I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Urethral dilatation after TURP

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 19:12

I was wondering if any members have any experience of Urethral Dilatation? I had my TURP in May prior to RT and my flow hasn't improved after 16 weeks. I've just had another flexible cystoscopy and the instrument couldn't be inserted completely due to scar tissue, hence poor flow. So now I am to have a UD procedure. I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this procedure? That would be really helpful.

Thanks.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:09

Hi - put 'stricture' into the search box and it should pull up for you all the members that are in a similar situation or have been in the past.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:37

I had the same problem with an inability to complete an optical cystoscopy because of a stricture. The problem was solved by an optical urethrotomy ( small cut in the scar tissue ), and about three months of self catheterisation, twice per day to keep the wound site open. The optical urethrotomy was done under a light general, no pain and was able to go home the next morning. Crossed fingers, the stricture has not returned and my flow is good.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:49
Kryten

I have have about 8 urethral dilations "but" they were after RARP so I assume I had more scar tissue than you may have. The procedure should be simple and straightforward mine ranged from going home after six hours to spending 8 days in hospitial. It is possible the procedure may need repeating two or three times. Like Tony I have had to perform ISD but for alot longer than Tony did. I did manage to regain my continence after the procedures. My guy did try and avoid cutting into the scar tissue in an attempt to avoid incontinence issues.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 12:32

Self-catheterisation was a breeze. The worst part was having to demonstrate to a (female and much younger than me) nurse that I had understood the instructions and could do it properly.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 17:18
Kryten

The procedure of urinating is actually quite a complicated action. In simple terms the internal sphincter is part of the urine control system. The internal sphincter is part of / attached to the prostate. During my RARP the internal sphincter was removed along with the prostate. My stricture restricted my flow but also apparently helped to hold the urine in the bladder. So my surgeon tried stretching the bladder neck and scarring rather than cutting it away.

I do not know how the sphinter is affected/ compromised by the TURP procedure but I am sure someone on here will have that experience / knowledge.

As Tony said ISD is a breeze.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:09

Hi - put 'stricture' into the search box and it should pull up for you all the members that are in a similar situation or have been in the past.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:37

I had the same problem with an inability to complete an optical cystoscopy because of a stricture. The problem was solved by an optical urethrotomy ( small cut in the scar tissue ), and about three months of self catheterisation, twice per day to keep the wound site open. The optical urethrotomy was done under a light general, no pain and was able to go home the next morning. Crossed fingers, the stricture has not returned and my flow is good.

Tony

User
Posted 26 Sep 2017 at 22:49
Kryten

I have have about 8 urethral dilations "but" they were after RARP so I assume I had more scar tissue than you may have. The procedure should be simple and straightforward mine ranged from going home after six hours to spending 8 days in hospitial. It is possible the procedure may need repeating two or three times. Like Tony I have had to perform ISD but for alot longer than Tony did. I did manage to regain my continence after the procedures. My guy did try and avoid cutting into the scar tissue in an attempt to avoid incontinence issues.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 09:35

Sincere thanks to all for your replies. I'm never quite sure if it's a good idea to ask these questions as different people have different reactions to their op. It's all a bit real and in your face! The thought of self catheterisation fills me with dread!

Colwickchris when you say, "My guy did try and avoid cutting into the scar tissue in an attempt to avoid incontinence issues."

I'm trying to understand why this would be. I thought the prostate controls the leakage not the urethra. Really showing my ignorance now I'm afraid.

I'm off to search "stricture" now thanks Lynn.

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 12:32

Self-catheterisation was a breeze. The worst part was having to demonstrate to a (female and much younger than me) nurse that I had understood the instructions and could do it properly.

Tony

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 17:18
Kryten

The procedure of urinating is actually quite a complicated action. In simple terms the internal sphincter is part of the urine control system. The internal sphincter is part of / attached to the prostate. During my RARP the internal sphincter was removed along with the prostate. My stricture restricted my flow but also apparently helped to hold the urine in the bladder. So my surgeon tried stretching the bladder neck and scarring rather than cutting it away.

I do not know how the sphinter is affected/ compromised by the TURP procedure but I am sure someone on here will have that experience / knowledge.

As Tony said ISD is a breeze.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 27 Sep 2017 at 22:30

Thank you Chris. I agree about urinating being a complicated 'taken for granted' action. I guess I'll know more after my UD. Thanks to all for responding. It is what it is.