I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

SPA level

User
Posted 14 Dec 2017 at 12:18
Hello, I've been having regular PSA checks since 2010 when a chance reading of 5.4 led to further checks and a negative biopsy. Since then PSA has gone up and down in the range 4.7-6.1. It then climbed to 6.8 and a check 2 months later 7.68. I'm now scheduled to see Urologist again as I am concerned with a 0.88 rise in only 2 months (high PSA velocity?). Am I right to be so worried!?
User
Posted 14 Dec 2017 at 15:36

Hello Alan and welcome to the site

Of course you're stressed and we all pretty much know that feeling.

For you it is the uncertainty. I see that you previously had a biopsy but could I just ask, have you been checked for infection ?

I'm sure you'll get advice from others that can help ease your stress

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Dec 2017 at 15:58

Of course you’re worried, but they are seriously not bad figures for a man of your age. Did you know that even a bike ride or ejaculation the night before a PSA test can easily affect the figure by as much as 0.88. Many doctors forget to tell patients about that. Good to get it checked out though. You may simply have age related swelling of the prostate BPH.

User
Posted 14 Dec 2017 at 17:31

You will have a normal for you PSA level that will fluctuate. However combined with that is at least two consecutive increases which requires further investigation.

Good luck

Ray

User
Posted 14 Dec 2017 at 18:09

0.88 rise in 2 months is not a high velocity rise when the starting point is 6. The medics look at doubling time - a doubling time of 6 months is worrying and of 3 months or less is very worrying.

You can put all your PSA tests and dates into an online calculator which will work your doubling time out for you - assuming your previous test was done in August and was the 6.1 one, your current doubling time is 33 months / 2.7 years

But as others have said, it is sensible to discuss with the urologist.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Dec 2017 at 10:49
Thank you for those replies guys I do feel a little easier. Thanks again.