to grow or was he fed up of the stress every time he had a blood test, I must admit I don't know if I could cope with that, I think if I have the option I am leaning towards surgery,

best wishes to all

Paul

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 13:26

Hello again Paul,

No he didn't fret about the cancer, he actually preferred the AS but his PSA rose from 5.7 at diagnosis to 6.7 so rather than wait for it to creep higher he had to make a choice. His last PSA in May showed it down to 0.2

He was 73 ish when he made that choice so older than you are, in fact he is 10 years older than you.

I don't promote Brachytherapy as a treatment because it is important that each man makes his own decision but all information is useful so I hope it helps.

Good luck with your choice

User
Posted 08 Aug 2016 at 16:26

Did he ever change his diet, I have read that giving up dairy can help, also did he decide on the treatment just on the basis of the PSA or did he have another biopsi

Paul

Edited by member 08 Aug 2016 at 19:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 08:36

Hi Dave,

Are you saying that the best way is surgery? you do not say what if any treatment you chose but reading what you have said led me to believe that you had surgery, I must admit if that is an option I am leaning that way, it must be better out, if in doubt cut it out, but we will have to see after meeting with medical oncologist today,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 09 Aug 2016 at 10:26

Paul,

If you click Dave's avatar, then 'profile', you will see he has detailed his histology which shows he had robotic prostatectomy

Barry
User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 00:20

I chose surgery as I wanted it out. However, all of us need to make the choice that best suits from all the information available. I have no regrets, although lack of sex has been the biggest downer.

However, I'm still here to enjoy life, and touch wood, no PSA reading above 0.1 since.

My dad died of PCa last year aged 86, so having witnessed that, I am determined to wring as much out of life as I can.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 10 Aug 2016 at 07:31

I only had 2 options, RT or surgery, after reading a post on this site about a guy who had a gleason of 3+4=7 he had the OP to remove the prostate when they checked it it was gleason 9 so that made up my mind, they don't know the real gleason score until they check it in a lab, sex is great but how can you compare to life itself as it is so short,

best wishes

Paul

User
Posted 13 Aug 2016 at 10:42

Hi all,

Has anybody heard of Hem-o clip migration after robotic prostate surgery, seems to be a complication that nobody tells you about,

Paul

User
Posted 13 Aug 2016 at 20:45

I would check whether these clips might be used in the hospital where you are considering having your prostatectomy and if so whether they would agree not to use them on you if you are concerned about their use. Some people do seem to have experienced migration of one or more of these clips. I doubt very much whether many UK patients know what clips/sutures have been used on them! Here is one story. https://www.cancercompass.com/message-board/message/all,74403,0.htm

Clearly one wants to minimise risk as far as possible. I remember a few years ago there was a celebrity (can't remember his name), whose autopsy showed that a radioactive seed placed during brachytherapy had migrated so there are potential risks in various treatments.

Barry
User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 07:42
Hi

ColwickChris has had this problem... see his profile.

KRO...

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 08:45

I think it comes down to the skill and experience of the surgeon, you should always ask how many OPs he has done, he should have done at least 400, I asked my surgeon he had done 500, 

Paul

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 09:54
P

Your surgeon as all surgeons had to start somewhere, my own surgeon was trained in the southern hemisphere I was about patient 160, some might say that is why I had clip problems. He is described as being a very meticulous surgeon, he also had a wealth of experience in laprascopic surgery before starting Robotic surgery. I am sure you will agree that they do not give surgeons a list of patients a robot and an instruction mannual and say get on with it.

Your guy has the experience and the live histology is going to perform will give you one of the best options of the perfect outcome. Your scores are on the lower side so all will be well.

I did not come onto this site until after my op, I looked at a couple of options and settled on a treatment and then just put my faith in the team I chose.

I told you about the clips because they are rare and few people recognise the symptoms of clip migration,as the link from Barry said "a one in four year patient" we have had two members with clip migration in two and a half years, so we are not due for another one just yet. As Barry's comment, I was not aware these clips are left in as a matter of routine. When I told my GP she suggested a formal complaint to the hospital, so even she did not know about them.

Easy to say just relax and stay positive.

There are some good conversations on tips and a shopping list for your hospital stay and post op requirements, I will try and find the links to them.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 14 Aug 2016 at 10:12

Thanks Chris,

My surgeon also trained in the states, as you say they all have to start somewhere and you do have to put your trust in them, just want to get on with it now, but trying to stay busy and getting on with things,

bets wishes

Paul

User
Posted 20 Aug 2016 at 07:51

Hi all,

I would like to hear about the best ways of looking after your catheter post OP, any help would be most welcome,

Paul

User
Posted 20 Aug 2016 at 13:13

Keep it clean is the main priority, they are quite robust but do be careful not to catch the catheter, it would take alot to pull it out but it is uncomfortable if you accidentally pull it.

Whilst in hospital try too get two extra leg/ thigh straps.

Make sure the catheter is fitted correctly to your leg strap. The fastener should sit in the v of the y joint, many pictures show the fastener only round the pipe, this does not stop the pipe being pulled down.

My morning routine was close leg bag tap remove night bag. Remove straps from leg bag and tuck the tap of the leg back under the thigh strap.

Have a shower and using non scented soap or gel, wash the end of the penis and the first bit of the pipe. If applicable retract the foreskin and wash, remember to pull the foreskin back over the end, if you don't the foreskin can come up like a balloon. Use lube to get it back over and ice or frozen peas to reduce the swelling. A couple of days in and you will get more confidence in feeling and washing the area.

Once I had dried myself I would fit a new/ dry strap to the other leg and transfer the catheter to the other leg refit the dry leg bag straps. Alternating legs is recommended and it means you can dry the leg where the strap was.

Use a bag stand,bucket or bowl for the night bag, a bowl or bucket will save the carpet in the case of accidents.

I did get some stick for this but if you OH is attaching and removing the night bags buy her some disposable gloves and some chocolates or flowers, one suggestion was that marigolds count as flowers.

I wore pyjama bottoms at night to stop any tangles and also straped the night bag pipe around my ankle area to stop the pipe getting pulled out of the leg bag. The pipe should not come out if it is attached correctly.

A small squirt of instilagel or simalar will stop any discomfort at the end of the penis. I wore elasticated pants with short legs, briefs were be too tight and loose boxer shorts did not hold all the bits in place. Instilagel is a lubricant, anaesthetic and antiseptic ,I had a reaction to KY gel.

You may experience "by passing" when passing a motion this is where blood and urine pass between the catheter and the eye of the penis, slightly uncomfortable.

Talking of motions, avoid constipation and no straining to pass the first few motions, it could cause trauma to the urethral anastomosis / urethral joint.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 20 Aug 2016 at 16:03

Thanks Chris,

Looks like it takes quite a bit of getting used to, will try and get everything in place ready, does the hospital supply the bags etc? thanks for taking the time to reply, seems like you wear nappies when you are born and then when you get older, like my daughter said full circle,

Paul

User
Posted 20 Aug 2016 at 17:30
P

Yes hospital supplied all bags etc, the only problem I had was my catheter removal was delayed by one day which left me a night bag short. Fortunately it was only a 10 mile round trip to get another bag. The catheter care is not a major problem,but you will have just had major surgery, only small wounds on the outside but alot has gone off inside.

Have a look at a conversation "swiftly moving on" for some pre op preparation tips.

Added

You are going to be dry within a week no need for nappies, think positive.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 20 Aug 2016 at 18:36  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 01:40

John had two day bags and one night bag - the type he had meant that it was simply emptied down the toilet and then re-used the next night.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 10:50

I have read that instillagel can help stop the catheter rubbing, where can I get it from?

Paul

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 10:59

Amazon sells it among others

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 12:20

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi all,

I would like to hear about the best ways of looking after your catheter post OP, any help would be most welcome,

Paul

Paul...

The hospital should tell you all this and demonstrate it to you. I was given a catheter care sheet and the packs of bags etc also have instructions on use and care.

There is no problem showering and washing as long as you take care - yes make sure you have extra straps.

The bucket idea for retaining the night bag is excellent. Unless you move around a lot in bed then no real need for any other special measures.

KRO...

Edited by member 22 Aug 2016 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 12:51

P

The hospital should give you some instilagel, or get a tube from the chemist about £2.50 -£3.50 a tube it "should" be a one use application. Just to clarify something I refer to day/leg bag and night bag, in reality the day/leg bag connects to the catheter and is stays attached until the catheter removal, the night/bed  bag connects onto the day/leg bag at night and disconnects the in the morning. The day bag should be changed after 7-10 days depending on you hospitals instruction.  My night bags were "one off" use and could only be used for one session, to empty it I had a break off a spigot at the bottom of the bag rendering it unusable for a second time. As Kro said the hospital should show you how to fit the bits together, just get your head round the taps or you could finish up with an over full day bag at night and a wet floor when changing over in the morning.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 19:02

Thanks all,

Just waiting for the OP now , just want to get it over with,

Paul

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 19:27

Hi all,

Has anybody heard of Holmium laser enucleation of prostate followed by RT, could possibly be an option,

Paul

User
Posted 31 Aug 2016 at 20:35

It is not a treatment for PCa - it is a sort of re-bore of the urethra through the prostate to ease urinary problems, a bit like a TURP. It sounds like they want to ease your bladder problems prior to RT to minimise the chance of you going into retention?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 07:36

Thanks, going with the OP anyway but getting nervous, just trying to keep busy,

Paul

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 07:42

How did you all feel prior to surgery, I am getting pretty scared as the time is getting near, I am hoping for a cancellation and they call me in so I don't have much time to think about it, all sorts of thoughts going round in my head,

Paul

User
Posted 01 Sep 2016 at 08:29

Hi,

I felt apprehensive - but not scared.

The week before I had a Cystoscopy to check my bladder and on the same day had my pre-ops - the pre ops nurse was excellent and really made me feel at ease.

On the day I went in with my partner and both the surgeon and the anesthetist explained exactly what was going to happen...before I knew it I was with the anesthetist counting down... and then it was done - 3 hours later I woke up on care unit.

Hope all goes well for you - good luck

KRO...

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 07:54

hi Sandra,

My brother in law had Brachytherapy, how soon after the OP did your oh have a PSA test, my brother in law has got to wait until Nov which is six months after the OP,

Paul

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 08:29

Hi Paul. John's first PSA test after the op in June was in October which we got done through the GP and then we took those results with us to the Royal London in November.

His PSA came down from a high of 6.3 down to 1.8. It has continued to decrease since then and the last one in May this year was still at .02.

Our hospital prefers to have the PSA done locally (and so do we, as it's quicker) and our GP has been willing so far. John's hospital appointments have now  reduced to once a year but we shall still continue to ask the surgery to do a PSA every 6 months just to reassure us and Bart's consultant was fine with that.

Everything has to settle a bit after the procedure otherwise I assume you'd get a false reading due to the stress of the op. If your brother in law is concerned then perhaps he could ask for an interim PSA from the GP and just explain that he needs the reassurance that it is coming down.

Have a look at Kennt's profile. Like me, he kept a sort of diary and I think he marks his PSA's down on that

Edited by member 12 Sep 2016 at 12:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 12 Sep 2016 at 12:27

Thankyou, it seems it is about the same length of time until his first PSA, he is not worried as long as he does not have to go out, he is a funny bloke, sticks rigidly to a daily routine,
my surgery getting near now, 29th, getting nervous

Paul

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 10:19

Hi Guys,

I need some help, it is now 1 week until I go in for my OP, I can't get the feeling out of my head that something will go wrong, I need a kick up the arse or something, everybody says you will be fine but how can anybody know

Paul

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 16:45

Hi Dave,

I week until my op, feeling very nervous, can't get over the feeling of something will go wrong, I need some straight talking, I know you are good for that,

Paul

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 17:40
P

In a week's time your cancer will be in a specimen jar no longer doing you any harm, I imagine we all get different levels of anxiety pre op. Your medical team would not be about to perform surgery on you if they thought you were unsuitable. Stay positive,you WILL be okay.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 21 Sep 2016 at 18:56

Thanks Chris

Paul

User
Posted 23 Sep 2016 at 22:08
Hi Paul.

Your private message box is full... you will need to delete some to receive my response to yours.

KRO...

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 07:45

Hi KRO have deleted my messages,

thanks

Paul

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 08:01

Hi Paul think we all had fears of things going wrong , even when I sat with the surgeon just before my op thinking have i done the right thing , so its normal to have doubts and fears , so onward and upward mate . all the best for your op Andy

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 09:25
Hi Paul, my husband was extremely worried the week before his op it was almost as if the diagnosis had finally got to him. He sought advice from the online community and asked questions he was worried about from the guys who had the op and as ever all were honest and supportive - no subject is barred. He also had a chat with one of the nurse's who helped reassure him. As for me this community is invaluable through good and bad. If you have any questions we can help with just ask. Take care jayne
User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 10:25

Hi Jayne,

my biggest worry apart from something might happen is that they wont get all the cancer and I will have to have RT, if that is the case I might as well of had RT anyway without surgery, I have been close to cancelling the OP,

Paul

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 10:28

Hi Andy,

How long was your OP, I have been told could be up to 10 hours, really hard to put it out of my mind, not getting much sleep which makes things worse

Paul

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 10:50

my op lasted about 4/5 hours. For me the op itself was a walk in the park, no pain whatsoever. I may have been lucky. The catheter was the biggest pain after the op and I was so happy to have it removed. I am incontinent still after 3 months but nowhere near as bad as at first and I feel I will be dry very shortly.

As for not removing all the cancer, that is the same worry with any treatment but I was told if I went down the RT route and it failed removal  would be very difficult and could be impossible.  When My results came back from the prostate exam showing the Gleason score was 9 and not 7 as my biopsy showed I knew I had made the right choice.

3 months post op I am back running, working and doing pretty much as I was before.  I have changed my diet and eat far more fruit and veg and far less meat. I have almost cut all dairy products out of my diet and I feel so much better. I should of done it years ago.

User
Posted 24 Sep 2016 at 11:33

Thanks you have made me feel a bit better, I am not too worried about the catheter or incontinence as I am expecting it, it is just getting to post OP,

Paul