Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Kidney function test

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 14:29

Hi;

My Husband was diagnosed in  November psa 16 T2c/T3a Gleason 3+4 no nodes or seminal vesicles and bones clear he is on Prostap and going for Radiotherapy.

Psa dropped from 16 to 0.2 after 3 months on prostap then weirdly jumped to 2.7 after the end of the 2nd 3 month prostap (we think it was right at the end of the injection life) so we had another blood test 8 weeks into 3rd prostap and his psa is now down to 1.9 still waiting on testosterone levels.

Our GP has asked him to go for a Kidney function test which has spooked the OH and I am hoping this is just routine check whilst on Prostate?

any feedback gratefully received. Also is it good that the psa is 1.9 on Prostate? the drop wa so good to begin with that we are a little worried it went up.

Testosterone results back tomorrow.

Many thanks everyone

Jenny

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 19:46

Hi Jenny

My husband has chronic kidney disease he was sent for a kidney function test about 6 years ago unfortunately it turned out his kidney function was at about 25% , it has now gone down to 12%, initially he was told it was not to do with his prostate cancer but since then they have said that his treatment could have caused it. I hope your husband gets on ok and although Tony's Kidneys are not working very well he has not been ill with it at all, gets tired a lot but he is almost 74 . good luck with the test .

regards Barbara/

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 20:06

Jenny, was he on bicalutimide (casodex) at the beginning? It might be that the casodex disguised enough testosterone to starve the cancer cells down to 0.2 but the Prostap is not holding him under castrate level so the PSA has risen because the cancer is managing to feed. The Testosterone test result will be important to working out why his PSA is jumping around.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 21:34
Hi Lyn

Yes he was on casodex for 3 weeks at the beginning. You are absolutely correct.

What should we look out for with testosterone results tomorrow?

Jenny

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 21:40
Found out after speaking to Gp the repeat kidney function is because his potassium was slightly high so repeat In 4 weeks ( minus bananas in diet!)

Lyn would they add casodex to his prostap next if testosterone wasnt low enough? What would side effects be on top of prostap? He is getting flushed every hour or so at the moment .

Thanks again

User
Posted 10 May 2018 at 22:40

The testosterone should be 0.69 or less - that shows that the prostap is working correctly.

I don’t think they would add bicalutimide back in this early although they sometimes do that further down the line

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 14:25

hi Lynn - we got the results and his testosterone is 2.3 which is disappointing - does this mean its not working?

User
Posted 11 May 2018 at 14:27

the nurse at PCUK said it was like a dimmer switch turning off and can take a while? he started prostap in November/casodex for flare.
Psa dropped to 0.2
then 2.7
then 1.9 -- first T level taken this week 2.3