I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Post surgery incontinence

User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 07:12

Had RP surgery by da Vinci Robot on 12 Dec at Royal Surrey hospital, Guildford. Excellent care & treatment throughout. Was informed that everything went well & was discharged 24 hours later. As no doubt everyone on this forum has incontinence worries I was no exception, so my subsequent experience is a welcome relief.

I had a Suprapubic catheter inserted during the op which although uncomfortable was perfectly manageable. Closed the valve 8 days post-op as instructed & within about 15 minutes started to pee through the normal channel & was able to control the flow immediately. With the exception of a bout of sneezing that day I was 'dry'. Catheter was removed the following day (post-op + 9) & I've remained dry so far with daily improvements on flow rate & comfort. Whether carrying out the pelvic floor exercises from day 1 (3 months prior) was a major factor & helped, I'm unsure, but I believe they certainly did.

I don't know if my procedure is commonly practised within the NHS but it's certainly worked in every aspect for me & I have the highest regard for the surgeon & his team for their work on me.

Best wishes for Xmas & all the best for the New Year to all on the forum

Nick

User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 10:18

Merry Christmas to you too Nick and I'm pleased for you.

Not every man gets such a successful outcome so quickly and your news will no doubt cheer up and encourage quite few of them.

Keep well

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 18:20
Nick

Great news on the continence, I have not heard of any other guys on here having the same procedure, but a bit of delving reveals it has been around for quite a few years and reports good results.

When I suggested my own quick return to continence was down to 4 months of PFEs pre op, my wife said "so nothing to do with the skills of your surgeon then".

Am I right to assume you had no uncomfortable by passing and spasms that is common with urethral catheters.

Hope your recovery continues.

Thanks Chris
User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 18:39
Nick

I got my catheter removed on Tuesday. I've been fairly dry since then. I've dripped a bit and leaked a bit and my flow rate feels unusual, but I certainly haven't wet myself. So I'm reasonably happy thus far.

However, something really weird happened today and it freaked me out. I was on the phone to my GP right away - it's a small village practice and he's brilliant. I have coffee ground urine. My urine varies from grape juice red to dark brown. Worse than that, all these specks of what looked like coffee grains came pouring out. It just looked like coffee from the percolator. Pretty scary to me - he gave me more antibiotics.

Walter
User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 19:24

Could that not be as a result of old blood from the op coming out?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 21:28
Johsan

That's exactly what it is, but when you're not expecting it, it comes as a shock.

Otherwise, feeling well.

W