I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Biopsy Fears

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 18:24

I was diagnosed with a begnign enlarged prostate 5 years ago,up to now that’s been a mild inconvenience and I haven’t had any treatment for it.

I’ve had regular PSA tests and recently, it was suficiently high (8)for my GP to refer me to a Urologist with some urgency,

I have volunteered to take part in the ‘Cadmus’ study at Charing + Hospital,which involves me having Ultra Scan as well as MRI  scans, so I have had both and was really hoping I wouldn’t have to have a biopsy as it sounds like an invasive procedure which could result in side effects including erectile disfunction issues which I already have some problems with and I don’t like the sound of other symptoms of the biopsy like blood in semen for 6 weeks after,I’ve recently met someone and it’s going well and this could put a strain on our relationship,but a surgeon called me yesterday and told me I should have a biopsy and he wanted me to agree on the phone.

He also mentioned on the phone my PSA has gone from 4-8 in April this year,I have agreed to have the biopsy,now I’m afraid of side effects from the biopsy and I’m afraid of what they might find.

Would be interested to hear other people’s experience of Prostate biopsy.

For the record,ive had the Biopsy today,targeted 

transperenial biopsy at Charing Cross Hospital and the procedure was fine for me,

I was sedated before they gave me the local anaesthetic and I wasn’t aware of a thing until I came round in the recovery area,I was in and out in 3 hours.

so far I’ve had no blood in the urine,just more frequent presumably because the prostate has swelled.

Ive also had no pain so far but I think the local anaesthetic hasn’t worn off yet.

It remains to be seen what the results and longer term effects may be but the procedure was a lot better than I feared,thanks for the feedback.

Edited by member 28 Jun 2018 at 14:50  | Reason: Have had a biopsy now

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 22:18

Jonathan 

My experience was pretty much as Chris described.  The only real difference is I wasn't in as much pain as he was.  An unpleasant experience, but not as bad or as painful as I had feared.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 22:38
Hi Johnathan,

My experience was also very much like Chris'

I had very little pain both during and after the procedure and I had no blood in my urine.

It is nothing to be afraid of and best to get checked out.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 23:34

Hi Jonathan,

Do you know what type of biopsy you are having? The experiences of the guys here having 12 core TRUS biopsy’s is very different to my husband who had 46 cores taken from a small prostate during a template mapping biopsy for which he was given a general anaesthetic. He did recover fully ( he was 100% functional before)  but there was a lot of blood in the semen for sometime after ( we used condoms to deal with the issue) and his erection Took a while to get back to full strength plus he was very bruised. I think I described it in my profile if you want the full impact. 

I just wanted to give you a template biopsy story. 

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 09:52
Template biopsy here under general anaesthetic (nearly three years ago now, doesn't time fly). No real problems, slight discomfort for a day or so afterwards but no blood whatsoever in the urine apart from a single time when it was tinged pink. Apart from having to sort out somebody to take me to and from the hospital and be with me overnight which they insist on (being one who lives alone) it was almost a non event.

User
Posted 01 Jun 2018 at 07:35

I had a template biopsy under general anaesthetic in January, and frankly it was not much worse than going to the dentist - at least with a biopsy they knock you out during the procedure! Thinking back three or four months, I can’t recall much post operative pain. I went into theatre around 10am and woke up on the recovery ward at midday. The procedure itself takes 20-30 minutes. I had 42 cores sampled.

I was back on the day case ward around 12.30, and I discharged myself about 2.30. They wanted me to stay longer, but I felt fine. The worst thing is the first few urinations after the catheter has been removed, (which they do whilst you are still knocked out) as that feels like you are passing razor blades. The urine starts off as claret, then changes to rosé finally becoming a normal Chardonnay after a couple of days. I had my first pint at 7 that night as they say you should drink plenty of fluids - doctor’s orders. I was given painkillers before I was discharged but I never needed them.

I did end up with a bloody big purple blue and yellow bruise the size of my hand on my perineum and scrotum. And I had phlebitis in the vein on my hand for a few weeks where the cannula was inserted, but it was only painful if I touched the vein.

My semen was pink for the first few ejaculations, and little Peter didn’t seem to take kindly to being assaulted and hid himself away for a while, but all was back to normal within a couple of weeks.

Best of luck with yours.

Cheers, John

Edited by member 01 Jun 2018 at 07:41  | Reason: Not specified

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 21:03

Hi Jonathan,

I had a TRUS biopsy a fortnight ago, so perhaps I can relate my experience.

You’ve presumably had a DRE? You basically adopt the same position for the biopsy - you lie on your side, knees drawn up to your chest. The surgeon then inserts the ultrasound probe into your rear passage. This is uncomfortable, there’s no denying it, but it doesn’t hurt. The next part does hurt a bit - you’ll be scratched by the needle to administer the local anaesthetic. Exactly the same as at the dentist (same drug, I think), but it’s in a more sensitive area! You won’t feel a thing after that - just a vibration and a “click” sound as each sample core is taken, probably about 12 cores in total. The whole process takes 10-15 minutes. The probe is then taken out, and (in my case at least) the surgeon put some anti-inflammatory/painkiller paste inside me. I then went back to a room, was given a cup of tea and a biscuit, and lay down for an hour. They won’t let you go until you’ve urinated. Don’t panic - it’ll look like pure blood, but that’s entirely normal.

Once the local anaesthetic wore off, it ached like hell inside me for about 36h, but paracetamol took the edge off it. The first day I had a LOT of blood in my urine, and my urination was a bit “stop and go” (the biopsy badly bruises your prostate and it swells up) but that soon tailed off and by about day 3 I just had a red “spurt” at the start, then clear urine, and another dribble of blood at the very end. The first couple of times I had a bowel movement, I had a fair amount of blood come out of my penis (I guess it puts pressure on your prostate and makes it bleed). Blood in the urine entirely disappeared after a week. I didn’t get any blood come out of my rear end - some people do.

No impact whatsoever on erectile function or ejaculation, although I was too sore to think about it for a couple of days. First time I ejaculated (about a week after the biopsy) it was vivid red - looked like pure blood - but now a week later it’s the usual white with just streaks of blood in it. There’s no health risk from this to either you or your partner.

You’ll be given strong antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection. I had an injection in my backside at the start of the biopsy, and was then given tablets to take twice a day for three days after. These gave me a slight case of “the runs”, but no other side effect (and, more importantly, no infection).

I hope that’s helpful to you. It’s definitely not a pleasant process, but nothing to worry about.

Hope it goes well for you,

Chris

Edited by member 30 May 2018 at 21:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 22:18

Jonathan 

My experience was pretty much as Chris described.  The only real difference is I wasn't in as much pain as he was.  An unpleasant experience, but not as bad or as painful as I had feared.

Ulsterman

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 22:38
Hi Johnathan,

My experience was also very much like Chris'

I had very little pain both during and after the procedure and I had no blood in my urine.

It is nothing to be afraid of and best to get checked out.

Best Wishes

User
Posted 30 May 2018 at 23:34

Hi Jonathan,

Do you know what type of biopsy you are having? The experiences of the guys here having 12 core TRUS biopsy’s is very different to my husband who had 46 cores taken from a small prostate during a template mapping biopsy for which he was given a general anaesthetic. He did recover fully ( he was 100% functional before)  but there was a lot of blood in the semen for sometime after ( we used condoms to deal with the issue) and his erection Took a while to get back to full strength plus he was very bruised. I think I described it in my profile if you want the full impact. 

I just wanted to give you a template biopsy story. 

Good luck

Clare

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 08:41

Ok. Stop worrying.

An ordinary 12 core biopsy is more embarrassing than painful. A mild anaesthetic is used. The worst  you feel is an internal flick as each sample is taken and I do not believe that ED is an issue with the procedure. Yes, there is a little flecking of blood in your semen but this is brown, not red, and transient. In my experience, the worst thing about having a biopsy is that it is definitive for the presence of cancer and it was this which bothered me more.

This is a terrible time for many men and the love and support of your partner is key in helping you through it.

I wish you low percentage cores of beautiful benigness but if it is the worst you are dealing with it promptly. I wish I had.

Good luck brother

Bazza (Barry)

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 08:52

Thanks Barry,

It seems im entering a world of uncertainty which I was happy not to be a part of but just trying to take it as it comes a day at a time.

Its good to know there are others out there who have been through this before.

Best wishes 

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 09:52
Template biopsy here under general anaesthetic (nearly three years ago now, doesn't time fly). No real problems, slight discomfort for a day or so afterwards but no blood whatsoever in the urine apart from a single time when it was tinged pink. Apart from having to sort out somebody to take me to and from the hospital and be with me overnight which they insist on (being one who lives alone) it was almost a non event.

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 10:01

Thanks Dave,

Ive has a cyscospsy before and a Colonoscopy so I imagine it’s not much worse than those,

I’m supposed to be doing a ten mile walk 4 days after which may be a bit optimistic but I’ll see

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 10:42
A huge amount of early day stuff is psychological. Take it from me.

Best advice: don't Google. Don't worry about a result you don't yet have and when you do get it - and should it not be as you wanted - own your power to control your own mind. There is so much time on your side.

User
Posted 31 May 2018 at 16:28

Very helpful 

thanks Chris

User
Posted 01 Jun 2018 at 07:35

I had a template biopsy under general anaesthetic in January, and frankly it was not much worse than going to the dentist - at least with a biopsy they knock you out during the procedure! Thinking back three or four months, I can’t recall much post operative pain. I went into theatre around 10am and woke up on the recovery ward at midday. The procedure itself takes 20-30 minutes. I had 42 cores sampled.

I was back on the day case ward around 12.30, and I discharged myself about 2.30. They wanted me to stay longer, but I felt fine. The worst thing is the first few urinations after the catheter has been removed, (which they do whilst you are still knocked out) as that feels like you are passing razor blades. The urine starts off as claret, then changes to rosé finally becoming a normal Chardonnay after a couple of days. I had my first pint at 7 that night as they say you should drink plenty of fluids - doctor’s orders. I was given painkillers before I was discharged but I never needed them.

I did end up with a bloody big purple blue and yellow bruise the size of my hand on my perineum and scrotum. And I had phlebitis in the vein on my hand for a few weeks where the cannula was inserted, but it was only painful if I touched the vein.

My semen was pink for the first few ejaculations, and little Peter didn’t seem to take kindly to being assaulted and hid himself away for a while, but all was back to normal within a couple of weeks.

Best of luck with yours.

Cheers, John

Edited by member 01 Jun 2018 at 07:41  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Jun 2018 at 00:18
John had his biopsy on the way to work one morning. No blood in urine or semen, no problem, forgot all about it and was rather surprised when he was then diagnosed with cancer.
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 02 Jun 2018 at 15:00
The biggest concern with biopsy, particularly the TRUS one where the cores are taken through the rectum, is that an infection may occur. If this does happen it is sometimes very difficult and a lengthy process to overcome with antibiotics. It is therefore very important to take the antibiotics that are supplied at the time and a further course should this be necessary.
Barry
User
Posted 08 Sep 2018 at 11:44
I was extremely lucky with my biopsy. I was told that I would be given sedation rather than a local anaesthetic ,I awoke in the recovery room , without any pain and was sure that they hadn’t carried out the biopsy !, ( they had !!) Not all biopsy’s are painful & I wasn’t given any post biopsy antibiotics . The hospital was obviously VERY concerned about infection , giving me various solutions to wash with pre operation , indeed I was more concerned about infection than the biopsy. No problems afterwards.