I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Terrible thigh pain following surgery

User
Posted 22 Mar 2017 at 11:00
I had a radical prostatectomy in January. I'm a very active person. I've had a terrible aching pain on the top of my left thigh, so they scanned it, and I had a lymphocele drain last week, along with clexane for a clot that formed in my thigh.

Drain removed I went for a 20 minute walk, and was rewarded with 8 hours of excruciating thigh pain. Anyone else had something similar?

User
Posted 22 Mar 2017 at 13:22

Four weeks after my op (RARP on 26th Jan 2017) I had an uncomfortable lump in my groin, in the next 24 hours my left leg became very swollen. Walking was eye wateringly painful. I was admitted (A&E) and was diagnosed with a lymphocele in my abdomen. After 4 days (Friday to Monday (it was a weekend!!)) I was given the option of draining or nothing. I opted for draining. That afternoon I was told (by a junior doctor) that I should walk (take pain killers and walk through the pain). I did that and the next morning my leg swelling had reduced. I was discharged that day as they believed it would correct itself.

Over the following days I walked and walked further each day with less pain killers and less pain each day and after a week I was pain free. Five weeks later . . . . . my left leg (thigh) is just 1cm bigger than the right leg and I have a volume of water (?) in my pubic area. I also notice that I have a (painless) swelling in my groin. I saw the surgeon 2 weeks back who said words along the lines that "you've had it worse than others but hopefully it will all settle down." I see him again next week.

I don't know what happened or what's happening but I suspect that when they were slicing through my bits they sliced through some of the pathways that lymph fluids use to get from A to B.