Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error
12>

From docetaxel to ??? - the interregnum

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 21:39

I have just finished 9 x 21 day cycles of Docetaxel Chemo. I am going to keep a log of my experiences from now, when I am going to have no other treatment than Zoladex, and whenever the next treatment starts. I could keep this as a Word document for my private use but I’ve decided to keep it as a series of posts on this forum. I’m doing this because:

1. It’s just as easy as keeping a private log.

2. I hope that my experiences may help to enable others to make their own judgements regarding what life may hold following Docetaxel Chemo.

3. I can refer friends and relatives to these posts so that they can, if they so wish, see how I am getting on.

David

User
Posted 23 May 2017 at 21:39

I have just finished 9 x 21 day cycles of Docetaxel Chemo. I am going to keep a log of my experiences from now, when I am going to have no other treatment than Zoladex, and whenever the next treatment starts. I could keep this as a Word document for my private use but I’ve decided to keep it as a series of posts on this forum. I’m doing this because:

1. It’s just as easy as keeping a private log.

2. I hope that my experiences may help to enable others to make their own judgements regarding what life may hold following Docetaxel Chemo.

3. I can refer friends and relatives to these posts so that they can, if they so wish, see how I am getting on.

David

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 06:38
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

PSA up from 6.17 to 13.59 in 49 days.
Awaiting appointment with Onco.

We are running neck and neck with our PSA scores David.

My outlook is, I am feeling fine and enjoying life, so what the heck.

I am enjoying being back at work, furthermore because I now have a disabled badge due to my condition I can drive to my work in Victoria through the congestion charge area without paying and park where I like It really is a delight to drive through areas of London with very little traffic around and not having to pay for the pleasure,

I really am looking forward to the journey going forward as I know my Onco still has many tricks up his sleeve.

All the very best wishes to you David

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 06:06

Hi ColU,

See my profile, it has taken me a long time to recover to reasonable fitness. I probably did not do myself any favours by pushing myself too hard early on and becoming dis-heartened.

Cheers,

Pete

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 21:27

David,

I don't seem to be suffering from either Peripheral Neuropathy or Oedema much at all following my 8 cycles of Chemotherapy, so am unable to comment on recovery times.

I don't know how you are, but I still feel a bit lethargic some 2 months following the completion of Chemo.

I saw my Onco today. My PSA has gone up a bit from completion of Chemo ( to 1.9 from 1.1), but my testosterone is still low at 0.5.

Onco seems pleased and we will monitor the PSA before doing another scan.

Onco advises that next step once the PSA goes beyond 10 (yes that is ten) will be Zytiga coupled with the Zoladex that I already take.

So the journey continues.

All the best wishes to you in your recovery David.

Regards

Dave

"Incurable cancer does not mean it is untreatable and does not mean it is terminal either"
User
Posted 09 Jun 2017 at 23:08
Co I can totally understand your feelings as Trevor is also suffering from side affects of treatments the old phrase ! It's Life Jim but not as we know it ! Comes to mind .

You can do this you can get through it .

Lashings of love

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 18:29

Hi David, how is your PSA doing?

Unfortunately mine has jumped up to 13.3 some 3 months following completion of Chemo. Otherwise everything else is fine and dandy.

Will be having further scans in September to check on progress, but my chemo holiday may be coming to an end soon.

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 12:08

At long last I feel I'm on the mend from the pneumonia.11 weeks stumbling around like a right old git but the last 6 days have seen a slow but sustained improvement. I'm coughing much less, I'm feeling stronger, my walking range is increasing (I managed to play a whole hour of croquet on Monday without needing to sit down at regular intervals, woop woop), the breathlessness has reduced and beer is tasting better than it's tasted in quite a while. Still quite a way to go before I'll be back in the gym but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oedema and peripheral neuropathy, no change, however I'm hopeful that increasing exercise will see off the oedema and even if I'm stuck with the peripheral neuropathy that my increasing sense of well being will make it seem not as bad as it has been.

CT scan and bloods including PSA next week. Once the Onco has got the CT results she will be calling me in for a consultation.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 23:52
So just getting your name right D A V I D 😂 I think that's Welsh for David 😁

Also my brothers name but everyone calls him Tommo 😳 and that's a whole different story / but I am sure I will tell it at some point in my journey.

I told you small steps would lead to bigger steps and here you are playing potato croquettes absolutely fantastic , keep going with those vegetables is all I can say it won't be long before you are tossing a banana over the fence .🤗

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 23:58

Good for you George! I'd go easy on the banana tossing though... might be ok for Trevor and Julie but they are in a league of their own.

Take care. Sip the beer slowly.

Ruth

x

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 22:21
Sugar that is not what I wanted to read and not what you wanted to hear. Cluck that PSA .

If it makes you feel any better Trevor had a 300 increase in 2 weeks .

This morning he was washed and dressed at 7.45 when i asked what appointment he had he said " I am going to work " I thought here we go he has totally lost it now he has been retired for 7 years .

It turns out because I am renovating my utility room ( trust me I am a dab hand with a drill and a bit of 2 be 2 ) anyway he still hadn't poked his head round the door by 2.45 and the thought did cross my mind that if he was an apprentice I would have sacked him by know but hey I suppose the thought was there .

That's my man you see and that's my message don't ever be defeated that is how Trevor survives , he might not be able to achieve what he thinks he can , but he believes he can.

X

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 10:40

Hi David
Sorry to here your recovery is taking longer than you hoped. I totally agree that is the unknowns that can play on our minds and get us down. You are such a positive person and I'm sure you will soon be back on form. My OH has severe lymphedema but I cannot use his situation to offer any advice to you because his situation is very different to yours. I just wanted to wish you well.
Yvonne

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 09:30

I think you're right, it needs time. I can't remember though whether you have been referred to an oedema nurse? Or does your local hospice have a list of qualified oedema masseurs? Really important that people with cancer don't just go to any old massage provider but time sometimes needs a little help.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 19:24
Ok so not brilliant news on the PSA rise but this disease is so darn weird. Trevor has had rise on rise for 2 years and then one month without treatment and it halves 🙃

I am saying this because this crazy roller coaster ride likes to flip us around a bit one minute you are up and the next minute you are down .

Good news on the scan results and as the Wiz would say that is more important than what the PSA is doing .

Trevor had pneumonia a couple of years ago and that also turned to Sepsis so I suppose we have just had round two with that one . Small steps CO you will get there , just take small steps and suddenly the small steps turn into bigger steps without you even noticing .

Love that you are still enjoying your music. 💗

Remember small steps X

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 13:51

You certainly seem to be moving in the right direction. You've had. Very rough time. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 16:00

Glad to see that you are finally feeling a bit more like your old self Col x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 16:29

Hi Colin
All going in the right direction and well done for facing it all. Enjoy the rest of summer

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 17:00

Pleased to hear that at long last you are starting to improve from your pneumonia. All the best for the tests next week and hope you get some answers when the results are back. Take care.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 19:10

Good news David

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 08:57
I thought you were Colin or Chester!!!

I'm from Essex so I should know the answer!

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 22:57
Great to hear of such a fab improvement, Col/Ches/David!

It's such a relief to hear you are on the up, fingers crossed the blinking cancer got the message too.

Love

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 12:26

Sorry to hear that David... hope the appointment is rapid and that your onco has some useful answers. And hope that you are continuing your recovery from the pneumonia and that the beer remedy is proving its worth. Such a lot to handle though.

Thinking of you.

Ruth

x

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 12:42
Also sorry to hear that. Hope you're appointment wait isn't long. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 13:35

Sorry to hear the rise in PSA, Hopefully someone can come up with a treatment that works for you. As my husband is halfway through Chemo I'm very interested in what treatment plans they come up with for you. Best wishes.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 15:07
Sorry to hear your latest results David, especially after what you've been through in the treatment process.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 19 Aug 2017 at 09:10

That's my man you see and that's my message don't ever be defeated that is how Trevor survives , he might not be able to achieve what he thinks he can , but he believes he can.

Good advice Julie, thank you, I'll try hard to follow it.

I had a morale boost yesterday. I played in the quarter final of a croquet competition at my club. Since May I've only been able to play the occasional game and become exhausted very quickly. Yesterday's game was a 3 hour one. I whacked my opponent 26-2! That felt good.

Had a crap night last night though as my lower back reacted to the exertion. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

You wins some and you looses some.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 16:40

David,

My next Onco visit is also on 5/9/17, so we will be able to exchange notes.

I have none of the side effects you had to go through but my PSA is neck and neck with yours

All the very best wishes to us both

Dave

User
Posted 05 Sep 2017 at 22:50

Sounds like a good plan. I think localised RT for pain relief can work well, hope this does for your shoulder. Hope you get some improvement!

User
Posted 05 Sep 2017 at 23:03

Hi David

All the very best..

Gordon - Devon

User
Posted 05 Sep 2017 at 23:11
Hi David,

Or in Welsh DAVID , I can't praise Raduim 223 highly enough it has worked so well for Trevor it has been shamazing and he has a similar problem in his shoulder and has kept the ALP on a level since Christmas.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 05 Sep 2017 at 23:25

Fingers crossed for you Col x

User
Posted 05 Sep 2017 at 23:36

Sending you best wishes and hope it works. My husband so far is finding HT and Chemo is keeping his pain levels right down but for how long. So watching your posts with interest.

User
Posted 06 Sep 2017 at 19:06

Mrs_C and I saw the Onco today. The PCa in the left shoulder has progressed and is the reason for the increasing pain and incapacity of the shoulder. The other bone metastases are unchanged. My Onco hopes that the rising PSA is down to the shoulder and that alone. She has ordered RT to the shoulder, 5 sessions over 2 weeks because my lungs still show some inflammation from the pneumonia and she doesn't want to risk damaging them. She confirmed that the scans did not show any honeycombing of the bones and thus she felt there was no risk of bones breaking. A further PSA test is to be done between 3.5 and 4 weeks after the last shot of RT and we see her again on 31 October 2017. So the, maybe optimistic, hope is:

1. The RT stabilises and maybe lessens the shoulder pain.

2. Zapping the PCa in the shoulder causes the PSA to fall back.

She is also actively considering Radium 223 treatment.

David,

I too saw my Oncologist yesterday, but had a different outcome to yourself.

He started by commenting on how well I was looking which was countered by my commenting that I was not suffering really at all.

He then presented me with the news that although my testosterone was still low, my PSA had now jumped to 35.9, so he needs to know what is going on before our next plan of action. Well *!*! said I

So now, for the 3rd time, I am going to experience the delights of the super duper PSMA PET / Prostate Scanner. This is happening this Wednesday then I see him a week on Tuesday to find out the plan going forward.

The annoying thing is that he knows how well I react to Chemotherapy, so that is definitely one of the tricks up his sleeve still.

So much for our long and fruitful Chemo holiday David

All the very best wishes to you David and long may our journey continue.

Dave

User
Posted 06 Sep 2017 at 20:25

David,

I am a recent member of this "club". I just wanted to say that your posts regarding your journey have been so very useful and inspirational to me as I start my own battles. The advice you have laid out helped to prepare me for the Chemo (although I forgot the pineapple on the day and my taste buds have paid the price!).
I wish you all the very best and although the journey continues I hope that it is a long and manageable one for you and yours!

User
Posted 19 Sep 2017 at 23:19
I hope they come up with an acceptable treatment path for you David

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 20 Sep 2017 at 21:53
David ,

Trevor did brilliantly on the Raduim 223 and is still having good relults 6?months on . It helped with pain and mobility I have only got good things to say about it .

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 11:25

Dave,

Sorry to hear that but I can see why your Onco wants to put you on chemo again whilst you are asymptomatic and still physically strong enough to deal with it. Abbi or Enzo can be kept for a later date as can Radium 223.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 16:50
Dave

Whatever treatment you get I Hope it all works out for you, as your "strap line" has been a source of inspiration for me since February.

All the best----J.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 16:54
David

I too echo everyone's thoughts and hope that any new treatment regime brings you some additional relief.

All the best

J.

User
Posted 21 Sep 2017 at 19:13
Dave, I echo the last few replies. Hope you get positive results from the next phase of treatment. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 25 Sep 2017 at 18:51

So I now know the ??? in the title of this thread will become Radium 223. Therefore, I will shortly create a new thread where I will document the highs and lows of Radium 223. The first infusion of a maximum of six will be on 10/10/17. Thereafter 4 weekly with bloods at the end of the second week.

User
Posted 25 Sep 2017 at 19:08

Colin 

Just a quick word,

good luck

Barry

User
Posted 25 Sep 2017 at 19:31

David,

Met with my Onco on Tuesday for the results of my PSMA PET Scan.

This scanner really does pick up every pin prick.

So, I have couple of spots (I mean less than 1mm) in areas not wanted and my bone mets and lung mets have increased during my wonderful 5 month Chemo holiday.

So that holiday is now at an abrupt end and I am looking forward to a further 4 - 6 cycles of Docetaxel commencing on Wednesday. Onco may change it to Caza depending how I go

I have that feeling when I was in the queue, (many, many years ago) for the Space Mountain ride at Disneyland Paris.

Bring it on I say!

The journey continues.

Regards

Dave

Good luck Dave

Barry

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 19:36
So Mr D it's Raduim 223,

I have only got good words to say about it and Trevor is living proof of that .

They give you a really nice leaflet of dos and don't s the treatment is over in minutes so that's no Biggie .

Trevor felt a bit sick after his first treatment but after that it was a breeze .

The below advice is only for about a week after that you can piddle on who you like , but always refer to your leaflet . 🤗

Yes you will be radioactive for awhile so .

No kissing or weeing on pregnant women ( hopefully that bit will be easy) 😄

Any dribbles on the toilet seet need to be cleaned asap ( all normal rituals for any man living in my house) 😂

Separate washing of clothes

Oh and thank you so much for your lamb recipe ( I love it and Trevor wants me to try it ) I will report back on how much he has enjoyed it because unfortunately that's the the other thing with Raduim 223 , you can't eat lamb for at least 6 months after the end of treatment. 😘

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 19:43

unfortunately that's the the other thing with Raduim 223 , you can't eat lamb for at least 6 months after the end of treatment. 😘

Oooooooo, you little fibber you.

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 21:44
Hi Col

John has had two infusions of Radium 223. It's easy enough to manage the toilet habits for the few days afterwards, even with an SPC. He has definitely been unwell in the first week afterwards, and lots of tummy troubles, which is fairly common. He has had some increase in pain but has not needed to take much extra painkillers, but then he's so stoic his pain needs to be about nine before he'll take being other than paracetamol. PSA is shooting up (42) but nothing is yet being done about that as they focus on other bloods, such as ALP and another specific reading I'd never previously heard of. Good luck, it has great results apparently, so fingers crossed for those of us on this bit of the journey.

Love Devonmaid

User
Posted 28 Sep 2017 at 19:27
Who is Mr Average that's what I would want to know and is he partial to lamb .

Seriously Trevor didn't really have any drops in PSA which was to be expected the Raduim only targets the bones but the cancer in the bones also excretes some PSA because it is still prostate cancer .

Dm is right other bloods are more important especially ALP which is the bone marker and the same with the first 2 weeks on the first treatment where a bit rough but after that Trevor found it plain sailing .

He said the Geiger counter after each treatment was a bit worrying but as normal when you get used to it it's ok .

BFN

Julie X

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 May 2017 at 08:27

Good idea David

I must admit that I use John's profile on here to keep track of dates and appointments as well as hoping that I can refer others to it for information

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 24 May 2017 at 08:30

A brief recap on where I am. Diagnosed with advanced PCa in July 2013. Commenced Zoladex and still on it to this day. Bicalutamide, Enzalutamide and Docetaxel chemo all administered and done their jobs until PCa got smart and overcame them. However, that's 46 months now since diagnosis so all I can say about my medics is "didn't they do well?".

I hope this thread will run for a long, long, time. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif I will report on:

1. any changes to my condition

2. results of scans and bloods

3. any changes to the side effects I'm left with after Docetaxel namely Hair loss, Peripheral neuropathy, Skanky nails, Oedema in ankles and feet.

User
Posted 24 May 2017 at 12:08

David,

I too completed my Docataxel treatment (8no cycles completed on 11th April) Drug wise I am on 3 monthly Zoladex injections, daily Tamsulosin, daily Omerprazole and most recently a weekly done of a Bisphosphic drug called Alendronic Acid ( to strengthen bones) I also suffer from mild radiation Proctitis, so I take Predsol for that.

I see my Onco in early June and am curious to see where the journey leads next.

Kind regards

Dave

User
Posted 03 Jun 2017 at 16:09

Update time.

Recovery from the pneumonia seems to be a very slow process. The problem is I haven't had it before and have no idea what to expect. How long is the normal recovery time? Can one expect to return to the same level of aerobic fitness as before? Keeping a positive mental attitude is a challenge when there are these unknowns.

As far as side effects of docetaxel are concerned, recovery from hair loss and skanky nails I'm not bothered about, they will happen with time. However, there is no change in Peripheral neuropathy and Oedema in ankles and feet. Do any of you who have had docetaxel and have experienced Peripheral neuropathy and/or Oedema have any idea when I might expect to see some positive changes in these areas?

User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 06:06

Hi ColU,

See my profile, it has taken me a long time to recover to reasonable fitness. I probably did not do myself any favours by pushing myself too hard early on and becoming dis-heartened.

Cheers,

Pete

User
Posted 04 Jun 2017 at 10:40

Hi David
Sorry to here your recovery is taking longer than you hoped. I totally agree that is the unknowns that can play on our minds and get us down. You are such a positive person and I'm sure you will soon be back on form. My OH has severe lymphedema but I cannot use his situation to offer any advice to you because his situation is very different to yours. I just wanted to wish you well.
Yvonne

User
Posted 06 Jun 2017 at 21:27

David,

I don't seem to be suffering from either Peripheral Neuropathy or Oedema much at all following my 8 cycles of Chemotherapy, so am unable to comment on recovery times.

I don't know how you are, but I still feel a bit lethargic some 2 months following the completion of Chemo.

I saw my Onco today. My PSA has gone up a bit from completion of Chemo ( to 1.9 from 1.1), but my testosterone is still low at 0.5.

Onco seems pleased and we will monitor the PSA before doing another scan.

Onco advises that next step once the PSA goes beyond 10 (yes that is ten) will be Zytiga coupled with the Zoladex that I already take.

So the journey continues.

All the best wishes to you in your recovery David.

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 19:16

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to see my GP on Monday in order to try to understand what reasonable expectations should be for recovery from Pneumonia, Peripheral neuropathy and Oedema in ankles and feet. One things for certain, if the way I feel now becomes my 'new normal' then there's no way I'll be having any future chemo since I think this would result in such a poor quality of life as to be unacceptable. I realise this could mean a severe reduction in treatment options.

Hopefully, more positive updates will follow soon.

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 19:34

Wishing you further recovery as soon as possible. It's horrible to think that treatments designed to help you can make you so ill in other ways. That's why I rejected RT even though some men float through it. Not for me , no sir-ee.
Take care

User
Posted 08 Jun 2017 at 20:07

That's the risk we take Chris. Roll the dice and chance your luck, it works for some but not for others.

User
Posted 09 Jun 2017 at 23:08
Co I can totally understand your feelings as Trevor is also suffering from side affects of treatments the old phrase ! It's Life Jim but not as we know it ! Comes to mind .

You can do this you can get through it .

Lashings of love

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 09:14

Results of GP's appointment. Pneumonia typically takes 6 weeks to 3 months to recover from for those with no pre-existing complications. So for me it may take longer. The peripheral neuropathy and oedema may well seem worse since the body is now fighting the pneumonia and, in my layman's understanding, has diverted resources away from dealing with the neuropathy and oedema.

What can I do? Accept I have to take it easy. Over exerting myself will make the pneumonia worse not better. Patience. Believe. Take plenty of liquid including the odd beer. It will improve with time.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 09:30

I think you're right, it needs time. I can't remember though whether you have been referred to an oedema nurse? Or does your local hospice have a list of qualified oedema masseurs? Really important that people with cancer don't just go to any old massage provider but time sometimes needs a little help.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 09:52

I can't remember though whether you have been referred to an oedema nurse? Or does your local hospice have a list of qualified oedema masseurs? Really important that people with cancer don't just go to any old massage provider but time sometimes needs a little help.

I haven't been so referred. I'm hoping that my oedema is a side effect of docetaxel and prednisolone, it is a known side effect of both of them, and thus it will disappear with time. If it doesn't I'll certainly seek a referral. It is worth noting that prior to the pneumonia, the neuropathy and oedema were not really that much of a bother to me. It's only since the pneumonia they seem to have got worse. Therefore, logic says, recover from pneumonia and they should feel better; we will see.

User
Posted 14 Jun 2017 at 11:41

Great to see you are on the mend David.

All the very best

Dave

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 13:38

PSA up from 4.85 to 6.17 in 29 days.

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 14:48
David, you must be gutted by that news. Are you feeling any better from the pneumonia, oedema and peripheral neuropathy?

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 15:23

Allison,

Not really. I know from reading on here and from knowing a couple of other people who had advanced PCa that late chemo will normally at best arrest the progress of the PCa for the period you are on chemo but the PCa, as measured by the PSA, will take off again a couple of months after the chemo finishes. So it wasn't unexpected.

As far as the pneumonia, oedema and peripheral neuropathy are concerned, maybe I'm just starting to recover from the pneumonia but I've had so many false dawns on that front in the last few weeks that I'm counting no clucking birds. Oedema and peripheral neuropathy, no change.

However, having watched the Killers on the box at Glasto last night (they raised the roof off the tent of the John Peel stage), I'm now watching it again on the iPlayer and I'm transported away from my day to day cares. Music is a wonderful pain killer and a morale lifter. I'll be watching Lisa Hanningan next, she also did a great set at Glasto. If you haven't heard of her, click the link below and prepare to be wowed by the most beautiful voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyXmp-FiPJo

David

Edited by member 26 Jun 2017 at 15:23  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 18:21

PSA still much lower than it was before Chemo, so that is good David.

Any idea if they will do a scan to see what the positive signs of the Chemo were.

All the best in your continued recovery David .

Regards

Dave

User
Posted 26 Jun 2017 at 19:25

Any idea if they will do a scan to see what the positive signs of the Chemo were.

I've been having increasing discomfort from my left shoulder so my Onco decided she wanted a nuclear medicine bone scan. This was done last Wednesday together with an X-ray of my lungs last Monday to see whether the pneumonia is improving. I am awaiting the results.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 11:53

Finally (sigh) got the results from the bone scan and X-ray.

The bone scan "shows no sign of any new disease and indeed the areas that show up on the latest scan have not changed from previously".

My chest X-ray "shows the changes in your left lung have improved in the lower and mid zones and your right lung is clear". It is now 10 weeks to the day since I was diagnosed with pneumonia. I'm still coughing. I'm still short of breath. I've started to play croquet again but can only manage an hour or so whereas pre-pneumonia I could play all day. Ability to walk far is still limited and thoughts of returning to the gym are a distant pipe dream. So a small improvement but heaven knows how long it will be before I feel 'right' again.

The chest X-ray "shows abnormality of the texture of the bones around your left shoulder" so this no doubt explains my left shoulder pain and lack of function. Whether anything can be done about it I won't know till I next see my Onco in August.

Oedema and peripheral neuropathy, no change.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Poeple, listen to me, if you are on chemo you don't want to contract pneumonia. Do whatever you can to avoid it like the plague. Otherwise, like me, you may live to regret it.

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 12:44
A good warning, I think many people believe they have to be "normal" or "brave" and carry on as before when going through chemo but in reality they need to care for themselves. One of my favourite people on here (Martini for those who remember him), was a wonderful man, died from and infection during chemo. Don't underestimate how dangerous it can be. I think so many people say that prostate cancer chemo (doxataxel) is a breeze, that they are lulled into a false sense of security.

Hoping things continue to improve for you.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 18:29

Hi David, how is your PSA doing?

Unfortunately mine has jumped up to 13.3 some 3 months following completion of Chemo. Otherwise everything else is fine and dandy.

Will be having further scans in September to check on progress, but my chemo holiday may be coming to an end soon.

All the best

Dave

User
Posted 19 Jul 2017 at 19:24
Ok so not brilliant news on the PSA rise but this disease is so darn weird. Trevor has had rise on rise for 2 years and then one month without treatment and it halves 🙃

I am saying this because this crazy roller coaster ride likes to flip us around a bit one minute you are up and the next minute you are down .

Good news on the scan results and as the Wiz would say that is more important than what the PSA is doing .

Trevor had pneumonia a couple of years ago and that also turned to Sepsis so I suppose we have just had round two with that one . Small steps CO you will get there , just take small steps and suddenly the small steps turn into bigger steps without you even noticing .

Love that you are still enjoying your music. 💗

Remember small steps X

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 12:08

At long last I feel I'm on the mend from the pneumonia.11 weeks stumbling around like a right old git but the last 6 days have seen a slow but sustained improvement. I'm coughing much less, I'm feeling stronger, my walking range is increasing (I managed to play a whole hour of croquet on Monday without needing to sit down at regular intervals, woop woop), the breathlessness has reduced and beer is tasting better than it's tasted in quite a while. Still quite a way to go before I'll be back in the gym but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Oedema and peripheral neuropathy, no change, however I'm hopeful that increasing exercise will see off the oedema and even if I'm stuck with the peripheral neuropathy that my increasing sense of well being will make it seem not as bad as it has been.

CT scan and bloods including PSA next week. Once the Onco has got the CT results she will be calling me in for a consultation.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 13:51

You certainly seem to be moving in the right direction. You've had. Very rough time. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 16:00

Glad to see that you are finally feeling a bit more like your old self Col x

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 16:29

Hi Colin
All going in the right direction and well done for facing it all. Enjoy the rest of summer

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 17:00

Pleased to hear that at long last you are starting to improve from your pneumonia. All the best for the tests next week and hope you get some answers when the results are back. Take care.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 17:07

Who's this Colin bloke? He seems to be impersonating me. A doppleganger. He's going to get a slap when I get my hands on him.

The last time Dodgy007 signed in to this site was 11 May 2017 20:26:28 so I fear you may not be getting an answer any time soon Clare.

There's another one as well! This Chris bod. A slap is on the cards for him as well.

There's one thing I have to say for Colin and Chris. They must be damn good looking beggars.

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 02 Aug 2017 at 17:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 19:10

Good news David

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 19:35

Believe me , a slap is the last thing I need in life right now. Apologies ok

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 20:17

Believe me , a slap is the last thing I need in life right now. Apologies ok

You misunderstand me Chris. I was merely trying to be amusing about sometimes being referred to by names other than my actual name.

User
Posted 02 Aug 2017 at 23:52
So just getting your name right D A V I D 😂 I think that's Welsh for David 😁

Also my brothers name but everyone calls him Tommo 😳 and that's a whole different story / but I am sure I will tell it at some point in my journey.

I told you small steps would lead to bigger steps and here you are playing potato croquettes absolutely fantastic , keep going with those vegetables is all I can say it won't be long before you are tossing a banana over the fence .🤗

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 07:44

I told you small steps would lead to bigger steps

Same say, "In God we trust". I say, "In Julie I trust".

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 08:57

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 09:33

LOL, nice one. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 22:57
Great to hear of such a fab improvement, Col/Ches/David!

It's such a relief to hear you are on the up, fingers crossed the blinking cancer got the message too.

Love

Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 03 Aug 2017 at 23:58

Good for you George! I'd go easy on the banana tossing though... might be ok for Trevor and Julie but they are in a league of their own.

Take care. Sip the beer slowly.

Ruth

x

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 11:44

Edited by member 17 Aug 2017 at 11:46  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 12:26

Sorry to hear that David... hope the appointment is rapid and that your onco has some useful answers. And hope that you are continuing your recovery from the pneumonia and that the beer remedy is proving its worth. Such a lot to handle though.

Thinking of you.

Ruth

x

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 12:42
Also sorry to hear that. Hope you're appointment wait isn't long. Best wishes, Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 13:35

Sorry to hear the rise in PSA, Hopefully someone can come up with a treatment that works for you. As my husband is halfway through Chemo I'm very interested in what treatment plans they come up with for you. Best wishes.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2017 at 15:07
Sorry to hear your latest results David, especially after what you've been through in the treatment process.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 06:38

We are running neck and neck with our PSA scores David.

My outlook is, I am feeling fine and enjoying life, so what the heck.

I am enjoying being back at work, furthermore because I now have a disabled badge due to my condition I can drive to my work in Victoria through the congestion charge area without paying and park where I like It really is a delight to drive through areas of London with very little traffic around and not having to pay for the pleasure,

I really am looking forward to the journey going forward as I know my Onco still has many tricks up his sleeve.

All the very best wishes to you David

Dave

User
Posted 18 Aug 2017 at 22:21
Sugar that is not what I wanted to read and not what you wanted to hear. Cluck that PSA .

If it makes you feel any better Trevor had a 300 increase in 2 weeks .

This morning he was washed and dressed at 7.45 when i asked what appointment he had he said " I am going to work " I thought here we go he has totally lost it now he has been retired for 7 years .

It turns out because I am renovating my utility room ( trust me I am a dab hand with a drill and a bit of 2 be 2 ) anyway he still hadn't poked his head round the door by 2.45 and the thought did cross my mind that if he was an apprentice I would have sacked him by know but hey I suppose the thought was there .

X

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 19 Aug 2017 at 09:10

Good advice Julie, thank you, I'll try hard to follow it.

I had a morale boost yesterday. I played in the quarter final of a croquet competition at my club. Since May I've only been able to play the occasional game and become exhausted very quickly. Yesterday's game was a 3 hour one. I whacked my opponent 26-2! That felt good.

Had a crap night last night though as my lower back reacted to the exertion. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

You wins some and you looses some.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 09:09

Onco appointment arranged for 5/9/17. The ??? in the title of this thread may be determined at that appointment.

Current status. Up sides. Recovery from pneumonia continues. My walking range continues to improve. I whacked another opponent 22-0 at croquet last week, happy days. I will be making my first foray in four months to the gym on Friday. A very gentle start in the hope of slowly building up towards where I was fitness wise.

Down sides. My left shoulder continues to deteriorate, I hope my Onco has a solution. Oedema and peripheral neuropathy, no change. And, of course, the PSA rise.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2017 at 16:40

David,

My next Onco visit is also on 5/9/17, so we will be able to exchange notes.

I have none of the side effects you had to go through but my PSA is neck and neck with yours

All the very best wishes to us both

Dave