I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prosate plus bladder cancer

User
Posted 25 Oct 2017 at 14:15

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014 and treated with High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (Hifu). An MRI scan last month discovered a recurrence or the cancer - or perhaps it simply wasn't successfully dealt with in the first place - which was followed by a template biopsy a couple of weeks ago. I will find out what grade the cancer is next week when I am told the results of the biopsy. I want to prepare myself as best I can for the consultation, as I will almost certainly have to consider what course of treatment to try next. The situation is complicated by the fact that I am also being treated for bladder cancer, so far successfully, with BCG, a form of immunotherapy. My understanding is that options for treatment - either for the prostate or the bladder - can be mutually exclusive. In other words, if I were to have radiotherapy for my prostate, I would not then be able to have radiotherapy on my bladder at a later stage. I am sure my consultant will be able to explain the position when I see him, but I would like to go in there with some prior knowledge. Can anyone help? Depending on the grade of cancer, I may be suitable for another Hifu treatment, although I do have the feeling that the outcome would be the same, with a recurrence a year or so later. I initially opted for Hifu as I wanted to avoid radical surgery and the potential side effects. Has the time come for me to reconsider?

User
Posted 25 Oct 2017 at 18:25
Hi Johnk,

I don't have experience of dealing with bladder and prostate cancer at the same time. I would imagine that your consultant will explain what the possible treatment options are and how they interact with your current treatment.

You have a lot to deal with, will there be someone with you at the consultation to help take all the information in?

I wish you all the best, please update us when you can. Also I wanted to reply in the hope that someone with more experience than me will reply to you. Ian.

Ido4

User
Posted 25 Oct 2017 at 19:09

HIFU works best where there is a small amount of cancer on one side only. As you say, it can be repeated and may be worth doing so if the template biopsy shows that the tumour lends itself to a further HIFU treatment to the Prostate, this might leave it possible to treat the bladder with radiation. Also, it could be worth asking about the suitability of Cryotherapy as an option for the Prostate.

Your situation complicates the situation and hopefully your consulting team will advocate what they feel is best for you.

Barry
User
Posted 26 Oct 2017 at 16:16

Hi Johnk,

I had bladder cancer five years ago, probably caused by the radiotherapy on my prostate five years earlier. I had repeated treatments before I got the all clear on the BC. Because of the recurrences and the high risk of a further recurrence and the fact that BC is much more dangerous than PCa, I was advised to go for the ultimate treatment of bladder and prostate removal. I did so and the BC has never returned. Whilst I hope you are never faced with such a decision, I want to assure you that it is not the end of the world to have that radical cystectomy and normal life goes on.

My best advice is to focus on getting rid of the BC. You can take your time with the other horror show. To the best of my knowledge although radiation of the prostate is known to carry the risk of setting off bladder cancer, the reverse is not true, ie, bladder radiotherapy has not been found to cause or exacerbate prostate cancer.

Good Luck

AC

User
Posted 27 Oct 2017 at 18:31

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'll see what my consultant says next week and assume that I will be given enough time to make a considered choice. It can be a bit tough dealing with two cancers. Just as one goes into remission, the other one seems to become aggressive, but so far I've managed to juggle things without having to face radical surgery.