Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Nuclear medicine bone scan

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 08:05
Hi,

My partner is having investigations for prostate cancer after going to the GP (PSA 8). He has had a ct scan and biopsy, and is due to see the consultant next week for results. However he has received an appointment for a bone scan the week following his consultant appointment, to us this feels like a confirmation of cancer, as why else would they be concerned about the spread of it? Does anyone have any experience of something similar?

Thanks

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 13:22

Hi,

From my limited knowledge of this (l had biopsy, MRI and bone scan) it could be to show that there is NO cancer in the bones not to show there is cancer.

Arthur

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 13:34

Hi Sarah,

Don't read into this that it is thought he will have PCa spread to bone. Whilst it can happen, it is rarely the case that a man with PSA prior to treatment of 8 has PCa to bone, so odds are in his favour.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 14:33
Hi Sarah

Over the past ten years or so my husband has had several bone scans and they were all clear so I’m fairly sure that it is standard procedure just to check that it hasn’t spread .

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 16:26

Some hospitals routinely bone scan all men diagnosed while others only scan if they suspect spread. We had the same experience as you - we already knew that cancer must have been found as the scan appointment came through before we had actually seen the urologist to get the results. The hospital apologised profusely and we ultimately felt it was better that way than to have to wait ages afterwards for the full diagnosis but that didn't make it any less scary in the intervening time.

So yes, it is reasonable to prepare yourselves for the news that PCa has been found but not to catastrophise that the bone scan has any particular significance. If he turns out not to have cancer you will be mightily relieved and will at least have a base line for future monitoring.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2018 at 16:27  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 13:22

Hi,

From my limited knowledge of this (l had biopsy, MRI and bone scan) it could be to show that there is NO cancer in the bones not to show there is cancer.

Arthur

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 13:34

Hi Sarah,

Don't read into this that it is thought he will have PCa spread to bone. Whilst it can happen, it is rarely the case that a man with PSA prior to treatment of 8 has PCa to bone, so odds are in his favour.

Barry
User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 14:33
Hi Sarah

Over the past ten years or so my husband has had several bone scans and they were all clear so I’m fairly sure that it is standard procedure just to check that it hasn’t spread .

User
Posted 27 Apr 2018 at 16:26

Some hospitals routinely bone scan all men diagnosed while others only scan if they suspect spread. We had the same experience as you - we already knew that cancer must have been found as the scan appointment came through before we had actually seen the urologist to get the results. The hospital apologised profusely and we ultimately felt it was better that way than to have to wait ages afterwards for the full diagnosis but that didn't make it any less scary in the intervening time.

So yes, it is reasonable to prepare yourselves for the news that PCa has been found but not to catastrophise that the bone scan has any particular significance. If he turns out not to have cancer you will be mightily relieved and will at least have a base line for future monitoring.

Edited by member 27 Apr 2018 at 16:27  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard