I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Questions to ask oncologist

User
Posted 24 Apr 2017 at 23:11
Hi all I'm new here. My dad has recently been diagnosed t3b and just been told the by nurse it has spread to the bones. He sees the oncologist 28/4 and he will hopefully get a better idea of what's going on. I just wondered if anyone had an idea of what important questions he should ask or information he should pay particular attention to?

Thank you

Kirst

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 03:40

Hi, First.

I'm sorry that Dad has been diagnosed this.

Let's wait until someone more knowledged than I'm answers to you, but in advance I can tell you that more details will be asked to you, i e age, PSA, Gleason and tests he has had done, on order to help you.

There are many members with bone met here. Don't panic. It all depends on the grade and other things,
but many medical remedies are available nowadays.

On my part, my husband, 68, is going to theatre on a few hours.

Hope everything goes well.

My best wishes for Dad and family,

Lola.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 10:12

The best thing to begin with may be to ask the oncologist to explain the full diagnosis to you, and just listen carefully. Take notes to help you remember the important stuff later. Unless it is covered by the oncologist, I would then ask
- exactly which bones is it in
- is there any other spread anywhere else (like lymph nodes perhaps)
- what is the treatment plan and why
- is there anything they can give your OH to strengthen his bones
- if there are any mets in the spine and spinal cord compression might be a risk later, ask them to explain the signs of SCC to you so that you always know the danger signs
- any dietary advice (which may depend on the treatment plan)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 14:35
Thanks for your reply. Dad has had mri, biopsy and bone scan. He has so far been diagnosed T3b. PSA 29.86 10 out of the 12 biopsy are cancerous and he's been told it's spread to the bones but no other information till he see's the oncologist Friday. He's been on hormone tablets and had his first hormone injection end of last week. Best wishes for you and your husband
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 03:40

Hi, First.

I'm sorry that Dad has been diagnosed this.

Let's wait until someone more knowledged than I'm answers to you, but in advance I can tell you that more details will be asked to you, i e age, PSA, Gleason and tests he has had done, on order to help you.

There are many members with bone met here. Don't panic. It all depends on the grade and other things,
but many medical remedies are available nowadays.

On my part, my husband, 68, is going to theatre on a few hours.

Hope everything goes well.

My best wishes for Dad and family,

Lola.

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 10:12

The best thing to begin with may be to ask the oncologist to explain the full diagnosis to you, and just listen carefully. Take notes to help you remember the important stuff later. Unless it is covered by the oncologist, I would then ask
- exactly which bones is it in
- is there any other spread anywhere else (like lymph nodes perhaps)
- what is the treatment plan and why
- is there anything they can give your OH to strengthen his bones
- if there are any mets in the spine and spinal cord compression might be a risk later, ask them to explain the signs of SCC to you so that you always know the danger signs
- any dietary advice (which may depend on the treatment plan)

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 14:35
Thanks for your reply. Dad has had mri, biopsy and bone scan. He has so far been diagnosed T3b. PSA 29.86 10 out of the 12 biopsy are cancerous and he's been told it's spread to the bones but no other information till he see's the oncologist Friday. He's been on hormone tablets and had his first hormone injection end of last week. Best wishes for you and your husband
User
Posted 25 Apr 2017 at 18:17
Thank you lyn for your advice. I will pass it on to my dad.

Kirst