Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

(in)Continence following Surgery

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 14:57

Hi can anyone help,

8 weeks ago I had my prostate removed using robotic surgery. I am feeling very good in myself and can do most things I did before. I am mildly incontinent and have been using one Tena light pad per day and don't need one at night .My leakage has gradually been reducing and I tend to get small leaks when standing up and if I exert myself.I am doing 3 X 10 pelvic floor exercises morning and evening (Laying down ,sitting and standing).

I am currently leaking between 10 and 30mls. per day, depending what I get up to. I have tried leaving the pad off if I when I am at home for 3 or 4 days .I seem fairly good in the morning but end up with damp pants later in the day am I right in thinking that this will train me to get dry quicker  or is it simply a plumbing problem that will only get better when it's ready.

I am only drinking Decaff tea and coffee and avoiding citrus and fizzy drinks .I do allow myself a glass of wine at the week-end 

Would welcome any comments from any one who has gone through the process or any tips or hints that might help .I would add that tying a knot in it is an option that wouldn't be very helpful !

Thanks Rick

Edited by member 24 Jun 2017 at 19:28  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 22:17

Hi. I am in exactly the same situation. Had robotic surgery 8 weeks ago and feel really good in myself now and suffer only drips and dribbles which are more prone to occur later in the day as well and put it down to the body being more tired later in the day. I also seem to wear the pad because of being over cautious.

I do feel I go to the toilet more often but again maybe this is me choosing to go whenever the opportunity presents itself. I wear the pad because it makes me more comfortable knowing I can take it off when at home without fear of embarrassment should it leak a bit. All in all the situation I find myself in after 8 weeks is so much better than I thought would ever be possible.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2017 at 06:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 18:27

My OH is 4 weeks on Wednesday from robotic surgery, he is dry at night and most of the day but he feels that his muscles get tired by the end of the day and is that is when he gets leakage, he using an app on his phone called myKegel which he finds very useful as it reminds him to do his pelvic floor exercises.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 19:46

Probably best to give it a bit more time before worrying. Eight weeks is not long for recovery from major surgery and your insides will still be sorting themselves out to compensate for the missing bit.

Perhaps (if you are so inclined) record your daily leakage on a spreadsheet and produce a graph ready for your next visit to your urologist. Consultant urologists like graphs (or at least, mine did!). At least that would show you which way the leakage was going.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 21:24

Sounds great for 8 weeks and too early to be worrying to be honest. I was essentially dry immediately with tiny leaks here and there. I didn't change my drinking habits at all including coffee and alcohol. I did PFE every day whether it helped or not. It's hard psychologically to stop wearing pads even if you don't need them. Took me a while. Sometimes if I wear beige trousers I still wear one just in case -- after all women do !!!
A good hint after wearing is to press behind your balls which expels a last good squirt. Also pointing your penis upward in plants prevents leaks. Water has never in the history of the planet flowed uphill !!
Best wishes

User
Posted 25 Jun 2017 at 11:12

Chris J . Thanks for your comments .Presume you meant pointing my penis upward in pants!( not plants), could be uncomfortable if there was stinging nettles about !

Thanks for your help R

Edited by member 25 Jun 2017 at 17:27  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 18:27

My OH is 4 weeks on Wednesday from robotic surgery, he is dry at night and most of the day but he feels that his muscles get tired by the end of the day and is that is when he gets leakage, he using an app on his phone called myKegel which he finds very useful as it reminds him to do his pelvic floor exercises.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 19:46

Probably best to give it a bit more time before worrying. Eight weeks is not long for recovery from major surgery and your insides will still be sorting themselves out to compensate for the missing bit.

Perhaps (if you are so inclined) record your daily leakage on a spreadsheet and produce a graph ready for your next visit to your urologist. Consultant urologists like graphs (or at least, mine did!). At least that would show you which way the leakage was going.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 21:24

Sounds great for 8 weeks and too early to be worrying to be honest. I was essentially dry immediately with tiny leaks here and there. I didn't change my drinking habits at all including coffee and alcohol. I did PFE every day whether it helped or not. It's hard psychologically to stop wearing pads even if you don't need them. Took me a while. Sometimes if I wear beige trousers I still wear one just in case -- after all women do !!!
A good hint after wearing is to press behind your balls which expels a last good squirt. Also pointing your penis upward in plants prevents leaks. Water has never in the history of the planet flowed uphill !!
Best wishes

User
Posted 24 Jun 2017 at 22:17

Hi. I am in exactly the same situation. Had robotic surgery 8 weeks ago and feel really good in myself now and suffer only drips and dribbles which are more prone to occur later in the day as well and put it down to the body being more tired later in the day. I also seem to wear the pad because of being over cautious.

I do feel I go to the toilet more often but again maybe this is me choosing to go whenever the opportunity presents itself. I wear the pad because it makes me more comfortable knowing I can take it off when at home without fear of embarrassment should it leak a bit. All in all the situation I find myself in after 8 weeks is so much better than I thought would ever be possible.

Edited by member 25 Jun 2017 at 06:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jun 2017 at 11:09

Thanks Tony , guess I'm in too much of a hurry ,have been recording my daily leakage  for last 5 weeks at least it seems to be improving, my urologist thought it was good too

User
Posted 25 Jun 2017 at 11:12

Chris J . Thanks for your comments .Presume you meant pointing my penis upward in pants!( not plants), could be uncomfortable if there was stinging nettles about !

Thanks for your help R

Edited by member 25 Jun 2017 at 17:27  | Reason: Not specified