User
Posted 01 Oct 2016 at 20:34
Hallo all,

Wonder if anyone able to offer an opinion,

Brief history

Jan 16,diagnosed early,localised prostate cancer PSA tests 1.8 and 1.6

Feb , confirmed Gleason score 7(3+4)

April, CT scan and start of month course of bicalutamide 150 tabs

April 18,start 6month course of hormones injections(decapeptyl)

May and June one injection per month

July 11th,one 3 month injection

July 27th,start 20 fractions of radiotherapy at higher dose,

Aug24,finish radiotherapy,

Sept 27th,psa test prior to first follow up appointment on October 4th

My dilemma is my PSA result is 0.03, and I don't know whether to be over the moon,or to be cautious as I don't really know enough about how to interpret these results,and i don't have any one educated enough in this field to ask,

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks.

User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 01:59

John,

I would have thought that you would have been told what the medics thought in your case but generally a sub 1 PSA after an HT/RT primary treatment is considered low particularly so soon after RT. Also, RT goes on working for something like up to 24 months so your nadir might well be anything between 6 and 24 months from the end of your RT. However, it is possible that as your PSA is already low now, it may not be lower than the 0.03. If you are still having HT that could also help lower PSA.

You will be having regular PSA tests and although there may be small fluctuations (for several reasons), any significant upward rise over three of these or an unexplained high rise in one may prompt a further consultation. It's a waiting situation unfortunately.

Hope PSA stays low.

Barry
User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 08:14

John

Check my profile. Your PSA is pretty much as mine was after RT - that was a good 11 years ago.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 03 Mar 2017 at 22:38
Just had my second PSA test since completion of treatment last Oct, reading was 0.38, following a reading of 0.03,last Oct (when I'd just completed 6 months hormones treatment)I don't see my oncologist for another week,and I'm concerned to put it mildly, may I ask for any opinions,or advice as I feel similar now to when originally diagnosed, confused, annoyed,and extremely concerned,many thanks in advance.
User
Posted 03 Mar 2017 at 23:10

You came of HT last Oct so a rise is expected. As my profile shows mine did when HT ended.

Ray

User
Posted 04 Mar 2017 at 00:31

Seems like a perfectly good result to me Johntom; did they not explain to you that the HT was creating a false low PSA and it would go up once the hormones were out of your body?

Feel relieved and perhaps treat yourself to a glass of wine :-)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 Mar 2017 at 11:12
Hi John

Thanks for detailed post.

Firstly looks absolutely fine. I have no prostate so like others who have had it removed PSA should be at or very near zero. However you are in a different group now. Ie very unique to you as your prostate will be producing PSA. . Keep dates and value. Maybe a simple graph. .and take advice from gp. Consultant.

My brother starts rt this summer. I had surgery. So our post results are obviously not compatible for reasons above.

Just may sure you get the tests done at the intervals suggested.

All sounds fine. All the best

Gordon