Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Second leg about to commence...

User
Posted 18 May 2018 at 10:02

Morning everyone.

I've reached yet another crossroad, and thought I share it.  Last year, I was diagnosed Gleason 9, T3a, PSA 22 (age 53 then).  I had the robotic surgery, but the post-surgery report found cancer in 1 (of 10) lymph node, and I had positive margins on the bladder neck.  So I started Bicalutamide 150mg and had lots of radiotherapy to prostate bed and lymph node area.  I found the radiotherapy extremely hard, by the end of it the fatigue had effectively laid me out.

Throughout all of this, I'm a parent to a lively 10 year old daughter, a rock climber, and self employed therapist.  My life requires sharp mind and active fit body.  So that didn't work!

PSA score 6 months post radiotherapy was <0.003.  Today's (12 months) is also <0.003.  I'll take that!  The issue I have is with fatigue caused by the Bicalutamide - it is extreme.  In fact, too extreme, so I have stopped taking as of this week.  14 months was enough for me, the onco wanted two years.  Can't happen.

So there's my crossroad - I have chosen the path of no meds, crossing fingers and hoping the PSA keeps the same.  Have I made the right decision to come of the Bical?  Who's to know.  The first leg has been very hard, but now in the past.  Second leg of the journey commences here...!

User
Posted 18 May 2018 at 15:10

I’m sailing on the same ship as you. Quality of life to me has been of utmost importance despite being 50 and having an 8 yr old boy. Click my picture and read my profile !! Everyone is different. I didn’t even have RT but my case was different to yours. I’ve had an excellent year of all round living and loving , when I could have been spending it having HT /RT and spending half my days sat in traffic and feeling rotten from side-effects. It’s your cancer and your choice ! I never even wanted the surgery and maybe should have stuck with that decision