Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Low risk diagnosis and testing for BRCA2 gene

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 16:34
Hi all,

I am just wondering if anyone else with a low risk PCa diagnosis had considered or got this test to help inform decision whether to treat or use AS?

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 20:33

A couple of members have had it but since BrCA accounts for less than 5% of all prostate cancers not many men meet the criteria.

You have to have counselling first and my advice would be to think very carefully about the unintended consequences. There is a virulent brain tumour gene in my family for which I was to be tested until it was explained to me that if I tested positive my children might never be able to get a mortgage or life insurance or any of the things you normally hope your children will grow up to do. Needless to say, the genetics counsellor persuaded me that it was better not to know and it would be selfish to be tested before they had grown up and got themselves sorted.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 21:27

Ah- I had not even considered that a government might lift the Moratorium on genetics and insurance.

Thank you for the input.

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 22:44

It isn't just the future possibility of the moratorium being lifted; under the current arrangement the threshold of £500,000 life insurance is easily reached if you are covering a mortgage in London, income protection of £30,000 is only just over the average wage now and I don't think the critical illness max was excessive either. I was pleased I had to attend the counselling sessions; we did cover some really useful ground even though I didn't in the end go ahead.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 23:36

Gosh thank you. I had thought under the Moratorium our children could not be asked about the test results of a blood relative, current insurances cannot require disclosure and the financial restrictions on future insurances applied to a required disclosure of the Huntingdons gene only.

Definitely a need to be cautious plus it's only a Moratorium so uncertainty abounds re a BRCA2 test!

KR

User
Posted 18 Feb 2017 at 23:51

No, not that simple and if the threshold is met then the applicant must answer honestly. Plus the agreement only applies to ABI members - there is no equivalent to prevent mortgage providers from asking these questions as far as I am aware.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 00:05

Actually worth mentioning here another unwanted side effect of being diagnosed with PCa, as the last time it was discussed was at least a couple of years ago.

We wanted to take out a mortgage about 4 years ago to give our youngest daughter a deposit for her house. We were refused because of John's diagnosis - it prevents him getting any life insurance. Nor will we able to buy the house in France we had been planning, apparently.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 00:21

Wow.. I had no idea asset backed debt ever came with health questions attached. I thought it was all income and age that they were interested in!

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 08:29
My husband had genetic testing after he was diagnosed with PCa on the basis that his sister and quite a few past relatives had a history of ovarian cancer and his sister had the BRAC 1 gene. He was to,d that at a relatively young age (57) he was likely to be carrying the gene but, no he wasn't a carrier. He decided on the test as a way of informing family members but he was one of six children all who were tested and did not have the gene. Life's a lottery!
User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 10:44

I think that is a great example of what science says Bluey - where there is a cluster in a family people assume that it is going to be a result of genes but in fact is much more likely to be environmental, having grown up in similar area, eaten similar food, breathed in the same dust, etc. The good news for our children is that we can make changes to improve their future.

Edited by member 19 Feb 2017 at 10:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 11:07

Thank you Bluey,

That is the result we would be hoping to hear to take away a nagging doubt re not opting for a radical treatment despite father in law dying of aggressive Prostate cancer in June 2016.

There seems to be a major piece of UK research being done atm on this (26,000 men being the aim) .

My husband is 53 and doesn't want a radical treatment. Plus we have a 26 year old son.

Second opinion in a week so trying to make sure all questions we didn't ask first time around are asked this time!

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 14:43

The best thing you can do for your son is help him to rethink his diet and lifestyle. On the advice of our consultants, our son eats no processed or red meat and loads of tomato, garlic, etc. He drinks only filtered water and nothing out of plastic bottles. We haven't been able to persuade him to completely cut out dairy but he has reduced his intake of cheese to make me happy :-/

The consultant says if we changed the diets of teenage boys we would eradicate PCa within one generation. This seems to be supported by a large US research project and by Prostate Cancer Research UK.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 20:40

I couldn't agree more-,but yes cheese is a difficult give up!

Luclkily he loves cooking from fresh!

User
Posted 19 Feb 2017 at 21:03

:-)