I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Docetaxel Chemo – the highs and the lows

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 08:00

Sorry that you are in hospital David but impressed by Mrs C's devotion to your beer diet (and the niceties of your nostril hair grooming). No wonder you think so highly of her! 

I'm sure she is missing you tons. Meanwhile I hope that you are tutoring fellow patients in the appreciation of MK and the need for occasional WTF/FFS explosions, two improvements in my life that are entirely down to you!

Love

E

x

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 20:56

Infusion 9 Day 14

Back home. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif Oral Aunty B's to take for 1 week. I'm going to be ultra cautious regarding human contact until Tuesday of next week when I shall have my latest bloods results and can confirm my neutros are back to normal levels. I'll also start the long haul of getting my fitness levels back to where they were: 3 gym sessions of about 65 minutes each per week.

Infusion 10 is in the bin. I wasn't able to discuss this directly with my lovely Onco but I was able to discuss it with her right hand woman. She felt that as Infusion 10 will have to be with a reduced dosage then any advantages to be gained by having a partial dose as against no dose would be marginal in the extreme. I feel now that I want to give my body a rest from most medication, particularly steroids, and perhaps for it to go back to feeling 'normal' again for a little while.

Therefore, this thread will come to an end in 8 days time.

I intend to make a few more posts, the first of which will be a brief analysis of the gains and losses of docetaxel treatment together with my overall verdict on whether or not it was worth it.

Edited by member 15 May 2017 at 21:17  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 21:20

Glad to hear your home David

Rest up mate

Don't deny the diagnosis; try to defy the verdict
User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 21:35
As the other half of one that's likely to begin the Docetaxel treatment soon you have been incredibly helpful, thank you so much . My husband is about to undergo scans etc. In order to begin his chemotherapy after five years of hormone treatment. Just one question, I've been looking at thermometers which I know I will need to monitor his temperature there are so many which one did you choose and why?

Thank you again take care

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 21:39

Glad to hear that you are home again David and your adventure with Docataxel is at an end.

The plan must now be to have a proper treatment break if possible to allow you to recover.

All the best

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 21:53

Hi David
So glad your chemo treatment has been relatively bearable. You've been so brave going through with it all and your reporting has been candid yet humourous which is a credit to you. Thanks for providing all to come with a thorough journey through this treatment.
Best wishes on the results and future.
Chris

User
Posted 15 May 2017 at 22:17

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
I've been looking at thermometers which I know I will need to monitor his temperature there are so many which one did you choose and why?

I bought a Boots digital thermometer. It cost £9.99 on 3/11/16. I can't remember why we selected it apart from the fact that Boots felt like the best place to go. I did ask an assistant whether any one particular thermometer was best and she said they were all accurate and recommended the one we bought. It is an under tongue thermometer. We were told that ear thermometers understated your temperature.

User
Posted 16 May 2017 at 21:53

Hi Bluetrew,

I have an electronic ear thermometer and it is excellent.  It takes the temperature in a couple of seconds.  I used to take my temperature at least morning, noon and night.  One evening I took it and it was 38.5 C so I called the hospital and they said come in straight away as I had neutropenic sepsis and was in for 5 days.  It is quite likely if I had a thermometer that took a couple of minutes I would not have taken my temperature often enough and could have been in real trouble.

I hope his chemo goes well, I finished my 6 sessions about 2 months ago- it is taking longer than I expected to get my strength back!  

Best wishes, Gromit.

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 20:22

Infusion 9 Day 16

Back to the hospital today with an elevated temperature. Bloods taken and analysed. Chest X Ray done and the area of concern in the lungs has got worse. So it seems that the Aunty B's I've been on for the last 7 days haven't helped. I now have some new super duper Aunty B's. I hope they work better than the last lot. Bronchoscopy ordered (deep joy!) and CT scan of the lungs.

Now what was it I said about docetaxel being a walk in the park.

And to cap it off no alcohol for the week I'm taking the new Aunty B's and for one week afterwards as well.

User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 21:47
Super duper Aunty Bs and No Alcohol that's a bummer 😜

Life Jim it's not as we know it !

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 17 May 2017 at 23:40

Sorry to here of this temporary setback David,

It really has been like the wheel coming off at the last bend, but at least you finished the race. Good on you.

I'm not sure that our friend Docataxel will be getting quite the complimentary end of treatment report that you otherwise may have given it.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 00:02

Oh rats and double rats! The no beer regime is just the last straw. Do hope that you are back holding up the bar very soon David and that you find some appropriate MK tunes to cheer you through the next fortnight. Here's one (waaaay before your time) to distract you from the demon drink...Frankie Lane and Cool Clear Water: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jj7qab6KC4

E

x

User
Posted 18 May 2017 at 07:59

I'm not sure that our friend Docataxel will be getting quite the complimentary end of treatment report that you otherwise may have given it.

First and foremost I will look to myself before damning docetaxel. On 25/3/17 I wrote:

I don't take my temperature regularly but I do take the advice the hospital gives about potential infection very, very, seriously. Infection can lead to sepsis and that can quickly lead to death or severe, life changing, complications.

The reason I don't take my temperature regularly is that apart from the few crappy days I feel pretty damn well. However, the thermometer goes straight in my mouth if I have any doubt and I'll be straight on the phone if it reads 37C+.

If I have further chemo in the future will I take my temperature regularly however I feel? I'd be an idiot if I didn't.

I won't be rushing to do my final analysis on doectaxel. I will probably wait until the current problems have been overcome and any end of chemo scans have been done.

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 21:07

Infusion 9 Day 19

For the first time in 10 days I feel like I'm actually getting better. I hope this isn't famous last words!

As I reported on Wednesday, the Augmentin (penicillin based) I was on had no effect. Since then I've been taking Co-Trimoxazole and this seems to be working. Just as well it is because I know the doctor I saw was worried about interstitial pneumonia. I didn't know what that meant at the time but when I got home I consulted Dr Google and looked at some research papers.

Interstitial pneumonia is a very rare (I told you I was special !) adverse effect of docetaxel chemo. It has no cure and results in 60% mortality. Ooops!

I see my lovely Onco on Tuesday when hopefully she will be able to confirm I'm on the mend.

Edited by member 20 May 2017 at 21:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 21:24
Good luck for Tue David , I know it seems like it has all gone a bit Pete Tong at the last hurdle but I for one and I am sure there are others who are rooting right behind you

Just to throw a song in ! You have got the MOVE like JAGGER.

Keep on Moving and Grooving .😍

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 20 May 2017 at 21:41

Best wishes David for Tuesday. So glad you're feeling better at last. All quite frightening for you!! So hoping the Chemo has kicked some ass

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 02:43
Glad your feeling better David. Hope all does well Tuesday

Yvonne

User
Posted 21 May 2017 at 10:00

Best wishes for a speedy recovery David,

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 22:46

Best wishes for Tuesday.

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 22:58

Hope you have continued to improve - fingers crossed for tomorrow

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 May 2017 at 23:03

All my bits crossed too David...I'm eating my customary bar of chocolate but have switched from gin to beer in empathy.

Hope you are back on form and grooving to MK again very soon.

Eleanor (Ruth)

xxx

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 15:49
I read this excellent thread in it's entirety yesterday and eagerly await todays news. My thanks to all posters, I'm soon to begin Chemotherapy as Enzalutamide is losing its effectiveness, it is so helpful to be able to read posts from those have walked this road before me. Best Wishes to all........
User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 16:21

Infusion 9 Day 22

This is the first time there has been a day 22, that's because my days on docetaxel are over. My lovely Onco took no persuading, as I expected she had already made the decision.

It was a really good consultation this morning, I came away feeling encouraged if not a little elated. Here's what transpired.

1. I am recovering well from the pneumonia. Therefore, no more Aunty B's after I finish the course tomorrow. No need for a CT scan of the lungs and no need for a Bronchoscopy (Yessssss! Result! I was not looking forward to that baby! They can give you a sedative it seems but I'm an ex-hippy, they'd have needed to drug me up at least as high as the highest high I had back in the summer of lurve in '69 because I'd probably have done a runner when da man said "now ColU, open wide"). A further chest X-Ray will be performed in 4 weeks time.

2. I'm going into a period of no treatment apart from 12 weekly Zoladex. Scans will be done again in August 2017 and my next consultation with my lovely Onco will be at the end of that month. However, I must let her know if I experience new symptoms. Bloods will now be taken every 7 weeks.

3. PSA last time was 4.98. My educated guess for my next reading was 8.5. I'm obviously educationally sub normal. Actual reading was 4.85. Happy, happy, happy.

4. What's she got left in her box of tricks? Cabazitaxel. Mitoxantrone. Stilboestrol. Radium 223. Dexamethasone. Bisphosphonates. Trials.

A good day.

David

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 17:08

This thread draws to it's end. What's left to be done? My final analysis of docetaxel. I was going to leave this until after the scans but that's August, too far away, so I'll do it in the next couple of days. I will also set up my new thread 'From docetaxel to ??? - the interregnum' and post a link from here:

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/posts/t12891-From-docetaxel-to-------the-interregnum#post159593

Edited by member 23 May 2017 at 21:44  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 17:57
Infusion 9 Day 22

PSA last time was 4.98. My educated guess for my next reading was 8.5. I'm obviously educationally sub normal. Actual reading was 4.85. Happy, happy, happy.

What's she got left in her box of tricks?Cabazitaxel.Mitoxantrone. Stilboestrol.Radium 223.Dexamethasone.Bisphosphonates. Trials.

A good day.

David

Good news David. Plenty of options still and a good Chemo holiday to look forward to.

Look forward to contributing to your new thread as this one closes.

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 19:21
That is fantastic news, I'm very happy to hear of your positive results!
User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 21:04

Docetaxel - was it worth it?

We will look at the costs and the benefits. The only way I've got of measuring the benefits is to use PSA as an indicator of whether treatment is working or not. Now we know it is an imperfect measure, PSA can drop but the PCa can still be spreading in the background. However, it's all we've got, if we don't use it then all decisions regarding all treatments are being taken in the dark in the hope that they work but with no way of knowing whether they do until expensive scans are taken. So PSA is what we've got and it is that I will use in defining the benefits.

Costs

1. Hair loss. Not something that bothered me so I consider this a zero cost item.

2. A few crappy days , usually 3, each 21 day cycle. All bearable and thus a low cost item.

3. Peripheral neuropathy, minor in fingers but more marked in toes and feet. Not a pleasant thing but not painful so no pain killers needed. It doesn't affect my ability to walk so it doesn't have a negative impact on my quality of life.

4. Skanky nails, hands and feet. Again not pleasant but not painful so no pain killers needed.

5. Oedema in ankles and feet. Not pleasant but not painful so no pain killers needed.

6. Pneumonia. This has been a substantial cost. Two weeks of feeling pretty bad and quality of life significantly impaired. There will probably be a couple more weeks before I am fully restored.

Benefits

1. My PSA at the start of docetaxel was 26.28. It is reasonable to assume that without docetaxel it would of continued to rise. I can't estimate how far it would have risen but in the 27 weeks I've been on docetaxel it would have been far higher, maybe in the region of 70 to 100. My PSA now is 4.85. During the time on docetaxel, with the exception of the last two weeks, I've maintained a pretty good quality of life.

Conclusion

The benefits outweigh the costs and if I were to be faced with the same choice again I would opt for docetaxel, although I might stop after infusion 8. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 21:50

And that's it, we're all done here.

So in the words of the last episode of the greatest comedy series ever made, M*A*S*H:

"Goodbye, Farewell and Amen."