I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

TURP after bracherapy.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 10:41

My husband had bracherapy last August and has had a catheter since then, he has had 3 removal trials without success and is shortly to have a fourth, if this is not successful they may perform TURP procedure, has anyone had experience of this?

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 14:13

Hi, Krisi, I'm sure you will soon get an answer. Sorry , I don't have one for you.
Best wishes
LolA

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 15:08

Hello Krisi and welcome to the site.

There are men on here who've had a TURP and I am sure somebody will advise you. When you say Brachytherapy did you mean high dose Brachytherapy?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 15:55

Hi Krisi

I've had a TURP, but not in conjunction with Brachytherapy. It cured my flow rate very well but unfortunately only for about four months before my prostate had to come out. The TURP was not a big deal as operations go..... Any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 16:30
Hi Krisi,

I had a TURP prior to having RT, it was fairly straightforward - I went into hospital on the Friday and came out on the Monday. There were a few blood clots that cleared via the catheter they fitted. I had to wee three times without the catheter before they would let me go home. I didn't experience any pain.

I've been very fortunate, I had the TURP in June 2013 and have been ok since.

Best wishes,

Arthur

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 14:13

Hi, Krisi, I'm sure you will soon get an answer. Sorry , I don't have one for you.
Best wishes
LolA

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 15:08

Hello Krisi and welcome to the site.

There are men on here who've had a TURP and I am sure somebody will advise you. When you say Brachytherapy did you mean high dose Brachytherapy?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 15:25

It was seed implant he had.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 15:55

Hi Krisi

I've had a TURP, but not in conjunction with Brachytherapy. It cured my flow rate very well but unfortunately only for about four months before my prostate had to come out. The TURP was not a big deal as operations go..... Any questions, I'll do my best to answer.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 13 Apr 2017 at 16:30
Hi Krisi,

I had a TURP prior to having RT, it was fairly straightforward - I went into hospital on the Friday and came out on the Monday. There were a few blood clots that cleared via the catheter they fitted. I had to wee three times without the catheter before they would let me go home. I didn't experience any pain.

I've been very fortunate, I had the TURP in June 2013 and have been ok since.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 15 Apr 2017 at 19:58
Hello. My OH had brachytherapy 2 years ago and had quite a few problems afterwards with cystitis type symptoms. He recently had to stop taking his tamsulosin for 10 days for some tests and without tamsulosin the pipes closed up. He was told that if the tamsulosin stopped working then he'd need TURP. The urologist said he had never performed one after brachy and wasn't keen on the idea. But he said he would if necessary. The chances of incontinence is higher. I did google it and there is a film online of the TURP being performed on someone after brachy. The success rates are online somewhere too they don't look too bad.

Thankfully the medication is working well for my OH. Wishing you all the best.

User
Posted 23 Apr 2017 at 12:53

Keeping fingers crossed the next trial will work and he won't need the TURP, his urologist doesn't seem too keen about it either although his oncologist says go for it, doesn't help when the doctors can't seem to agree! Thanks for your reply and hope everything continues to go well.