I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Is it back?

User
Posted 13 Nov 2017 at 21:56
Well it seems a lifetime since I've been here. Possibly 4 years. My husband sailed through his 7 weeks radio therapy followed by 2 years hormone therapy. He went on to have 6 monthly blood tests at the hospital. Finally being discharged from there to his own GP for the tests. This is the 3rd time he had a test at the doctors only to be called by the doctor to say that there has been a raise in his PSA and they were referring him back to the consultant and we should hear something in the next 4 - 6 weeks. It's now at 2 where it's been at 0.04 since hormone therapy. I'm worried, what does this mean 😢Xx
User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 08:49

Hello Denise,
Sorry to see you have reason to be back.
I can't answer your question but hopefully somebody will now see it.
Best Wishes
SandraI

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 09:10

Hi Denise

Check my profile to see rise and falls of PSA since RT HT ended. You would expect some increase as there is still a prostate.

I had a rise to 1.96 a few months back which prompted a refferal followed by a MRI scan and biopsy. No cancer found.

Ray

Edited by member 14 Nov 2017 at 09:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 11:44

Thanks Andrew xx

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 08:49

Hello Denise,
Sorry to see you have reason to be back.
I can't answer your question but hopefully somebody will now see it.
Best Wishes
SandraI

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 09:10

Hi Denise

Check my profile to see rise and falls of PSA since RT HT ended. You would expect some increase as there is still a prostate.

I had a rise to 1.96 a few months back which prompted a refferal followed by a MRI scan and biopsy. No cancer found.

Ray

Edited by member 14 Nov 2017 at 09:13  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 09:45
Thanks for that Ray, that's very comforting. I spent so months on here when my husband was going through his treatment and met some really nice people. Some of whom I still keep in touch with on social media etc. The forum faded into the background but it's lovely it's still here when needed.

Denise xx

User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 10:52
Thanks for your best wishes Sandra, only time will tell. I just don't like the wait 😔
User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 11:18

As has been said, it's perfectly normal for PSA to rise for RT-treated prostate people when the hormones finish, and '2' is the upper range of that. If it continues to rise, then will be the time to be concerned.

It's called a "PSA bounce"is usually a reaction of the remaining normal prostate cells after being released from the hormone suppression. It will usually drop again, but not to the almost zero experienced during the hormone therapy.

It is conceivable - but unlikely - that it is more serious than that, so if there's no other issues, there's probably no need to worry too much.

A referral back is the safe and sensible thing for a GP to do, but a repeat PSA, if you have to wait for an appointment, would be a useful action, too.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 11:44

Thanks Andrew xx

User
Posted 14 Nov 2017 at 20:28

Keep on top of your PSA results,

Xmas 2016 PSA 1.7 had a PET /CT scan nothing seen
Put on four monthly tests [Kiss of Death]
May PSA 3.1
June next PET / CT scan three tumours now treatable but not curable [it was back]

Barry

User
Posted 15 Nov 2017 at 08:28

Thanks for that Barry. He's been having 6 monthly blood tests since having Radio Therapy. It just this last one that been raised. No symptoms of anything and feels good in himself. Fingers crossed

Denise xx

User
Posted 05 Dec 2017 at 21:43
Seen the consultant today and Kev is going to have a CT scan and Bone scan. Next appointment 9th Jan when all results should be back. I hopes its just the 'PSA bounce' staying positive. He feels well, no symptoms of anything. Hope there's such a thing as a blip

Denise xx

User
Posted 06 Dec 2017 at 11:33

The waiting game and 'normal life' (from your other post) rarely go hand in hand. The best we can aim for is a new kind of normal life and do what you have been doing - overcoming the obstacles as they come along. You can see the scans as not good news or they're just making sure. Fingers crossed its the latter.

Enjoy the festivities.

Ray (my next PSA result is 20th at the hospital - so it could be an early xmas present or not - life will do what life will do -:).

User
Posted 08 Dec 2017 at 22:08
Good luck with your test Ray xx