User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 09:49

Hi there

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2016

I was immediately started on Hormone injections

I had 37 session of external beam radio therapy in August/September 2016

I was seen by a doctor at Christmas 2016 my PSA was 0.3

I saw my consultant onco in April 2017 my PSA was 0.2

My next appointment was April 2018 when I saw a doctor, not the consultant. My PSA was 1.2 ..... the doctor has booked me another appointment in 3 months time. In truth I could not really tell what the doctor was saying other than he needed to see if my PSA continues to rise. I did ask about fatigue as I have noticed that the hills are getting steeper and I queried why I had not been tested for 12 months but I might just as well have been reading the football results as I got no response.

Should I be concerned?

Barry

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 17:41

Barry, you still have a functioning prostate which has recovered from the RT so you should expect the PSA level to rise as it has. The question is, will it stabilise at around 1.2 or is there some PCa still in your system to cause it to rise further? Hence the retesting. You should not be concerned at this stage. Your onco is on the ball. Your energy level is of course a result of the HT. Regular exercise and keeping your weight under control should resolve this.

Good luck

AC

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 19:32

I don’t think I would be very comfortable with only having a PSA test once every 12 months. You do realise that you can ask for a PSA test at your GP practice every 3 or 6 months? You don’t have to wait for the hospital.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 17:41

Barry, you still have a functioning prostate which has recovered from the RT so you should expect the PSA level to rise as it has. The question is, will it stabilise at around 1.2 or is there some PCa still in your system to cause it to rise further? Hence the retesting. You should not be concerned at this stage. Your onco is on the ball. Your energy level is of course a result of the HT. Regular exercise and keeping your weight under control should resolve this.

Good luck

AC

User
Posted 19 Apr 2018 at 19:32

I don’t think I would be very comfortable with only having a PSA test once every 12 months. You do realise that you can ask for a PSA test at your GP practice every 3 or 6 months? You don’t have to wait for the hospital.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 May 2018 at 14:38

Hi everyone

I have just received a letter from the doctor I saw in April saying that if my PSA continues to rise he will order a restaging CT scan. Does this mean they will be reassessing my cancer to see if it has spread. He did not mention this to me whilst I was with him or I would have asked

Thanks

Barry