Notification

Error
12>

Plan B. radium plus dexamethasone

User
Posted 12 Jan 2017 at 19:39

Hi All

More expert advice needed please...

We're on to Plan B: subsection 47c. Bone mets have spread and PSA on the rise so onco is suggesting Radium 233 plus (probably) dexamethasone. Says likelihood of side effects is slight and this will hopefully prolong life, minimise bone pain (not that he has any at present) and give the bone mets a bit of a kicking. If that doesn't help we'll give Abi or Enzo a try.

We have a couple of weeks to think about it before we see him face to face on 26th and make a decision.

I know that Yorkhull has had a good experience with dexa but is there anyone out there who has had the Radium / dexa combination? I'd sort of thought that Radium was generally used after Abi/Enzo but if the oncologist is suggesting this option he probably knows best. Nonetheless it would be good to hear your thoughts...

Thanks as usual. You are wonderful, collectively and individually.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 19:29

You don't know the half of it Eleanor!

You wouldn't believe the anguished howls following the extraction of a few eyebrow hairs. What a wuss! And all this personal grooming was done at his request in an effort to look younger!

I should also point out that my resemblance to Laurence Olivier is about as close as David's resemblance to Dustin Hoffman - and David is 6 foot 5!

Anyway, one up side of the chemo is that none of the bits that used to require attention are as hirsute as they used to be so the need for such personal services is thankfully much reduced.

Linda

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:43

Eleanor, hide the bottle in next door's recycling bin and give the dexa a little more time, fat lady isn't singing yet because she is behind the sofa with the gin

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 15:01

Plan B continues to go awry!

Bone pain increasing, sleepless nights and numb legs so on Saturday we rang various people who rang various people who got the message confused and, 7 hours after the original phone call, upgraded us to a blue-light emergency. Cue excited neighbours, irritated ambulance drivers and, eventually, a morphine prescription which did the trick as far as the bone pain was concerned but it seems to have taken my OH's brain away and left a small damp ball of cotton wool in its place.

Bit better Sunday - up to two small damp balls (I've just realised that I'm heading for oooo-er-Matron / Carry on up the Prostate territory here so will stop that metaphor immediately!) and bone pain more manageable.

Follow up calls from lovely hospice nurse and from the cancer hospital and then from the onco today wanting my OH to go in overnight and have another MRI scan tomorrow. Unsurprisingly he declined the offer so he's been told to up the Dexamethasone dose from 0.5 to 4mg immediately, and take another 4mg tomorrow morning. Then off for the scan in the afternoon.

And even more excitement from my brother (who has Amyloidosis Myeloma and a host of complications) who collapsed yesterday and ended up in a chair in A&E most of the night. Back home now and ok. I've passed the remains of the gin bottle on to my sister-in-law.

Oh to be bored witless, sitting around in a fog of tedium with nothing to do except watch the rain and pluck stray nostril hair.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 18:09

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

with nothing to do except watch the rain and pluck stray nostril hair.

OMG Eleanor, plucking stray nostril hair, that is so 19th century!

What you need is a personal trimmer. Mrs_C has one and uses it to remove the hairy bits from my ears, trim my eyebrows but only after she's ripped out the grey ones with tweezers (she's got some 19C in her) and then tackles my nasal hair.

Now the first two of these treatments I can tolerate but then she gets a strange look in her eyes. Mrs_C can be quite scary. I've noticed that when she gets to my nasal hair she starts to give a passable resemblance to Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man. Come to think of it I've never seen Mrs_C and Laurence Olivier in the same room, could they be one and the same? Anyway, Mrs_C seems to think my nasal hair is rooted some two inches up my nostrils and proceeds to attack the source of the problem with a vengeance. I get worried that she's going to perform a sinus widening operation without the use of anesthetic and shrink back in my chair. Mrs_C growls "come here you, sit still, it won't hurt". At least, so far, she hasn't said "Is it Safe?".

Edited by member 06 Feb 2017 at 18:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 22:45
Oh Eleanor,

This post is almost a replica of where we were at Xmas and I can feel your panic and worry . Fast forward one month with the second infusion down and the slow relaease morphine well and truly kicking in and we are up and running so don't give up just yet.

Over Xmas I was pretty much where you are i.e. Thinking the fat lady is about to sing , wobbly legs , fuzzy head , no energy, lack of appetite, and that was just me 😉 Only joking.

Keep going this pca journey has so many twists and turns so many times I have wanted to say stop the bus I want to get of but we cant unfortunately we have a one way ticket and the return is a single.

4 years in May for our Cancerversay so as Trevor would say ! It's life Jim but not as we know it !

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 23:56

Eleanor, you are doing just great even if it feels like you are wading through treacle. Don't forget to look after yourself in the midst of all this; someone has to care for the carer and Julie is a terrible role model in this respect. Fingers crossed that you see an upturn soon x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 08:48

Great news that your OH is improving Eleanor - long may it continue.

Regarding the nostril hair, as far as David is concerned, pre-chemo my main area of concentration was the eyebrows - some of the offending hairs were of a size and direction of growth as to offer a comfortable perch for a medium-sized robin. Not a good look! Unfortunately these also had the biggest roots and thus caused the loudest yelps on removal. 'Man up' I said - 'women do this all the time without all this fuss and you look 10 years younger.' (Slight exaggeration but anything for a quiet life.) Anyway, he's always happy with the results as he preens if the mirror - and the robins have nowhere to land.

My ministrations are not needed at the moment but I won't be at all unhappy if, post chemo, they become necessary again.

Linda

User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 20:03

It's definitely a different approach Eleanor. You've got an Onco that thinks and doesn't just go by the same old, same old, treatment regime. It sounds good to me and gives me great hope for a positive outcome. Plus you still have Abi/Enzo when and if necessary.

Got 'em all crossed for you.

David

User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 21:32

Hi Eleanor - I agree with David. I think it's really positive that you have a proactive oncologist who is willing to look at different useful options rather than just stick to routine prescribing. Keeping everything crossed x

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 19:04

Hello Eleanor,

my (82 yr old G9 with bone mets) husband just had 1st shot of Radium 223 last Thursday in Seattle.He had no noticeable side effects and his blood work will be done weekly for total 6 times hopefully.

He has been very fatigued since November because of medications. Level 1 pain around holidays but gone now (maybeXgeva and Xofigo working now

I hope his signature will post with this quick reply . I have read a lot on this worthwhile website but am a novice at posting. He has a Radiation oncologist and general Medical (not prostate) oncologist.

Take care and I hope treatment goes well for David.
Anniee

1934;11/11 4.0; 6/12 5.3 ~7/12 T2bN0M010/12-12/12, IMRT;2/13-2/15 Lupron; 9/6/16 T6-10; L3,pelvis, 9/16start zytiga

User
Posted 26 Jan 2017 at 21:04

I hope this treatment plan goes well Eleanor.

David

User
Posted 27 Jan 2017 at 14:02

Hi Steven

Hope your meeting with the consultant goes well...

Here are the key papers I read:

http://pcri.org/insights-blog/2016/7/8/xofigo-radium-223-an-overview

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00259-015-3189-0

Plus there are a number of related papers on the Springer site above, links on the right hand side of the main page:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26381776

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445785/

Couldn't find anything specifically about the Radium / Dexa combination...let me know if you do!

Good luck.

Eleanor

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 15:12

Hi Eleanor

It's 12 o'clock somewhere.....

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 16:10

There's still time for the Dexys Midnight Runners to work their magic Eleanor. I've pasted below a subset of Yorkhull's bio, (the emboldening is mine):

"9.3.16
Saw oncologist today. PSA up slightly to 53.75 but that is only a rise of 5. So decided to keep enzalutimide and chemotherapy in the box for post May. tO support the pains and aches I have had and to have something if the tumour flare returns I have a course if steroids (dexamethasone) ready to use if I need it. So happy with this!

Started taking steroid (1 mg dexamethosone) on 22.3.16 and it has had such a positive effect on my general health. Aches and pains disappeared and my troublesome right leg has settled down completely. Less fatigued and my head is so clear and this has enabled me to complete lots of writing projects.
Now today (3.5.16) PSA down to 19.57, an amazing drop. So steroids to continue for another eight weeks when further assessment of the need to move on to enzo will be considered. Best onco visit for over a year!"

I've got 'em all crossed for you both.

David

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 16:50

It's what I'm here for my dear. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 21:43
Oh Eleanor ,

The comfort blanket and a bottle of gin is on its way I will even lend my red dressing gown if you need it ( just shout ). From one very frazzled wife to another ! Keep your chin up Chuck.

We have had rise on rise with the PSA for what seems like ever in fact probably well over a year, I have just updated our bio if you want to take a look , this disease is a erm just trying to find the right words . The phrase Head Cluck comes to mind but I won't say that just in case I get Nominated 😂

I am just about to update and my advise is keep on trucking because 4 weeks ago I thought we were Over and Out and the difference a few weeks has made has been incredible.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 15:54

And my story goes on, now PSA down to 3.74 with no enzo or anything else at ,east until March check -up sonalready have a year's respite with dexomethosone. As julie says things get bad and then a few weeks on they can improve. Uncertain paths but stick in there.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 19:10

Many thanks Paul. As I recall, you were one of the first people to respond to my original frantic request for 'stories of hope' last year. Brilliant that you are still hanging on in there and providing them!

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 16:32

Oh Eleanor, I love your wit. Lets face it, humour is something that can help keep us sane in difficult times. As my dear old Mum used to say, although not in the context of coping with incurable disease:

"I'd rather make you laugh than make you cry".

The one good thing I've taken from your post is that all the various medics seem to be right on the ball in trying to help diagnose and treat the problem.

I hope you have better news soon.

David

Edited by member 06 Feb 2017 at 16:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 18:31

Blimey! I thought I was bad enough!

I've cut John's hair for the last 47 years (the last time he went to the barbers was the day before we got married) and as he's got older his eyebrows have become "hairier" in that they have very long wiry hair growing randomly and the outside of his ears are also hairier

My payment now for the haircut is that I am allowed to trim off the long random hairs on his eyebrows as well as those horrible stiff ones growing from his ears!!

I do at least leave his nose hair alone!!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 19:06

Strikes me you need the occasional reign of terror to keep you in check! And it's probably better than her having a passing resemblance to John Hurt in Elephant Man.

Ex

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 00:04

Too late! I am already using her as a role model. If I can work out how to customise my profile picture I'll post a shot of my hairy legs - grown in her honour.

But seriously, you lot are looking after me beautifully Lyn...makes such a massive difference.

E

x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:09

Hoorah! It's not spinal chord compression so we can all relax again and get back to the nostril plucking (assisted by Mrs C's impressive array of techniques).

There's an inflammation on the spine and some shifting of something or the other, perhaps due to the bone mets or maybe general wear and tear, but it's nothing serious (a relative term I guess!). The morphine has sorted the bone pain and the steroid dose has been upped from 0.5 to 4mg per day to deal with the inflammation itself. That's lead to my OH being massively alert and massively dopey all at the same time. Strangely endearing (provided it doesn't last too long).

And we might just make it to the pub tonight. Thanks for your cheering support you lovely people.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:45
Oh wow Eleanor,

So happy to read this, its almost a mirage image of Trevor's last month ( minus the nose hair) . Trevor has just had infusion no 3 today .

So so happy for you both ! Yay let's break out the gin!

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 23:26

Brilliant

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 04:43

There are some truly exceptional men on this site. Well done Eleanor

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 07:05

As Tony the Tiger says:

Greaaaat!

User
Posted 09 Feb 2017 at 16:31

Hi Eleanor

I've finally been able to get back on to the website properly.  For some reason it just wouldn't accept my password.  Anyway - Ive caught up properly now on your horrible roller coaster from the last couple of weeks. I'm so glad things have calmed down a bit now - you have both really been through the mill. Hope the gin is taking the edge off ! x

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 11:47

Eleanor,

I'm so sorry to hear of hubby's continuing troubles. Re the sickness, I doubt there is anything I'm going to say that won't already have been tried, but, just in case:

1. I take Ondansetron for three days per 21 day chemo cycle. I've never felt sick. It's a bar steward at binding you up but a combination of Laxido and Dulcolax has sorted out that problem.

2. I was given Metoclopramide to take as a backup anti sickness if needed. I've never had to take one so I've no idea how good they are or aren't.

I really hope the medics manage to sort this for hubby, he deserves to have some good days to counter balance the crap ones.

David

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 20:50

Oh Eleanor this all sounds horribly familiar! Have you tried phoning the hospice nurse yourself? I was driven to do this while David was at the hospital having his blood and the nurse arranged to come and visit. He (the nurse) looked at the whole situation and did a major rejig of the medication. A regular double dose of metaclopramide and normacol sorted the constipation, nausea and lack of appetite. Along with an increased dose of MST David was a different person within a couple of days.

Once you've got him sorted you could take up knitting the long hairs up into a handy blanket?

Take care and big hugs

Rosy xx 

User
Posted 20 Feb 2017 at 21:20
Pets at Home do a good line in hamsters Eleanor but to be honest I think it would probably chew the blanket. I only know about the Hamsters because of Rita she is our Jack Russel , long story short we had a rat that was getting into our kitchen and despite my horror and our best efforts to catch it , it was a pretty canny rat and managed to out wit my best efforts at trapping it.. I couldn't bare the thought of it so and having to deal with a rat and cancer just pushed me over the edge. So in a mad panic moment I thought I know a Jack Russel ( they kill rats don't they ) . Well it turns out No they don't apparently you have to train them so after a lot of googling you put a rat in a dustbin and then add a Jack Russel 😱. So Trevor went to pets at home to purchase a rat but and there is always a but he came back and said " I couldn't do it they have all got names Julie " so hence I have got a useless Jack Russel and they only thing she has managed to kill is the remote control and that's how he knows they have Hamsters in Pets at Home.😜

Just in case you wondered we managed to catch the rat in a trap with a piece of jerk chicken ( it was obviously Jamaican) and then drowned it ( ouch)

Sorry I have got nothing useful to add re the sickness only where to buy a good hamster. 🤓

Trevor is getting sickness most mornings he does take lanzaprasol which seems to settle his tummy he was only actually sick for the first few days on the Raduim and now it is just a queezy feeling .

So sorry to hear that things are tough again , I have said it before and will probably say it again " This Clucking Disease " is so hard at times. Keep your chin up.

BFN

Julie X

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 12 Jan 2017 at 21:17

How interesting - presumably radium 223 targeting the bone mets while the dexa is systemically attacking ALL of the PCa. It sounds exciting and optimistic - the only caution might be to clarify whether the onco is suggesting it because he really thinks you need a different route to usual OR is it part of a trial or personal experiment?

User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 00:04

Like the sound of that - exciting AND optimistic is something we haven't had too much of recently! Pre the recent scan the onco had been suggesting Enzo or Abi so I'm assuming that this is a straightforward professional opinion based on these specific results. Don't think it's part of a trial but I'll check. He confirmed your suggestion - Radium to target the bone mets and dexa as a pincer movement to keep it all under control. How DO you know all this stuff Lyn? Amazing!

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 20:03

It's definitely a different approach Eleanor. You've got an Onco that thinks and doesn't just go by the same old, same old, treatment regime. It sounds good to me and gives me great hope for a positive outcome. Plus you still have Abi/Enzo when and if necessary.

Got 'em all crossed for you.

David

User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 21:32

Hi Eleanor - I agree with David. I think it's really positive that you have a proactive oncologist who is willing to look at different useful options rather than just stick to routine prescribing. Keeping everything crossed x

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 19:04

Hello Eleanor,

my (82 yr old G9 with bone mets) husband just had 1st shot of Radium 223 last Thursday in Seattle.He had no noticeable side effects and his blood work will be done weekly for total 6 times hopefully.

He has been very fatigued since November because of medications. Level 1 pain around holidays but gone now (maybeXgeva and Xofigo working now

I hope his signature will post with this quick reply . I have read a lot on this worthwhile website but am a novice at posting. He has a Radiation oncologist and general Medical (not prostate) oncologist.

Take care and I hope treatment goes well for David.
Anniee

1934;11/11 4.0; 6/12 5.3 ~7/12 T2bN0M010/12-12/12, IMRT;2/13-2/15 Lupron; 9/6/16 T6-10; L3,pelvis, 9/16start zytiga

User
Posted 24 Jan 2017 at 19:09

Thanks so much for replying Anniee - what will be will be but it's such a help to hear positive stories from others in this situation. Hope your husband continues to do well on this new treatment. Do keep in touch.

Best wishes

Eleanor

User
Posted 26 Jan 2017 at 20:14

An update in case others are contemplating radium treatment (with or without dexa, abi or enzo). I'll let you know how we get on once the treatment is underway but thought it might be helpful to pass on the info we had from the consultant today.

He's suggested 6 injections of Radium 223 (monthly) plus a low dose of Dexamethasone alongside the HT treatment. This is stage 2 treatment for PCa with lymph spread and multiple bone mets: the chemo/HT combo (as per the original Stampede trial) has lowered the PSA to some extent (470 > 42 but then a steady rise to the current level of 80) but the bone mets have continued to spread.

We asked the consultant why he felt this treatment would be preferable to Abi/Enzo which appears to be the usual second line of defence. He said that there's insufficient evidence to be emphatic about which route to take first but that he favoured something that would specifically target the bones before we reached a more critical, painful stage, both for quality of life reasons but also because there was a greater chance that this would extend life expectancy. To deal with the cancer as a whole, and possibly to slow down the spread, he suggested that the more active Dexamethasone (in a low dose) would have more impact than Prednisolone which my OH has been taking. The combination also produces very few side effects. He's following the lead of the Royal Marsden who use Radium 223 where there's been bone spread and poor response to the previous treatments. Abi/Enzo will be kept in the tool box to be added in or substituted if necessary.

Other than the fact that we will have to travel 90 minutes each way to receive the treatment, this all seems straightforward and manageable. And positive (under the circumstances). Will keep you updated...the treatment will probably start in 3-4 weeks.

Onward we go...

User
Posted 26 Jan 2017 at 21:04

I hope this treatment plan goes well Eleanor.

David

User
Posted 27 Jan 2017 at 12:37

HI Eleanor,

Thanks for keeping the site update and will be watching on update.

Ive mets in bones and finished Chemo the start of last year which brought PSA down from 394 to 2.3. Unfortunately the PSA is rising as from Dec. latest results are 10.3 and have the onco on Tuesday. I will be looking into the research on this branch of treatment and will be asking him questions. Do you have any threads to the research?

Steven

User
Posted 27 Jan 2017 at 14:02

Hi Steven

Hope your meeting with the consultant goes well...

Here are the key papers I read:

http://pcri.org/insights-blog/2016/7/8/xofigo-radium-223-an-overview

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs00259-015-3189-0

Plus there are a number of related papers on the Springer site above, links on the right hand side of the main page:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26381776

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4445785/

Couldn't find anything specifically about the Radium / Dexa combination...let me know if you do!

Good luck.

Eleanor

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 14:55

Not a cheering update unfortunately...my OH started on the Dexamethasone last Friday and has been referred for the Radium treatment - to start within the next few weeks we hope. Early days I know but he's been feeling very unwell and thoroughly wiped out with increased bone pains and a continuation of the sickness he's had for the past 13 months. I just rang through to get his updated PSA (taken last Thursday) and it's jumped from 80 to 142 in just one month.

So worrying. We'd just started to come to terms with the fact that the chemo hadn't really worked, and that he was castrate resistant, but were hoping that maybe the Dexa/Radium combo would be effective. It still might of course, but it's hard to stay positive under the circumstances.

And then there's the state of the world and my disappearing waistline. And it's raining. Is it too early to start on the gin do you think?

E

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 15:12

Hi Eleanor

It's 12 o'clock somewhere.....

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 15:29

So it is! Thanks Tom. When the kids find me snoring behind the sofa with the empty bottle at my feet I'll tell them it was your fault.

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 16:10

There's still time for the Dexys Midnight Runners to work their magic Eleanor. I've pasted below a subset of Yorkhull's bio, (the emboldening is mine):

"9.3.16
Saw oncologist today. PSA up slightly to 53.75 but that is only a rise of 5. So decided to keep enzalutimide and chemotherapy in the box for post May. tO support the pains and aches I have had and to have something if the tumour flare returns I have a course if steroids (dexamethasone) ready to use if I need it. So happy with this!

Started taking steroid (1 mg dexamethosone) on 22.3.16 and it has had such a positive effect on my general health. Aches and pains disappeared and my troublesome right leg has settled down completely. Less fatigued and my head is so clear and this has enabled me to complete lots of writing projects.
Now today (3.5.16) PSA down to 19.57, an amazing drop. So steroids to continue for another eight weeks when further assessment of the need to move on to enzo will be considered. Best onco visit for over a year!"

I've got 'em all crossed for you both.

David

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 16:24

Just what I needed David (along with the gin). Thanks so much for tracking this down and re-posting. I had read it a while back but my brain tends to seize up at moments like this.

E

x

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 16:50

It's what I'm here for my dear. http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 21:43
Oh Eleanor ,

The comfort blanket and a bottle of gin is on its way I will even lend my red dressing gown if you need it ( just shout ). From one very frazzled wife to another ! Keep your chin up Chuck.

We have had rise on rise with the PSA for what seems like ever in fact probably well over a year, I have just updated our bio if you want to take a look , this disease is a erm just trying to find the right words . The phrase Head Cluck comes to mind but I won't say that just in case I get Nominated 😂

I am just about to update and my advise is keep on trucking because 4 weeks ago I thought we were Over and Out and the difference a few weeks has made has been incredible.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 22:08

Oh Julie - you are such a joy. I hereby nominate you for a Golden Frazzle Award (first class) for massive loveliness in the face of endless head clucks.

Hope does spring eternal somehow doesn't it? My OH is so amazing (when he's not being completely infuriating) and he managed to enjoy the soup I made him for tea (his appetite is poor because of feeling sick all the time), and he said his nausea has dropped from level 8 to level 5 this evening, and he managed to go on a short cycle ride up several ridiculously steep hills, and now he fancies a pint. So that's lifted my spirits immensely. Bloody hero he is.

And so are you!

Love

E

x

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 23:43

Eleanor, hide the bottle in next door's recycling bin and give the dexa a little more time, fat lady isn't singing yet because she is behind the sofa with the gin

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 07:33

That's my boy!

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 15:54

And my story goes on, now PSA down to 3.74 with no enzo or anything else at ,east until March check -up sonalready have a year's respite with dexomethosone. As julie says things get bad and then a few weeks on they can improve. Uncertain paths but stick in there.

User
Posted 02 Feb 2017 at 19:10

Many thanks Paul. As I recall, you were one of the first people to respond to my original frantic request for 'stories of hope' last year. Brilliant that you are still hanging on in there and providing them!

Cheers

Eleanor

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 15:01

Plan B continues to go awry!

Bone pain increasing, sleepless nights and numb legs so on Saturday we rang various people who rang various people who got the message confused and, 7 hours after the original phone call, upgraded us to a blue-light emergency. Cue excited neighbours, irritated ambulance drivers and, eventually, a morphine prescription which did the trick as far as the bone pain was concerned but it seems to have taken my OH's brain away and left a small damp ball of cotton wool in its place.

Bit better Sunday - up to two small damp balls (I've just realised that I'm heading for oooo-er-Matron / Carry on up the Prostate territory here so will stop that metaphor immediately!) and bone pain more manageable.

Follow up calls from lovely hospice nurse and from the cancer hospital and then from the onco today wanting my OH to go in overnight and have another MRI scan tomorrow. Unsurprisingly he declined the offer so he's been told to up the Dexamethasone dose from 0.5 to 4mg immediately, and take another 4mg tomorrow morning. Then off for the scan in the afternoon.

And even more excitement from my brother (who has Amyloidosis Myeloma and a host of complications) who collapsed yesterday and ended up in a chair in A&E most of the night. Back home now and ok. I've passed the remains of the gin bottle on to my sister-in-law.

Oh to be bored witless, sitting around in a fog of tedium with nothing to do except watch the rain and pluck stray nostril hair.

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 16:32

Oh Eleanor, I love your wit. Lets face it, humour is something that can help keep us sane in difficult times. As my dear old Mum used to say, although not in the context of coping with incurable disease:

"I'd rather make you laugh than make you cry".

The one good thing I've taken from your post is that all the various medics seem to be right on the ball in trying to help diagnose and treat the problem.

I hope you have better news soon.

David

Edited by member 06 Feb 2017 at 16:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 18:09

with nothing to do except watch the rain and pluck stray nostril hair.

OMG Eleanor, plucking stray nostril hair, that is so 19th century!

What you need is a personal trimmer. Mrs_C has one and uses it to remove the hairy bits from my ears, trim my eyebrows but only after she's ripped out the grey ones with tweezers (she's got some 19C in her) and then tackles my nasal hair.

Now the first two of these treatments I can tolerate but then she gets a strange look in her eyes. Mrs_C can be quite scary. I've noticed that when she gets to my nasal hair she starts to give a passable resemblance to Laurence Olivier in Marathon Man. Come to think of it I've never seen Mrs_C and Laurence Olivier in the same room, could they be one and the same? Anyway, Mrs_C seems to think my nasal hair is rooted some two inches up my nostrils and proceeds to attack the source of the problem with a vengeance. I get worried that she's going to perform a sinus widening operation without the use of anesthetic and shrink back in my chair. Mrs_C growls "come here you, sit still, it won't hurt". At least, so far, she hasn't said "Is it Safe?".

Edited by member 06 Feb 2017 at 18:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 18:31

Blimey! I thought I was bad enough!

I've cut John's hair for the last 47 years (the last time he went to the barbers was the day before we got married) and as he's got older his eyebrows have become "hairier" in that they have very long wiry hair growing randomly and the outside of his ears are also hairier

My payment now for the haircut is that I am allowed to trim off the long random hairs on his eyebrows as well as those horrible stiff ones growing from his ears!!

I do at least leave his nose hair alone!!

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 19:06

Strikes me you need the occasional reign of terror to keep you in check! And it's probably better than her having a passing resemblance to John Hurt in Elephant Man.

Ex

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 19:29

You don't know the half of it Eleanor!

You wouldn't believe the anguished howls following the extraction of a few eyebrow hairs. What a wuss! And all this personal grooming was done at his request in an effort to look younger!

I should also point out that my resemblance to Laurence Olivier is about as close as David's resemblance to Dustin Hoffman - and David is 6 foot 5!

Anyway, one up side of the chemo is that none of the bits that used to require attention are as hirsute as they used to be so the need for such personal services is thankfully much reduced.

Linda

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 21:14

As I suspected! You are clearly a saint...http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 22:45
Oh Eleanor,

This post is almost a replica of where we were at Xmas and I can feel your panic and worry . Fast forward one month with the second infusion down and the slow relaease morphine well and truly kicking in and we are up and running so don't give up just yet.

Over Xmas I was pretty much where you are i.e. Thinking the fat lady is about to sing , wobbly legs , fuzzy head , no energy, lack of appetite, and that was just me 😉 Only joking.

Keep going this pca journey has so many twists and turns so many times I have wanted to say stop the bus I want to get of but we cant unfortunately we have a one way ticket and the return is a single.

4 years in May for our Cancerversay so as Trevor would say ! It's life Jim but not as we know it !

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 23:52

Hirsute .... great word Linda, and supreme wifely efforts. Respect!

User
Posted 06 Feb 2017 at 23:56

Eleanor, you are doing just great even if it feels like you are wading through treacle. Don't forget to look after yourself in the midst of all this; someone has to care for the carer and Julie is a terrible role model in this respect. Fingers crossed that you see an upturn soon x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 00:04

Too late! I am already using her as a role model. If I can work out how to customise my profile picture I'll post a shot of my hairy legs - grown in her honour.

But seriously, you lot are looking after me beautifully Lyn...makes such a massive difference.

E

x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 19:09

Hoorah! It's not spinal chord compression so we can all relax again and get back to the nostril plucking (assisted by Mrs C's impressive array of techniques).

There's an inflammation on the spine and some shifting of something or the other, perhaps due to the bone mets or maybe general wear and tear, but it's nothing serious (a relative term I guess!). The morphine has sorted the bone pain and the steroid dose has been upped from 0.5 to 4mg per day to deal with the inflammation itself. That's lead to my OH being massively alert and massively dopey all at the same time. Strangely endearing (provided it doesn't last too long).

And we might just make it to the pub tonight. Thanks for your cheering support you lovely people.

Eleanor

x

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 22:45
Oh wow Eleanor,

So happy to read this, its almost a mirage image of Trevor's last month ( minus the nose hair) . Trevor has just had infusion no 3 today .

So so happy for you both ! Yay let's break out the gin!

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 23:26

Brilliant

User
Posted 07 Feb 2017 at 23:54

Already broken and drunken! Will do it again tomorrow in a toast to all of us.

E

x

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 04:43

There are some truly exceptional men on this site. Well done Eleanor

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 07:05

As Tony the Tiger says:

Greaaaat!

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 08:48

Regarding the nostril hair, as far as David is concerned, pre-chemo my main area of concentration was the eyebrows - some of the offending hairs were of a size and direction of growth as to offer a comfortable perch for a medium-sized robin. Not a good look! Unfortunately these also had the biggest roots and thus caused the loudest yelps on removal. 'Man up' I said - 'women do this all the time without all this fuss and you look 10 years younger.' (Slight exaggeration but anything for a quiet life.) Anyway, he's always happy with the results as he preens if the mirror - and the robins have nowhere to land.

My ministrations are not needed at the moment but I won't be at all unhappy if, post chemo, they become necessary again.

Linda

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 09:44

Already broken and drunken! Will do it again tomorrow in a toast to all of us.

I realise that this sounds like it's me and him 'broken and drunken' and in fact we were well and just a bit squiffy - a reply to Julie's suggestion that we 'break out the gin'!

Maybe I need to add more tonic.

E

User
Posted 08 Feb 2017 at 09:51

Linda

I do know what you mean. I don't pluck though.  As I said previously, Cutting them off is my reward for cutting his hair but it definitely makes a difference to the look.  

John's added hairs though are the result of age I would think. Certainly not treatment

User
Posted 09 Feb 2017 at 16:31

Hi Eleanor

I've finally been able to get back on to the website properly.  For some reason it just wouldn't accept my password.  Anyway - Ive caught up properly now on your horrible roller coaster from the last couple of weeks. I'm so glad things have calmed down a bit now - you have both really been through the mill. Hope the gin is taking the edge off ! x

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 01:12

Well we're on to Plan D subset 53j now it appears. Might have changed again on Monday of course. Certainly no possibility of boredom in this household and my OH's nostril hairs are now long enough to plait. Lord knows when we'll get back to his grooming routine...

After the heady jollifications of my last post things started to go downhill again.

When the MRI showed that he didn't have SCC, everyone breathed such a sigh of relief that no-one thought to do anything about the inflammation so that continued to get worse. Ditto the bone pain and weakness which spread from the back across the whole pelvis and groin. That led to various out-of-hours panic calls last weekend and then another call to the Oncologist to ask what the hell was going on / not going on. And that led to us going in for a lumbar scan and that led to a radiotherapy appointment to try to deal with the misaligned vertebrae since the bones are too fragile to operate on.

That night he was doubled up in agony...we poured tons of morphine down him to no avail so phoned O-O-H for advice. They wanted us to go to A&E. Needless to say he didn't want to! Tried to sleep (fat chance) and phoned O-O-H at 3.00 and eventually the doctor came out at 5.30 and gave him an injection of slow-release pain killer which thankfully allowed him to get to sleep.

Had the RT the next afternoon but they forgot to give him a pre-dose of anti-sickness so he started retching up immediately after. By the time we got a prescription from the nurse the hospital pharmacy was shut and we couldn't find a pharmacy anywhere that had the anti-sickness drug she had prescribed. So we were tearing round in the rush-hour with him being thoroughly sick in to one of those grey cardboard sick-bowls and me cutting people up and switching lanes and getting pinker and crosser - a female Jeremy Clarkson. In the end we phoned the hospital and they brought the pharmacist back in from home and we drove back to get the b****y tablets. There must be an easier way.

Since then he's felt rubbish. Bone pain is ok but the morphine and steroids are making him confused and low and tired and he still feels sick. Basically he's been feeling rubbish in one way or another for 15 months, with very little let-up. Throughout it all he's continuing to be so courageous but right now it feels like he's running out of hope.

And the Radium treatment is off the cards for the moment - I think they are going to try the Abi/Enzo hormone route to try to strengthen the bones. But still no progress on dealing with the sickness which is a constant companion.

As Julie put it - this disease is a head clucker.

E

x

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 02:11

El, where is your hospice nurse in all this? They are usually the best at getting all the pain meds balanced correctly :-(

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 09:13

Hi Lyn

Think things keep changing so rapidly that no-one is quite keeping up. She does phone us regularly but if my OH answers he always says everything is fine (argg!). The hospital have now given him slow-release morphine which seems to be keeping the pain under control right now.

The more constant problem is the feeling of sickness that nothing has ever shifted. Plus the constipation and confusion and weak legs and all the other delights that go with PCa/PCa treatment. We see the onco on Thursday but I don't think either of us are particularly hopeful.

Probably need a good dose of the grandchildren - or the gin.

E

x

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 11:47

Eleanor,

I'm so sorry to hear of hubby's continuing troubles. Re the sickness, I doubt there is anything I'm going to say that won't already have been tried, but, just in case:

1. I take Ondansetron for three days per 21 day chemo cycle. I've never felt sick. It's a bar steward at binding you up but a combination of Laxido and Dulcolax has sorted out that problem.

2. I was given Metoclopramide to take as a backup anti sickness if needed. I've never had to take one so I've no idea how good they are or aren't.

I really hope the medics manage to sort this for hubby, he deserves to have some good days to counter balance the crap ones.

David

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 19:37

Thanks David - for the good wishes and the suggestion of Dulcolax which is the one thing he hasn't tried yet. A sorted out bum would definitely be a step in the right direction!

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 20:50

Oh Eleanor this all sounds horribly familiar! Have you tried phoning the hospice nurse yourself? I was driven to do this while David was at the hospital having his blood and the nurse arranged to come and visit. He (the nurse) looked at the whole situation and did a major rejig of the medication. A regular double dose of metaclopramide and normacol sorted the constipation, nausea and lack of appetite. Along with an increased dose of MST David was a different person within a couple of days.

Once you've got him sorted you could take up knitting the long hairs up into a handy blanket?

Take care and big hugs

Rosy xx