I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

psa rise post radiotherapy

User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 18:45
My husband completed external beam radiotherapy 10 months ago,he had very little side effects at the time,over the last 6weeks he has been having sporadic perineal pain lasting a few hours,this has improved greatly over the last 2 weeks. After debate between urologist and oncologist they came to the conclusion that the radiotherapy could have inflamed pelvic nerves,anti inflammatory drugs are the treatment as and when it happens again which is likely. Our main concern is the psa,after radiotherapy it was 2.4 then 1.7, 1.6, yesterday 1.8 which I was worried about,thought it should be lower not higher at this time. The urologist said he wasn't concerned,we are to put it out of our minds until next appointment in September! Easier said than done,my husband is not on hormone treatment since the radiotherapy. Any advice or thoughts please!!!
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 20:01

Inflammation and infection will both make the PSA rise a little - prostatitis is fairly common after RT but notoriously hard to diagnose. Hopefully the anti-inflammatories do the trick and all is back to normal in September. If you are concerned, you could request a PSA test in 3 months at the GP practice but even if it was eaised it seems unlikely the oncologist would be willing to see you early so perhaps the in-between test would just cause more angst?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 21:08

The first test I had after completion of my radiotherapy was 0.1. I was warned to expect an upturn at the next check (October 2016) as the effects of the hormone treatment wore off. Sure enough it had risen to 0.2. The Onco said everything was on track. I have my next test in April.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the readings can move up and down a bit before reaching a nadir about 18 months or 2 years after completion of treatment. I can't remember where I read this unfortunately.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 Feb 2017 at 20:01

Inflammation and infection will both make the PSA rise a little - prostatitis is fairly common after RT but notoriously hard to diagnose. Hopefully the anti-inflammatories do the trick and all is back to normal in September. If you are concerned, you could request a PSA test in 3 months at the GP practice but even if it was eaised it seems unlikely the oncologist would be willing to see you early so perhaps the in-between test would just cause more angst?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Feb 2017 at 13:41

Thanks for prompt reply Lyn,my husband is unconcerned and happy about time scale for next psa,think it's me that tends to overthink things having some medical background,not always a good thing! I see your reasoning is correct. Thanks again.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 21:08

The first test I had after completion of my radiotherapy was 0.1. I was warned to expect an upturn at the next check (October 2016) as the effects of the hormone treatment wore off. Sure enough it had risen to 0.2. The Onco said everything was on track. I have my next test in April.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the readings can move up and down a bit before reaching a nadir about 18 months or 2 years after completion of treatment. I can't remember where I read this unfortunately.